• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

kennah

How much time should I put aside for the Master Sword DLC challenge? I want to clear it in one sitting. I'm on 30 hearts.
Buckle in. If you’re good at parry and dodge and what not shouldn’t take you more than a few hours.

If not... well it’ll be a long day.

Just beat Ganon, was a bit rough going straight for the castle after not playing in months but it wasn't so bad since I knew I could blow through my inventory to finish it

Hope they make another Zelda game for the Switch

What's the posing of the Waem Doublet if it doesn't keep me warm in cold areas? What am I missing?
There are like "3 levels" of cold in the game. The doublet raises your temperature one level, which is good enough for mildly cold areas. For colder areas you need one or two more items (on different body parts) to get sufficiently warm.

Tip:
equipping a fire weapon will raise your body temperature one level. You can combine that with one or two items of warm clothing. Fire arrows don't work for this. Only swords, spears and rods.

TheMoon

What's the posing of the Waem Doublet if it doesn't keep me warm in cold areas? What am I missing?

your temperature gauge.

it's not binary hot vs not hot, cold vs not cold.

ever went outside in a sweatshirt and a vest when it was quite chilly and it was fine, then went out in the deepest winter and RIP you unless you had a proper winter jacket, hat, gloves, boots on?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What's the point the Warm Doublet if it doesn't keep me warm in cold areas? What am I missing?

There's levels to hot and cold. Warm Doublet will keep you warm in a -1 area, but anything beyond that will require either better gear or a food buff.

BFIB

I've really missed playing this, but didn't want to erase my status with my endgame on my profile.

Started up master mode.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I finally beat Ganon on Master Mode the other day. It's crazy how
you can reflect damn near everything back at him. The only thing I never tried bouncing back was the spear throw

almost 900 hours into this, played it already 4~5 times, still finding new ways to do things. If i only purchased botw for my switch, i already have more time in it than many consoles.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
almost 900 hours into this, played it already 4~5 times, still finding new ways to do things. If i only purchased botw for my switch, i already have more time in it than many consoles.

You sound like my sort of guy.

I'm still on my first playthrough and must have clocked up about 250-300 hours so far, getting a hell of a kick out of exploring off the beaten path things that I rushed past at the beginning. Still haven't ventured near the Castle much.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, if you don't reflect everything back at him then his health keeps regenerating and you can never kill him. On hard mode the fight requires you to not only be super aggressive in attack but perfect in terms of reflecting attacks back at him. It's actually a pretty decent challenge.

The flaming ball of death is pretty easy to bounce back, the timing is super simple. The multiple short beam blasts can also be bounced back but the timing on that attack isn't as easy. The standard beam blast is actually annoying as shit while he's on the wall (during hard mode) due to the fact the timing is altered from normal.

you can reflect the spear too.

I thought this might be the case, I should try and figure out the timing on this at some point.

Quick question for you guys. I've had this game for awhile but I'm still early in the game. If I'm following the main quest, will the game eventually take me to all areas of the map, or is it expecting me to explore most of it?

For example, I just got to Zora's Domain and the game seems to be pushing me further north, but I've done nothing on Mount Lanayru or Lanayru Bay. Should I be exploring these areas on my own or will there game eventually bring me here? I think I just can't stand the thought of missing out on some big areas.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Quick question for you guys. I've had this game for awhile but I'm still early in the game. If I'm following the main quest, will the game eventually take me to all areas of the map, or is it expecting me to explore most of it?

For example, I just got to Zora's Domain and the game seems to be pushing me further north, but I've done nothing on Mount Lanayru or Lanayru Bay. Should I be exploring these areas on my own or will there game eventually bring me here? I think I just can't stand the thought of missing out on some big areas.

The game's main quests won't take you everywhere, but they will take you to all but two of the major areas. If you do all the quests however, those should wind up taking you to all the major areas.

Kevtones

Well I'm dumb. I had 118 shrines, felt stuck. Looked at my shrines and saw two I unlocked were orange (incomplete).

They were two tests of strength 😊

legend166

So I got the game a couple weeks ago and I've put about 40 hours in so far. I'm really, really enjoying it.

What's the post game like? I've beat two Divine Spirits so far and I think I'm at nearly 50 shrines. Can you still run around the world doing Shrines and side-quests after beating the main quest?

bomma_man

So I got the game a couple weeks ago and I've put about 40 hours in so far. I'm really, really enjoying it.

What's the post game like? I've beat two Divine Spirits so far and I think I'm at nearly 50 shrines. Can you still run around the world doing Shrines and side-quests after beating the main quest?

Yeah, after you beat the final boss you just start back outside the castle. There’s no ‘post game’ as such.

watershed

Banned
So concerning the story dlc and the new dungeon: originally I speculated that the dungeon would be
under hyrule castle and tied to those giant Sheikah towers around the castle that housed all the guardians.
But what if instead it is a 5th divine beast? One that was intended for the Hylian Champion but was never unearthed and somehow lost to time? I think that'd be pretty cool.

So concerning the story dlc and the new dungeon: originally I speculated that the dungeon would be
under hyrule castle and tied to those giant Sheikah towers around the castle that housed all the guardians.
But what if instead it is a 5th divine beast? One that was intended for the Hylian Champion but was never unearthed and somehow lost to time? I think that'd be pretty cool.

i would love it

Hylian

Hi, it is my birthday, got switch as a surprise present from my wife (had zero idea). Got Breath Of The Wild as well (will get Mario for holidays). Omg, this game is towers above what i anticipated, im in constant awe of all the mechanical details and item combining and treasure finding stuff you can do in this game and i'm yet to leave the plateau. The scale of the mechanics and the world with the ironclad nintendo design ,with no worry at all about getting lost in this huge world is a feat in itself. I have played all the previouse zelda games multiple times since the days of nes (zelda II is my favourite) but the formula started to get bit stale , was more impressed by The witcher 3 than skyward sword. But oh boy is this return to form. Thank you Nintendo this game is Sogood.gif.

Jrmint

I was reading some of the early pages of the thread and everyone is saying how many hours they've played.

How do I see that? Mind you I've only had a switch for a couple of weeks.

jariw

I was reading some of the early pages of the thread and everyone is saying how many hours they've played.

You should see the approximate play time after about a week in your Switch user profile. Don't remember if the account needs to have an internet connection or not.

you need to link a nintendo account to the account you are playing. The switch will show in increment of 5 hours the time you have of the game.

Sigurd2990

Neo Member
35+ hours into the game and I absolutely love it. I just enjoy walking and seeing what comes.

And only finished one main dungeon so far! Reading this thread gives me that itch to go back to play.

jdforge

Banned
Finally beat Ganon after over 120 hours of just exploring and messing around. I have still so much more to do, shrines and many, many quests to complete. I adore this game.

Recreat3

I bought the dlc last night so i could get the korok mask. Does buying it automatically make your game hard mode..i swear the enemies seen tougher and those white/blue looking moblins have a ton of health who i dont think o have seen in the game before last night..

I bought the dlc last night so i could get the korok mask. Does buying it automatically make your game hard mode..i swear the enemies seen tougher and those white/blue looking moblins have a ton of health who i dont think o have seen in the game before last night..

no no, master mode is separate, no need to panic!

Macleoid

Just got my Switch and BOTW. Starting a new job in a week with a 2 hour daily train commute so needed something to keep me entertained on the go!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Did my 120th shrine last night. I'd left Eventide to last after two previous failures, and my it felt good to win it. Took a slow emotional ceremonial walk up to the Monk just because it felt right to do so.

119th was a bit of a strategic disaster though. I'd read about the Forgotten Temple, and am still scared of Guardians, so I concocted a Master Plan: I'd steal a disposable fast horse, ease it down the canyon and gallop past those fuckers - they wouldn't be expecting that. Hadn't surveyed the temple beforehand so was mightily cross that the entrance was not at ground level ...

... that focused me enough that I just flew straight through, not even bothering with tough armour - just dropping a couple of yards if a shot was coming, and made it first time. I think I got lucky.

jnWake

Did my 120th shrine last night. I'd left Eventide to last after two previous failures, and my it felt good to win it. Took a slow emotional ceremonial walk up to the Monk just because it felt right to do so.

119th was a bit of a strategic disaster though. I'd read about the Forgotten Temple, and am still scared of Guardians, so I concocted a Master Plan: I'd steal a disposable fast horse, ease it down the canyon and gallop past those fuckers - they wouldn't be expecting that. Hadn't surveyed the temple beforehand so was mightily cross that the entrance was not at ground level ...

... that focused me enough that I just flew straight through, not even bothering with tough armour - just dropping a couple of yards if a shot was coming, and made it first time. I think I got lucky.

Forgotten Temple I also cleared like that. It felt like Star Fox or Star Wars while flying and dodging lasers lol.

Volotaire

Hi all.

I have just bought a Switch, started playing Zelda and I'm in love.

I have a question about difficulty.

Would you recommend starting a 1st time playthrough on hard difficulty?

So far, I have just got off the Plateau. Although I have died a number of times from environmental situations (falling) and a few of my initial battles, I am now finding the combat relatively straightforward.

I think it could be more challenging if I were to play on hard, although I am still very early in the game!

I will be purchasing the season pass in any case for the extra DLC story content.

I'd like to make a decision at this stage because I don't want to replay too much of the game on another difficulty.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all.

I have just bought a Switch, started playing Zelda and I'm in love.

I have a question about difficulty.

So far, I have just got off the Plateau. Although I have died a number of times from environmental situations (falling) and a few of my initial battles, I am now finding the combat relatively straightforward.

I think it could be more challenging if I were to play on hard, although I am still very early in the game!

I will be purchasing the season pass in any case for the extra DLC story content.

I'd like to make a decision at this stage because I don't want to replay too much of the game on another difficulty.

Thanks in advance!
Hard mode all the way! It makes the game very challenging comparatively. Do you enjoy running from encounters you cannot overcome at the moment? Does saving your weapons and health for greater situations excite you? Eventually you’ll reach kill em all status, but it’s much slower of a progression.

Twookie

Here's some cute fanart
fanart thread is dead rip

this pic makes me happy for some reason
v2dxhriosxoz.jpg

Slight ending spoiler on this one

Hard to say really, for me atleast.

The game kinda gets as hard as you want it to be, so if you grind out all the shrines for all the heart/stamina upgrades and upgrade your armor then it gets pretty easy.

Personally I didn't find the hard mode that much harder outside of the start of the game and some encounter. It makes every encounters take more time since you have worse weapons.

In your case I'd probably just try out both(since you say you are going to buy it anyway), as you will have separate saves for each game mode.
See if you like the plateau on hard mode etc

ajjow

I have just finished this. 119 shrines and 406 kokorocs.

Its easily in my top 3 best games ever. Theres some stuff that I would improve, like more story and cinematic situations, but the game is utterlygood that i almost cried because it was over.

Speachless. Really amazing. The music, design Dungeons and Shrines.... man.... and I had just finished the witcher 3 just before startingthis one. Now i feel empity. Todays my birthday but I feel sad...

Volotaire

Hard to say really, for me atleast.

The game kinda gets as hard as you want it to be, so if you grind out all the shrines for all the heart/stamina upgrades and upgrade your armor then it gets pretty easy.

Personally I didn't find the hard mode that much harder outside of the start of the game and some encounter. It makes every encounters take more time since you have worse weapons.

In your case I'd probably just try out both(since you say you are going to buy it anyway), as you will have separate saves for each game mode.
See if you like the plateau on hard mode etc

Hard mode all the way! It makes the game very challenging comparatively. Do you enjoy running from encounters you cannot overcome at the moment? Does saving your weapons and health for greater situations excite you? Eventually you'll reach kill em all status, but it's much slower of a progression.

Thanks for the responses! Yeh, I'm enjoying my encounters with enemies that are clearly much stronger than me, (and running if needs be!) and I have mostly enjoyed the strategic element of weapon degradation thus far.

I'll try the Plateau on hard and see how it fares tonight. It also gives me a chance to test out handheld mode!

Volotaire

Holy cow... hard mode. I thought this would be a relative piece of cake.

So I wander about, encounter my first enemy, it's a blue moblin. They're everywhere! I proceed to die after underestimating its aggressiveness.

Encountering small encampments is now the most terrifying aspect of the game. I usually don't have enough weapons to take on a small camp, so I'm using stealth a lot more! Even when I encounter a small group of enemies, I have to think before I act because I may not have enough weapons to eat past the enemies' regenerating health. In my first shrine, I had no weapons and I was forced to use a box with magnesis to repeatedly kill the mini guardian.

As I was strolling past Temple of Time, I heard a ferocious roar. I took a look and there was this Zebra minatour thing walking around in the fields. It spotted me and started charging towards me. I noped my way out of there back to safety.

Also, as I was walking towards the first shrine, a moblin spotted me and blew its horn. Immediately, a platform with balloons started floating and a moblin started attacking me with fire arrows! Moblins can use fire arrows?!

It's hard, terrifying and much slower, but I am really enjoying my time with hard mode at the moment.

I wonder if I can keep it up.

As a side note, I tried the Japanese VA on this mode. Zelda sounds better from her few sentences, but I'm not sure about the King so far with his grunts. However, the King's monologue in English highlighted the shortcomings of the VA. Perhaps it will be better in Japanese.

I wonder if I can keep it up.

As a side note, I tried the Japanese VA on this mode. Zelda sounds better from her few sentences, but I'm not sure about the King so far with his grunts. However, the King's monologue in English highlighted the shortcomings of the VA. Perhaps it will be better in Japanese.
You can! To make it a bit easier, once you start clearing shrines and acquiring reasonable weapons.... you’ll survive.

I’m also a big fan of the Japanese VO versus it’s English counterpart. Hard Mode, Pro HUD, Japanese Audio for the wiiiiiin!

Holy shit, fuck the master trials. For the beginner trials 12 floors is way too fucking much to go without a save. I used all of my food just to survive 11 and now I have to fight the Hinox with six hearts. Holy SHIT.

Don't think I'll go back to them after I finish this room (if I do).

Edit: Done. Lots of arrows and stasis. Fucking BYE.

NOT that I'm going to do them, but for the middle trials or whatever, do you go back in with the same items you collected in beginner trials or is it a totally new set?

Top Bottom