• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The War Z" trademark suspended; will have to be renamed (contest winners!)

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85682663&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

http://warzscam.tumblr.com/post/38634146432/exclusive-war-z-trademark-suspended-game-will-have

There is something interesting showing up if you check the “United States Patent and Trademark Office” website for the “War Z” trademark that has been registered by OP Productions.

The trademark application by OP Productions for the name “War Z” has been SUSPENDED because the trademark office feels that the name is too similar to the name of Paramount Pictures upcoming movie “World War Z”.

*The trademark was only filled in July 2012, further evidence pointing towards that this game has been in development for only 6 months.
*They have received the suspension letter on 15th November 2012 already, so they know for over a month now that their name has to be changed.

LOL? They knew its suspended yet they released it on Steam? Maybe the release was a preemptive one in hopes of getting the few bucks under the name.

Hypron

That's got to be the dodgiest game ever released. Bullshit PR, false advertising, releasing an alpha and now that... These guys are on a roll.

BigDes

If it weren't for the fact people are being bilked out of their money for this shitty game, the ongoing shenanigans around this game would be hilarious

I know sometimes devs have a name clash in other countries they are not aware of till the game gets close to completion, but this takes the biscuit really. Also like how the trademark practically gives away the amount of time put into this turkey.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
So in the spirit of Christmas, the best replacement title suggestion in the next 24 hours as chosen by me gets a free Steam game gift which I'll figure out later.

go go go

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
First off, many companies sell their game while their trademark is being registered. Some Grasshopper Games games I filed a trademark for were already on shelves while it was working its way through examination.

Second, I just took a look at the link...the trademark is suspended 'for further examination', which means they're not going to get it registered until the company replies to the examiner and explains why their mark is unique and doesn't encroach on World War Z. This is perfectly normal for trademarks.

Kind of weird they would file Intent to Use if they're already using it...oh well?

edit: goddamn it, Bish! Can I even explain anything around here first? :'(

Given the track record of western talent they seem to sign I bet they get a contract with capcom and it will become a resident evil game.

Resident Evil: Z

Top Bottom