• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Naughty Dog will be on Vita, all of our studios [Naughty Dog: Nope]

jrDev

Good, but they need a Vita only franchise. Something that when you think of that game, it will only be found on playstation portable devices...

Don't forget, something mass market...lbp was such a lost opportunity as a portable only franchise...

I don't understand how a presentation was made to a board of investors that amounted to doubling down on their PSP strategy.

Even the commercials basically say, "the PS3 stays home, but the vita takes the games everywhere!" Umm, a lot of people do not have nor want a PS3. How is that a compelling strategy? Your marquee "look at me" title is an Uncharted game! Granted, it looks good, but I just don't see many people outside the hardcore clamoring for this.

arne

We're not working on anything for PS Vita. I won't say never, ever, but there's no plans for it right now - we've always felt that consoles play to our strengths as a studio the best.

Given the brackets (to indicate an implication on the part of the quote) I'm sure this was a misunderstanding to the question that was being posed.

Radec

We're not working on anything for PS Vita. I won't say never, ever, but there's no plans for it right now - we've always felt that consoles play to our strengths as a studio the best.

Given the brackets (to indicate an implication on the part of the quote) I'm sure this was a misunderstanding to the question that was being posed.

Annnnddd /thread

Dagger.

Question was asking him if we would see games from Sony's top studios like MM, SSM, Gorilla. Geoff asked"Are we going to see any of those guys playing with Vita? Or even Naughty Dog"

Answer"Yeah absolutely, you'll see a number of games coming from all of our studios."

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

"Naughty Dog bails out from Vita Development"

Strike

Vita confirmed dead (again)

Thoraxes

I figured as much. Thanks Arne!

DiscoJer

And that's exactly why the Vita's strategy (console games on a portable) is fatally flawed - if Sony's own studio view the VIta as being beneath them, then what do third parties think? They're not likely to develop original AAA games for the Vita, or perhaps even just Vita version of multi-platform games

"Is Vita a successful platform? First party studios won't develop games for it"

Well, again, Sony needs to convince people to buy a Vita instead of a 3DS or iOS or Android tablet (and then buy games for it). Strong support from Sony would differentiate it from other devices, and show third parties that it's a platform that should be taken seriously.

su5PV.jpg

Poor Sony can't catch a break.

AniHawk

And that's exactly why the Vita's strategy (console games on a portable) is fatally flawed - if Sony's own studio view the VIta as being beneath them, then what do third parties think? They're not likely to develop AAA games, or perhaps even Vita version of multi-platform games

arne didn't say that the vita was beneath them, just that the system didn't play to their strengths.

StuBurns

Banned
And that's exactly why the Vita's strategy (console games on a portable) is fatally flawed - if Sony's own studio view the VIta as being beneath them, then what do third parties think? They're not likely to develop AAA games, or perhaps even Vita version of multi-platform games
He didn't say it was beneath them. He basically said they make games they feel aren't a good fit for portable gaming, and he's correct.

antonz

Is Sony in denial, or did somebody just have a slip of the tounge?

I think its a case where Sony has to be optimistic and say sure we have our top studios going to be doing projects. If they come out and flat out say No our best studios arent going to touch Vita its bad news

Is Sony in denial, or did somebody just have a slip of the tounge?

In the same interview when asked about Sony's sales goals with Vita, the guy said they expect it to be the #1 handheld in the world.

It was a total "rah, rah, Vita is the greatest" interview in terms of his answers.

edit-
It's a Longsworth issue - Keighley clearly asked him a few questions that he hadn't adequately prepped for, and he slipped into "hype up Vita by saying 'yes' to everything" mode without regard for (or, possibly, complete knowledge of) the facts. It wasn't the only question in the interview for which his response seemed to go a bit off-message.
Missed your post first time around, but yeah I think he went in expecting total fluff and was taken back a bit when asked actual questions.

arne

Question was asking him if we would see games from Sony's top studios like MM, SSM, Gorilla. Geoff asked"Are we going to see any of those guys playing with Vita? Or even Naughty Dog"

Answer"Yeah absolutely, you'll see a number of games coming from all of our studios."

I hadn't seen (nor have I yet) the original interview. that seems like a particularly long leap to have Guy say that you'll see first party SCE studios develop or provide content for Vita - and then go that Naughty Dog is confirmed as a Vita developer. It seems a bit unscrupulous on eurogamer's part to make that inference *specifically* from Guy's answers if Guy didn't call out a particular studio.

Guy's answer is correct - Eurogamer's interpretation is not.

Guy knows what's up - he's been great at SCEA since he started.

arne didn't say that the vita was beneath them, just that the system didn't play to their strengths.

Actually I didn't say that either. I hate to sound like a treading the line spin-meister here, but I've said that traditionally consoles have played to our strengths - and desires to push the utmost limit of resources and memory our tech and engine. That can change with the right handheld, as why I said I won't ever say "never" but we hadn't encountered that yet - that's why Jak TLF wasn't an internal project for us.

Of course, I should have expected the GAF hyperbole to go from there - but we've never made a handheld game, so us saying we're not working on anything at the moment shouldn't be some earth shattering surprise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hadn't seen (nor have I yet) the original interview.

It's at the very end of this (around the 8 minute mark or so I think?): http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ps-vita-sony/726994?

I can see why they would get confused given the question phrasing, since it did leave wiggle room both ways while mentioning Naughty Dog by name.

That's actually why I made this thread, since I figured we either had a big news story or someone would come and make the statement unambiguous. Thanks for coming by to answer.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
But if Sony one day orders Naughty Dog to make a game for Vita, Naughty Dog must comply with that order since it is owned by Sony, correct?

AniHawk

Actually I didn't say that either. I hate to sound like a treading the line spin-meister here, but I've said that traditionally consoles have played to our strengths - and desires to push the utmost limit of resources and memory our tech and engine. That can change with the right handheld, as why I said I won't ever say "never" but we hadn't encountered that yet - that's why Jak TLF wasn't an internal project for us.

Of course, I should have expected the GAF hyperbole to go from there - but we've never made a handheld game, so us saying we're not working on anything at the moment shouldn't be some earth shattering surprise.

sorry. didn't mean to misconstrue your words. i guess there's a difference between 'consoles play to our strengths' and 'handhelds do not play to our strengths' (no sarcasm)

AniHawk

Sony looking dumb for sure. Seems like they're bummed out ND won't be able to help the precious Vita out..

the vita should do fine. it just needs to tout more of its handheldy games more. littlebigplanet 2 might actually do really well if marketed correctly. being able to directly build levels thanks to the touch screen sounds pretty cool.

He didn't say it was beneath them. He basically said they make games they feel aren't a good fit for portable gaming, and he's correct.

Because games like Uncharted and Jak & Daxter could never work on a handheld.

We all knew this was going to happen anyway. While SCEE have spent some time and effort actually trying to understand the handheld market (going by last years PSP sales and that they came up with the comic store and Minis), SCEA don't seem to have learnt a thing. I expect it'll be thrown under the bus just like the PSP and they'll be completely shocked that their endless line of spinoffs never worked.

arne

sorry. didn't mean to misconstrue your words. i guess there's a difference between 'consoles play to our strengths' and 'handhelds do not play to our strengths' (no sarcasm)

i guess if we were splitting hairs, i would say the handheld released to date didn't play to our strengths. i can't say, given that were in the middle of developing U3 and starting work on TLOU when the PS Vita started to materialize, that we had the opportunity to take a hard look at the hardware and make any sort of determination on developing for it. we have been a little busy. :)

Radec

In before..

Sony: Naughty Dog will be on Vita, all of our studios
Naughty Dog: Nope
Sony: No, you are. You just don't know it yet

I hadn't seen (nor have I yet) the original interview. that seems like a particularly long leap to have Guy say that you'll see first party SCE studios develop or provide content for Vita - and then go that Naughty Dog is confirmed as a Vita developer. It seems a bit unscrupulous on eurogamer's part to make that inference *specifically* from Guy's answers if Guy didn't call out a particular studio.

Guy's answer is correct - Eurogamer's interpretation is not.

Guy knows what's up - he's been great at SCEA since he started.

The question is pretty unambiguous, dude.

Q: "What about the top dog studios....MM, Guerilla, SSM......are we gonna see them playing with Vita? Even Naughty Dog?"
A: " Yeah, absolutely, you'll see a number of games coming out from all of our studios"

I think the interpretation is pretty clear.

Naughty Dog reminds me of my lead. The guy is not really a team player at all, if it's not automation coding, he won't help out the team at all, not with manual testing, not with performance testing, not with database administration, but damn it if that guy can't code. ND also won't help out the team at all, not with Move, not with Vita, but damn it if they're not a top 5 developer.

That's one thing I like about Sony, they let their studios do what they want, even if it doesn't necessarily go with what the company wants. Nintendo and Microsoft don't let their studios have that kind of liberty. Out of curiosity, you mentioned TLF being an external project, so was Golden Shower, I read before that Hennig kinda oversaw the story there, is that true? Did you at least have some input in that product?

Top Bottom