• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

It sucks that every flash drive I have does not fit into the USB slots on the back (one of my flash drives is the same as one of the posters above me and it's plastic is too fat). I was hoping to have a clean front. The only other complaint that I have is that my Perfect Dark Zero Platinum Hits disk does not work. Well it works maybe 1 out of 4 times and then won't let me get past the intro vids or about 30% of the install. Basically a flawless disk and it worked fine in my old 360...I have no clue what's wrong with it. Tried about 20 other disks and they all work fine, so I don't know what's up.

Manp

yoursisterspretty said:
It sucks that every flash drive I have does not fit into the USB slots on the back (one of my flash drives is the same as one of the posters above me and it's plastic is too fat). I was hoping to have a clean front.
121zlzd.jpg

?

yoursisterspretty said:
The only other complaint that I have is that my Perfect Dark Zero Platinum Hits disk does not work.
is that a bad thing?

:)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
CougRon said:
Actually, that's why you want to trade it in. It's still useful and will get recycled for somebody else to enjoy and make use of. If you just wait until it no longer works, no one will want to buy it and it's only good for landfill. (okay, I suppose parts of it can be stripped for materials but you get the idea.)

I was considering trading in my current 360 provided the discount on the new model is significant enough so that I don't mind paying the difference. But, here in Aus., the RRP is $450. Looks like I won't be buying one any time soon. :lol

kaskade

BattleMonkey said:
Well just got back from Best Buy with mine, they had a ton of them still in stock, was afraid I was going to possibly miss out.
Definitely seems like Best Buy is a safe bet for people(who aren't trading in a console). I did in store pick up just to be safe. They had quiet a bit in stock still when I got there.

Kolgar

VegaShinra said:
I just set mine up and was experimenting with how I want it to be placed. Horizontally the system feels much hotter than it did standing which was pretty cool but it was louder when it stood up.

Hm, could it be that when placed horizontally, the unit is expelling MORE heat from inside--thereby making the top hotter than before?

If so, this is a good reason to go horizontal--I don't want that heat left inside my console, and I guess it makes sense that with the benefit of an extra side vent (blocked when standing vertically) and the big gills facing up (heat rises), the machine's innards receive better cooling.

I've been using mine vertically (I've always been a horizontal man myself), but I'm about to go back to my old ways as this seems the safer bet.

Yeah, even standing vertically, those gills feel alarmingly hot! (This coming from a guy who's also alarmed by how hot the top of his slim PS3 gets.)

Sucks that they are only releasing it July 16th in Europe(I live in South Africa and all our game/hardware dates fall under the EU release schedule)but I'm definitely picking one up on release,and to think I was going to buy a standalone 250 gig hdd and wireless adapter at the end of the month.:S

Integra

Neo Member
brotkasten said:
That red dot of death is horrible.

"Oh, a hardware error? Well, I guess it's time to call the MS support."
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave."

Say hello to the new Xbox:
bk8sukwwo2wqd6jhw.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

thats messed up although... I can see that thing doing that though o.o

itsgreen

I like it. But will wait untill a good Natal/COD7 bundle arrives with a good deal :)

Don't know if I'll sell my Elite though.. got a kickass limited X05 faceplate on it :)

Hey guys has anyone here from Canada actually gone to the states to try the US GameStop trade-in deal?

I'm seriously considering a road trip if it's possible.

theultimo

Gillian Seed said:
I only have room to display mine Horizontally. How bad will the dust build inside the vents hurt the unit?
Its one fan with a much lower speed, it doesn't suck in nearly as much air, so dust is a lot less. just keep the area free to breathe and you should be alright.

Why For?

Banned
Just got around $400 worht of JB vouchers (Australian retailer).

Slim 360 here I come. Sold one of my Arcades with a 20GB HDD for $150 too.

Sweeeeet.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Max Consoles have a video about this (Overheating issues): http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?40684

Damn... this is bad, and I really wanted to get a new 360 slim, DAMN IT MS!!!

Damn. I wonder if this is true. I've been playing MW2 for hours at a time since I picked up my slim a few days ago and I haven't had any trouble, not even the protective shutdown precaution. I feel like there's more to the story here.

Dax01 said:
Alright, this got a smile out of me.
It's just fair, I smile every time when I see your avatar. :D
Integra said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

thats messed up although... I can see that thing doing that though o.o
Hey, lets not forget that it will be really creepy when you have the Kinect camera, that follows your movement. :lol

I don't know how it's possible for the new 360 to overheat with so many vents and a larger fan. The only thing i can think of is if the fan's not spinning fast enough.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This has probably been mentioned a million times, but I've barely been following this news, so sorry... But what's the word on a cheaper remake model being released? When's it most likely happening?

I've heard that from now on Microsoft is dropping all SKU suffixes like "Arcade" and "Elite", and are now just referring to each SKU by it's hard drive capacity. I've also heard that MS straight up confirmed a new $199 model for release in the Fall. Is any of that true?

omg.kittens said:
This has probably been mentioned a million times, but I've barely been following this news, so sorry... But what's the word on a cheaper remake model being released? When's it most likely happening?

I've heard that from now on Microsoft is dropping all SKU suffixes like "Arcade" and "Elite", and are now just referring to each SKU by it's hard drive capacity. I've also heard that MS straight up confirmed a new $199 model for release in the Fall. Is any of that true?

Microsoft confirmed the $199 360 S but no date n when its coming. My guess is when all the current fat 360's re gone the $199 360 S will take the place of the Arcade.

JesseZao

omg.kittens said:

About time. The suffixes have always been dumb. Hopefully that means the new SKUs only differ in drive space then.

derFeef

soundscream said:
The vents are on the top and bottom or sides if held up vertical. In the video it has an xbox to the left and a wii to the right within a couple of inches. Wouldn't that mean its not getting enough air from either vent?
That should be enough space if it really was set up that way.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ExtraKr1spy said:
Microsoft confirmed the $199 360 S but no date n when its coming. My guess is when all the current fat 360's re gone the $199 360 S will take the place of the Arcade.
Cool, thanks. I hope it hits before Halo: Reach comes out... Either way, I'll be waiting for the $199 model.

Oh yeah, another question. Since the 360 SKUs are now being referred to by their hard drive size, that seems to indicate that the $199 model will be exactly the same as the 250 GB model, but with less hard drive space... Right?

Xun

There's nothing to even say that's the Xbox he's playing.

I just don't buy it, MS would've done a lot of tests surely.

Either way, shit happens to all hardware.

Why For?

Banned
Enojado said:
I have my PS3 and 360S hooked up the same way: hdmi to tv and optical audio from console to receiver

PS3 - sound only comes from surround sound speakers and no echo when playing games, watching videos, etc.

New 360S - sound comes from tv speakers (unless I turn them off or mute) and surround sound speakers when playing games, watching videos, etc. This results in an annoying echo.

Is there a setting I can use on the 360 to only have sound go to my surround sound receiver?

I have an older Vizio and older surround receiver so I'm sure that doesn't help but I'm confused why I have the problem with my 360 and not my PS3.

I have the same thing on my MW2 Super Elite.

For some reason the 360 won't split HDMI Audio from Optical when they're both in.

Fucking pisses me off.

I doubt that's due to a lack of space, besides, a GPU failure like that wouldn't happen so quickly because of an overheat, it was likely dodgy straight off the production line.

Xun said:
There's nothing to even say that's the Xbox he's playing.

I just don't buy it, MS would've done a lot of tests surely.

Either way, shit happens to all hardware.

"You know, things break." -- Peter Moore, 2007.

theultimo

Why For? said:
I have the same thing on my MW2 Super Elite.

For some reason the 360 won't split HDMI Audio from Optical when they're both in.

Fucking pisses me off.
Thats due to the design of the HDMI and optical settings. THe PS3 does support multi-out. The 360 doesn't in this way.

expy

Banned
theultimo said:
I have a feeling its because of no space, or it could be another hardware victim.

Here is how they had them positioned:
ViGe1.png
IT's not lack of space, the vents are pointed upwards and the warmer air from the console rises up because it's warmer than the ambient air around it. So, no it can't "choke" itself in that position.

Psychotext said:
I doubt that's due to a lack of space, besides, a GPU failure like that wouldn't happen so quickly because of an overheat, it was likely dodgy straight off the production line.

Yup.

RROD problems in past have tainted MS reputation beyond repairable. It will haunt the company even in next generation. It seems to be fixed except few faulty hardware off the assembly. But any incident will get much more attention now.

Xun

MirageDwarf said:
Yup.

RROD problems in past have tainted MS reputation beyond repairable. It will haunt the company even in next generation. It seems to be fixed except few faulty hardware off the assembly. But any incident will get much more attention now.
This.

Microsoft can't afford to have the same issues this time around.

gdt

Exactly how long will Gamestop be holding these trade in deals?

Need to know to see if I'll have money by then...

Nif

That is most definitely due to lack of space. The big vent on the right side of the console pumps out a lot of hot air, so having anything close to it means the air will get pushed back around and back into the xbox. Better cooling if you can keep it well ventilated, and keeping it horizontal helps a lot with the ventilation.

edit: seems weird to say, but I might recommend turning it upside down if you have to keep it vertical. The hot air would be able to escape better with the vent higher up, unless it's in a cubby. Wouldn't recommend it for enclosed spaces.

edit2: actually, it might not've been the heat alone. It's supposed to shut off if it reaches certain temperatures.

ShapeGSX

expy said:
IT's not lack of space, the vents are pointed upwards and the warmer air from the console rises up because it's warmer than the ambient air around it. So, no it can't "choke" itself in that position.

No, the top is the air intake. The side is the vent.

saunderez

ShapeGSX said:
No, the top is the air intake. The side is the vent.
So by having it vertically you make an awesome loop of air being sucked in the top, heated, pushed out the vent, rising back to the top and recirculated. Yeah....sounds like horizontal is definitely the way to go here.

Sean

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Exactly how long will Gamestop be holding these trade in deals?

Need to know to see if I'll have money by then...

Trade-in promo lasts until July 18th so you've got about a month.

I would do it ASAP though just in case Gamestop ends the promotion early or something (I can't really see how they're making any money off this, and a ton of people are doing it).

Psychotext said:

But no hardware is perfect in every single unit. There are bound to be some bad apples in the bunch. The GPU of my PS3 Slim went out and needed to be repaired after I had the unit for 4 months. That's not the norm of course but in line with normal system failures. We'll see if this issue starts to become more widespread.

-PXG-

I think there is something wrong with the fan in my Slim. After turning it on, and for about 5-10 minutes, it sounds like the fan is knocking against something. But after a little bit, it goes away. It only does this when I turn it on after it being idle for a few hours. I really hope it doesn't shit the bed.

Vyer

I've always been used to powering on my 360 with my controller.

Interestingly, I noticed that the S doesn't fully power on the same way. It will only when I am on the right input on my TV. The lights will spin on the controller but it won't 'catch' until I have switched to the input. Not a big deal, but is this normal? I never noticed it before.

Vyer said:
I've always been used to powering on my 360 with my controller.

Interestingly, I noticed that the S doesn't fully power on the same way. It will only when I am on the right input on my TV. The lights will spin on the controller but it won't 'catch' until I have switched to the input. Not a big deal, but is this normal? I never noticed it before.

My Elite has always done that.

TaKeRx

BattleMonkey said:
Enjoying the more quiet system, though with a disc in it still seems louder than my PS3 phat, though maybe not as noisy as the Wii

Install it to the hardrive? lol problem solved immediately.

Top Bottom