• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Paper Mario Wii U in development (Intelligent Systems)

DNAbro

haha oh man this is embarrassing. All this for a Gamecube listing of Thousand Year Door? Is this true? So basically a list of games Intelligent Systems has made over the years lol

that's not where the rumor is coming from, the paper was proof that this person was actually there.

Sandfox

haha oh man this is embarrassing. All this for a Gamecube listing of Thousand Year Door? Is this true? So basically a list of games Intelligent Systems has made over the years lol
The guy who posted the rumor used that as proof to show that he is who he claims to be. It obviously could still be fake thoigh.

Amir0x

Banned
that's not where the rumor is coming from, the paper was proof that this person was actually there.

oh good, because I want this to be true.

But now I really don't believe it if there's no evidence but 'some Intelligent system employee said something' or whatever :p

Nairume

Banned
If they actually are making a new console one, I really wouldn't worry about it turning out like Sticker Star given SS's specific design direction was because it was a portable game.

Of course, that doesn't rule out Super Paper Mario U

Please ditch the sticker mechanic. It was tedious and unfun. I'd even be happy with a second game in the vein of Super Paper Mario.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
that says "Nintendo gamecube"

the only game they have listed under Wii U is Game and Wario

what are people freaking out over

The pic is to 'prove' that the guy met with an IS employee apparently

sounds like bullshit

Roto13

I hope it's exactly like Sticker Star because I had a lot of fun with it and I like when the internet has a bitchfit because of its poor taste.

maxcriden

In re: a lot of the Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario complaints I've read online:

super-paper-mario-message-board-e.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Man this thread has the Super Paper Mario fan collective, I never knew so many SPM fans existed on GAF. Does my heart good <3

Kriken

Man this thread has the Super Paper Mario fan collective, I never knew so many SPM fans existed on GAF. Does my heart good <3

I swear it's b/c everytime Paper Mario gets brought up, people only want to talk about TTYD. SPM isn't as good as TTYD, but it still can hold its own

fernoca

Hope it's real and not just a rumor.

I enjoyed Sticker Star...and heck, every Paper Mario game.

One in HD...finally!! :eek:!

jholmes

Because people really enjoyed the first two Paper Mario games, how they played and the world and characters they contained. Just like any other desire for a sequel.

The games largely stand on their own and don't reuse settings or characters, so why hold on to the esthetic? People like both the Mario & Luigi games and Super Mario RPG even though they don't do the paper thing. I like the Paper Mario series but if the last two games really are so bad that Nintendo should avoid everything they did (not arguing that myself), what's to be gained by aping what was done more than a decade ago? Why not start fresh?

People's issues with Sticker Star have nothing to do with the sticker aesthetic and everything to do with the core gameplay design. Regardless, TTYD made great use of the paper element with Mario turning into a plane, rolling up, turning sideways, etc.

On Sticker Star: Fair point, but the idea behind the stickers was clearly to explore some new space in the whole paper world. Perhaps it's a sign Nintendo really can't figure out much more to do with Paper Mario.

On TTYD: For sure, but that's all stuff that's been done, and done long in the past. Is that a good enough reason to maintain the whole paper thing today?

Amir0x

Banned
I swear it's b/c everytime Paper Mario gets brought up, people only want to talk about TTYD. SPM isn't as good as TTYD, but it still can hold its own

I like TTYD more too, but SPM is good in its own unique way ya know? And we don't get a lot of games like SPM anymore, even less than TTYD. So I totally want more.

I loves it:

spmlove0zj2x.jpg

Fou-Lu

A new proper Mario RPG for console is something I can't even dream about. If it's true I will be ecstatic. But even if there is such a game in dev I doubt it will be able to reach TTYD levels of awesome.

Kjellson

It's a combination of ALL attacks requiring consumable items, battles only giving you coins, not experience, and thing stickers causing some really stupid trial and error stuff. In particular, the intended way to figure out the bosses' weaknesses appears to be to lose against them once so you can see their attacks so that you can hopefully figure out which thing stickers (which you may not have even found yet) you can use to counter them. That's not to even mention the environmental puzzles involving thing stickers. Also, there's of course the fact that trying to use a thing sticker, even in a wrong situation, uses it up, and reaquireing them can be a real pain.
That does sound pretty bad yeah.

ffdgh

In re: a lot of the Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario complaints I've read online:

Now I really enjoyed super paper mario, but I legitimately miss having partners, regular battles, fighting on stage with a energetic crowd cheering for mario and company.

Sticker star leaving out whacka and amazee dayzee is unforgivable :(

One day the tide will turn and people will recognize Sticker Star as a cool little side experiment. It's nowhere near the abomination people make it out to be.

SykoTech

Hopefully Miyamoto is too busy with Star Fox to ruin Paper Mario again.

But seriously, if this is real and doesn't suck balls like the last 2 games, then I guess I'll be getting one of my 2 biggest requests from Nintendo. Just need Metroid Wii U to be unveiled along with it (please Retro), and Nintendo wins E3.

Nekofrog

Banned

I played them both. They're shit. Super Paper less than Sticker, but both still shit.

The downfall of this series is one of the biggest tragedies in gaming. It was the biggest until the recent Konami deal.

J@hranimo

Banned
I like TTYD more too, but SPM is good in its own unique way ya know? And we don't get a lot of games like SPM anymore, even less than TTYD. So I totally want more.

I loves it:

spmlove0zj2x.jpg

My man Amirox.

SPM is a good game in its own right. I know it'll get shit on no matter what, but I liked that game the more I played it. I'll also state that is has the best plot of all the PM games and it really isn't much of a debate.

Lebon14

dowantdowantdowantdowantdowantdowantdowant

Yes, I want an actual sequel to TTYD. Not the trash that was SPM and I actually liked the concept of PMSS after seeing a Let's Play of it, tbh.

Don't get me wrong: the first two Paper Mario are the two winning ones in term of quality.

RM8

My man Amirox.

SPM is a good game in its own right. I know it'll get shit on no matter what, but I liked that game the more I played it. I'll also state that is has the best plot of all the PM games and it really isn't much of a debate.
This, and it applies to Sticker Star too. It's not that those games are perfect, but it's silly pretending the biggest backlash for those games doesn't come from the fact that they're not like the first two games. I personally really dislike judging games for what they're not.

The games largely stand on their own and don't reuse settings or characters, so why hold on to the esthetic? People like both the Mario & Luigi games and Super Mario RPG even though they don't do the paper thing. I like the Paper Mario series but if the last two games really are so bad that Nintendo should avoid everything they did (not arguing that myself), what's to be gained by aping what was done more than a decade ago? Why not start fresh?
I don't understand why it's such a foreign concept to you why people want a sequel to something they love. Seems pretty simple and cut and dry. Most people don't seem to think that the formula was played out when they abandoned it.

maxcriden

Just to clarify about that pic, I did say a lot of people and not everyone. ;) I'm not saying there aren't plenty who have played through either or both of SPM and Sticker Star (esp. the latter) and disliked them, but I have seen a lot of people over the years very clearly complaining about the games w/o having played them or at least much of them.

jholmes

I don't understand why it's such a foreign concept to you why people want a sequel to something they love. Seems pretty simple and cut and dry. Most people don't seem to think that the formula was played out when they abandoned it.

I don't understand why this thread is full of hyperbole about Super Paper Mario. I also don't think I could respond better than this post right above you:

This, and it applies to Sticker Star too. It's not that those games are perfect, but it's silly pretending the biggest backlash for those games doesn't come from the fact that they're not like the first two games. I personally really dislike judging games for what they're not.

Fou-Lu

SPM is honestly a good game and if it wasn't the sequel to TTYD it would probably be loved. I like the first two games way more, but it has a special place in my heart and my collection, and I would be happy to see more games like it.

Stick Star on the other hand is just bad, badly designed, boring to play and lacking the charm of the previous entries and I don't think I would like it even if none of the other games existed.

Griss

Please don't be true :(

After so many great games, Codename Steam and Paper Mario would be IS moving way away from the stuff I've loved them for.

Lynx_7

One day the tide will turn and people will recognize Sticker Star as a cool little side experiment. It's nowhere near the abomination people make it out to be.

I feel like SPM and maaaybe SS in general will get a little less heat once we get a true sequel for the first 2 games. However, it's been over a decade since we last got a traditional PM game and people are just really tired of IS (with a little help from Miyamoto) giving them anything but what they want, and that can get really frustrating.

Euron

Super Paper Mario is a much better game than people give it credit for. Is it better than the first two? Heck no. The first was an awesome turn based RPG and TTYD is a masterpiece that is only flawed by the final boss. But SPM still captures much of the series' personality and humor despite the different gameplay. That being said the complaints regarding Sticker Star are completely justified.

And this better actually be something and not just a look back at the games IS has made.

Esque7

SPM is amazing, it's just different than the first 2. I wouldn't mind another game in SPM's style, but it's been so long since TTYD that I need the original style back. Never played SS, and probably never will due to gaf's reaction to it...

Darksol

Yeah, none of the Japanese validates what they're claiming. If this paper is just supposed to be proof they met someone... Meh. That's really stretching. I'm going to remain skeptical yet hopeful.

Soltis

Neo Member
I'm excited. A little annoyed that we're in for another thread full of people who didn't play Super Paper Mario but still hate it anyway, but hey, if it's actually coming that's worth enduring.

I agree with you here. I always felt that SPM was made in the same spirit as the first two games, even if the gameplay differed.

Although I also agree with those who say that it is past time for another RPG entry to the series.

Top Bottom