• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azih

It is a completely different approach from Harper who stocked the cabinet with yes-men, attack dogs, and meat shields.

The only person who didn't fit that mold was Flaherty.

Full list, via CBC:
The full list of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's new 31-member cabinet, being sworn in today at Rideau Hall in Ottawa:

Justin Trudeau - Prime Minister.
Ralph Goodale - Public Safety.
Stéphane Dion - Foreign Affairs.
John McCallum - Citizenship and Immigration.
Carolyn Bennett - Indigenous and Northern Affairs.
Scott Brison - Treasury Board President.
Bill Morneau - Finance Minister.
Jody Wilson-Raybould - Justice.
Harjit Sajjan - National Defence.
Chrystia Freeland - International Trade.
Jane Philpott - Health.
Patricia Hajda - Status of Women.
Jean-Yves Duclos - Families, Children and Social Development.
Marc Garneau - Transport.
James Carr - Natural Resources.
Mélanie Jolie - Heritage.
Kent Hehr - Veterans Affairs, and Associate Minister of National Defence.
Catherine McKenna - Environment and Climate Change.
Maryam Monsef - Democratic Institutions.
Carla Qualtrough - Sport, and Persons with Disabilities.
Hunter Tootoo - Fisheries and Oceans, and Canadian Coastguard.
Kirsty Duncan - Science.
Lawrence MacAulay - Agriculture.
Navdeep Bains - Innovation, Science and Economic Development.
Judy Foote - Public Services and Procurement.
Dominic Leblanc - Government House Leader
Marie-Claude Bibeau - International Development and La francophonie.
Dianne Lebouthillier - National Revenue.
Maryam Mihychuck - Employment Workforce Development and Labour
Amarjeet Sohi - Infrastructure and Communities.
Bardish Chagger - Small Business and Tourism.

Nice! He pulled it off. Liking the outlook of this so far.
Should this go in the OP? It seems like it would make sense

This may be one of the most stacked cabinets in our history. Folks, this is as close to technocracy as you can get in a democracy, it's very exciting.

We don't know how much leeway he will give each minister, but I bet he gives a lot more than Harper did.

Apathy

I am glad people in their posts are actually knowledgeable of their post rather than being there due to being hangers on.

Pedrito

"Minister of Environment and Climate Change"

Those three words will produce so much conservative tears in the next few days. Don't fail me TheRebel.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
"Minister of Environment and Climate Change"

Those three words will produce so much conservative tears in the next few days. Don't fail me TheRebel.

I can't express how happy I am that there is a minister explicitly for climate change

Sapiens

Good to see a Sikh as the National defense minister. What is everyone's thoughts on Stephane Dion as Foregin Affairs minister?

I was really happy for it, actually.

The only people that will be upset are those that bought into harpers advertising 7 years ago.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Justin needs to work on saying "uh" less, it's kind of distracting to listen to lol

Silexx

Holy crap there's a lot of Trudeau fangirls out today. Sophie may need to start cracking a few skulls before the day's end.

I was really happy for it, actually.

The only people that will be upset are those that bought into harpers advertising 7 years ago.

Dion is seen as a farce even in his native Quebec. Surprised to see him hold such an important ministry.

Pleasantly surprised by the cabinet overall but waiting for actual results before drinking the kool-aid.

maharg

idspispopd
In the past, Aboriginal Affairs hasn't really been about healing any rifts, it's been about appeasement. This is an improvement regardless of whether or not your personal criteria have been met and while you may think that it's a continuation of the status quo, any modicum of research into Bennett's history of politics would tell you how much different her appointment is than any previous appointment.

Putting an aboriginal in the office would have meant Wilson-Raybould would not have been Justice or Hunter Tootoo would not have been Fisheries, both of which are fantastic appointments.

I wouldn't change Justice for the world, but I see no reason why Tootoo couldn't have been Aboriginal Affairs. Is there something about him that makes him particularly suited to fisheries (at least in a way that is any less stereotypical than indigenous person from the north -> fisher)? The Liberals swept the maritimes, so I have a hard time imagining they lacked for people who understand fishing and oceans in their caucus.

Dion is seen as a farce even in his native Quebec. Surprised to see him hold such an important ministry.

Pleasantly surprised by the cabinet overall but waiting for actual results before drinking the kool-aid.

Dion is as qualified as you can get for a politician. Don't know how anyone can say otherwise when you look at his creds.

Stet

Banned
I wouldn't change Justice for the world, but I see no reason why Tootoo couldn't have been Aboriginal Affairs. Is there something about him that makes him particularly suited to fisheries (at least in a way that is any less stereotypical than indigenous person from the north -> fisher)? The Liberals swept the maritimes, so I have a hard time imagining they lacked for people who understand fishing and oceans in their caucus.

He grew up on Hudson Bay and now represents the riding of Iqaluit, which sits on Baffin Island and thus makes the "Coast Guard" part of his title extremely important for our Arctic claim.

Is there something about Maritimers that makes you think they would all be fishers? A very tiny minority of people living there are working in fishing, you're talking <2% of GDP of NS.

Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans has mostly to do with environmental protection of our coasts and protection of population of fisheries.

Edit: Oh yeah and protection of rivers, not to mention coast guard.

Azih

I'm sure JT had long talks with all of the Ministers in question before making the decision. Raybould and Tootoo might not have wanted to be pigeon holed.

maharg

idspispopd
Is there something about Maritimers that makes you think they would all be fishers? A very tiny minority of people living there are working in fishing, you're talking <2% of GDP of NS.

Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans has mostly to do with environmental protection of our coasts and protection of population of fisheries.

Jesus. No, I am not saying I think all maritimers are fishers, especially considering I'm saying not all indigenous people from the north are fishers. I am saying that a bench depth that includes places affected by that ministry is likely to have several good candidates for that ministry.

I am advocating for ministries to be filled by people who are *directly affected*, and not by empathetic outsiders. I was hoping this might be the first time an actual indigenous person would sit in that ministry and I'm disappointed that it's not. Trudeau's father was the first to put a woman in Status of Women, which has stood as precedent since. I hope at some point the same is true for indigenous people.

instead of filling up most of the most important ministries with veterans from the Chretien or Martin governments, Trudeau was wise to get new blood in there.

even Chretien's protege from Shawanigan did not get a ministry and that sends a signal that Trudeau doesn't owe the old guard anything

Trudeau took a 3rd place party to a majority government, he proved that he doesn't owe the old factions anything and that he is lots of room to maneuver to pick who he wants

maharg

idspispopd
At any rate, I've been informed that it was on advice from indigenous people themselves (hearing second hand from something on CBC radio, so I'm not sure who exactly, but possibly the AFN?), so I withdraw my complaint. I still hope that at some point this is a thing that happens without fear of pigeonholing.

Sapiens

Can you outline some important points that would suggest Dion might be poorly suited for the job?

Sean C

I don't really buy this, either. It would still be better for it to be a person who represents at least one half of what that portfolio is about. Someone from the 'north' (which can be considered loosely anything over the band of urban areas near the US border if there aren't enough to draw on in the actual north), or someone indigenous.

I think there have been plenty of attempts to 'heal the rifts' by putting urban people in power to 'dialog' with. A much better way to heal rifts would be to put indigenous people in control of their own destiny as much as possible, including by putting them in positions of power over their own file. I don't think that's 'relegation' at all, and I think framing it that way implies that women on the status of women file are also being 'relegated' (particularly back when there weren't as many women in government). No, putting them there was empowering them in cabinet to work on improving their own lot. The same would be true of an indigenous minister for aboriginal affairs.
Thing is, a lot of aboriginals wouldn't want to be minister for that department, because its interactions with aboriginal peoples are frequently adversarial, and it would put them in an awkward position.

What is everyone's thoughts on Stephane Dion as Foregin Affairs minister?
He's one of the best people in the House of Commons, and both of his previous jobs were about intergovernmental relations to a great extent, so he's a terrific choice. I'd previously thought about it, but I wasn't sure if Trudeau wanted to give him such a high-profile job.

I was actually a Dion delegate to the 2006 convention. His time as leader didn't work out (partly because of his own mistakes, in great part because of the Tory attack ad machine), but he's one of the most honest and intelligent people in public life in the last two decades.

Stet

Banned

*Dion seen as a farce in his native Quebec*
*Was elected with 61% of the votes in his native Quebec*
*Has been the MP for his riding since 1996 in his native Quebec*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom