• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm surprised the original got locked as this is certainly a relevent issue for many people. This is a legitimate problem and it would be nice if we could keep updates on the issue in a seperate thread instead of having to fish through the original one. The original thread can be found here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287995

WHAT IS KNOWN SO FAR

- Affects mostly 60gb units, but not consistent if it's a launch system or not
- Freezes during cinematic scene but audio still continues a bit before completely locked up
- Trying the same disc on another model often results in it working
- Deleting your install does not fix the problem
- Deleting both install and save file does not fix the problem
- Hard powering off your system does not fix the problem
- Not using Dual Shock 3 does not fix the problem
- Not exclusive to one chain of stores
- 12 long step bogus advice reported by Gamespot does not work

Please let's keep this thread open so that people who are experiencing this problem can get the latest on what they should do. Supposedly trying to swap discs won't make a difference but I'm going to try that today but won't be able to know if it works till I get home tonight. Hopefully Rockstar will make an official statement sometome today. Again, this is a legitimate problem and it would be nice to have a good source for people who are affected by the problem.

Please DO NOT reply to tell us your system is working. Nobody thinks that it's all systems. Replying only makes it harder to wade through useful posts.

UPDATE - 4-30-08 9:40PM PST

Possible patch coming soon. This was found off n4g.

http://forums.n4g.com/m_121325/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#121325

Mike Richards here from R*. Be alert around 12:00 GMT tomorrow for a patch for both the 360 and ps3 versions of GTA IV - we've been working 'round the clock to fix this issue, and seem to have found the problem. For those of you who care, we render the screen in the backbuffer and then flip it onto the front buffer. During those freezes, the code hits a glitch and stops flipping - the reason some of you manage to only have freezes for a few seconds while the sound still runs.

I wasn't planning on coming back up here, but some things have changed.

I'm not with the main group working on the patch. They only needed me to fill in some blanks about the section I helped code. This lead to a misunderstanding on my part.

The patch deadline is 12:00 tomorrow - the date it will be uploaded to the servers is unkown. My supervisor says sometime this week most definitely. It could be tomorrow still, but it's not in our hands any more after we get it finished.

As for the pc version of GTA IV SerratedDrums.....well I've got to get back to work. Can't say on what though

My apologies. I jumped the gun - live and learn, right?

At least you can look forward to the patch soon, as it IS going to be this week - probably in a couple of days.

UPDATE - 5-3-08 9:07AM PST

If you've recently have started getting lock ups even though the game used to work perfectly fine, try to hit the PS button to see if the OS menu still comes up. If it does, then all you need to do is sign out of PSN in order to get your game working again. THIS DOES NOT FIX PEOPLE WHO HAD PROBLEMS BEFORE. It only addresses a new issue that popped up last night.

UPDATE - 5-7-08 11:56AM PST

PS3 V1.01 Patch released.

This patch does not fix the freezing issue that happens to people who crash in the intro. This patch only fixes networking issues and will only apply to those who had to sign out of PSN in order to prevent the game from crashing. No 360 patch so far. Here are the patch notes:

Rockstar Games has released a GTA IV patch for Playstation 3 today that prevents Gamespy’s servers from being overloaded and therefore reduces the impact on those servers that were causing the game to stutter and lock up. We continue to monitor the performance of the game both on and offline and will provide further updates as necessary. We want to assure everyone that, together with our hardware partners, we continue to strive to give our fans the best possible interactive entertainment experiences possible. This update will ensure that everyone will experience Grand Theft Auto IV the way it was intended. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Again, this does not fix all crashing issues on the PS3 and some people are still stuck with coasters without the ability to even play for the first time.

UPDATE - 5-13-08 8:43PM PST

It looks like Sony is acknowledging the problem as they've updated their knowledgebase support. Unfortunately their only fix for the problem right now is to swap out your system. Here's the details found at the url below:

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1034

Rockstar Games, GTA IV's publisher, and Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) are both aware that an issue may have affected a limited number of our consumers who purchased GTA IV. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Although we have seen an extremely low volume of contacts to our customer service department regarding such an issue, we want to ensure that every consumer has a great experience on our console and with GTA IV. We have identified a solution that should resolve your issue.

Online Game Play Issues
For users experiencing online game play issues, Rockstar Games has released a patch on May 7, 2008, that resolves some known issues. Please read about the patch for details.

Offline Game Play Issues
For players who are experiencing offline freezing problems when attempting to load GTA IV from the beginning, please contact Consumer Services at the number below. Our agents will be ready to assist you with a solution after speaking with you to confirm some information.

SCEA Consumer Services
1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Monday through Saturday, 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., PST
Sunday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., PST

I plan to wait it out but this is an option for those who can't. I don't feel comfortable at this point swapping out my system for a different factory refurbished one. Hopefully there is a real fix soon or I may have to end up moving to the 360 for it.

UPDATE - 5-14-08 11:01PM PST

Firmware 2.35 DOES NOT fix the problem

Warrior300 said:
Apparently you need to delete all your GTA IV data and save data.

That's the solution.
No, does not work. I already tried that. It's frozen on my TV right now after trying that.

Ranger X

I hope this isn't happening too much. If there's one game you don't feel like losing your data it's GTA4.

Anyhow, i suppose this shit will sound widespread since there will be so many people playing this therefore bringing the bug reports wayyyyy up.

Baker

Banned
I know this is the whole "voice of a few" crap, but it really is making me paranoid for some reason. I'm picking up my preorder over lunch, and I'm half considering switching it to 360 instead.

AmMortal

Banned
I've had it for 6 hours straight without freezing, 60BG owner aswell

Maybe its US only?

Are you sure that it didn't work?

It should

Ranger X

Baker said:
I know this is the whole "voice of a few" crap, but it really is making me paranoid for some reason. I'm picking up my preorder over lunch, and I'm half considering switching it to 360 instead.

Don't be stupid. There was freezes on all GTAs so far. I got at least one in each game. No game on the shelve is bug less. Also, games like GTA are extremely hard to properly debug. You should actually thank god it doesn't look buggy.

Warrior300 said:
I've had it for 6 hours straight without freezing, 60BG owner aswell

Maybe its US only?

Are you sure that it didn't work?

It should

Quite positive.

I did the following in this order:

1) Delete install
2) Delete save file
3) Pop disc in
4) Run game
5) Let it install
6) Freeze at GTA4 title logo during cinema

Deleting both does not fix the problem

Jeff-DSA

Huh, I'm picking the game at lunch, and was still undecided between PS3 and 360. I have a 60GB PS3, so maybe I'll just avoid it and go with the 360. Yeah, I know, RRoD, but whatever.

Firewire

Banned
Just talked to a friend, who picked up the game at midnight, he's played about 8hrs on a launch 60GB with no problems.

segasonic

why the fuck was that other thread locked?

fucking retarded

I hope this won't affect me as the North-American PS3 version is on its way to me right now..

Baker

Banned
Ranger X said:
Don't be stupid. There was freezes on all GTAs so far. I got at least one in each game. No game on the shelve is bug less. Also, games like GTA are extremely hard to properly debug. You should actually thank god it doesn't look buggy.

I can deal with bugs. These "reports" are making it sound like it freezes every single time though.

Tieno said:
Seeing as Europe got a different/new 60 Gb model, are there any reports of this happening to PAL consoles?

Didn't Europe start out with a completely different hardware revision to begin with? They started out with one of the PS2 chips missing. So that would explain why it's not the same.

herod

I expect that this game will sell about 5 million copies on PS3.

There is obviously the chance that a few will be faulty. Possibly due to the way it is written means that the FMV display code is the first thing to trip up on read errors.

Unless several hundred people post in this thread, due to the sheer popularity of this game I suggest that this is not actually a widespread problem at all.

Firewire

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Quite positive.

I did the following in this order:

1) Delete install
2) Delete save file
3) Pop disc in
4) Run game
5) Let it install
6) Freeze at GTA4 title logo during cinema

Deleting both does not fix the problem

Kinda sounds like the disc to me, maybe a bad batch?

segasonic

herod said:
Unless several hundred people post in this thread, due to the sheer popularity of this game I suggest that this is not actually a widespread problem at all.
How about everyony just wait what happens before making assumptions...

And don't post here if it works fine for you. Only post if you have a problem...

Baker said:
I can deal with bugs. These "reports" are making it sound like it freezes every single time though.

Those who have the problem are having it lock up usually during the opening cinema which makes the game unplayable cuz it happens all the time. I have not got past the opening cinema yet.

Almyn

I've only had one freeze so far. About 20 mins in, Just messing about in the world. I hopped on a bike i saw and the game froze.The sound continued though.

This may have been just a fluke of course, But having the game freeze after only 20 mins isn't a good sign. I have deleted both my save and the install. Pity i can't play again until after work tonight :(

This was on a 60gb European machine btw.

dalin80

Banned
A friends 360 has just locked up during one of the first cinematics sound carried on for about 5 seconds before a few seconds of looping and then everything stopped, my copy isn't going to arrive until tomorrow :-(

edit- should point out that a hard-reboot sorted things and it has been playing ok for about a hour since.

herod

segasonic said:
How about everyony just wait what happens before making assumptions...

And don't post here if it works fine for you. Only post if you have a problem...

Because the old thread was posted over 9 hours ago....

Have you tried just rerunning the intro a few times? The fact that some people say certain things fix the problem while other people say they don't makes me think it's just an intermittent bug. And since it's just the opening cutscene, it should be easy to try a few times, and only needs to be gotten past once.

Evlar

Banned
The descriptions posted have all the hallmarks of read errors, which could be either bad disc pressings or problems with the optical drives in specific systems.

Loudninja

Rockstar gives GTA PS3 advice
Rockstar has said you should erase your game data and reinstall Grand Theft Auto IV if your PS3 freezes during gameplay.

The US PlayStation forums picked up on the issue and linked the problem with 60GB launch models of the console.

One commenter called the technical support lines and followed the steps above and has had no problems since.

This problem seems to be far from common, with only a tiny portion of the Internet reporting issues; the official European PlayStation forums make no visible mention of it.

Have you been having issues, Eurogamer reader?

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134790

I kown you guys already tried this, but at least they are responding.

60gb newer PS3 (got it a few months before the change to 80gb) and the only problem I had with around 2 hours of play was it crashing my PS3 while I was quitting the game. On the XMB "Please Wait" screen after quitting the game the PS3 beeped and reset itself.

Hopefully that was just a one time thing.

Firewire

Banned
Yeah, we need a thread title change.

It looks like sites are getting various reports of the exact same problem for both consoles.

urge26

I'm glad there's a dedicated thread to this (sarcasm). But anyways, don't we hear this with every new title released?

Tried to buy a hat at the store, and it locked up.

But it was weird, the music still played (didn't loop, or stutter), and I couldn't do ANYTHING (PS button didn't work) - had to turn it completely off.

theBishop

Banned
This happened to me last night. According to Rockstar customer service, it is being looked at and we will get some official response later today.

Another thing that is not in the OP:
- Skipping the opening cinematic DOES NOT fix the problem. The game can still freeze once the player has control.

AmMortal

Banned
Mine gave me a black screen for like 4 seconds with only audio, the first time I played it. After that, smooth as hell.

Same PS3 as poster above btw

Dreamwriter said:
Have you tried just rerunning the intro a few times? The fact that some people say certain things fix the problem while other people say they don't makes me think it's just an intermittent bug. And since it's just the opening cutscene, it should be easy to try a few times, and only needs to be gotten past once.

It always happens for me during the intro cinema but always at a different spot. I've tried multiple things to try and fix it and have seen the issue at least 8 times now without ever having get past the opening cinema. This isn't some random crash bug or glitch that you experience during the game. This is a consistant problem that several people are having. It's been reported too many times plus I actually know someone else who lives hundreds of miles from me who also has the problem.

To everyone else, it's great if you don't have the problem. Enjoy the game. But please, let's not turn this thread into a system war or some sort of denial that the problem exists. It quite exists to those of us who are experiencing it and I'm hoping we can have this thread as a place to share info, and hopefully eventually a fix.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
TheJollyCorner said:
mine froze on the opening cinema (on the "written by" section). still hear audio. 20gig owner, US based. -_-

:(

Teddman

Does it happen more to those who have upgraded their hard drives? I know Marty installed a new hard drive in his PS3 not long ago.

Top Bottom