• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Playstation Vita dropping Feb 28th in USA (supposedly leaked from PS Blog)

Gaborn

Man said:
Because this story is very likely pure BS.

EVEN IF the story is made up that seems to be a reasonable date given what we know. I mean, are you hoping for it to launch this year? because Sony has said repeatedly it won't launch this year in the US. Whether you think the source is credible or not, if not February 28th, then when?

[Nintex] said:
I'm not surprised handhelds released for $250 in February do really well.
LIMfT.png

[Nintex]

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I'm on your side here. A one year head start, an $80 price advantage, and a competition-free holiday in every region (with the exception of a few days in Japan) gives me little hope that the Vita will ever come close to 3DS sales. I see it doing less than the original PSP, actually. Then again, I could see the 3DS doing less than the DS as well.
That and Sony burning the Monster Hunter bridge in Japan, a really smart decision that one.

Also Sony's biggest mistake is launching this thing after the iPhone 5 is out. If you think the current "I <3 Apple" fest from the press is bad just wait untill that thing is out :D

daoster

ClovingSteam said:
COD will still be selling in the bucketloads in Feb and lets not forget that its a game whereas Vita is hardware.
iPhone 5 will still be sold out by February
Nexus Prime shouldn't even be thrown into the discussion

Vita is letting the 3DS have an entire holiday for itself with games like Mario Land, Mario Kart, and more. That is a dumb decision.

CoD will still be selling well, but the hype surrounding it won't be as high. Right now, what's on everybody's mind? Call of Duty. Or Mario Kart. Or Mario Land. or Skyrim.

By February, the hype for these games will have faded (note, I'm not necessarily talking about SALES, I'm talking about anticipation, the hype, which can lead to impulse buys) and Vita can dominate the hype building by itself.

The way i look at it, I don't need the Vita to beat the 3DS. I just want it to live a nice long healthy life. My PSP has provided me with hundred upon hundreds of hours of entertainment and has been a market second banana for the bulk of its life.

Carlisle

LQX said:
Wow, they really should have pushed to release it this holiday in the US if in fact the US release date seems just two months away from the Japanese one. I don't think the holiday matters as much to Japan as it does in the US.
I was thinking the same thing. The whole system plus promised game library seems angled more towards western tastes anyway. Not to mention, as you did, that Christmas isn't nearly as big of a shopping season in Japan as it is here. US and Japanese releases should be swapped and Sony would maximize its sales.

Raine

djplaeskool said:
The way i look at it, I don't need the Vita to beat the 3DS. I just want it to live a nice long healthy life. My PSP has provided me with hundred upon hundreds of hours of entertainment and has been a market second banana for the bulk of its life.
You don't need it to beat the 3DS nor does it have to in order to be successful. I don't understand the obsession with this.

clo1_2000

Banned
I'm cool with Feb. I'll have my tax refund by then and don't have to hear the wife complain about wasting money on another console.

V_Ben

Banned
Raine said:
You don't need it to beat the 3DS nor does it have to in order to be successful. I don't understand the obsession with this.
THEY MUST WIN TO VALIDATE ALL MY THEORIES. FETCH ME MY SPADE.

Raine said:
Wat R U talking about!? PSP was totally FAILURE cuz DS sold way betters!

Hoo haz PSP now? NOBODY. Hoo haz DS? EVERYBODY.

Thats sciense.

UberTag

Nuclear Muffin said:
A very believable date. That would put it right at te start of the 5 week long March NPD sales tracking period. That makes for maximum positive press coverage (giving the Vita an unfair advantage over the 3DS' launch that the incompetent press will fail to pick up on) and also leaves the console launch comfortably clear of the March AAA game release blast radius.

Count me as a believer here.
I'm in the believer camp as well. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better launch date than this one.

[Nintex]

Rodney McKay said:
Wat R U talking about!? PSP was totally FAILURE cuz DS sold way betters!

Hoo haz PSP now? NOBODY. Hoo haz DS? EVERYBODY.

Thats sciense.
It was really hilarious when Nintendo released that ugly gray brick with a Mario 64 port and the entire world predicted that Sony would end Nintendo's handheld dominance once and for all. Ken Kutaragi was pretty convinced he could do this within days.

weeskwee

Banned
Skyrim will have to get me through until then. If not for that game, i'd prefer to hibernate until Feb 28th just to get it here already. lol

theBishop

Banned
[Nintex] said:
It was really hilarious when Nintendo released that ugly gray brick with a Mario 64 port and the entire world predicted that Sony would end Nintendo's handheld dominance once and for all. Ken Kutaragi was pretty convinced he could do this within days.

The parallels are striking!

eff72b77d265_440.jpg.jpg

So, what's going to be 3DS' Nintendogs if Nintendogs didn't do it?

teiresias

[Nintex] said:

Do you actually mean, "I'm not surprised. Handhelds released for $250 in February do really well." Meaning you're not surprised they'd release in February, or are you actually professing that you aren't surprised handhelds released at that pricepoint in Feb. do well?

Number45

teiresias said:
Do you actually mean, "I'm not surprised. Handhelds released for $250 in February do really well." Meaning you're not surprised they'd release in February, or are you actually professing that you aren't surprised handhelds released at that pricepoint in Feb. do well?
I'm guessing it's a reference to the 3DS launch.

[Nintex] said:
I played the CRAP out of that Mario 64 port, which was a much better port than Nintendo has been putting out on the 3DS so far. Yes Zelda got Master Quest, but Mario 64 DS had around 30 new stars, 3 new playable character, and some new mini-levels. I would have killed for a new level or two in Star Fox instead of an updated multiplayer mode I'll never touch. :(

But yeah, I don't care who comes out on top. I'll probably end up getting a Vita (will wait for after launch since I did get burned by 3DS), if only to be able to play PSP games on that beautiful screen. The screen on my PSP-2000 Darth Vader edition (friend found it on the side of a road and gave it too me, lol) has TERRIBLE ghosting that I didn't remember when I used to have a PSP a few years back. Maybe it's just in comparison to the 3DS's screen, but Burnout Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance are FUGLY.

If PSP games scale correctly I will get a Vita just to see Loco Roco running on it. *drool

McHuj

I kind of expected that but that still over 5 months, 160 days from today!

I think I'm on the Vita train, but man, I wish it could have been a Christmas gift.

I wonder if they are trying to plan to announce the date sometime before the Oct. 15 JP pre order date to try and cut off some money lost from people importing.

Withnail said:
Should have gone for the 29th in celebration of the ApocalyPS3.
I was actually thinking that would allow for some easy marketing about what a "leap" this system is compared to the past/competition.

theBishop said:
So, what's going to be 3DS' Nintendogs if Nintendogs didn't do it?

well obviously much like nintendogs, we have absolutely no idea of knowing right now. But i hope some new ips are on the way from ninty.

also to be On topic: this is totally the best date i could have imagined for it after it was missing the holidays.

boingball

I wonder whether the Vita will survive until christmas. I hope so, but now that Sony has handed the Japanese market to Nintendo (MH announcement, with MH the Vita would have stood a chance of parity with the 3DS, without it it will be a total disaster) and the western market iwill not buy the Vita no matter what (kids get a Nintendo, teenagers play console or PC but not toys, adults play with their iPhone if they play) I could see that some manager pulls the plug.

I hope time will prove me wrong. I will get a Vita day 1 (US/EU day 1, not Japan day 1). And I am content with the about 10-15 games of the announced ones in which I am interested.

Kuran

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
(giving the Vita an unfair advantage over the 3DS' launch that the incompetent press will fail to pick up on

Really now? I always look forward to your posts regarding Vita.. haha.

Lesiroth

boingball said:
I wonder whether the Vita will survive until christmas. I hope so, but now that Sony has handed the Japanese market to Nintendo (MH announcement, with MH the Vita would have stood a chance of parity with the 3DS, without it it will be a total disaster) and the western market iwill not buy the Vita no matter what (kids get a Nintendo, teenagers play console or PC but not toys, adults play with their iPhone if they play) I could see that some manager pulls the plug.

I hope time will prove me wrong. I will get a Vita day 1 (US/EU day 1, not Japan day 1). And I am content with the about 10-15 games of the announced ones in which I am interested.
While Sony fucked up by not having any MH announced for the Vita, I don't think the Vita is doomed (yet).

ampere

[Nintex] said:
Not bad, not bad

I'll probably be broke after the winter rush of games, price drop waiting for me

SidShumanSCEA

Neo Member
Hi guys, this is Sid from the PlayStation.Blog. This story is bogus, a complete fabrication. If we had accidentally published something on the Blog, you'd see it in the RSS feed.

When there's a final North American release date, you can be sure we'll share it on the Blog with the quickness.

Thanks guys.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
SidShumanSCEA said:
Hi guys, this is Sid from the PlayStation.Blog. This story is bogus, a complete fabrication. If we had accidentally published something on the Blog, you'd see it in the RSS feed.

When there's a final North American release date, you can be sure we'll share it on the Blog with the quickness.

Thanks guys.

/thread

McHuj

SidShumanSCEA said:

Thanks guys.

Can you share it here and right now instead? We won't tell the rest of the internet.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
SidShumanSCEA said:

Thanks guys.
wTvxI.png

watershed

Banned
I always find it strange when systems or games are released in the last days of any given month. I feel like sales would look more impressive if a game went on sale at the beginning of a month because you'd get launch sales plus the 3 or 4 weeks that follow. Is there any particular reason for end of month releases?

Top Bottom