• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

JSR_Cube

Is there a reason to kickstart it? Is going to go on sale anyway right?

Right now there is some vague wording that "this version" won't be sold in stores like Amazon that offer steep discounts. But really at this point, who knows? But this is a game by one of the better known designers, I am taking a chance that it will be available somewhere in the future. Plus, those mini expansions that they are bundling don't look essential.

JSR_Cube

Also there is this hilarious disclaimer on their kickstarter page:

Canada, Russia, Brazil and any other country: We are not responsible for any local charges, customs and/or lost packages due to local postal service. We will not reimburse you if that is the case.

XShagrath

Is there a reason to kickstart it? Is going to go on sale anyway right?
I don't see any reason this doesn't go to retail. Hell, Miniature Market had it for pre-order for $42 (out of stock now though). It would make zero sense for Queen to do a single print run of a game through KS only for one of the most popular Euro designers out there. The "version" being mentioned is probably the "Queenie" add-ons that won't be available in the retail box, but will probably come out separately via BGG store or something like that.

ParityBit

So does anyone have Doomtown? I am thinking about Kickstarting it and maybe adding one of the exp packs. I am wondering if that is worth it and if so, which?

Neverfade

So does anyone have Doomtown? I am thinking about Kickstarting it and maybe adding one of the exp packs. I am wondering if that is worth it and if so, which?

I own a copy. It isn't the worst game ever made but I don't know if there's a single LCG from FFG I'd wouldn't play over it. Netrunner is better, Star Wars is better, Conquest is better.

Izayoi

Banned
Heh... On the plus side board games tends to hold their value well so odds are when you tire of scythe you will be able to get most of that price back
That's always reassuring, but my collection is so small right now (five or six games total) that it's not even a thought that crossed my mind.

ParityBit

I own a copy. It isn't the worst game ever made but I don't know if there's a single LCG from FFG I'd wouldn't play over it. Netrunner is better, Star Wars is better, Conquest is better.

I had thought about Netrunner but there are so many exp packs and such that I had no idea where/when to jump in. I read in another post that they are changing cards altogether? So would I wait for that release? I dunno.

ultron87

Got another play of Ra in last night, which cemented it as one of my favorites. The moment in a round where it's one player left and the rest of the table is goading them on to foolishly(?) draw another tile from the bag so that they'll draw a red tile and lose everything is one of my favorite moments in board games. Because it either ends with the one player triumphantly drawing yet another points tile and getting to make out like a bandit with a huge set of winnings, or they draw a red tile, everyone else cheers, and then laughs as the player contemplates their hubris.

emag

Got another play of Ra in last night, which cemented it as one of my favorites. The moment in a round where it's one player left and the rest of the table is goading them on to foolishly(?) draw another tile from the bag so that they'll draw a red tile and lose everything is one of my favorite moments in board games. Because it either ends with the one player triumphantly drawing yet another points tile and getting to make out like a bandit with a huge set of winnings, or they draw a red tile, everyone else cheers, and then laughs as the player contemplates their hubris.

Ra is a fantastic blend of auction and push-your-luck mechanics, and my most played game outside of social deduction games (and Race for the Galaxy). It hasn't been topped in all these years (please don't bring up the inferior reimplementations Priests of Ra and Razzia).

Medici (also by Knizia) shares a number of features with Ra, but is even simpler and works better with 5-6 players (Ra's sweet spot is 3, IMO).

Any of you guys going to PAX Unplugged? I know it's the same week as BGG Con so it will be interesting how this will go for them.

Me and a friend are going there for Friday and Saturday. First con I'll ever have been to, I'm excited. Especially since I've been really getting into board games.

betapeter

Neo Member
Has anyone played Vast? More specifically, Vast on solo?

It looks awesome, but I can't justify getting it if it is meh

I played all the roles solo to teach myself the game and had almost no fun at all.
I then did a 4 player and it was a blast, hard to teach; though the roles differ in complexity.
I always play the orc horde (the hardest) and give the weakest player the cave (the easiest)
I can't recommend it as a solo game though.

I just realized I haven't posted in here for a bit.

After my friend made me read the first two books in the Kingkiller Chronicle series (which I absolutely loved to the extent I considered trying to read them while walking because they were so hard to put down and so wonderful emotionally. Just very, very good). I ended up picking up Tak, which is mentioned in the second book, The Wise Man's Fear, but rules and such are never brought up. I guess Rothfuss' friend or acquaintance tried to think up rules for the board game Kvothe plays in the book and Rothfuss liked it enough to give the OK to publishing it and running a KS campaign. Either way..

It is an abstract strategy game with very, very few rules. Simply, there are only two things you can do on you turn and there are a few modifiers to those two actions.

But I feel like it is a well designed game and it has been VERY fun to play. Calling Tak and playing "courtly like" could be seen as trying to overlook some design decisions and I understand that, but when everyone is on board and happy to point out moves that would be mistakes and letting each other try other ways of playing, it really is a fun and super pleasant experience while also being tooth grindingly tense. I think if people are into abstract games it is well worth looking into and it plays a LOT better than it seems on video. Has the whole flower blossoming in the mind effect as the depth of strategy, even though it is simple, becomes apparent.

zeeaykay

I've recently been seeing TAK being compared favorably to Santorini as the hot new abstract game, though it seems to have flown under the radar a bit. It doesn't have the color or fun theme of Santorini and by being all wood on a simple square board it gives the impression of a serious, dry game which might drive some people away.

I've recently been seeing TAK being compared favorably to Santorini as the hot new abstract game, though it seems to have flown under the radar a bit. It doesn't have the color or fun theme of Santorini and by being all wood on a simple square board it gives the impression of a serious, dry game which might drive some people away.

That is something I have thought about too. The game ships with a two sided board and the "pretty" side is kind of messy and makes the outer grid look a bit too busy. I feel like this could take away from the game too, when the other side is just a standard "wood" looking grid on somewhat thin cardboard.

Nevertheless, if the rules appeal to people I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It is a lot of fun. I do feel playing in the "courtly" way helps the experience a lot too, at least early on while people are learning how the game plays. Knowing the rules probably isn't enough early on, because while it is simple insofar as rules are concerned, as stacks form it becomes quite deep and complex strategically. Being nice about it and letting each other try and see different options of play is nice and plays into the theme of it being a "beautiful game" too.

I heartily (and highly, HIGHLY) recommend the books the game is derived from too. Supposing high fantasy, music etc are themes people enjoy in reading.

KJ869

Warning to those concidering Resident Evil 2 board game kickstarter. Steamforged Games seems to be stumbling like hell with this Darkasouls Kickstarter. MY game is now 4 months late, Over a week I have had invalid tracking number.. And they are communicating to me or to Asian backers, or to the italian/spanish language backers basickly nothing. Just claimed earlier this month that every game should have arrived by now. Games are allready at retail

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Warning to those concidering Resident Evil 2 board game kickstarter. Steamforged Games seems to be stumbling like hell with this Darkasouls Kickstarter. MY game is now 4 months late, Over a week I have had invalid tracking number.. And they are communicating to me or to Asian backers, or to the italian/spanish language backers basickly nothing. Just claimed earlier this month that every game should have arrived by now. Games are allready at retail

Wave 2 was supposed to ship in August I think as well and it never did.

edit: Man Lisboa makes my brain hurt

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Do you like the game though?

Oh yea we liked it a lot. You only do one of four actions a turn, but each of those actions has an underlying 3 or 4 options to take as sub actions. Most all of them are interconnected as well, even with other players. It is very front loaded with lots of rules for all of the options available to you every turn, but once it clicks the game is a fantastic open ended heavy euro.

Daedardus

Oh yea we liked it a lot. You only do one of four actions a turn, but each of those actions has an underlying 3 or 4 options to take as sub actions. Most all of them are interconnected as well, even with other players. It is very front loaded with lots of rules for all of the options available to you every turn, but once it clicks the game is a fantastic open ended heavy euro.

How much would you want to pay for it, taking into account the production quality of the game?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
How much would you want to pay for it, taking into account the production quality of the game?

It goes for 70 at CSI and it is certainly worth that. The component quality is as good as I have seen. Multilayer player mats which have notches for all the bits you put on top and slots to slide in your cards underneath. Everything has a linen finish. The board is huge with fantastic art. The box is heavy duty and it comes with a hard plastic covered insert to place everything.

Daedardus

It goes for 70 at CSI and it is certainly worth that. The component quality is as good as I have seen. Multilayer player mats which have notches for all the bits you put on top and slots to slide in your cards underneath. Everything has a linen finish. The board is huge with fantastic art. The box is heavy duty and it comes with a hard plastic covered insert to place everything.

Cheapest I could find was €100 for a pre-order, €120 for immediate delivery. Not going to take it at that price.

I am, need to get my hotel though. Hoping to have fun though!
I got a hotel but it's a bit far I think I might try to get closer one. I am not familiar with the area last time I went to Philly was over a decade ago.

May be we can do GAF meet up. Anyone here from Philly or vicinity.

zulux21

I got a hotel but it's a bit far I think I might try to get closer one. I am not familiar with the area last time I went to Philly was over a decade ago.

May be we can do GAF meet up. Anyone here from Philly or vicinity.
I'm in Wisconsin and still need to find a group to buy sell trade with locally as shipping is really expensive on most board games

Izayoi

Banned
What do you have?
Scythe (first expansion on the way)
Catan (w/ Cities and Knights and Seafarers) - we started with this
Century Spice Road (a little thin for us, but we've only played a handful of games)
Pandemic (great, but we have mastered the base game and are pending an expansion or Legacy)

Then I've got a bunch of stuff to play with family, that doesn't really apply to this thread. Stuff like chess, backgammon, Life, Monopoly, Scrabble, Pit (I do love Pit), Uno, Mexican Train, Cards Against Humanity, etc.

Our group is four strong (two married couples) sometimes with guests. We are very new to the hobby but having a blast so far. I've been doing tons of research and on my list of what to get next I've got the following lined up, in no particular order:

7 Wonders
Blood Rage
Clank
Pandemic Legacy
Arkham Horror LCG
(this will be expensive for 4 players so I'm procrastinating)
Dominion
Splendor
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Agricola
Power Grid
Lords of Vegas

Century Spice Road (a little thin for us, but we've only played a handful of games)

Our group is four strong (two married couples) sometimes with guests. We are very new to the hobby but having a blast so far. I've been doing tons of research and on my list of what to get next I've got the following lined up, in no particular order:

7 Wonders
Blood Rage
Clank
Pandemic Legacy
Arkham Horror LCG
Dominion
Splendor
Agricola
Power Grid
Lords of Vegas

I want to throw out there, based on what you said above about the games you currently own:
- Splendor will overlap Century Spice Road, so unless it's a must-have, don't get this
- I like Palace of Mad King Ludwig and recommend it over Castles (comes out next month?)
- Personal props to Power Grid, Lords of Vegas!

I've played Ghost Stories a couple of times and it's been beating my gaming group's ass. To the point that I don't really like playing it. It's so insanely daunting that I googled to make sure we were playing right. Everything I found said that it was insanely hard and more or less matched up with how we were playing as I read it.

Nevertheless, I bought the iOS app since it's probably getting delisted next week since it hasn't been updated since February 2012. Who knows, maybe I could git gud by playing it more often.

So I'm playing as we normally do, and then I notice, hey, why didn't the haunters move? Why isn't everyone's special locked? Pull up the in app manual and read it more closely. Turns out we've been playing it wrong all along, moving all the haunters on every player's yin phase and locking everyone's special even if it was on only one players board.

Playing in the app, it's still hard, but I made it much further through the ghost deck than we ever had before and I was only casually playing, not min/maxing every decision.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I'm playing as we normally do, and then I notice, hey, why didn't the haunters move? Why isn't everyone's special locked? Pull up the in app manual and read it more closely. Turns out we've been playing it wrong all along, moving all the haunters on every player's yin phase and locking everyone's special even if it was on only one players board.

Playing in the app, it's still hard, but I made it much further through the ghost deck than we ever had before and I was only casually playing, not min/maxing every decision.

hahahah that's brutal but i'm glad you worked it out because it really is a great game. probably in my top 20. just the right level of difficulty where it feels really satisfying to win

That is something I have thought about too. The game ships with a two sided board and the "pretty" side is kind of messy and makes the outer grid look a bit too busy. I feel like this could take away from the game too, when the other side is just a standard "wood" looking grid on somewhat thin cardboard.

Nevertheless, if the rules appeal to people I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It is a lot of fun. I do feel playing in the "courtly" way helps the experience a lot too, at least early on while people are learning how the game plays. Knowing the rules probably isn't enough early on, because while it is simple insofar as rules are concerned, as stacks form it becomes quite deep and complex strategically. Being nice about it and letting each other try and see different options of play is nice and plays into the theme of it being a "beautiful game" too.

I heartily (and highly, HIGHLY) recommend the books the game is derived from too. Supposing high fantasy, music etc are themes people enjoy in reading.

... when the third book is written. Be aware he is "one of those authors".

That said, and more importantly, proceeds from the game also contributes to his charity which is worth supporting. Clearly the author is not writing because he is so upset about Trump and the state of the world, which is fair enough. Supporting all that through a cool abstract seems like a good idea to me.

Izayoi

Banned
I want to throw out there, based on what you said above about the games you currently own:
- Splendor will overlap Century Spice Road, so unless it's a must-have, don't get this
- I like Palace of Mad King Ludwig and recommend it over Castles (comes out next month?)
- Personal props to Power Grid, Lords of Vegas!
I played Splendor with my wife at a local game night and we liked it a lot more than Century Spice Road. We only played three rounds, so maybe it's not enough time to judge, but it was a lot more engaging for us. Not sure why...

Is Palace a separate game from Castles? I'll have to look into it. Does it update or iterate on Castles or is it totally different?

Thank you for the recommendations and advice! I'll take all the help I can get, I'm out if my element here for sure.

zulux21

I've played Ghost Stories a couple of times and it's been beating my gaming group's ass. To the point that I don't really like playing it. It's so insanely daunting that I googled to make sure we were playing right. Everything I found said that it was insanely hard and more or less matched up with how we were playing as I read it.

Nevertheless, I bought the iOS app since it's probably getting delisted next week since it hasn't been updated since February 2012. Who knows, maybe I could git gud by playing it more often.

My group made a new difficulty we named baby that we play on for ghost stories.

The changes from the normal easy we made.

1. If you have all the tokens out of a color you can sacrifice one of them to replace the global tile (by normal rules on easy you have all the black tao tokens out and can't actually set the global tile to black if you get an early rush of black and some lockers :/)
2. The tile that pushes back haunters either A. Lets you push back everything or B. lets you push back 3 of them. Normally you just pick a side of the board and push back that single side.
3. We borrow a thing that makes things easier that is in one of the expansions (without adding the stuff that makes things harder) which is when you are at 1HP you are allowed to also use the ability of the taoist across the board from you as long as you both have access to your abilities.

with those changes we have a pretty good win record on baby mode. but we still lose more often than you would think lol.

sasimirobot

7 Wonders
Blood Rage
Clank
Pandemic Legacy
Arkham Horror LCG
Dominion
Splendor
Agricola
Power Grid
Lords of Vegas

7wonders is where it's at with everything you describe about your game group!

Lyng

Scythe (first expansion on the way)
Catan (w/ Cities and Knights and Seafarers) - we started with this
Pandemic (great, but we have mastered the base game and are pending an expansion or Legacy)

Then I've got a bunch of stuff to play with family, that doesn't really apply to this thread. Stuff like chess, backgammon, Life, Monopoly, Scrabble, Pit (I do love Pit), Uno, Mexican Train, Cards Against Humanity, etc.

7 Wonders
Blood Rage
Clank
Pandemic Legacy
Arkham Horror LCG
Dominion
Splendor
Agricola
Power Grid
Lords of Vegas

If spice road is too light, you can scratch castles of Mad king ludwig and probably clank aswell. Oh yeah and lords of vegas aswell.

You should probably go for Agricola or Blood Rage.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Clank is cool, but it wore thin with basically everyone we played with after like 2 games. There are some really good games on that list. I would say that Agricola might not be for everyone as it is real easy for new players to have a really bad game lol.

KJ869

I had thought about Netrunner but there are so many exp packs and such that I had no idea where/when to jump in. I read in another post that they are changing cards altogether? So would I wait for that release? I dunno.
Theyre not changing all cards together. Netrunner now has system where it retires 2 cycles of expansions when new 2 have come out. The big change everybody is "exited" is release of new core set. Theyre basicly removing importnat cards from core and thus from playpool and adding some from the 2 retiring cycles of expansion datapacks. So you want to wait for the new core to come out and buy that.

Theres now point of jumping in now as so mutch of old core will be retired and you dont want to buy genesis or spincycle if you plan on playing tournament legal sets. Of course there might be good idea to look if somebody is retiring from the game and selling on the cheap as those sets wont be tournament legal anymore.

I have been passively buyin last 2 cycles and Im now jumpin back ( I have just stayd in local group orders but have not played single game on physical netrunner for year almost. ) Important part of netrunner is understanding that there are great decktools like netrunnerdb and you can import youre decks from there to jinteki.net to play online. I dont recomend starting there, but after 5-10 games IRL under youre belt going online might be good idea if you want to get more games faster. Feels wierd to go to local games with knowledge that 75% of the cards Im used to are gone and theres load of new cards to learn. You will face the same problem, one option is just listening podcasts and theyre analyses of the cards. Its also interesting way to "learn" how the meta evolved to the current state

KJ869

Wave 2 was supposed to ship in August I think as well and it never did.

They said they delay it to october. Theyre still having models approved so they definetly wont be hitting october. I dont understand why are they not communicating this delay at all. Somewhat I find funny that Mythic Battles seems to be all on track, and that game has expansion after expansion all coming out once..

Lyng

Clank is cool, but it wore thin with basically everyone we played with after like 2 games. There are some really good games on that list. I would say that Agricola might not be for everyone as it is real easy for new players to have a really bad game lol.

That is true, but if they are all new then it should even out shouldnt it?

Blizzard

Banned
That is true, but if they are all new then it should even out shouldnt it?
The thing about Agricola is that unlike most games, it's not obvious that you're going to get a MASSIVE negative point penalty at the end unless you're really paying attention to the score spreadsheet explanation. Even Feast for Odin by the same designer slaps -1 squares all over the place so you're aware what's going to happen.

In Agricola, you can finish your first game and then get like -15 points as your final score and just feel awful. Plus the theme feel feels dry as dirt to me, but some people still like it. A lot of people seem to prefer Great and Small, Caverna, or Feast for Odin.

Lyng

The thing about Agricola is that unlike most games, it's not obvious that you're going to get a MASSIVE negative point penalty at the end unless you're really paying attention to the score spreadsheet explanation. Even Feast for Odin by the same designer slaps -1 squares all over the place so you're aware what's going to happen.

In Agricola, you can finish your first game and then get like -15 points as your final score and just feel awful. Plus the theme feel feels dry as dirt to me, but some people still like it. A lot of people seem to prefer Great and Small, Caverna, or Feast for Odin.

Well honestly when teaching Gric Its allways best to explain scoring beforehand.

ParityBit

Theyre not changing all cards together. Netrunner now has system where it retires 2 cycles of expansions when new 2 have come out. The big change everybody is "exited" is release of new core set. Theyre basicly removing importnat cards from core and thus from playpool and adding some from the 2 retiring cycles of expansion datapacks. So you want to wait for the new core to come out and buy that.

Theres now point of jumping in now as so mutch of old core will be retired and you dont want to buy genesis or spincycle if you plan on playing tournament legal sets. Of course there might be good idea to look if somebody is retiring from the game and selling on the cheap as those sets wont be tournament legal anymore.

I have been passively buyin last 2 cycles and Im now jumpin back ( I have just stayd in local group orders but have not played single game on physical netrunner for year almost. ) Important part of netrunner is understanding that there are great decktools like netrunnerdb and you can import youre decks from there to jinteki.net to play online. I dont recomend starting there, but after 5-10 games IRL under youre belt going online might be good idea if you want to get more games faster. Feels wierd to go to local games with knowledge that 75% of the cards Im used to are gone and theres load of new cards to learn. You will face the same problem, one option is just listening podcasts and theyre analyses of the cards. Its also interesting way to "learn" how the meta evolved to the current state

Good to know! Any idea when that will be out? I can wait I guess.

Izayoi

Banned
I really appreciate everyone's feedback and guidance! Thank you!

7wonders is where it's at with everything you describe about your game group!
We're planning on playing this at a local Friday-night game event where you can check games out for a few hours.

I'm excited to see how it plays! Read lots of great things about it.

If spice road is too light, you can scratch castles of Mad king ludwig and probably clank aswell. Oh yeah and lords of vegas aswell.

You should probably go for Agricola or Blood Rage.
Thanks for the advice. I've heard Lord of Vegas is a good Monopoly replacement - is it too heavy for people who have only ever played stuff like that? I'm trying to expose my family to more intricate stuff because playing Monopoly is a fucking chore for me.

I really like the themes of Ludwig and Clank, but it seems they both wear pretty thin fairly quickly? That's a shame... I appreciate the warning, though.

We're all fairly smart (I like to think) and technically we've been playing together for years, but almost all of that time was spent on Catan previously. Is it too far of a jump from that?

One thing is, our group likes to learn games together. We almost always start playing a game while everyone is learning it. That's part of the fun for us, so I'm not too terribly worried about getting disheartened after losing a match or going negative.

The theme is agricultural, right? Catan is similar (though it has some additional intrigue for us with the barbarians, robbers, etc.). Theme is nice, but not the end-all-be-all for us. Though I will say that one of the huge draws of Scythe for our group was the incredible theme.

zeeaykay

I would absolutely endorse Castles of Mad King Ludwig. I don't think the game wears thin at all, every game you're never going to have the same castle twice, and the master builder mechanics where you're setting prices for the rooms always keeps things fresh and interesting.

Plus, I think the expansion is great. The main thing it adds is an ability to build a most, which nets you more points but restricts your building area. If you like the theme I wouldn't hesitate!

Lupercal

Banned
I would absolutely endorse Castles of Mad King Ludwig. I don't think the game wears thin at all, every game you're never going to have the same castle twice, and the master builder mechanics where you're setting prices for the rooms always keeps things fresh and interesting.

Plus, I think the expansion is great. The main thing it adds is an ability to build a most, which nets you more points but restricts your building area. If you like the theme I wouldn't hesitate!

Would you say the exp is a must?
Have the base game and while very fun my group isn't to fond of it.

Top Bottom