• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can Nintendo improve upon in Smash 4 Switch from a technical perspective?

TwistedN

Increase texture quality, the bump from Splatoon 1 to 2 is really nice so I'd like Smash to see some of that.

In some stages like gaur plains the textures don't look so hot.
HNI_0004.jpg

KingBroly

Banned
- Stage Hazards in 8-player Smash
- All Stages have 8-player versions
- Ice Climbers return
- 3DS stages/modes are added
- Smash Tour is removed
- Online improvements
- Local Tournament Mode vs AI (I loved doing these in Melee and Brawl)

Clearly it'll come out alongside these.
2-3.png

That is gonna sell like crazy! I don't mind the current x,y,a,b buttons, but would be nice if they were bigger. Analog triggers of course need to make it, and I would rather get a d pad instead of the 4 buttons we have on the left joycon.

I don't know why but I have a hard time seeing the characters on Smash Wii U. Make the characters bigger/ Zoom the camera in more.

Protome

I know Sakurai didn't want to but a Subspace Sequal would be so awesome.

Honestly, adding some kind of better single player content at all would be a win for me. Smash 4 was pretty underwhelming on that front, as much as I loved the game overall.

- Stage Hazards in 8-player Smash
- Ice Climbers return
- Smash Tour is removed
- Online improvements

All stages having 8 player versions would definitely be nice as well as a local and w/ friends tournament mode, the latter which shouldn't take any extra juice from a hardware perspective of course.. I'm hoping we get an option for turning off stage hazards as well. Smash tour shouldn't be taken out. It makes no sense to remove content like that. It's criminally underrated if you ask me. All that mode needs is a rebalance on items, but its still playable even with cpus.

Lebon14

MK8 Deluxe
-720p to 1080p jump which takes about 2.25x the processing power on its own
59 to 60fps improvement. Fixed a weird frame skipping issue from the wii u version
-higher quality shadows
-added confetti

Which was only a thing with playing with CPUs. If there was no CPUs, it was 720p60.
Source, Digital Foundry:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-mario-kart-8

When it comes to performance, Nintendo has always aimed to deliver a rock-solid 60 frames per second with each home console Mario Kart and, aside from Mario Kart 64, it has always managed to achieve just that. There was never any doubt that Mario Kart 8 would fall right in line with the rest of the series but upon seeing it for ourselves we immediately noticed that something was amiss. During gameplay we experienced the regular appearance of duplicate frames manifesting as a constant but subtle stuttering effect. Upon analysis we determined that the game suffers from extended clusters in which a duplicate frame is displayed every 64 frames. What this ultimately means is that, during normal gameplay, Mario Kart 8 continually drops down to 59fps. This may not seem like a big deal - most will probably not notice it at all, and it has zero affect on playability - but it has a noticeable impact on image fluidity that mars what would otherwise be a perfectly consistent frame-rate. And for us at least, once it is seen, it can't really be unseen.

What makes this situation all the more strange is the fact that this problem only appears when CPU opponents are active. In time trials or split-screen matches, with AI-controlled drivers disabled, the frame-rate updates flawlessly while race introductions and victory animations all display correctly as well. The frequency and pattern of this problem suggests an internal timing issue, potentially related to Mario Kart TV, rather than one of performance. We can't be certain where the root cause lies but we certainly do hope Nintendo will take time to correct this problem in a patch.

I'll see myself out as I have nothing to say otherwise.

1080p, better texture and shadow resolutions. I would love for some slight AO. Toggle-able stage hazards. Why can I pick and choose how I play almost every aspect of the game but turning off stage hazards is off limits? Its the same thing as items essentially. No custom move duplicates. I never bothered because the time it took to obtain them.

If they do port over the Wii U version they better do it quick. I'm talking like within the next year because if we do get smash 5 it won't be for another 2-3 years at the earliest. Part of me thinks Nintendo was surprised with how well the Switch was received and how wel its selling. They are probably looking to port a bunch of Wii U titles to keep the fans happy while they work on the true follow ups of their major franchises.

Zyrox

Geese Howard.

Joking aside, since it's already 1080/60 I can see them improving texture quality and/or lighting. Some stages look pretty flat.

Tom Nook

Combine modes and stages from 3DS and WiiU versions.
All DLC included
Add Subspace Embassy

Include Ice Climbers, Snake, Wolf,
Bomberman, Shovel Knight,
& Shantae

Tech:
1080p
better texture quality

You can call it a day Nintendo.

Socivol

At this point it should just be a new version of the game. I was looking forward to a rerelease near launch but that didn't happen and doesn't seem like it's going to happen. The game has been out for almost 3 years so just revamping for the next generation of Smash would make more sense than a simple rerelease because there isn't much to upgrade.

tsundoku

The models that they use when you pause the game - but in real time.

Pichu and Ice Climbers

nerf Cloud and Bayonetta so they're remotely fun to play against casually

ship it

tsundoku

Take out all the bad single player modes and replace them with nothing I guess. Or at least make them playable online to kind of make them not awful

Like the boardgame and smash run and co op story etc

deleted

- Stage Hazard switch
- Ice Climbers return
- Smash Tour is rebuild
- Online improvements

Corrected you there - I'm sure that's what you meant anyway ;)

Anyway, I like the way Smash Wii U looks, but there could be more use of modern shaders.
Which might have to be implemented anyways because if they wanna add Inklings with a splat mechanic, they want to have the stages look the part.

A hub, though you wouldn't have to worry about the bandwidth speed getting cut down on USB 3.0 (the GameCube Adapter runs on USB 2.0).

At a Max of 480 megabits, I don't think we'd have to worry about bandwidth loss on USB 2.0 that's 60mb per second, or 1mb per frame, and according to some brief documentation I found, GC controllers apparently send 64 bits of data on their serial interface.

I.e. they'd never have to make it so you could only use one specific port.

I'd say given the amount of time that they have been quietly working away on Smash Bros for Switch. There could be a substantial amount of new content and some technical enhancements. Mainly I expect some slight technical enhancements in terms of resolution and overall optimization. I don't expect a massive change in overall visuals. My base expectations are low in terms of new content and I won't expect much in that regard. However, I hope given the time they've spent developing the title that they had time to add new characters, modes and refine the content.

The Switch version could be called something like Super Smash Bros. Legacy Tour or something and make it more of a celebration of the series including content from previous titles not just from 4. When the menu opens up there are four options you can select Fight, Smash, Melee, and Brawl. Each mode provides the same multiplayer options and modes as 4, one single player mode and one minigame mode and a unique physics engine based on the four Smash titles. Fight mode is based on Smash 4 offering most of the stages in both versions and the DLC, none of the older titles. The character roster also includes 5 newcomers and 3 returning vets that weren't in Smash 4 (Ice Climbers, Wolf and Snake). The roster stays the same throughout all fighting modes. The minigame mode is an enhanced Smash Tour and run. The Single-player mode is 4's all star mode. Multiplayer modes stay the same. Smash is based on the 64 version with 6 remade stages from 64 and a number of other stages from 4. 64 has classic mode as its single player and Home-run contest and break the targets for minigame modes. In addition to this mode's engine being based on 64. Melee is based on the Melee's engine offering 15 remade Melee stages in addition to some tracks from 4. Single player mode is an enhanced adventure mode from Melee. Minigame mode is race to the finish and board the platforms. Brawl mode is based on Brawl engine with 15 tracks from Brawl being remade and tracks from 4. Single player mode is Event mode while the minigame mode is Stage Builder. It's essentially the same amount of content from 4 just spread out amongst 4 modes. That's also factoring in that most of the work is done for them since they will be reusing a lot of content from 4.

Neoxon

At a Max of 480 megabits, I don't think we'd have to worry about bandwidth loss on USB 2.0 that's 60mb per second, or 1mb per frame, and according to some brief documentation I found, GC controllers apparently send 64 bits of data on their serial interface.

I.e. they'd never have to make it so you could only use one specific port.
I was mainly referring to the possibility of using 2 adapters without sacrificing rumble.

Servbot24

Banned
That will take time to make. I don't expect anything until Q4 2019 at the earliest tbqh. But until then, they could port the wii u version without spending on too much time and money on it and get a lot of profit from it.

A quick profit isn't always worth it if it means watering down the brand.

I was mainly referring to the possibility of using 2 adapters without sacrificing rumble.
Oh, yes the power issue, hrm. How much power does a USB 3.0 port provide?
It may just have to be a Rock Band thing, where they provide plug-powered hubs in new copies of the adapter.

honestly if they take too long i just want a new smash. Mario Kart 8 made sense because it was really close to the launch, i would think that smash would be something similar if it was a port. A proper smash for switch is much more interesting to me depending on the release.

Mory Dunz

Not much imo.
It's already 1080/60 and I don't see them redoing the character models to make them more detailed.

So what they can do and is feasible is to make stages look better. Especially the Wii stages. And they should fully remake the n64 stages imo because I think Dk jungle is an eyesore

Top Bottom