• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

KGKK

Banned
elrechazao said:
It's all about whether people like it or not.
PA.jpg
:lol :lol :lol
Yeah the game will be fine, too many people hating on it for no reason. It's not like this will stop GoWIII from releasing or anything.
The demo was fine, I urge people to give it a chance. The only flaws in the demo I found(which I played right after GoW collection back to back) was the lack of feedback when you hit an enemy and the way he got killed.
I loved the cross laser thingy and whether or not to judge the demons you fight.

Oh and to the people :lol at Dante killing Death, well in GoWII you fucking kill the "Sisters of Fate" which is even more far fetched. Didn't stop GoWII from being one of the greatest most epic games of last gen:D

Stink

Seanspeed said:
It hurts it because its not original. That definitely counts for something, dont ya think?

I said plainly in the same post that if judged on its own merits, it could very well be a great game, but there's going to be the inevitable backlack of the 'been there, done that' syndrome.

I agree, I'm sick of God of War now as well. Been there, done that.

Ironborn

Banned
well, let's just say, had this game been released in 2003, it would have been fantastic
but after playing 3 god of war entries, the same old gameplay minus the badassery and fantastic design tastes kinda bland
graphics pretty much flat out suck, i can't believe this is from the guys who made the visually superb dead space
the gameplay is more or less the same as in god of war, not a bad thing but not a good thing either, considering that the last entry is 3 years old and the next one will likely bring some refinements to the table in less than two months

all in all it's an ok game, but nothing i would consider buying full-priced, especially not when god of war 3 is around the corner
for the xbox-only crowd i guess it's worth picking up when it drops to half the price

BluWacky

KGKK said:
Oh and to the people :lol at Dante killing Death, well in GoWII you fucking kill the "Sisters of Fate" which is even more far fetched. Didn't stop GoWII from being one of the greatest most epic games of last gen:D

I'm not going to feel too ashamed about arguing this - it's a gaming forum, after all - so no, no it isn't more far-fetched.

It's obvious in God Of War that Clothos controls the threads of destiny themselves, hence how the endgame plays out. But she's not the personification of destiny - she has all that equipment doing stuff for her. In killing her there is no contradiction, no weird consequence of Kratos's actions - fate doesn't stop being written without the three sisters being there, they're more like guardians than anything else.

In Dante's Inferno, though, you are presented with Death coming to claim Dante's spirit after he gets knifed in the back. As far as we are aware, this is THE Death, there aren't a multitude of them; hence why it's such a big deal that Dante kills him and gets his scythe and therefore DOESN'T DIE. So how is it that Beatrice gets butchered by soldiers when there's no Death to collect on it? Why are there no consequences to it? I know, it's only a video game, but it's a ridiculous way to set up the game and it really pulls you out of the experience.

I don't know why it bothers me so much here when it doesn't at all in Castlevania, as ponn01 mentions upthread. I also don't think it's a deal breaker; the game is sheer cheese (plus gratuitous tits) but plays well enough. But it's obviously offputting to a lot of us.

Ironborn said:
all in all it's an ok game, but nothing i would consider buying full-priced, especially not when god of war 3 is around the corner
for the xbox-only crowd i guess it's worth picking up when it drops to half the price

So you've played the full retail game?

KGKK

Banned
BluWacky said:
I'm not going to feel too ashamed about arguing this - it's a gaming forum, after all - so no, no it isn't more far-fetched.

It's obvious in God Of War that Clothos controls the threads of destiny themselves, hence how the endgame plays out. But she's not the personification of destiny - she has all that equipment doing stuff for her. In killing her there is no contradiction, no weird consequence of Kratos's actions - fate doesn't stop being written without the three sisters being there, they're more like guardians than anything else.

In Dante's Inferno, though, you are presented with Death coming to claim Dante's spirit after he gets knifed in the back. As far as we are aware, this is THE Death, there aren't a multitude of them; hence why it's such a big deal that Dante kills him and gets his scythe and therefore DOESN'T DIE. So how is it that Beatrice gets butchered by soldiers when there's no Death to collect on it? Why are there no consequences to it? I know, it's only a video game, but it's a ridiculous way to set up the game and it really pulls you out of the experience.

I don't know why it bothers me so much here when it doesn't at all in Castlevania, as ponn01 mentions upthread. I also don't think it's a deal breaker; the game is sheer cheese (plus gratuitous tits) but plays well enough. But it's obviously offputting to a lot of us.

Come on, the Sisters controlled time for gods sake, Kratos was able to use the time thingy to go back who knows how long and bring all the Titans back with him to fight the gods. I'm sure The Sisters of Fate could have somehow prevented their death and would have seen it coming or something at least better than going back to the first GoW setting taking Kratos with you to the sword used to kill Ares. How bout like when he was a baby or perhaps tempt him to save his wife and daughter in the past?

Ironborn said:
well, let's just say, had this game been released in 2003, it would have been fantastic
but after playing 3 god of war entries, the same old gameplay minus the badassery and fantastic design tastes kinda bland
graphics pretty much flat out suck, i can't believe this is from the guys who made the visually superb dead space
the gameplay is more or less the same as in god of war, not a bad thing but not a good thing either, considering that the last entry is 3 years old and the next one will likely bring some refinements to the table in less than two months

Ahhh, sounds like you played the full game? Lol, sure the beginning area of the demo was bland however if you watched the developer videos, the one thing they seem proud of the most is the presentation and set pieces of their seven levels of hell. Plus it all runs at a silky smooth 60fps which is a big deal. Dead Space didn't look so hot in the beginning either and had a complete shit of a demo. Give the developers the benefit of the doubt.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ok, so I'm morbidly curious.
Are the two demos identical in content?
If so, which ones gets the technical edge?

Is there any kind of consensus here, or is it more of a controller preference thing?

Thanks.

ultim8p00

Banned
Also, DO NOT WATCH THE ANIME. Seriously, do not watch it. It will ruin the story for you. The story is actually pretty entertaining if a bit on the ridiculous side, and I think a lot of people will like it. Once again, the ANIME will spoil the ENTIRE GAME for you so DO NOT WATCH IT if you care.

EzLink

Banned
I do like how one random low life enemy can stab and "kill" dante and then dante turns around and kicks deaths ass

as absolutely ludicrous as this game will be i would absolutely play it if the text were readable on an SDTV :(

Mdk7

ultim8p00 said:
Also, DO NOT WATCH THE ANIME. Seriously, do not watch it. It will ruin the story for you. The story is actually pretty entertaining if a bit on the ridiculous side, and I think a lot of people will like it. Once again, the ANIME will spoil the ENTIRE GAME for you so DO NOT WATCH IT if you care.
Thanks man, i'll watch it after beating the game.
BTW is the anime any good?
It looks promising to me...

Darklord

Banned
This game is out today(or at least broken street date) and there are no reviews. It seems pretty strange they'd leave the embargo this long.

glaurung

Darklord said:
This game is out today(or at least broken street date) and there are no reviews. It seems pretty strange they'd leave the embargo this long.
Must be one of those "if your review grades the game below 60% you cannot print it before March 2012" things.

kuYuri

SolidSnakex said:
Both run at 60fps with no tearing and both are 720p with no AA.

Figured, Visceral did a great job with Dead Space on PS3 and 360, which was also 1280x720 with no AA on both.

Nemesis_

Wow. A customisable mission maker and multiplayer co-op are coming to Dante's Inferno, known as "Trials of St. Lucia"

Basically the second player takes the role of St. Lucia.

Sounds like a pretty cool idea if you ask me.

Launching April 29th.

MacBosse

Nemesis556 said:
Wow. A customisable mission maker and multiplayer co-op are coming to Dante's Inferno, known as "Trials of St. Lucia"

First, is that shared screen coop then I guess? Awesome cool!'

Second, April??? Damn that's a long wait.

Monocle

Nemesis556 said:

Launching April 29th.
That's the most interesting thing I've heard about the game so far. I wonder how it will turn out. Best case scenario: it's good enough to be ripped off by one of the action series I like.

kuYuri

Nemesis556 said:

Launching April 29th.

Source?

codecow said:
There was AA just not MSAA.

Well, Beyond3D says no AA, so I just follow what they say.

painey

Visceral Games have an incredible love of the now redundant save point.. in the past we had to have them but now its tiresome having to find save points.. I wish they would realise this.

painey said:
Visceral Games have an incredible love of the now redundant save point.. in the past we had to have them but now its tiresome having to find save points.. I wish they would realise this.
As long as there's a continue system that's more forgiving than 'go back to your last save,' save points are a good way to be sure that you can't essentially save-state your way through a game, and these days most games that use them space them out pretty frequently, so you can either move forward to reach one or backtrack for ~60secs if absolutely necessary.

ultim8p00 said:

I already have and I agree. Several key story points have already been laid out as well as possible ending. I wish I could have resisted, because I though it was about back story ala Dead Space anime

On another note the game is out in Turkey already and I will get my copy in 2-3 days :D

I'm really looking forward to this, seems like Visceral put a lot of effort in to it. After Dead Space I reckon they can pull off their own spin on GOW style gameplay, much as they did with RE4. There's a lot of love apparent in the dev diaries, podcasts and interviews. Besides, epic set piece driven action adventures are fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nemesis556 said:

Launching April 29th.
what what what

MacBosse

Nemesis556 said:

Launching April 29th.

The customisable mission maker is looks more like a "challenge maker" since you only seem to be able to set the amount and strength of the enemy waves that you will face ...

And the coop looked like it was just online and in those challenges ... not a new adventure.

Dipswitch

I played the demo a few weeks back and thought it was decent. It's painfully similar to the GOW games of course, and I'm not sure whose bright idea it was to release it just prior to the release of GOW 3. That aside, I thought the production values were strong and the gameplay seemed decent (If not utterly familiar).

I will say that I've either gotten a lot better at handling QTE's, or the timing to execute them in this game is awfully generous. Either way, it made playing through the demo a lot more enjoyable. By the end of GOW 2, I was thoroughly sick of replaying segments of the game because I couldn't hit 5 different buttons with split second timing (I'm looking at you final boss battle).

Relaxed Muscle said:
Belmonts and the other protagonist of the castlevania series are or either powerful humans/vampires that controls magic, have sacred powers, equiped with armors infused with powers and armed with holy/demoniac powerful weapons,that somewhat made sense they can kill a demon being like death, some unknown crusader that was just stabbed in the back by some stupid ass, beating death with just a common lance, make no sense whatsoever.

Yes, is an over the top action game, but at least be consistent.

For the record I don't think the game is bad, is terrible deriative, uninspired, stupid and destroys a classic book.But the core gameplay it isn't that bad, and actually I think it could be a good game.The problem is I can't see anyone getting this over Bayonetta or GOW3....

If I'm playing a game heavy in action where I need to stop and THINK about what I'm doing, it's time to get something else to play. And not bother posting about it on GAF

Dipswitch said:
I played the demo a few weeks back and thought it was decent. It's painfully similar to the GOW games of course, and I'm not sure whose bright idea it was to release it just prior to the release of GOW 3. That aside, I thought the production values were strong and the gameplay seemed decent (If not utterly familiar).

I will say that I've either gotten a lot better at handling QTE's, or the timing to execute them in this game is awfully generous. Either way, it made playing through the demo a lot more enjoyable. By the end of GOW 2, I was thoroughly sick of replaying segments of the game because I couldn't hit 5 different buttons with split second timing (I'm looking at you final boss battle).

How is almost two months apart close to release of GOW III?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Any exclusive preorder bonuses anywhere?
Thinking about biting... still unsure.
But leaning towards the PS3 Divine Edition over the 360 version.

El-Suave

nicholasbrutal said:
were you able to pick up a retail copy early?

Some online retailers have sent the game out today, it's available in Europe on Feb 4th and 5th (UK) officially. No Superbowl induced delays for us.

Nemesis_

Mejilan said:
Any exclusive preorder bonuses anywhere?
Thinking about biting... still unsure.
But leaning towards the PS3 Divine Edition over the 360 version.

The only one in this country was a triple relic pack.

Basically contained three stat boosters, but they seem pretty useful but I have not been able to access them yet - perhaps they dont go up until official release?

1.) Brain of Ruggieri - Dodge roll from any special cobo
2.) Palo's Heart - Turn souls into Mana (Maybe not this one)
3.) Wing of Furie - Increased hit counter on Scythe (how does this even work? >_>)

But yeah that's all I've seen around.

Dipswitch

Ze_Pershing said:
How is almost two months apart close to release of GOW III?

Dantes Inferno is officially released on 2/9. God Of War 3 is officially released on 3/16. How is that almost 2 months apart?

In addition, given that the two gameplay styles are extremely similar (And have been made popular by the GOW series), I think it's fair to say that people may well choose to wait for GOW 3 rather than buy Dantes Inferno now. They should have released this last year.

Dipswitch said:
Dantes Inferno is officially released on 2/9. God Of War 3 is officially released on 3/16. How is that almost 2 months apart?

In addition, given that the two gameplay styles are extremely similar (And have been made popular by the GOW series), I think it's fair to say that people may well choose to wait for GOW 3 than buy Dantes Inferno now. They should have released this last year.

Which is why EA is putting so much money into advertising this game. They need to separate it from God of War 3

Top Bottom