• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

bomma_man

Like everyone else said, this thread is more for mainstream stuff. The difference should be pretty clear. When I go I to that thread all I see is electronic beep booo music, not necessarily electronic dance music.

i really want to know what this means, but it's probably not worth fighting over.

Nyx

Like everyone else said, this thread is more for mainstream stuff. The difference should be pretty clear. When I go I to that thread all I see is electronic beep booo music, not necessarily electronic dance music.

Haha wtf!

Ashhong

Well when I went into it in the past, all of the music being posted was more ambient, mellow stuff that you know, had electronic sounds and such. I see EDM as club bangers, the more mainstream stuff you see at festivals and all that. I don't know how it is anymore though. I mean, even the title of that thread doesnt say Dance.

I probably used the wrong words but it's not that hard to figure out what I meant really.

Also, I stopped going in the other thread because alot of the posters were a bunch of elitists who looked down on the mainstream stuff whenever I tried to post it, similar to how gdt came in here looking down on Avicii and whatnot. I really hope the posters in here aren't like that. If you don't like this mainstream music for whatever reason, stay out.

Sai-kun

Banned
levels is a shit song because i heard it literally more than a billion times in the past two years

but i will never not sing along

also, subbed.

Nyx

Well when I went into it in the past, all of the music being posted was more ambient, mellow stuff that you know, had electronic sounds and such. I see EDM as club bangers, the more mainstream stuff you see at festivals and all that. I don't know how it is anymore though.

I probably used the wrong words but it's not that hard to figure out what I meant really.

Also, I left that thread because alot of the posters were a bunch of elitists who looked down on the mainstream stuff whenever I tried to post it, similar to how gdt came in here looking down on Avicii and whatnot. I really hope the posters in here aren't like that. If you don't like this mainstream music for whatever reason, stay out.

There were club bangers already before the Avicii's of this world were even born man.

You posted the Tomorrowland festival in the OP f.e. but probably forgot that there are loads of artists there as well who play ''electronic beep boo music'' like Levon Vincent, Jeff Mills, Green Velvet, Ricardo Villalobos etc etc. And those guys made more club bangers in the past 20 years than most artists discussed in this thread.

I don't mind a thread for the ''mainstream'' artists at all but calling it ''The EDM thread'' doesn't really fit it then if you ask me.

Shaneus

Would it be worth maybe elaborating a little bit on the title of this thread then? I'm all for separate threads, but not debates on semantics. Both threads are technically "EDM", just that one's more commercial, big-room Electronic Dance Music and the other is smaller, more um, "boutique"(I guess?) Electronic Dance Music.

I'd also encourage all the people who venture into this thread to pop over into the "Groundbreaking" one once in a while as well, maybe click a link or two :) The amount of genres and subgenres of club music I've discovered solely from there that I'd have never known about otherwise is ridiculous. And sometimes when I post (a lot of the time, actually), I post really good quality commercial tracks as well as good, older commercial tracks that I just can't stop reminiscing about because I've been listening to dance music for far too fucking long.

PS. I'm also using this post as a way of auto-subscribing, so I'll definitely be in here as well. WHAT UP, BITCHES!

My favourite track from last year that I guess fits perfectly in this thread... but you probably all know it already :/
Deadmau5 - There Might Be Coffee

Edit: I laughed when I read this on the EDM Wikipedia page:
Electronic dance music achieved limited popular exposure when it was marketed as electronica in America during the mid-1990s.
Peace and love, it's all the same music folks :)

Oh, ok. Ty.

Here is a house set for everyone then:

(Right Click/Save As)

PROFF - Anjunabeats Worldwide 279 (Anjunadeep Edition)
Holy shit. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear Infusion were signed/partnered with Anjunabeats. I have no problem with this.

Ashhong

There were club bangers already before the Avicii's of this world were even born man.

wtf, when did I ever say anything about Avicii or anybody like him being the only club banger makers?

You posted the Tomorrowland festival in the OP f.e. but probably forgot that there are loads of artists there as well who play ''electronic beep boo music'' like Levon Vincent, Jeff Mills, Green Velvet, Ricardo Villalobos etc etc. And those guys made more club bangers in the past 20 years than most artists discussed in this thread.

I didnt make this thread.

I don't mind a thread for the ''mainstream'' artists at all but calling it ''The EDM thread'' doesn't really fit it then if you ask me.

What exactly is wrong with "The EDM thread"? I don't know if you post in the other thread, but it's not my fault it's not titled the same. Mention EDM to most people and see what artists they come up with. It sure won't be those guys you mentioned above. This thread is for those kinds of people and those kinds of artists.

Nyx

What exactly is wrong with "The EDM thread"? I don't know if you post in the other thread, but it's not my fault it's not titled the same. Mention EDM to most people and see what artists they come up with. It sure won't be those guys you mentioned above. This thread is for those kinds of people and those kinds of artists.

I used Avicii as an example.
You said this thread was more for ‘’club bangers’’ while the other one is not, which isn’t correct.

EDM is a name for ALL electronic dance music, so the music you like and the music I like.
That’s why I think the thread title of this one doesn’t fit as the OP states this one is different than the other thread while it’s actually not if it's called ''The EDM thread''

Anyway, peace and love brother!

hammerdance.gif

bomma_man

Well when I went into it in the past, all of the music being posted was more ambient, mellow stuff that you know, had electronic sounds and such. I see EDM as club bangers, the more mainstream stuff you see at festivals and all that. I don't know how it is anymore though. I mean, even the title of that thread doesnt say Dance.

Also, I stopped going in the other thread because alot of the posters were a bunch of elitists who looked down on the mainstream stuff whenever I tried to post it, similar to how gdt came in here looking down on Avicii and whatnot. I really hope the posters in here aren't like that. If you don't like this mainstream music for whatever reason, stay out.

this is factually wrong though. i mean, unless you think that a song must have some big drop/breakdown to be considered 'dance'? this was considered one of the bangers of the year, does it fall under your umbrella?

the thing i don't like about the title and content of this thread is that it implies that EDM is only a recent thing and only applies to a narrow group of sub-genres. it's been around since the 70's!! this and this are EDM too!

it's a semantic argument to a degree but i don't think it's unwarranted.

edit: ^^ what he said!

Ashhong

this is factually wrong though. i mean, unless you think that a song must have some big drop/breakdown to be considered 'dance'? this was considered one of the bangers of the year, does it fall under your umbrella?

the thing i don't like about the title and content of this thread is that it implies that EDM is only a recent thing and only applies to a narrow group of sub-genres. it's been around since the 70's!! this and this are EDM too!

it's a semantic argument to a degree but i don't think it's unwarranted.

edit: ^^ what he said!

Man, you guys and I must go to the wrong clubs. I have never heard that banger that you posted, nor the artist.

I disagree in that it implies it's a recent thing. I dont think anybody has said anything of the sort, and am not sure how you get that implication.

Having EDM in the title is inviting for the newbies to EDM because that's all they recognize. The people on this forum who only know SHM, Avicii and them.

Like you guys said, EDM is all about the love for the music. I'm not sure what the big issue is with wanting to share that love with more people on this forum. EDM is the most basic term for the casual audience. An audience who only knows or cares about the mainstream artists.

What exactly should this be called? The "House Trance Techno Dubstep Drum n Bass Thread"? Come on now. There's the EDM thread, and the Electronic Music thread. I see nothing wrong with that.

rossonero

Subbed!

This thread is better for me as a newbie than the other one just because I recognize the names in here :D Will take a look at the other one too when I'm finished going through the Ultra sets.

Dat Armin.

EDIT: Or just what Ashhong said, didn't see that post before I wrote mine.

bomma_man

Man, you guys and I must go to the wrong clubs. I have never heard that banger that you posted, nor the artist.

I disagree in that it implies it's a recent thing. I dont think anybody has said anything of the sort, and am not sure how you get that implication.

Having EDM in the title is inviting for the newbies to EDM because that's all they recognize. The people on this forum who only know SHM, Avicii and them.

Like you guys said, EDM is all about the love for the music. I'm not sure what the big issue is with wanting to share that love with more people on this forum. EDM is the most basic term for the casual audience. An audience who only knows or cares about the mainstream artists.

What exactly should this be called? The "House Trance Techno Dubstep Drum n Bass Thread"? Come on now. There's the EDM thread, and the Electronic Music thread. I see nothing wrong with that.

Well all the clubs where i live play the stuff in this thread, but i try to go to other places (mainly Melbourne, was lucky enough to go to London and Berlin recently) that have clubs that play stuff from the other thread ;p

i get what you're saying but it's pretty confusing, especially given it means nothing to a non-US audience. maybe 'mainstream edm ot' would be better, if there needs to be a separate thread at all (if any of the mods cared about music i doubt there would be).

Deadly

4 pages into the thread and half of it is debating about the music and content already...

This thread is a good idea. You don't want this stuff to be posted in the other thread, it'll just turn into a giant bitch-fest on what's "true" music. Kind of exactly what's starting to happen. This is more mainstream, big room electro stuff. The other thread is for underground house and techno, more stylized stuff. They do not mix, at all, and we should have separate threads for them. I don't see how this is hard to understand at all. If I have to hear another person scoff at "Levels" as if it somehow validated their tastes in dance music again, I'll fucking lose it. Stay out of this thread if you don't like it, which I plan on doing.
I think this nails it really.

Solo

Really hoping Daft Punk tours this year after the release of RAM. Would love to see them at least once.

You like modern house/disco. Listen to stuff that DFA puts out (especially Juan Macclean), Cassius, Aeroplane, Azari & III, Daphni, Royksopp, Tiger & Woods, Todd Terje, Vitalic (if you're into HAA and Justice)

Edit: also this thread is way too US centric

Thanks for the recommendations!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet, we have our own thread. I was a bit afraid to post in the other thread since the musicians I like have more than 1,000 fans globally (I kid, I kid...).

Need more Rukes photos in the OP though ;)

Haha dude, I wanted to include Rukes photos but didn't wanna get hit with a cease and desist. :) If you don't have a problem with me using your photos I'll gladly put some up.

And yeah the whole idea for this thread came out of the Ultra thread over the weekend. I was constantly telling people to post in the Electronica thread but everyone kept mentioning that it seemed more underground and they were wary of posting there, so they instead asked me to create an EDM thread. I really didn't want to step on anyone's toes, which is why I included the links to the various other threads in the OP.

Shaneus

People should've just posted there rather than be overly cautious about it :( From the people I've seen post there who weren't quite sure, there's always been friendliness, recommendations and a nudge in the right direction (if what was mentioned lent itself heavily to trance, dnb etc.).

But I think the main point of confusion (I don't think anyone minds having a more commercial dance thread and a more underground/indie dance thread) is that "EDM", whilst (seemingly, I guess) meaning commercial, big-room dance in the US... people from elsewhere (like myself and bomma_man from Australia, for example) find the acronym and definition contradictory to what it's literal meaning is. I (quite literally) hadn't heard the term used to describe commercial dance music ever (or when I did hear it used, just figured it was what it stands for: electronic dance music).

CDM would make much more sense ;)

Am I right though? Is "EDM" mostly a US-derived term? What about the UK, Europe and everywhere else... are people from there as clueless as I am?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
People should've just posted there rather than be overly cautious about it :( From the people I've seen post there who weren't quite sure, there's always been friendliness, recommendations and a nudge in the right direction (if what was mentioned lent itself heavily to trance, dnb etc.).

But I think the main point of confusion (I don't think anyone minds having a more commercial dance thread and a more underground/indie dance thread) is that "EDM", whilst (seemingly, I guess) meaning commercial, big-room dance in the US... people from elsewhere (like myself and bomma_man from Australia, for example) find the acronym and definition contradictory to what it's literal meaning is. I (quite literally) hadn't heard the term used to describe commercial dance music ever (or when I did hear it used, just figured it was what it stands for: electronic dance music).

CDM would make much more sense ;)

Am I right though? Is "EDM" mostly a US-derived term? What about the UK, Europe and everywhere else... are people from there as clueless as I am?

Yeah when you say "EDM" in the US it basically refers to the kind of music you'd hear at Ultra Main Stage, big room house and electro. I thought this was a global term for this kind of music but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm open to other thread titles if it's annoying people.

And I agree, people should post in the other Electronica thread as well. I've discovered a lot of good music in there that I normally would not have listened to.

Nyx

EDM for me is just THE name for all electronic dance music. (and I'm Dutch..)

andylsun

I think this thread needs a bit more of these gentlemen

245dzrW.jpg

ORBITAL

A good single track that pretty much explains where they are from is

Funny Break (one is enough) (weekend ravers mix).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ypai4exl1o

A friend of mine who had never heard of them was hooked after that one track.

They've been around for 20 years, and their early stuff is still amazing. They are still touring, but it seems to attract the older, more discerning raver.

Orbital 20 is a very good place to start, or Amazon sell the Original Album Series containing a box set of the first 5 albums.

Other standout tracks are Chime, Belfast, The Box, Impact, Halcyon, The Girl with the Sun in Her Head.

If you've never heard of them, then it's well worth a listen.

Edit: Thanks for the recommendations earlier in the thread. John Flemming Essential Mix downloaded and Dryad. Not that I have enough music from Ultra to listen to already.

Double Edit: Video and Audio (including live sets) on the official orbital web site http://www.orbitalofficial.com/video.asp

Kccitystar

245dzrW.jpg

ORBITAL

They've been around for 20 years, and their early stuff is still amazing. They are still touring, but it seems to attract the older, more discerning raver.

Orbital 20 is a very good place to start, or Amazon sell the Original Album Series containing a box set of the first 5 albums.

Other standout tracks are Chime, Belfast, The Box, Impact, Halcyon, The Girl with the Sun in Her Head.

My man.

Also, recommended viewing:

Idris Elba's How Clubbing Changed The World

Here's a few tracks I've been listening to. I love hard hitting basslines and buzzsaw synths or a mix of both:

Emma Hewitt - Rewind (Mikkas Remix)
RRrump - Chubby Decker (Le Castle Vania & Street Lurkin Remix)
Wax Motif & Neoteric - We Go Deep (Torro Torro Remix)
Bag Raiders - Fun Punch (White Noise Remix)

gdt

245dzrW.jpg

ORBITAL

I've only really heard Halycon, but that song is mesmerizing.

Edit: I'm not even gonna touch that beep boooo comment haha.

Kccitystar

Here's a nice little change of pace.

I don't know how to explain the genre of "Stuff that sounds like the music from Hotline Miami". Is it 80s electro/synthpop? If you like synthy retro sounding stuff you might like these artists:

I'll contribute a few:

Russ Chimes
Daytona
Mulsanne
Never Look Back
Tertre Rouge
Targa

Miami Nights 1984
High Beams
Phone Tag
Ocean Drive
Streets on Fire
Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know (Miami Nights 1984 Remix)

Tesla Boy
Electric Lady
Rebecca
Spirit Of The Night

Lazerhawk
Electric Groove
Redline
Overdrive

Power Glove
Nightforce

Kavinsky
Nightcall
Testarossa Autodrive
Dead Cruiser
Grand Canyon
Protovision

Com Truise
VHS Sex
Ether Drift
84' Dreamin

There's so much more (Mitch Murder, College, The Outrunners, FM Attack, for example) but I'll leave that discovery up to you <3

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

245dzrW.jpg

ORBITAL

Edit: Thanks for the recommendations earlier in the thread. John Flemming Essential Mix downloaded and Dryad. Not that I have enough music from Ultra to listen to already.

Wow, I'll echo the seven other people who already said this song is incredible. I'll be checking out some of their other stuff.

andylsun

Watch out for the live version of Halcyon - there's a couple of (unpleasant/cheesy) surprises near the end.... You'll know it when you hear it.

Sad background to the song. From Wikipedia '"Halcyon" is a song written and performed by Orbital, dedicated to the Hartnoll's mother, who was addicted to the tranquiliser Halcion (Triazolam) for many years. '

Ashhong

beep boop beepity bop bop

untz untz untz untz untz

Didnt think people would focus so much on 2 words in my post lol. It was more a joke than anything.

Check out this mashup of Rewind and "Sound of Goodbye", so good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJRjNIFQ-Y

And www.edmtunes.com is a great site that should be added to the OP. They upload a ton of sets

Eidan

Now this is a thread I can get behind.

*perches*

Also, ib4 "this isn't real edm music, it's just mainstream" GAF.

Um what is going on here? Is this the supposed to replace the other EDM thread? The music here kind of sucks tbh. Where's the house music? Deep house....techno....Scuba...Blawan....Bicep.....Jacques Greene. Who wants to talk about Aviici.

ehlxldaco0l.gif

Cagey

Banned
Great thread. Much prefer there being different threads (including TranceGAF) as alternatives to the Electronic one, rather than one overarching thread that will devolve into pissing contests.

I was surprised when I opened that other thread to see what was being discussed. Negative interest in that music.

Solo

Oh, lol. I don't know why, but of all types of elitism, music elitism has always struck me as the most bizarre.

And it IS beep boop music. There are beeps and boops in it.

Ashhong

Oh, lol. I don't know why, but of all types of elitism, music elitism has always struck me as the most bizarre.

And it IS beep boop music. There are beeps and boops in it.

I agree.

However I can't take any of your posts seriously anymore with those tits in my face. You need to go back to Bond.

Eidan

This song reminds me of why I rarely visit the other thread.

Cagey

Banned
This song reminds me of why I rarely visit the other thread.

Hah, same. I don't even know what the hell I was listening to when I clicked that link, but it was everything I had expected.

There's such a clear distinction in the music discussed here and TranceGAF v. the Electronic thread that I'm surprised there's any sort of argument about why this thread should exist.

Top Bottom