• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Beautiful thread.

I don't have much to contribute as my only foray into Sega Saturn emulation was limited to running my original Christmas NiGHTS disk on an emulator a few years ago, but I look forward to contributions, configs and screenshots.

Given that most of the Saturn's incredible lineup has never been rereleased and is only remembered by a select few, I support any (legal) methods than allow gamers a chance to play on them.

cj_iwakura

Appreciate the sentiment, but nothing beats the real thing.

My Saturn's always hooked up.

I think it looks good in HD, too. Better audio quality than my PS3, no less.

Tain

I need to do some lag tests on SSF. It seems like a good emulator overall, though. Good enough to leave my Saturn at my parent's house and just bring my games with me.

I haven't done a lot of Saturn emulation, though. I actually think that most of the platform's best games are arcade ports, and in just about all of those cases, I would much rather emulate the arcade game than the Saturn port.

Next time I need to play a real-deal Saturn exclusive, though (I've been considering buying Assault Suits Leynos 2), I'll most likely be using SSF.

cj_iwakura said:
Appreciate the sentiment, but nothing beats the real thing.

My Saturn's always hooked up.

I think it looks good in HD, too.

I'd actually much rather emulate the Saturn on a PC monitor than use the real hardware on an HDTV. :x

Obviously, nothing beats the original hardware on an SD CRT.

Theonik

Has SSF improved at all in the last 6 months or so? Last time I used it I was disappointed about Rayman not working properly. I trust it still only allows for native res correct?

Aeana

SSF doesn't have any fancy enhancements, it just displays everything as close as it can to how it looked originally. Much like pSX does for PS1 games. I really appreciate that, personally.

Tain

Has SSF improved at all in the last 6 months or so? Last time I used it I was disappointed about Rayman not working properly. I trust it still only allows for native res correct?

I don't think it ever allowed for real-deal 240p, but few emulators do. I think it does still force a specific screen res, though, and I'm assuming that's what you mean.

shadyspace said:
I like how a lot of people still think Saturn emulation is some sort of giant hassle.

lol, yeah, it's been good for something like half a decade, too.

does anybody know if Dragon Force or Panzer Dragoon Saga run clean on this emulator? i'm tempted to dig out my copies from storage if they do

Takao

Banned
I read this thread title and it made me realize that I miss Segata Sanshiro. Dude left after a DKC: Returns post :(

If anything is going to come out of this thread it should be a comprehensive guide into using SSF.

I have tried every other month and i still find it very difficult to set up.

Also, why are you emulating XVSF?

Is not hard to find better alternatives.

Anyone have a good walkthrough of how to setup the emulator? I could never get it to work with my orignal discs. I really wish that Sega would re-release more of the Saturn library.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
SSF: you need bios files and to point SSF to your CD/DVD drive (which I think it recognized automatically as an option IIRC). Using a virtual drive is more or less the same thing but there you would need to deal with making cue sheets, though not always. Also make sure you set the region to the correct setting for whatever game you are playing. A way around this is to track down Saturn Region Patcher and patch everything to one region so you don't have to bother on a per game basis.

Suairyu

Banned
If anything is going to come out of this thread it should be a comprehensive guide into using SSF.

I have tried every other month and i still find it very difficult to set up.
Wait, seriously? You download the emulator, configure your gamepad/keyboard inputs then load your game. Just like every emulator ever.

Saturn looks super hot on HDTVs with the RGB SCART + Component converter. Too bad it doesn't work with your TV, OP.

Been buying a ton of Saturn recently. Latest fave is Soukyugurentai Otokuyo.

Such fond memories of playing with my Saturn and I still play it. I was one of the few kids at my school to have one while most others had their playstations. I turned many to VF2 and Sega Rally fans.

Ra1den

Saturn looks super hot on HDTVs with the RGB SCART + Component converter. Too bad it doesn't work with your TV, OP.

Latest fave is Soukyugurentai Otokuyo.

Love this game. Recently sold off some of my rarer Saturn shmups like Radiant and Hyper Duel, but I refused to part with this. One of the few Raizing games I really like.

Seik

Banned

Been buying a ton of Saturn recently. Latest fave is Soukyugurentai Otokuyo.

Yep I was quite disappointed, I'm only hearing good about how good SCART looks.

does anybody know if Dragon Force or Panzer Dragoon Saga run clean on this emulator? i'm tempted to dig out my copies from storage if they do

I quickly tried Dragon Force and Guardian Heroes, both works without any problem I'll try PDS later, there's other game I'd like to test before:

vAlDL.png

WrYal.png

If my Saturn ever craps out I'll definitely be going the way of emulation to play my games rather than track down another system.

Agreed, with time, shit will get costy.

If my Saturn ever craps out I'll definitely be going the way of emulation to play my games rather than track down another system.

Theonik

I don't think it ever allowed for real-deal 240p, but few emulators do. I think it does still force a specific screen res, though, and I'm assuming that's what you mean.

I'm asking because I couldn't for the life of me ever get it to work with my CRT monitor, seems to still be the case with 0.12R3. The applications doesn't seem to support anything below 1024x768 so when I try to set my monitor to 640x480 (which is a 2x2 linear scale of the Saturn native res) it crashes.
Will try to experiment some more, see if I can get this to work.

M3d10n

I'm asking because I couldn't for the life of me ever get it to work with my CRT monitor, seems to still be the case with 0.12R3. The applications doesn't seem to support anything below 1024x768 so when I try to set my monitor to 640x480 (which is a 2x2 linear scale of the Saturn native res) it crashes.
Will try to experiment some more, see if I can get this to work.
Yeah, it's the single most critical flaw with SSF. I have a nice SD CRT setup for native res retro gaming and SSF refuses to work with it. It will also crash if you have a 2nd or 3rd display attached with a resolution bellow 800x600.

The most you can do is use the video card's S-Video out and set the TV to 800x600: the GPU will downscale to 480i automatically behind the scenes.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dragon Force works fine. I've played it to completion on the emulator before.

Dragon Force II works as well, but you might have to tweak some obscure settings to prevent the game from crashing during 200-troop battles.

Why is that?
He blew his top off at some post in Sales Age and just up and left. It was quite a head-scratcher to me, as I've always assumed during my 5 years on GAF that if you've ever bothered to read a Sales Age thread for anything more substantial and intelligent than funny GIFs, you were doing it wrong. I thought he was smarter than that. Seemed like a cool guy.

JEKKI

I have to play Magic Knight Rayearth and Dragon Force still...

but my PS2 is currently hooked up at the moment and being played... saturn gotta wait lol

ss_lemonade

Dragon Force works fine. I've played it to completion on the emulator before.

Dragon Force II works as well, but you might have to tweak some obscure settings to prevent the game from crashing during 200-troop battles.
About DF2, wasn't there a fan translation of the game in the works? I remember reading about how progress was just on and off. Latest I saw was that development was still underway. Even saw some screenshots with english text

Theonik

Yeah, it's the single most critical flaw with SSF. I have a nice SD CRT setup for native res retro gaming and SSF refuses to work with it. It will also crash if you have a 2nd or 3rd display attached with a resolution bellow 800x600.

The most you can do is use the video card's S-Video out and set the TV to 800x600: the GPU will downscale to 480i automatically behind the scenes.
Unfortunately my new 560Ti doesn't have S-Video out (and the fact it's a monitor limits me to VGA anyway)
They really need to sort this out.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I can't seem to get Loaded to run at all, either the actual disc or an image.

I have two copies of the disc, too, and neither worked, but I think I remember something different happening with each so I guess it could be the discs. I'll have to hook up my console sometime soon and check them out.

catmincer

I have some old Saturn games lying around but no console. Does something like Virtua Cop work with the mouse instead of a lightgun on SSF?

jeremy1456

Emulation is cool but I really have to say that real thing is much better.

It's the main reason I keep an SDTV around.

And the Saturn is seriously one of the greatest consoles ever.

cj_iwakura

About DF2, wasn't there a fan translation of the game in the works? I remember reading about how progress was just on and off. Latest I saw was that development was still underway. Even saw some screenshots with english text

It's still in the works, I'm testing and Sixfortyfive's on the team for it.

Seik

Banned
It's still in the works, I'm testing and Sixfortyfive's on the team for it.

I'd like to see this happening, I like DF, but I always was on the fence importing the sequel because I prefer understanding the story, especially in an RPG like this one. I have no problem with fighting games and shmups but that's a whole other thing, I tried with Super Robot Wars and it didn't reached me. If this whole translation thing is soon to be done I'd definitely buy it on Ebay though! :D

cj_iwakura

I'd like to see this happening, I like DF, but I always was on the fence importing the sequel because I prefer understanding the story, especially in an RPG like this one. I have no problem with fighting games and shmups but that's a whole other thing, I tried with Super Robot Wars and it didn't reached me. If this whole translation thing is soon to be done I'd definitely buy it on Ebay though! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxBf1tm39c

Awesome fight scene, too. It's not as good as the original, IMO, but definitely worth playing.

ghibli99

Cool thread... gonna have to try this soon!

Emulation is cool but I really have to say that real thing is much better.
It was a bitter day when I realized the backup battery in my Saturn was dead and I had lost all of my saves that weren't on cartridge. :(

robot

Yeaaaa Saturn! I have a Japanese white model, was actually just playing Golden Axe: The Duel! Almost popped in Capcom Classics Vol. 2 (ghouls n ghosts) but will play it tomorrow.

Do you have Burning Rangers? I'd love to see how it looks on the Emu, awesome game but a mess to look at. I always wanted to see an HD remake of that game.

What arcade stick does everyone use (if any)? I bought the Hori VF virtua stick last year cause it was so cheap, but only has 3 buttons. I'm always looking out for the Hori NaC version, looks awesome.

Seik

Banned
Yeaaaa Saturn! I have a Japanese white model, was actually just playing Golden Axe: The Duel! Almost popped in Capcom Classics Vol. 2 (ghouls n ghosts) but will play it tomorrow.

Do you have Burning Rangers? I'd love to see how it looks on the Emu, awesome game but a mess to look at. I always wanted to see an HD remake of that game.

What arcade stick does everyone use (if any)? I bought the Hori VF virtua stick last year cause it was so cheap, but only has 3 buttons. I'm always looking out for the Hori NaC version, looks awesome.

I have a model II Saturn with an Action Replay 4M+. Sadly, I don't have Burning Rangers, its quite pricy and rare too, I'll get it one day when I'll have some loose cash. I always wanted to try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxBf1tm39c

Awesome fight scene, too. It's not as good as the original, IMO, but definitely worth playing.

That battle scene from DF2 was godlike. I'm hyped, but translating a big ass game like that will take a long time before the final product I guess. I might get it sooner than I thought! XD

where can I buy one? is there a site that ships to Canada?

Bought mine on Ebay.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I never got around to owning a Saturn. I think it is the only console outside of the Xbox series which I have never bothered to grab. Which is strange considering I was looking forward to playing Virtua Fighter 2, Shining Force III, and Panzer Dragoon Saga on it for a long time.

Top Bottom