• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman Admits Testimony In The Murder of Emmet Till Was Made Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CazTGG

Roughly six decades after the acquittal of two white men who killed Emmett Till, a new revelation has come out of the case. Specifically, the testimony given by Carolyn Bryant was made up:
In a new book, The Blood of Emmett Till (Simon & Schuster), Timothy Tyson, a Duke University senior research scholar, reveals that Carolyn—in 2007, at age 72—confessed that she had fabricated the most sensational part of her testimony. “That part’s not true,” she told Tyson, about her claim that Till had made verbal and physical advances on her. As for the rest of what happened that evening in the country store, she said she couldn’t remember. (Carolyn is now 82, and her current whereabouts have been kept secret by her family.)

The article has more details about the events that take place prior to the trial and is well worth a read: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017...e-woman-at-the-center-of-the-emmett-till-case

Apathy

living that many years, i hope she felt guilt from her lies. innocent boy gets lynched cause of a fucking lie

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"Yeah, I'm going straight to hell for this one. Better fess up before I die."

akira28

Well no shit, he was a black kid in the south. No way he would have been that ballsysuicidal.

as the descendant of someone who had to leave for the North in the middle of the night because of a rumor, they have never ever played when it came to white women and the Negro problem down there.

Meowster

It's such a horrifying story and I can't imagine how much courage and strength Mamie Till had to show the world the injustice her son faced. Even more saddening that cases like that still go on to this day as racism lives on here in the USA. I think it was pretty obvious that whole trial was a sham. How can she live with herself?

Slayven

The people that were born that year are not even retirement age.

I don't feel sympathy for her, but she was probably forced to say it or she would have caught hell herself.

Amazing you can kill a black person just because, amazing how time has changed

geestack

living that many years, i hope she felt guilt from her lies.

she didn't:

xNDjDaa.png

I'm guessing she can't be punished for this?

Seems like she is only going to profit from book sells, that is, if anyone even buys it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Regret that she could've cashed out on this sooner, maybe.

She could've got some quality interviews in, some books, and a Lifetime movie...

Enzom21

You should probably add to the OP that she died in 2014.

You could argue she didn't knew what would happen because of her lie, but she probably knew her husband as well as anyone.

Why would anyone argue this?
You know you don't have to try and excuse everything shitty thing where race is a factor.

AGoodODST

What a wicked, dispicable person. She would have known full well the consequences of her lie.

Wasn't there a thread in GAF recently about his memorial being shot up?

Akainu

You should probably add to the OP that she died in 2014.

You could argue she didn't knew what would happen because of her lie, but she probably knew her husband as well as anyone.

Yeah it's not like black people were being killed for nothing back then who knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom