• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS

Pachimari

Remember when last year I said this year 3 new unnnounced games will be out/annnounced and I'm so hyped about all of them?

You may or may not want to be SUPER HYPED for a new game announcement on the 20th March.

MANY of you will be hyped, I know I will

EDIT: I know it sounds bragging and mean....but I swore on my firstborn I won't add anything else.
I'll only get super hyped if it is a port. And not SuperHOT. Let it be Stardew Valley.

I am still wondering which iPad is best suited for gaming. The mini because of the better grip you have or the normal sized one to enjoy a bigger screen experience. I imagine especially ports and board games play much better on a 9.7 inch screen.
I've had both and prefer the 9.7 to the mini. But it's really a personal preferences so try them both out.

Edit:
The critically acclaimed Sunless Sea by Failbettergames is coming out March 23rd on iPad:
http://toucharcade.com/2017/03/02/sunless-sea-will-start-haunting-our-ipads-march-23rd/
Oh shit! I'm there day one even though I already got it on Steam and never really tried it out.

After The End is excellent. A single level can range from 5 to 15+ minutes. It's a little bit Journey, a little Poco Eco, a little Monument Valley

awp69

A bit off topic but Google Play's changes to highlight sales are pretty cool. The pages now have a "List price" with a strike through and the new price. But in addition, like PSN and XBL, it also says "sale ends in 7 days" for example.

Google Play is still a complete mess compared to the App Store but would be nice to see Apple implement something like this, particularly in regards to length of a sale.

One other thing of note -- Google is finally allowing apps to go on sale for "free". Not sure what changed their minds on that.

Pachimari

I'm all for 1942 coming to the platform, but I kind of fail to see why we should get excited. Aren't there a 1944-2 game coming too? Or something along those lines.

Oynox

Personally, I found the mini to be just perfect. Not too unwieldy but large enough to enjoy the big screen

Mini or 9.7 imo. The 12.9 is too much for most games but some are better on it just because larger screen size. if they do a new mini that matches the 9.7 new release in internals get it. else you will be 1 gen behind and 1 year less of support for games running great.

I prefer the 9.7 inch screen for iPad gaming. The Mini felt cramped in some games (to me) and the screen didn't feel much larger than my phone to be honest.

That plus it's not powerful enough, might as well go with the 9.7 and better yet, wait for the rumored March event with new iPads.

Yeah, it can only help you to wait to purchase an iPad right now since the new model are rumored to be announced soon.

I've had both and prefer the 9.7 to the mini. But it's really a personal preferences so try them both out.

Thanks for the opinions. Seems like the majority prefers the 9.7 inch model. The 12.7 is too big too me as well. And I was already wondering when new iPad would be announced so I stay tuned for this month I guess.

KuroNeeko

Hey, GAF!

I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Ubisoft / Capybara's Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes and was hoping, no, wishing for something like it on mobile. Anyone know anything like it? I've only played it on 360, but it was my most played game for that year...2013?

I really hope Tom Francis' new game Morphblade comes to mobile. It was inspired by Imbroglio, and it would easily be up with the best alongside Hoplite and 868/Imbroglio if it was on iOS

http://store.steampowered.com/app/494720/
ss_6afdf5cc80590a8dcfb63b6dbd4d215a564b5291.1920x1080.jpg
ss_e75a52d703abe599692456b43523c0a6720bbc80.1920x1080.jpg

I like After The End, but I'm liking Pan Pan even more. I also think Pan Pan might have the best touch controls in the isometric exploration puzzler genre, and plays wonderfully one-finger portrait on iPhone

Yeah, I've played in on Android! Just wondering if there are any other games like it! ^^
Pixel Puzzle Defenders might share some similarities. It's a matching puzzle/turn-based combat hybrid
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixel-defenders-puzzle/id558503628?mt=8

Pachimari

Okay, so I decided on buying Pan-Pan, The Escapist and After the End. Let's see what it's all about. I need to dedicate more time to these mobile games.

Best

Any views on The Escapist? Sounds really good just how does it compare to the console/of version? How does it control?

Boney

Banned
http://toucharcade.com/2017/03/02/1...of-the-battlefield-commando-coming-to-mobile/

If I had spent the money I wasted in Ghost'n'Goblins and 1942 in Apple stocks, I would be the richest man on earth.

I'm not confident about the ports, but I want to believe.
Do they have terrible 15 year old ports of these for mobile to port from?
At the very least they shouldn't be conceptually effed from the start since you don't need jumping and shooting simultaneously like MM.

How's the old GnG by the way? Is it a port of the PSP one?

PittaGAF

Today was a good (rainy) day.

Completed Sine Mora once again.
Still awesome and still brutal.

Almost completed the (great) added content of Red's Kingdom.

Made huge progresses in Invisible Inc.

Debating between Pan Pan and After the End, but while AtE trailer looks better made, saw some videos and I'm leaning towards Pan Pan more.
Looks like a blend of an open world Monument Valley with alien/criptic puzzles to solve.

I love iOS gaming.

Btw I played a bit with a Switch.
Cool and all but now that portable...I mean...it's portable like an iPad mini.
I expected it to be a bit smaller.
Zelda is awesome tough.

Today was a good (rainy) day.

Completed Sine Mora once again.
Still awesome and still brutal.

Almost completed the (great) added content of Red's Kingdom.

Made huge progresses in Invisible Inc.

Debating between Pan Pan and After the End, but while AtE trailer looks better made, saw some videos and I'm leaning towards Pan Pan more.
Looks like a blend of an open world Monument Valley with alien/criptic puzzles to solve.

I love iOS gaming.

Btw I played a bit with a Switch.
Cool and all but now that portable...I mean...it's portable like an iPad mini.
I expected it to be a bit smaller.
Zelda is awesome tough.

I used it for a bit yesterday. impresssed. Probably picking mine up soon. Will probably rebuy world of goo, isaac on it lol. Isaac physical is defo beong bought.

Pachimari

I played After the End for 10 minutes, the slow pace killed it for me, and made me totally not interested. This happens with a lot of mobile games, and I feel like we could maybe be more critical toward the games being released. I see so much praise, and almost all the time they turn out to be uninteresting games. And no, I am totally in love with mobile gaming and have been since the first iPhone and even back on the old dumb phones. But I'm wasting money way too many times.

awp69

I played After the End for 10 minutes, the slow pace killed it for me, and made me totally not interested. This happens with a lot of mobile games, and I feel like we could maybe be more critical toward the games being released. I see so much praise, and almost all the time they turn out to be uninteresting games. And no, I am totally in love with mobile gaming and have been since the first iPhone and even back on the old dumb phones. But I'm wasting money way too many times.

Well, I think a lot of it is taste. I'm loving After the End and don't see it as slow paced but everyone's different. I think most people here are honest with their opinions and aren't afraid to be critical.

Part of the inherent nature of threads like this, however, is that people post about games they like and not about the ones they don't. So we may hate other games and would be critical, but don't post about it.

If a game is high profile, then yeah, we may post negative things about it if we don't end up liking it. I mentioned that I really didn't like The Escapists but know a lot of others do and recognize that as more of my taste in games.

Anyway, sorry you aren't enjoying After the End.

PittaGAF

Played Pan Pan for a good chunk of the night and loving it.
As More_Badass already said, controls are superb.
Solved some puzzles and left some behind with absolutely no clue about what to do, but some ideas already pop up while not playing it.
Great atmosphere.

If you like slow paced exploration in a alien world with no hand holding, I highly recommend it.

PittaGAF

The puzzles in Pan Pan are fantastic.

That fucking bird drove me nuts.

EDIT: just completed Pan Pan.
What an awesome little gem.
Keep me entertained for the whole week end. When I wasn't actually playing it, I was thinking how to solve the puzzles.
I highly recommend it, I think it took me around 5 hours, perfect length.

Got some clarification on Sunless Sea, since some were confused about compatible devices
At launch, Sunless Sea will require iPad Air+ support (requires arm64) and iOS 8+. That should include the following devices: ipad mini 2, ipad pro, ipad air, ipad air 2, ipad mini 3, ipad mini 4.
So us iPad Mini 2 owners will be fine

NeoRaider

Everyone that didn't should really play Evil Factory. I fucking love it!

I am huge boss fight games fan but i wasn't expecting this quality and to have so much fun with this game. Already finished more than 15 levels and game is becoming really hard now. I really like how bosses are all different and very interesting to fight.

awp69

I've played some of Pan Pan but having trouble getting into it so far. After the End is utterly brilliant though. Just finished Episode 6 and am blown alway with how intricately designed the levels are.

It's like Lara Croft GO, Monument Valley and even a bit of Portal rolled into one. Love how the camera adds another dimension to the game, having to rotate to navigate your way through the labyrinths. Truly amazing stuff.

killercow

The full GRID: Autosport game is coming to iOS "this spring" by Feral Interactive (Rome: Total War):
https://twitter.com/feralgames/status/839068394423009280

C6T3eS6XQAEr0q3.jpg

The Mac version, also ported by Feral, is sold at €40. Will be interesting to see the pricing for this one. The game's also 17GB.

Edit: Got my answer, the game will be a one time purchase of €/$/£10 and will support MFi controllers. No words on the app size for now.

Pachimari

The full GRID: Autosport game is coming to iOS "this spring" by Feral Interactive (Rome: Total War):
https://twitter.com/feralgames/status/839068394423009280

C6T3eS6XQAEr0q3.jpg

The Mac version, also ported by Feral, is sold at €40. Will be interesting to see the pricing for this one. The game's also 17GB.

Edit: Got my answer, the game will be a one time purchase of €/$/£10 and will support MFi controllers. No words on the app size for now.

This is one of those ports I can see myself skipping. Especially now that I bought a wheel set for my PC. I hope they'll eventually tackle one of the newer Total War games.

killercow

This is one of those ports I can see myself skipping. Especially now that I bought a wheel set for my PC. I hope they'll eventually tackle one of the newer Total War games.

They are still working on bringing standalone expansions to Rome so I doubt we'll see a new one yet. Would be great though.

I'm not personally a huge fan of racing sim but this speaks more for the platform. This is a recent console game that features some interesting tech (rewind feature, destructible cars) and is another great premium port so I'm glad to see that those are still happening :)

Pachimari

I'm not personally a huge fan of racing sim but this speaks more for the platform. This is a recent console game that features some interesting tech (rewind feature, destructible cars) and is another great premium port so I'm glad to see that those are still happening :)

Yeah don't get me wrong, the more premium games the better, and the more ports the better. Ports are my primary games on iPad, and GRID: Autosport will be a good fit. Personally I hope they'll bring something else to the table next though.

Top Bottom