• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

JuanGGZ

Banned
Why is that? It will include Firefight-like elements.

We have not a lot of information about Spartan Ops, but without the idea to choose our difficulty (Easy,...,Legendary) with maybe some skulls, I'm not sure we will be able to personalize our Spartan Ops experience as much as the Firefight in Halo: Reach.

I mean, choose our foes, set some bonus waves, etc... Firefight is more an arcade game, replayable like we want. Add custom challenge to this mode, and it's perfect, like everyone should think now when they made challenge on Halo Waypoint and play in MM FF to get credits and recommendations.

NullPointer said that much better than me, and I totaly agree with him. I'm sure it will be damn cool to get a new campaign, on the other side with the main campaign of Halo 4. But will those mission be as playable and as long as an infinite wave on Installation 04 or Overlook ?

Conor 419

Banned
Will we be able to name our loadouts in Halo 4?

The only time I've ever wanted a custom game browser in a Halo game was in Reach, and that's only because I just want to play BOOM! Ball (because it's the best gametype ever and I don't like Reach's base gameplay).

What I don't get, is how can 343i's core rhetoric be about making Halo 4 being able to cater to a plethora of varied audiences when they feel they can go on and afford to miss out a feature which can single handedly allow them to do so more than any other feature out there.

In Halo, we have

- MLG Players
- Forgers
- Casual Players
- Clan Formers
- Mini Game Lovers

And so many more audiences, so surely 343i see the advantage of a system which allows every player to play what they want, when they want.

- Clans will be able to both form and recruit more easily as they can make games dedicated to doing so. The competitive scene will become more popular - Game quality will increase.
- Communities will be able to regulate themselves. The community will get stronger as well managed servers will become popular and in turn start getting regular visitors who become friends and start forming clans, which improves the competitive scene - Game quality will increase.
- Betrayers, trash talkers and general bad players will become exiled from good servers and the larger community, forcing them to comply with basic human decency if they want to play a good game. Halo will become more accessible to the wider audience they are supposedly trying to encourage -Game quality will increase.
- Forgers will be able to share their maps more easily. Great custom maps will have a better chance of reaching the mass audience, the creative scene will become much larger - Game quality will increase.
- People will be able to play what they want, when they want. Whether it's Fat Kid, Griffball or Hockey. I miss being able to spend 24 hours in a repeating CTF game. If everyone could do this, there will be less quitting, games will be more stable - Game quality will increase.
- Voice chat will re-emerge as players will feel more comfortable in 'good' servers. Teamwork will naturally return to the standard Halo game -Game quality will increase.

There is no counter argument, there is no defence. Custom Game Browsing is an absolute necessity to the future of this IP.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I do not understand the tears over no dedis. Reach has great netcode and I very rarely play a game with any lag. And when I do, it's usually with some dude from Mexico or somewhere in Europe. It doesn't make that much of a difference really.

The things I really don't get that this thread complains about is dedis and 60fps. Neither thing has ever been even slightly hinted at, so the disappointment when it's not happening doesn't make sense.
I do not understand the accepting of P2P. Reach has poor netcode and I often play games with lag. Dare I have the nerve to go in solo I usually get paired with some dude from Mexico or somewhere in Europe. It makes a ton of difference really.

The things I really don't get that this thread is okay with is dedi's(lack thereof). Just because they have never been hinted at does not mean we cannot be disappointed that the flagship franchise of the system does not support nor will have dedicated servers.

Trey

Zeouterlimits mentioned something about the complete lack of explanation from 343i after each controversial info drop, and I gotta agree completely. It's very frustrating seeing them announce failed features from the past one after another and not show the least bit of respect for the passionate fans by at least elaborating a bit more on why they think they will suddenly work this time, going even as far as mocking their reaction.

I wouldn't worry.

But seriously, it is odd, even I will admit.

I do not understand the accepting of P2P.

Always worked fine for me. The largest hassle I've ever had in matchmaking is the host leaving or me getting put up against a team when I'm with randoms. And the second is partly my fault.

The cover for Karin Travis'' new Halo book was just announced: http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headline...the-“Kilo-Five-Trilogy”-by-Karen-Traviss.aspx

thursdaywar.jpg

New York, NY – April 25, 2012 - Tor Books, an imprint of Tom Doherty Associates, LLC—the largest publisher of science fiction in the world—is excited to reveal the title and release date for the second novel in the “Kilo-Five Trilogy” written by bestselling novelist and renowned game writer Karen Traviss. HALO: THE THURSDAY WAR will release in hardcover alongside a simultaneous audio edition on October 2, 2012.

Traviss, whose first foray into the Halo Universe came with the short story “Human Weakness” in Fall 2009’s New York Times bestselling “Halo: Evolutions” anthology, launched her new trilogy last fall with the acclaimed bestseller Halo: Glasslands. A #1 New York Times bestselling author who has penned novels in the Star Wars and Gears of War franchises (she most recently served as lead game writer for Gears of War 3), as well as her own critically acclaimed science fiction series, The Wess’har Wars, Traviss has an incredible gift for writing believable and compelling military science fiction.

“From the very first page, The Thursday War propels you into a universe on the brink of chaos,” says Frank O’Connor, Franchise Development Director, 343 Industries. “It will immerse you immediately and enthrallingly into the events and circumstances that will come to define the state of the Halo universe in Halo 4. I can’t wait for fans and newcomers alike to experience the sequel to Glasslands.”

HALO: THE THURSDAY WAR picks up immediately where Halo: Glasslands left off, with forces on Earth and among the Covenant threatening a peace that is precarious at best. With a splinter group among the Sangheili pushing for war, some human colonies rebel against earth authority; and as ONI policy continues to shift with the volatile situation in space, the discovery of a trove of Forerunner technology on Onyx provokes leaders on Earth to seek uses for it in the conflict. For the fight is far from over…

"I wanted to focus on what it feels like to operate in a fragile ceasefire that’s turning into a mass of small, unpredictable wars where the enemy is much harder to spot and define,” says author Karen Traviss. “It's not about big set piece space battles, superheroes, and hardware; this is a messy conflict seen at close quarters by real people with their own problems, whether those people are human, alien, or artificial intelligences."

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My counter argument for server lists is that people are dicks and I don't trust them to run a good server. Also, it's much easier to hop in a party with friends, go into the playlist and just let the game do the work.

I do not understand the tears over no dedis. Reach has great netcode and I very rarely play a game with any lag. And when I do, it's usually with some dude from Mexico or somewhere in Europe. It doesn't make that much of a difference really.

The things I really don't get that this thread complains about is dedis and 60fps. Neither thing has ever been even slightly hinted at, so the disappointment when it's not happening doesn't make sense.
I think the 60fps angle has its limits based in hardware and with what kind of fidelity they want to provide, but on the dedicated server front I personally wanted it and am disappointed that they're still not included. Not a deal breaker by any means, but it does get kind of disheartening to read "You should not expect it! This 15 year old online method that was only good back then because there was nothing better should be good enough for your Xbox Live subscription!" I mean, I don't need to read up defenses on why it's difficult to implement and yadda yadda yadda, I understand what it requires, that's why I'm not jumping to apply a résumé to become a 343i network engineer. I'm just saying I came from PC games, and I've never looked down on console games as an inferior experience, but I do see PC features as something that these games should strive for. When I see people saying that what we have is "good enough" and there's this sense that people really wanting dedicated servers are somehow overextending their expectations, I can't help but feel like I've stepped into some alternate universe.

I just know I'll be dealing with fairly regular black screening and related host migration oddities yet again. Though it's not like this is a step down from what came before it, so it's not like I'm not used to it. I will say that I'm happy there's drop-in drop-out now at least. That is a thing in H4 right? I kind of forget in all the craziness happening between announcements and discussions.

Conor 419

Banned
My counter argument for server lists is that people are dicks and I don't trust them to run a good server. Also, it's much easier to hop in a party with friends, go into the playlist and just let the game do the work.

I'd say that's an exaggeration. CSS and TF2 being the prime example of how they can and do work.

Louis Wu

I just copied the link from Waypoint, that's how I'd have done it back on BNET. Is there a new method for linking game history on Waypoint?
If you look at the link you posted, it doesn't include a gamertag. You have to insert one yourself. (You can do a copy and paste if you want, but getting to a place where it works is harder than just taking your original post, and putting in the gamertag yourself.)

Here's where it goes:

Look for

/HaloReach/GameHistory#!/

Replace with

/HaloReach/GameHistory?gamertag=yourgamertaghere#!/

Post here, and we'll be able to see it. (I'd do it for you, but I don't know your gamertag, it's not listed in your NeoGAF profile, and you're not on the HaloGAF gamertag page.)

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

I mean it would be better to find MLG customs in theory.

But just look at H2 XBC in its heyday, it was like 95% lockout servers with sword secondary.

Trey

Is that a fucking Cyclops spartan? What the hell?

We have not a lot of information about Spartan Ops, but without the idea to choose our difficulty (Easy,...,Legendary) with maybe some skulls, I'm not sure we will be able to personalize our Spartan Ops experience as much as the Firefight in Halo: Reach.

I mean, choose our foes, set some bonus waves, etc... Firefight is more an arcade game, replayable like we want. Add custom challenge to this mode, and it's perfect, like everyone should think now when they made challenge on Halo Waypoint and play in MM FF to get credits and recommendations.

NullPointer said that much better than me, and I totaly agree with him. I'm sure it will be damn cool to get a new campaign, on the other side with the main campaign of Halo 4. But will those mission be as playable and as long as an infinite wave on Installation 04 or Overlook ?

Maybe even moreso. Sounds way more fleshed out than Firefight ever did. A lot of thought is going into Spops.

There is no counter argument, there is no defence. Custom Game Browsing is an absolute necessity to the future of this IP.

CGB would destroy any meaning of inherent ranking if it was the sole system. Which means it's perfect for the social element, and therefore would work for Social playlist.

Still leaves the competitive element unadressed, unless you are assuming the CGB would run alongside standard matchmaking.

Arnie

Pretty much. Matchmaking gets me into a game faster than browsing, and with people much closer to my own skill. That's pretty much all I want, I'm not interested in playing a 24 hour game of Halo Golf on someone's half finished Forge variant.

That Spartan on the cover of Thursday War looks disturbingly like a Spartan 3. I've read Onyx but not Glasslands, so I don't know if that makes sense. I'll try and burn through Glasslands over the summer.

Zeouterlimits mentioned something about the complete lack of explanation from 343i after each controversial info drop, and I gotta agree completely. It's very frustrating seeing them announce failed features from the past one after another and not show the least bit of respect for the passionate fans by at least elaborating a bit more on why they think they will suddenly work this time, going even as far as mocking their reaction.
You mean like that podcast we never got talking about the 'controversial' multiplayer decisions like weapon drops? Wait...

I wouldn't go that far at all. Speaking for me personally, I've only ever wanted a custom game browser because I only want to play one thing over and over again. It would take away populations from matchmaking, and I don't trust custom game browser because it relies heavily on an honor system (and I don't trust the population).

I just don't see it as necessary from my experience.
Looks great!

Myyke

Neo Member

Surely banter with the developers (especially on NeoGAF of all places) should be a two way street.

Karl2177

That looks cool as tits.
This and the population management issue. You aren't going to be able to sustain an infinite number of custom servers, you aren't going to be able to control how many people are going into the custom Living Dead servers, and you aren't going to be able to influence people over to regular MM(lowering the population and thusly lowering the chances of finding quality opponents). It's the not the correct solution for the lack of MM diversity.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Surely banter with the developers (especially on NeoGAF of all places) should be a two way street.

Why would it be? It's their job, not ours. They aren't obligated to tell us shit. Every once in a while they throw us a bone to keep us on the hook, that's what they do.

Conor 419

Banned
PC crowd is way different. They were born into that stuff. They don't want matchmaking. Console audience is a different animal.

That is absolutely not an excuse.

I genuinely feel sorry for the Halo fans who don't know how much better CGB would really make the game. As a result they'll never ever be able to play Halo at its full potential and I find that pretty tragic. It's a sad day for the IP.

@Trey

Ranked - Matchmkaing
Social - Custom Game Browsing

Pretty much. Matchmaking gets me into a game faster than browsing, and with people much closer to my own skill. That's pretty much all I want, I'm not interested in playing a 24 hour game of Halo Golf on someone's half finished Forge variant.
I know with my own TF2 experiences that I can get into a well populated server of a gametype and map that I will enjoy at about the time it takes matchmaking to finish up finding all 8 people for a standard game. By the time a bad map gets voted and at least one person on one of the teams dashboards before the game loads, I'm already in a match having a blast.

kylej

Banned
Which kinda sucks, but kylej and co continually shit on challenges anyway and point out how stupid they are so...

I have 2 cents on challenges too... Reach team was largely a new team. Design decisions aside, they did a pretty stellar job. I imagine creating these new features in a system that is new to them was no easy task.

A stellar job? Putting aside framerate, map quality, anything like that. Put aside all the subjective pros and cons of Reach. What I absolutely cannot comprehend is how Forge and Theater went from their Halo 3 iterations, to their Reach iterations, after 3 years of Microsoft funded, renting-out-a-movie-theater-sized-office-space dev work. Mind boggling. Where did that time go? Really, stripped features from Theater? Really, no selectable color palette in Forge? Really, a 4 hour long campaign? Really, 9 maps? Halo 4 continues to underwhelm, because 343 knows they can get away with it. Hoping for feature parity with other releases now means you have "batshit" expectations, or because you don't know every iota about game development, you can't hope for more.

At least HaloGAF continues to amaze in a way Halo 4 never will.

Arnie

If you look at the link you posted, it doesn't include a gamertag. You have to insert one yourself. (You can do a copy and paste if you want, but getting to a place where it works is harder than just taking your original post, and putting in the gamertag yourself.)

Here's where it goes:

Look for

/HaloReach/GameHistory#!/

Replace with

/HaloReach/GameHistory?gamertag=yourgamertaghere#!/

Post here, and we'll be able to see it. (I'd do it for you, but I don't know your gamertag, it's not listed in your NeoGAF profile, and you're not on the HaloGAF gamertag page.)
Thanks for the explanation Wu.

I tried it and it said my gamertag was not valid, I didn't know how to show a space between the two parts of my gamertag. It's baffling. In all honesty though that system is so convoluted that I probably won't bother with it anyway, I'll just post a print screen in the future. I hope 343 can get that smoothed out before November.

I know with my own TF2 experiences that I can get into a well populated server of a gametype and map that I will enjoy at about the time it takes matchmaking to finish up finding all 8 people for a standard game. By the time a bad map gets voted and at least one person on one of the teams dashboards before the game loads, I'm already in a match having a blast.
Personally the ability to create a game based around ability is much more important to me than half a minute or having to play a map that's not particularly my favourite. I imagine that's why I don't see the issue as that big of a deal; primarily because were it an option I simply wouldn't use it.

I'll reiterate that, in my opinion, having a visual skill based ranking system is far more important to overall longevity and community than custom browsing or dedicated servers. Anecdotally I know 10 real life people who abandoned Reach because of this.

zlatko

Banned
My reasoning for wanting dedi's in H4, or any shooter from here on out, is because Gears of War 3 spoiled me. When you play on dedi's in that game it's soooooooo smoooooooth.

Reach has a 4 hour campaign now? Man am I slow.

And lets forget about the rebuilt engine, assets, facial tech, AI, networking and oh, everything else they put all those man hours into. We'll just assume that stuff is automatic.

As a disclaimer: I'd love dedicated servers if they could get them right, as I'd like a custom match browser even if I doubt I'd ever use it. But software development is about compromise and everything takes a great deal more time and effort than it appears. For all we know these features are being discussed in relation to the next Xbox, but considering Microsoft's history, I kind of doubt that too.

Myyke

Neo Member
Why would it be? It's their job, not ours. They aren't obligated to tell us shit. Every once in a while they throw us a bone to keep us on the hook, that's what they do.

I'm not saying that the developers should or should not be telling us anything, I am saying that people who are all too willing to rip-into features they don't like should be able to deal with a tounge-in-cheek response from the devs. Two way street.

heckfu

Banned

I genuinely feel sorry for the Halo fans who don't know how much better CGB would really make the game. As a result they'll never ever be able to play Halo at its full potential and I find that pretty tragic. It's a sad day for the IP.

@Trey

Ranked - Matchmkaing

I'm glad you genuinely feel sorry for me. Feels good to know someone cares.

Louis Wu

Thanks for the explanation Wu.

I tried it and it said my gamertag was not valid, I didn't know how to show a space between the two parts of my gamertag. It's baffling. In all honesty though that system is so convoluted that I probably won't bother with it anyway, I'll just post a print screen in the future. I hope 343 can get that smoothed out before November.
I STILL don't know your damn gamertag. :) (Again, if you just tell me what it is, I'll provide a link. Yes, I know it should be easier.)

Spaces are represented with %20

senador

Banned
Plywood, do you really have that many bad rounds? The amount of bad rounds I've had due to lag and foreigners are so few I can remember most. Maybe it's the time you play? Maybe you are. Ore perceptible to that? More skilled so it effects you more? I hardly ever even notice lag in Reach. Your stats are the highest I've seen though so it must not cause you too much issue. ;)

I'm not doubting you, trying to understand your view better.

Conor 419

Banned

That Spartan on the cover of Thursday War looks disturbingly like a Spartan 3. I've read Onyx but not Glasslands, so I don't know if that makes sense. I'll try and burn through Glasslands over the summer.

I'm sorry, but come on.This is clearly untrue and is borderline FOX news sensationalism, Custom Game Browsing is unequivocally faster and superior to matchmaking.

Tawpgun

Read the OXM Halo 4 issue.

Nothing new.

I'm sorry, but come on. This is clearly untrue and is borderline FOX news sensationalism, Custom Game Browsing is unequivocally faster and superior to matchmaking.

I'm gonna stop you right there.

Custom Server browsing is good if its seperate, but I would NOT want Halo online to be solely run by it. Matchmaking offers a fair and CONSISTENT experience, along with trueskill matching (that works, hopefully) No Halo fan wants solely Server-Based online.

What we want is a custom server browser for custom games.

CyReN

My reasoning for wanting dedi's in H4, or any shooter from here on out, is because Gears of War 3 spoiled me. When you play on dedi's in that game it's soooooooo smoooooooth.

Love Gears 3, but is it really a selling point? No casuals have any idea what it is or care. Along with that Gears isn't doing hot on the XBL charts (at least) with a lot of content flowing out and quick fixes to gameplay.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

@Trey

Ranked - Matchmkaing

It's not an excuse it's the truth.

Also, you're really overstating how important server lists are. "tragic" "sad day for the IP" come on bro. Halo with matchmaking only has flourished since 2004. Sure, server browsers would be nice in addition to matchmaking so I could warm up with MLG FFA or something. That would be cool. Matchmaking is just a much better online experience on consoles.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm not saying that the developers should or should not be telling us anything, I am saying that people who are all too willing to rip-into features they don't like should be able to deal with a tounge-in-cheek response from the devs. Two way street.

Ah, my mistake. Yep, I agree.

I'm sorry, but come on. This is clearly untrue and is borderline FOX news sensationalism, Custom Game Browsing is unequivocally faster and superior to matchmaking.

You're delusional and this is getting old.

And yet it's not. You still get bullshitted and often. The only thing dedis do is put everyone on an equal field more or less. No one is host, but the person closer to the server still has advantage.

Arnie

I STILL don't know your damn gamertag. :) (Again, if you just tell me what it is, I'll provide a link. Yes, I know it should be easier.)

Spaces are represented with %20

arnie lfc

:)

I removed it from my profile around the time I jibbed my way into the Gears of War 3 Beta through the USB trick. I didn't want Alienshogun to report me to the Epic police and have my Gamertag nuked.

Tawpgun

What did they write about?

Nothing we don't already know. Just repeating what everyone else has said.

I'm gonna stop you right there.

Custom Server browsing is good if its seperate, but I would NOT want Halo online to be solely run by it. Matchmaking offers a fair and CONSISTENT experience, along with trueskill matching (that works, hopefully) No Halo fan wants solely Server-Based online. It's a lot harder to join in with a party, especially a big one. You're just stuck in the server lobby trying to coordinate which server to join. And you aren't guaranteed the server will be good.

What we want is a custom server browser for custom games.

Conor 419

Banned
It's not an excuse it's the truth.

Also, you're really overstating how important server lists are. "tragic" "sad day for the IP" come on bro. Halo with matchmaking only has flourished since 2004. Sure, server browsers would be nice in addition to matchmaking so I could warm up with MLG FFA or something. That would be cool. Matchmaking is just a much better online experience on consoles.

I guess I'm just the old guard, I can't adapt to the changing world. I've had my day. But to be fair, I feel like it's tragic.

Voice chat is dead
Teamwork is dead
Clans are dead
Being able to play what you want for however long you want is dead.

It just feels so sad that what I loved so much about Halo is gone and never coming back. I don't like the idea of sitting in quiet BTB games forever, just because nobody wants to talk in a matchmaking environment. Also, why do people assume that because I god forbid have strong opinions, that I must be automatically trolling?

heckfu

Banned
I was just a baby lurker when Reach was coming out so I don't remember but what was the atmosphere and hype surrounding that game like in comparison to Reach?

Tawpgun

I guess I'm just the old guard, I can't adapt to the changing world. I've had my day. But to be fair, I feel like it's tragic.

Voice chat is dead
Teamwork is dead
Clans are dead
Being able to play what you want for however long you want is dead.

It just feels so sad that what I loved so much about Halo is gone and never coming back. I don't like the idea of sitting in quiet BTB games forever, just because nobody wants to talk in a matchmaking environment.

Friends bro. Friends.

But I'll side with you on no gamechat. I miss that a lot.

feel

You mean like that podcast we never got talking about the 'controversial' multiplayer decisions like weapon drops? Wait...
That podcast didn't truly elaborate on armor abilities, perks, they didn't go back to it and added explanation for bloom.

Right after "The ________ gameplay feature that was introduced in Reach is back!" is not the right time for jokes lol

Conor 419

Banned
Friends bro. Friends.

But I'll side with you on no gamechat. I miss that a lot.

My friends don't play Halo any more, back on Halo PC I set up a clan, met loads of new people and I'd play Halo with them instead, it was awesome.

Sorry if I've been 'trolling', but take my word for it when I say I have very strong views on this, I have been supporting that xbox.com thread for an entire year after all.

Arnie

And I'll state that I used to play CSS all day every day half a decade ago. I know the benefits of custom game browsing, I just don't think I'd care for it in my Halo. But that's just me.

Some of my best XBL friends came from randomly meeting them in matchmaking games, back when people actually talked.

Now it's all party chat and silence, good luck communicating if you go in alone because your team are in their closed little group.

Louis Wu

arnie lfc

:)

I removed it from my profile around the time I jibbed my way into the Gears of War 3 Beta through the USB trick. I didn't want Alienshogun to report me to the Epic police and have my Gamertag nuked.
Heh.
Game link should be here. However, that link doesn't actually work - and looking through your game history, it suggests that it WOULD exist sometime between 4/26 and 4/29, but it's not on the full list. Weird.

The only recent game (today, in fact) that you went really negative in was this one.

Top Bottom