• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

GC|Simon

I searched but found nothing. Feel free to close the thread if this already popped-up on NeoGAF.

Engadget.com has an inside-look-video on the development of the Xbox One, watched it and the following line caught my attention:

"We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment play." (at the 5:43-minute-mark)

Link to the article: http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/building-xbox-one-an-inside-look/
Direct link to the video: http://www.viddler.com/v/10738ac4?secret=81714898

What do you think about this approach? How will it affect the battle with Sony?

EDIT: Another interesting tidbit:

"(Microsoft wouldn't give us specifics other than to say, "The system is designed for an SoC up to about 100W, but will vary on the scenario.")" - out of the article to the video from above.

For comparison's sake: this is slightly above the power draw of the current Xbox 360 Slim and PS3 Slim (source).

The price is still going to be expensive because of that stupid Kinect. They didnt target the highest end because they couldn't afford to. Also mandatory instalations means a mandatory HDD. What a crock.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well, everything pointed to this.

But it's still disappointing. And I think it showed in what was presented.

Mandoric

Banned
That's a given, and it's equally true for any console ever that isn't the Neo Geo.

Still a pretty dumb thing to say in a hype video.

Well, everything pointed to this.

But it's still disappointing. And I think it showed in what was presented.

it doesn't really mean anything cause guess what, ps4 is nowhere near the highest end graphics either (MID TO LOW TIER pc gpu etc)

also, how did it show in what was presented? only ghosts looked crap, and i'm sure that'll look the same on both next gen platforms.

the other stuff was either non-gameplay angle (thus hard to judge) or looked at least on par as any other next gen stuff teased yet.

Khaz

I guess there won't be massive graphical gap between it and the WiiU after all.

Not that it will help it getting games though.

Sydle

The most powerful console has never "won" a generation. It comes down to content and experiences. We'll have to see if people care about what MS is offering. They obviously have the technology (seriously, I though it was slick as hell) to make a very strong, unique play in the broader entertainment sense.

I'm getting both.

Kareha

I think they thought Sony would cheap out and not make a very powerful console so thought they could get away with spending less. I bet they shit themselves when Sony dropped the 8GB GDDR5 bomb.

We'll have to wait and see just how the general public responds to the restrictive nature of Xbox One. They may not care much at all. Ditto on the graphical capabilities.

What's really going to matter is the price of the console, I think. Even if the PS4 is far and away the superior choice for hardcore gamers.

orioto

Good Art™
Japan is just so smart.

The whole Wii strategy was just there to lure Microsoft into a wrong strategy so Sony can reclaim the throne.

Ty4on

In the GT aftershow one of the guys working on the Kinect said two frames of lag or 66ms.

33ms means 30fps :/

The price is still going to be expensive because of that stupid Kinect. They didnt target the highest end because they couldn't afford to. Also mandatory instalations means a mandatory HDD. What a crock.

bu-bu but for the past few weeks I've heard nothing but how much moar munnies MS has than Sony which will allowz them to buy all teh hardwearz and geamz!!!!

Arcteryx

Yea, this was pretty obvious from the beginning: all the talk of the DVR, Skype, "cloud", no used games, etc. They want to "lock-in" users to the Xbox ONLY.

Good luck with that.

Loomba

I want a gaming console not an entertainment center, hardcore gamers and early adopters will only buy the most powerful. Especially if the PS4 releases first.

The most powerful platform has NEVER, I repeat NEVER, sold the most consoles in a generation.

All the same, PS4 is probably a fair bit more powerful given that MS were so cagey about the 8GB of RAM and revealed no GPU or CPU clock speeds, features etc.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
what a poor choice of words when you're trying to sell new hardware, which historically has always been about "What graphical improvements will I get for my money?!"

because honestly, that's what matters in the first two years of a consoles life cycle, where is the improvement and where is the hint at what we could expect in the future of the console.

Top Bottom