• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Locuza

So. What about the patch, that S-E announced like 1 week after release?
spongebob-fantasy.jpg

I hope the same doesn't happen to Bayonetta 1, like thx for your support, we got your issue reports and then ...

Momentary

Banned
A 1080 Ti gets you locked 60 fps
If I framerate unlock I get aprox 100-110 fps at 1440p. Everything maxed and no optimization to the global illumination.

The game shouldn't require that much, but yeah, that GI is expensive.

60FPS at 4K without tinkering with settings? I have a Titan Xp (2017) and it doesn't even allow for that kind of performance.

Arkanius

60FPS at 4K without tinkering with settings? I have a Titan Xp (2017) and it doesn't even allow for that kind of performance.

Not sure about 4K. I was saying that since at 1440p you get 100-110 you can get a locked 60FPS at that resolution. 4K should be very close to 60FPS if not locked.

But I'm trying to scale it linearly, and maybe GI is even more expensive at 4K.

Momentary

Banned
Out of interest, what did you have to tweak for locked 60?

Global Illumination. You can set it to low or turn it off to get high framerates. I usually stand around the resistance camp to adjust settings since its one of the most demanding areas in the game. You really need overpriced hardware to push this game.

I don't even run the game at 4K outside of taking screen shots. I usually run it at 1440p for high frame rates and around 3K resolution for 60FPS. I like using High GI settings in FAR.

Not sure about 4K. I was saying that since at 1440p you get 100-110 you can get a locked 60FPS at that resolution. 4K should be very close to 60FPS if not locked.

But I'm trying to scale it linearly, and maybe GI is even more expensive at 4K.

My bad man. I thought you were referring to the earlier question.

So by all the posts here I'm taking that the performance I observe is normal? I get locked 60fps with everything maxed and FAR installed at 1080p with 4x ingame AA. If I push it to 1440p without AA I get around 50fps and honestly I feel the game looks worse.

My System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz
Palit DUAL GTX 1070 at stock
16gb DDR3 RAM @ 2000mhz
Windows 7

I didn't mess with the FAR settings at all though yet.

tuxfool

Banned
So by all the posts here I'm taking that the performance I observe is normal? I get locked 60fps with everything maxed and FAR installed at 1080p with 4x ingame AA. If I push it to 1440p without AA I get around 50fps and honestly I feel the game looks worse.

My System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz
Palit DUAL GTX 1070 at stock
16gb DDR3 RAM @ 2000mhz
Windows 7

I didn't mess with the FAR settings at all though yet.

You should turn off the 4X MSAA, it interacts badly with the LOD system as it increases pop-in and causes issues with AO. You should install FAR and reduce the GI to medium levels, this should get you 60+ fps on 1440p.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm probably going to get a PS4 pro next week, does it perform more consistently on that in comparison to how my 980ti 3570k system would run it?

I don't have time to tinker these days, my spare time is precious.

I'm probably going to get a PS4 pro next week, does it perform more consistently on that in comparison to how my 980ti 3570k system would run it?

I don't have time to tinker these days, my spare time is precious.

Installing the mod to lower GI is very easy and will give you better performance than the Pro on that setup.

GHG

Gold Member
Installing the mod to lower GI is very easy and will give you better performance than the Pro on that setup.

Ok so I install the mod and then is it pre-configured or do I have to sort it out using the key bindings and a keyboard?

ezodagrom

How much visible difference is there between GI low and high?
Quality wise, the lowest I'd recommend is manually setting it to 48 on FAR.ini (48 being between medium/32 and high/64).
There's some noticeable downgrades when setting it to lower than that.

I guess it's probably better to settle for a slightly lower resolution instead.

Quality wise, the lowest I'd recommend is manually setting it to 48 on FAR.ini (48 being between medium/32 and high/64).
There's some noticeable downgrades when setting it to lower than that.

I guess it's probably better to settle for a slightly lower resolution instead.

The following thread on Steam forums has a few comparisons you might want to see.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512305404682724/?ctp=2

So you leave GI off in game, and edit it through the mod then?

I'm getting between 45-55 fps @ 1080p with a i7 3770k & gtx670 with FAR installed and some stuff turned off, was I expecting too much??

I just don't want to admit I need to upgrade :(

You should turn off the 4X MSAA, it interacts badly with the LOD system as it increases pop-in and causes issues with AO. You should install FAR and reduce the GI to medium levels, this should get you 60+ fps on 1440p.

Okay thanks. I tried this and it seems that FAR isn't properly for me. Setting options via the .ini seems to work as I can get the game running properly in borderless mode and all but I can't call the overlay with CTRL+SHIFT+Backspace, nothing happens when I press it :/

ezodagrom

Okay thanks. I tried this and it seems that FAR isn't properly for me. Setting options via the .ini seems to work as I can get the game running properly in borderless mode and all but I can't call the overlay with CTRL+SHIFT+Backspace, nothing happens when I press it :/
Likely some 3rd party software may be getting in the way?

Likely some 3rd party software may be getting in the way?

I thought so too so I disabled the Steam-overlay and fully disabled MSI Afterburner even though I blacklisted Nier already but nothing. I noticed FAR itself does seem to work in full atleast because I set the Global Illumination setting to High manually and can happily run it in 1440p 60fps now and it looks great! :) Any other tweaks I should make? I also already installed the Dualshock button-prompt mod mentioned in the OP.

I see posts about people enabling AA through Nvidia inspector, but there's no mention of a flag being used - I've tried it and didn't really see a difference, has anyone go this working? Also, is there any HBAO+ option?

How do I get this game to cooperate with Steam BPM? The issue is with display switching. When I turn on BPM, it changes to my TV and most games comply......except this one lol. I launch Nier in BPM, it opens on my monitor. I have to manually change it to the display I'm using in the games settings and it is really annoying now lol.

KScorp

Game keeps getting the white screen crash, which is apparently due to the drivers crashing. Running on a 780ti, and the only fixes I see are to run the game on very low settings.

I think I'll just wait until I get a better card... but man I didn't expect this game to be so broken.

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
My setup is i5 2500K and 980, 8GB RAM. I got the game couple of days ago, and have been playing it with FAR and Borderless Gaming. Up until 20 hours of gameplay, everything runs perfect. I got 60fps, no stutter, no crash, everything was as smooth as 2B's asset.

Then, the fps just drops into 48fps. Everywhere. My last save is in
desert housing complex
, I thought it was due to the location, but when I transport back to resistance camp, the problem still exist.

I tried verifying the game, reinstalling FAR, no dice. Anyone else have this kind of problem? Do you have solutions into this particular problem?

Pooya

FAR makes my game run worse. In some late parts of the game, it literally becomes slideshow with FAR and any setting. Running without it, the game runs fine. Before these game ending sections FAR was fine, I guess they need to test it some more.

Durante

From my testing in a very large number of areas of the game, the "high" setting never seems to have any artifacts compared to the default. So even if you have no performance issues I'd put it at that.

I'm getting between 45-55 fps @ 1080p with a i7 3770k & gtx670 with FAR installed and some stuff turned off, was I expecting too much??
Well, a 670 is quite a bit slower than a PS4 Pro, and that runs the game at 1080p with a few drops, so you probably need an upgrade ;)

Izuna

Banned
So soon I'll get to try out performance for this. Will be a 6700HQ and mobile 1070. Did we ever get a higher framerate patch for this?

Also, is Gsync something I want to just enable for all games?

So soon I'll get to try out performance for this. Will be a 6700HQ and mobile 1070. Did we ever get a higher framerate patch for this?

Also, is Gsync something I want to just enable for all games?

We never got any patch. And yes, you should try to keep GSync on whenever you can.

I mean the mods or whatever. Last I read Durante fixed some bloom resolution thing?

Cool about Gsync, that makes everything simpler.

The FAR mod, yes. But it will only helps increasing fps if you lower the Global Illumination settings. Durante fixed the bloom resolution not rendering at native res. Setting that to native res will make the game look nicer but decrease fps. Not sure by how much.

Izuna

Banned
The FAR mod, yes. But it will only helps increasing fps if you lower the Global Illumination settings. Durante fixed the bloom resolution not rendering at native res. Setting that to native res will make the game look nicer but decrease fps. Not sure by how much.

Ah, so nothing gives us higher than 60fps, oh well.

Can't wait

jett

D-Member

Increasing bloom and AO to native res affected the performance on my PC noticeably. The comment in FAR that the impact is negligible is kinda bullshit. I had that turned up through half of my playthrough and made me think the port was just a stuttering mess. At default it holds 60fps the vast majority of the time on my 280X. Unless you have a high-end card I suggest keeping that stuff on default, GI on low and shadows on medium.

DylanEno

I apologize as I'm sure this is been brought up a ton of times already, but the cutscenes - are they supposed to be all stuttery at random intervals? My 980 runs the game fine but when it comes to cutscenes it says it's locked to 30 fps but it very clearly lags and just looks horrible in places.

tuxfool

Banned
I apologize as I'm sure this is been brought up a ton of times already, but the cutscenes - are they supposed to be all stuttery at random intervals? My 980 runs the game fine but when it comes to cutscenes it says it's locked to 30 fps but it very clearly lags and just looks horrible in places.

Yeah it happens to everybody.

Install FAR, that will fix the cutscene stuttering.

Durante

Increasing bloom and AO to native res affected the performance on my PC noticeably.
I can't believe that this is what happened.

Something else might have happened somewhere, and that might well have affected your performance (like the FAR frame limiter, which seems to not play well with AMD setups in general).

But unless you are playing at 5k or something setting (especially) the bloom resolution and also the AO resolution to native won't have much of an effect. Both default to 800x450, and if you play at 1080p native will be 960x540 -- it just looks much better due to clean scaling. On a standard frame the bloom processing is less than 0.5 ms in total, and that can only increase by 40% at most, so you end up with a 0.2 ms increase at worst in frametime for the native resolution bloom.

I don't think there's any setup where that's not worth it, given the rather massive difference in the resulting quality. AO is more debatable, but still not expensive.

jett

D-Member
What can I tell you, it stuttered a lot in the open world with that stuff turned on. Might've been just a couple of frames that made the difference between reaching 60fps and not.

I can't believe that this is what happened.

Something else might have happened somewhere, and that might well have affected your performance (like the FAR frame limiter, which seems to not play well with AMD setups in general).

But unless you are playing at 5k or something setting (especially) the bloom resolution and also the AO resolution to native won't have much of an effect. Both default to 800x450, and if you play at 1080p native will be 960x540 -- it just looks much better due to clean scaling. On a standard frame the bloom processing is less than 0.5 ms in total, and that can only increase by 40% at most, so you end up with a 0.2 ms increase at worst in frametime for the native resolution bloom.

I don't think there's any setup where that's not worth it, given the rather massive difference in the resulting quality. AO is more debatable, but still not expensive.

That is a rather massive difference alright o.o So if I get that right having bloom and AO set to -1 is native-resolution right?

Code:
[FAR.Lighting]
GlobalIlluminationWorkgroups=64
BloomWidth=-1
AOWidth=-1
AOHeight=-1
DisableBloom=false
DisableAO=false

[FAR.FrameRate]
UseBusyWait=true
UncapFPS=false

[FAR.Compatibility]
WarnedAboutRTSS=true
NoD3D11Interop=true

[FAR.OSD]
ShowDisclaimer=false

[FAR.Temporary]
FixMotionBlur=true
BloomSkipLevels=0

[FAR.System]
AcceptedLicense=true

For whatever reason I can't call the FAR OSD so I have to edit everything manually.

That is a rather massive difference alright o.o So if I get that right having bloom and AO set to -1 is native-resolution right?

Code:
[FAR.Lighting]
GlobalIlluminationWorkgroups=64
BloomWidth=-1
AOWidth=-1
AOHeight=-1
DisableBloom=false
DisableAO=false

[FAR.FrameRate]
UseBusyWait=true
UncapFPS=false

[FAR.Compatibility]
WarnedAboutRTSS=true
NoD3D11Interop=true

[FAR.OSD]
ShowDisclaimer=false

[FAR.Temporary]
FixMotionBlur=true
BloomSkipLevels=0

[FAR.System]
AcceptedLicense=true

For whatever reason I can't call the FAR OSD so I have to edit everything manually.

Do you have RTSS running together? It interferes with FAR.

Top Bottom