• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! My GAF account finally got approved! I've been looking forward to being a part of the Easy Allies community here. I recently became a patreon backer albeit I could only afford $3 a month at the moment but I'm glad I can contribute something. Love and Respect to everyone!

Dmax3901

Hi everyone! My GAF account finally got approved! I've been looking forward to being a part of the Easy Allies community here. I recently became a patreon backer albeit I could only afford $3 a month at the moment but I'm glad I can contribute something. Love and Respect to everyone!

Awesome! Welcome to the patronhood and to GAF!

Charamiwa

Banned
Naughty Dogs's last 5 games have scored 88 or above on metacritic, I dont think its an apt comparison to Nintendo which has released a lot of subpar games in the last year, including 1-2 Switch and Federation Force. This could easily be more like one of those.

I cant help but feel that everyone that's getting excited for ARMS is ensuring the next Metroid or DKC game never gets made. But maybe im wrong? Im a single-player game kind of person so Arms is bleh for me.

No offense to you Hasney, i know we go at it a lot.

I don't see why Naughty Dog would be allowed to have a good track record that gives confidence in the company but the Mario Kart team wouldn't? Their previous game just scored a 94 on metacritic if it matters that much. So when they come out with a new thing like Arms people can be excited.

Arms is not releasing on PSN next week, it's a major new IP from a trusted team. And since it's from Nintendo we can expect it to get a big spotlight and a lot of updates. People are already loving the characters and the one who played it at events are generally positive on it. No offense but this "if it was on PS4 nobody would care" argument is textbook Colin Moriarty, he used to argue that all the time with Splatoon, and it really rubs me the wrong way. I mean, why not argue the other way, that a game like that would never work on PS4 because Sony would never market it the way Nintendo would? Why is it a negative that some game can thrive on a Nintendo platform and not anywhere else? Sony doesn't dictate what a successful game should be.

Karu

is the audio in these mini reviews kinda muffled? or atleast the VO? sounds super compressed.
I had that feeling ever since they got the booth tbh. Didn't say anything because I dunno if it was just my imagination haha.

@ MLB Show review: Have no history with these games or the sport in general, but it kinda blows my mind they JUST implemented those bat-physics, seems kinda essential. huh.

MrMette

I had that feeling ever since they got the booth tbh. Didn't say anything because I dunno if it was just my imagination haha.

@ MLB Show review: Have no history with these games or the sport in general, but it kinda blows my mind they JUST implemented those bat-physics, seems kinda essential. huh.

Yeah, I think it's just the boot we have to get used to it again. I had the same feeling for the reviews after the boot was shown, so I can imagine it's just the lack sound insulation or something like that.

Btw, it's not something that annoys me per se, but I did notice it sounded a bit more "muffled", for lack of a better word. It seems like there are less highs or something (but I am not at all an expert in sound, so I can be completely wrong).

Mista Koo

Naughty Dogs's last 5 games have scored 88 or above on metacritic, I dont think its an apt comparison to Nintendo which has released a lot of subpar games in the last year, including 1-2 Switch and Federation Force. This could easily be more like one of those.

I cant help but feel that everyone that's getting excited for ARMS is ensuring the next Metroid or DKC game never gets made. But maybe im wrong? Im a single-player game kind of person so Arms is bleh for me.

No offense to you Hasney, i know we go at it a lot.
Well you can't compare a studio's output with a whole company's output, especially a studio whose last 5 games are 5 shooters 4 of which are in the same series and targeting the same audience. The Arms team is the Mario Kart team which has a good track record, and since the restructuring it's technically the same team as Breath of the Wild :p
All that we're saying is that a major new IP from Nintendo excites a lot of people similar to how one from Naughty Dog would.

And you are very wrong. Metroid and DKC aren't developed internally and are produced by a different group. Also Metroid is not lucrative and the last DKC wasn't a long time ago. The only other Arms caliber new IP was Splatoon since maybe Pikmin. Plus Arms is a fresh take on fighting games and we barely get enough fighting games in general.

I could be wrong, but even though the booth is there, I don't think Brandon's used it for anything yet. He still has to get some gear to set up inside.

I played the original as a kid on my friends Master system. Loved the wonder boy games. Especially monster world. Will have to check out this remake. It looks great

Same here. Great game, I think it might've even been the first game I ever beat. Crazy thing is, I'd completely forgotten about it right up until I watched some footage of the remake and the old school mode took a hammer of nostalgia to my head.

I'm really looking forward to picking it up when I have the time, which probably won't be till like 2018 at the current rate.

Hasney

Same here. Great game, I think it might've even been the first game I ever beat. Crazy thing is, I'd completely forgotten about it right up until I watched some footage of the remake and the old school mode took a hammer of nostalgia to my head.

I'm really looking forward to picking it up when I have the time, which probably won't be till like 2018 at the current rate.

Yeah, if I didn't have a Switch I'd probably wait. This is going to be great for public transport/cooking/TV/long periods of matchmaking on other consoles to dip into. Much like I did with the ridiculous looking Master System cart converter to Game Gear.

Welcome and congrats on getting your account approved :)

Mista Koo

I really liked what Ben said during hottake. The othering of Japanese developers by western media/developers bothers me a lot.

I too couldn't get into Animal Crossing until New Leaf. I still don't like games with no traditional end state. I got into that one when Villager was announced for Smash, and the main thing I was going for is customizing the house. I don't think I even ended up showing off the final version. But to highlight my problem with such games I got into a pattern of going to the island every day to stay brown and catch enough sharks to get enough money to do everything I want. After tens and tens of hours I realized that I wasn't having fun at all.

What's up with all the Arms disrespect here smh

y'all need to play more Virtual On/Gundam VS/Gotcha Force, to say the least
I don't like mecha. But arms has great character designs and vibe and I love fighting games.

What's up with all the Arms disrespect here smh

y'all need to play more Virtual On/Gundam VS/Gotcha Force, to say the least

We're finally going to get a good fighting game this gen. Belieeeeve!

Who am I kidding, it'll probably be a great game with terrible netcode.

Axass

Welcome to the family!
*cue Aunt Rhody*

abrack08

When you remember there's a Gundam stream to help get through the end of the work day

kn4I9cG.gif

Welcome to the board and welcome to the community!

ShadyK54

E4Ry9Fs.gif

Welcome!

That Cup of Jones was great.

Re: Gifts, while i appreciate the gesture it seems that this effort could go to the Patreon or Sub. The shelf space runs out and some of these gift have somewhat ridiculous requirements (like "dance for me puppets") moments.

It's my humble opinion

Hasney

If Ben isn't reviewing things, I think he should Czech out Cosmic Star Heroine. It looks right up his alley.

That Cup of Jones was great.

Re: Gifts, while i appreciate the gesture it seems that this effort could go to the Patreon or Sub. The shelf space runs out and some of these gift have somewhat ridiculous requirements (like "dance for me puppets") moments.

It's my humble opinion

I like the gifts, but yeah, the dance for me stuff is annoying.

18dtklX.gif

ShadyK54

I think gifts are fine. I like to think that more often than not, those who send gifts are already supporting EZA through Patreon and Twitch subs.

Does it really happen that often & I'm just being oblivious?

The only time that comes to mind is the whole thing with the box & stuff for Kyle (even though it was a very very nice gift).

Christ that Huber Syndrome is depressing.
You read about FOMO, but that's some sad stuff when you're not playing games you enjoy because you're desperate to see what's next.
The guy talked about Yakuza Zero and For Honor for literally years and stopped playing when he was enjoying them to play something else for no real reason other than its "new".
Yikes.

RE: the box gift

I get it, I was definitely at a point like "man just let Kyle open it already" but I think it was more the mix of general stream looseness/chaos not gelling well with his instructions

It was all in line with the progression of the project, as things kept getting delayed and taking longer it became larger scale and more insane until it ended up as a particularly weird and wonderful thing

The progression was like:

We're making a book, gonna get it signed by Woz - "whoa cool"

Ok we're making a seal - "oh, alright sure"

Ok there's gonna be a box, and it's gonna be engraved - "whoa what"

*messages me one morning* "ok I want the box to play a song, here's my idea, can you make this" - "oh uh wow....yeah let me throw something together real quick"

I love how it turned out and I think overall it's a reflection of the insanity that is BvW. The intentions were good with the instructions, I think it was less "our gift is so great, you need to follow these instructions" and just trying to make the moment as grandiose of a payoff as possible for those who worked on it and for Kyle receiving. Like again, this was like 8 months in the making lol

Though obviously, if you're someone who didn't know about it that isn't going to mean much to you. Which ties into the latest Cup Of Jones.

(I know no ones really questioning the gift being awesome, just the "do this and this" nature of it)

They also need to cover new games because it's their job.
Yeah I know Ben in particular has stated "we don't actually have to" because of Patreon, but they still keep current to have discussions every week. There's no obligation for everyone to cover everything thoroughly, they can focus on what they want, but they're still having multiple podcasts and streams every week

It becomes way worse in a situation like this year when all of the things everyone has been hyped on for like 2 or more years suddenly all comes out within a 3/4 month timeframe lol

ShadyK54

RE: the box gift

I get it, I was definitely at a point like "man just let Kyle open it already" but I think it was more the mix of general stream looseness/chaos not gelling well with his instructions

It was all in line with the progression of the project, as things kept getting delayed and taking longer it became larger scale and more insane until it ended up as a particularly weird and wonderful thing

The progression was like:

We're making a book, gonna get it signed by Woz - "whoa cool"

Ok we're making a seal - "oh, alright sure"

Ok there's gonna be a box, and it's gonna be engraved - "whoa what"

*messages me one morning* "ok I want the box to play a song, here's my idea, can you make this" - "oh uh wow....yeah let me throw something together real quick"

I love how it turned out and I think overall it's a reflection of the insanity that is BvW. The intentions were good with the instructions, I think it was less "our gift is so great, you need to follow these instructions" and just trying to make the moment as grandiose of a payoff as possible for those who worked on it and for Kyle receiving. Like again, this was like 8 months in the making lol

Though obviously, if you're someone who didn't know about it that isn't going to mean much to you. Which ties into the latest Cup Of Jones.

(I know no ones really questioning the gift being awesome, just the "do this and this" nature of it)

When put into perspective a little more like this, the more I can appreciate the chaos lol.

Mikey Jr.

I would love to see them do quick looks like giant bomb does. Brand new release. Have 2 guys play half an hour of the game. Maybe have picture in picture of them.

I would love to see them do quick looks like giant bomb does. Brand new release. Have 2 guys play half an hour of the game. Maybe have picture in picture of them.
That's what their streams are though (minus 2 guys, generally)

I thought Don't Skips would be like Quick Looks, but they're basically reviews where they didn't have to finish the game to make a video about it. Which is cool but Huber even said it's basically same amount of work as a review. Most of the time removed is probably just the playtime itself, and makes it a bit easier to talk about likes/dislikes versus a full critique

Curious. Would you put the statue duels I've done into that category? That was something of an idea that popped in my head to do fun "bonus" content than just to provide a gift. But put wagers and stakes to it. And it's something I planned on wrapping up but the idea of a Ben v Brad duel intrigued me. And I included a vote for the game as another form of inclusion (and I couldn't settle on an anime game that I knew tbhey owned)

I have always been appreciative that they play along. The Amazon gift card has limited characters so I'm always struggling to fit in my message. So I usually run out of the (if ya want) kind of disclaimers the first two had. If they didn't want to do it I'd be fine. But I felt it's been a fun addition to the group streams now and again.

Bottom line. I never considered them that but I guess how it could seem that way to others

Hasney

Curious. Would you put the statue duels I've done into that category? That was something of an idea that popped in my head to do fun "bonus" content than just to provide a gift. But put wagers and stakes to it. And it's something I planned on wrapping up but the idea of a Ben v Brad duel intrigued me. And I included a vote for the game as another form of inclusion (and I couldn't settle on an anime game that I knew tbhey owned)

I have always been appreciative that they play along. The Amazon gift card has limited characters so I'm always struggling to fit in my message. So I usually run out of the (if ya want) kind of disclaimers the first two had. If they didn't want to do it I'd be fine. But I felt it's been a fun addition to the group streams now and again.

Bottom line. I never considered them that but I guess how it could seem that way to others

Nah, the duels are cool. The prescribed list of things that should be done upon opening are crazy.

Anaithsol

Neo Member

When taken at face value, your series of gifts would certainly fall into that category. I don't intend to knock on the efforts of the Community Project crew, but their recent endeavour didn't call for the level of attention and instruction that was demanded. The first package they sent out was great in the sense that it'll have lasting significance throughout the years since the belt and nameplates can be utilized in various situations whereas the second package was pretty much a show of appreciation largely skewed to one particular ally and nothing more.

Your approach is welcome in my eyes because it gives back to the community at large as a source of content for both the audience and Easy Allies crew. It's not solely a show of appreciation coupled with a series of mandates to play up the gift's appeal.

Again, I don't mean to depict this as a scenario of what's right and what's wrong. I'm solely providing an explanation as to how some people can be okay with what you're doing and still have issue with gifts that have instructions attached.

Mikey Jr.

That's what their streams are though (minus 2 guys, generally)

I thought Don't Skips would be like Quick Looks, but they're basically reviews where they didn't have to finish the game to make a video about it. Which is cool but Huber even said it's basically same amount of work as a review. Most of the time removed is probably just the playtime itself, and makes it a bit easier to talk about likes/dislikes versus a full critique

Yeah, but I was thinking it could be something they could put on the main channel, be a little more produced, and not so informal.

WarRock

We're finally going to get a good fighting game this gen. Belieeeeve!

Who am I kidding, it'll probably be a great game with terrible netcode.
You. You are a bad person who needs to play more fighting games and have more hope in your heart.

There are plenty of good fighting games. Just no good fighting games with cool ass special intros like Alpha 3 or GGAC. Why devs, why

mishakoz

Well you can't compare a studio's output with a whole company's output, especially a studio whose last 5 games are 5 shooters 4 of which are in the same series and targeting the same audience. The Arms team is the Mario Kart team which has a good track record, and since the restructuring it's technically the same team as Breath of the Wild :p
All that we're saying is that a major new IP from Nintendo excites a lot of people similar to how one from Naughty Dog would.

And you are very wrong. Metroid and DKC aren't developed internally and are produced by a different group. Also Metroid is not lucrative and the last DKC wasn't a long time ago. The only other Arms caliber new IP was Splatoon since maybe Pikmin. Plus Arms is a fresh take on fighting games and we barely get enough fighting games in general.

Isn't that what you just did above? If anything we should compare Sony to Nintendo or naughty dog to a certain Nintendo team.

I don't mean to dismiss Arms, I just feel like a lot of the hype is unearned. It's a motion control game (I think you can play with normal controls) that's just a multiplayer battle game. It's going to be only as fun as you put into it. I rather that team work on something single player focused, where Nintendo is currently sorely lacking games.

Mista Koo

Isn't that what you just did above? If anything we should compare Sony to Nintendo or naughty dog to a certain Nintendo team.

I don't mean to dismiss Arms, I just feel like a lot of the hype is unearned. It's a motion control game (I think you can play with normal controls) that's just a multiplayer battle game. It's going to be only as fun as you put into it. I rather that team work on something single player focused, where Nintendo is currently sorely lacking games.
No. We are just comparing how big of a deal that is, how hyped people could be.

Again a lot of people love fighting games and Nintendo's designs, maybe it's just not for you and that's ok. You'd probably still enjoy watching it in a group stream or a tournament. Also we're not discounting the single player component yet, we expect something simple but Splatoon had a campaign that was it's own thing separate from the rest of the game.
I'm not saying the Switch couldn't use a lot more games. In fact that's the reason I still don't have one nor have a specific idea when I will eventually get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom