• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

bomblord1

Banned
I recommend reading the entire thing and evaluating it as such but I want to highlight some key points.

Oh boy, it's a big day for ATLUS today. It took us a while (pause for Winter 2014 joke), but Persona 5 is finally out in the West! Seriously, we poured countless hours into making the game as perfect as it can be, and words can't explain how excited we are for you all to finally be playing it. Some of you might be saying ”this is totally just PR speak," but I'm telling you it's not. All of us at ATLUS in Japan and America worked our freaking butts off to make sure Persona 5 is worthy of having the Persona name....

Ok, now let's talk Persona 5 streaming and videos. Simply put, we don't want the experience to be spoiled for people who haven't played the game. Our fans have waited years for the game to come out and we really want to make sure they can experience it fully as a totally new adventure. Please read our video/streaming guidelines below:

-You can post however many additional videos you'd like, but please limit each to be at most 90 minutes long.

-No major story spoilers, and I'll leave that up to your good judgment. If you need some guidelines, avoid showing/spoiling the ending segments of the first three palaces. While you can show initial interactions with Yusuke, avoid his awakening scene, and that whole deal about THE painting. Also, don't post anything about a certain student investigator.

-I know I mentioned not showing the end of each palace, but you can grab footage from the Kamoshida boss fight. However, don't capture video from the other major boss fights.

-Must not focus solely on cutscenes/animated scenes, should prominently feature dungeon crawling/spending time in Tokyo.

-You can post straight gameplay or have commentary.

This being a Japanese title with a single-playthrough story means our masters in Japan are very wary about it. Sharing is currently blocked through the native PS4 UI. However, if you do plan on streaming, video guidelines above apply except length.If you decide to stream past 7/7 (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED), you do so at the risk of being issued a content ID claim or worse, a channel strike/account suspension.

That being said, Persona 5 is a super special case for us and we're in ongoing discussion about how our policies may evolve in the future. Thanks for reading and good luck in the Metaverse.

For content that takes place past 7/7 they will put out content ID marks and they are attempting to restrict streaming that doesn't meet the above guidelines (???)

Honestly I'm a bit confused as to how they intend to accomplish the above but this is directly from them and shared across social media sites (I just found it on facebook) so it's not something targeted at content partners or reviewers.

Trace

Banned
Yea fuck off with that Atlus. I like your games but fair use says otherwise, I can stream/upload this shit however I want.

Soulfang

Neo Member
I'm sure this is a top-down decision from Japan, but threatening content ID strikes is not the way to go about this here.

Jawmuncher

We gotta protect people from spoilers DESPITE the game being out in japan for months.
I would accept this more if they were doing a worldwide launch. But months after the fact is well deserved pointing and laughing at.
Whoever is at AtlusJP that seems to be prehistoric stick in the mud, needs to get with the times.

Hystzen

Hahahah really account suspensions they do know the game was released in Japan already and can watch it all already

Absolutely insane. If they cared so much about spoilers, maybe they should have released the game at the same time worldwide instead of having a 7 month gap. This is just punishing consumers for no reason other than the people behind the decision are completely out of touch.

Corpekata

Banned
It's super irritating when a trophy pops up and the game has to tell you it can't even do the automated trophy screenshot.

good-luck.gif

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
What an odd stance to take. Do they really think the game is at risk of being dropped by potential buyers in favor of watching Let's Plays? Or do they think the story is that special that they wish to not have things spoiled?

Pappasman

The game is out. You can't control this anymore Atlus. Cutting off streamers and Let's Plays and threatening them with copyright strikes is really dumb move.

I mean...as much as I love their games, how many people are surprised at some backwards-ass stupid company decision from them?

Like seriously, they regularly pull shit like this so I dunno why people are surprised.

Glix

Isn't this a situation where Sega could step in and be like "Hey we let you operate independently, but this shit is just stupid and doesn't follow our corporate policies toward streaming"?

Eolz

I can understand the guidelines, but doing channel suspensions over that...

Hahahah really account suspensions they do know the game was released in Japan already and can watch it all already

I doubt it considering they've behaved like the west was just the USA for years and years. Or how they did in the past with other games as well...

Ferrio

Banned
What an odd stance to take. Do they really think the game is at risk of being dropped by potential buyers in favor of watching Let's Plays? Or do they think the story is that special that they wish to not have things spoiled?

I wanna know who has the stamina to watch an 80 hour let's play.

kaioshade

Have they been enforcing this policy with japanese streamers up to this point?

I really wonder how this is all going to play out.

Kthulhu

Fuck off with that shit. It's bad enough they're restricting people using built in streaming, but now they're gonna abuse Content ID?

Great way to get people to exposed to your "biggest game ever". What a fucking joke.

Top Bottom