• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC download is currently $10 on Origin, Premium = $30

rbanke

I've been sick of playing Blops2 (sick of the connection bs actually) with my buddy and was suggesting to him we try out BF3 on pc, but then I read on some other thread that coming to the pc version of BF3 as a newbie would be a real bad idea because of various reasons. Any counter to that?

RoKKeR

I've been sick of playing Blops2 (sick of the connection bs actually) with my buddy and was suggesting to him we try out BF3 on pc, but then I read on some other thread that coming to the pc version of BF3 as a newbie would be a real bad idea because of various reasons. Any counter to that?

Um, yes? That's a ridiculous argument. BF is a very accessible shooter. That's not to say it's CoD easy, but if you are familiar with FPS games you can get by just fine in BF. I think a line DICE uses a lot is "easy to pick up, difficult to master", which I think is true in many cases when it comes to Battlefield.

Definitely pick up BF3. Best multiplayer FPS on the market right now.

rbanke

Um, yes? That's a ridiculous argument. BF is a very accessible shooter. That's not to say it's CoD easy, but if you are familiar with FPS games you can get by just fine in BF. I think a line DICE uses a lot is "easy to pick up, difficult to master", which I think is true in many cases when it comes to Battlefield.

Definitely pick up BF3. Best multiplayer FPS on the market right now.

Good deal. I had it for on release on console but no one to play mp with. Time to convince my buddy to pick it up lol

DTKT

Well, it has pretty a pretty bad netcode and hit detection. It's not as frustrating as Blops 2, but it's definitely there. You will get shot around corners, you will see a lot of body hits without any hit markers.

Also, the stock maps are pretty bad. You would need the Premium edition for some good stuff.

So it's still 40 euros if you want some conquest maps?

I paid 18 at launch and 10 for the conquest map dlc and I still feel like I paid too much.

1942 and even bf 2 are still far better games.

There's a bit of a learning curve since the flow and pacing of gameplay in BF3 is a lot different than COD, but you'll adjust.

I don't know if it's an influx of new players, but matches this past week have been horrible. Every round is a blowout, which is no fun no matter what side you're on.

legacyzero

Banned
GAF.

Trust me.

Do it.

Even at $30, all that content has already more than paid for itself, and it's not all out yet. Amazing game, and a great deal.

I got Bad Company 2 a few years after its release for $5 and the Vietnam expansion for $5. I'll wait for a couple years to get the Premium game for $10.

naib

So, if I already have the base game premium is worth $29?

I'm also a little confused about what we're getting.

RoKKeR

I too am a little confused about what we're getting.
You're getting 4 great expansion packs, 5 if you don't have Karkand. Close Quarters, Armored Kill, Aftermath, and End Game. (which releases in a few weeks) That's 16 maps in total, new weapons, new vehicles, new game modes, new assignments etc., and some of the best maps in the game.

BF Premium is the only season pass I haven't been completely burned on. It's a great deal that provides a ton of great content. If you like BF3, it's definitely worth having.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I'm also a little confused about what we're getting.

All 4 expansions including the impending End Game expansion with new modes and 4 maps plus new vehicles. Separately, they all cost 60USD. I haven't played one bad expansion map. Most fun I've had in a shooter in a long time.

naib

Okay. It's been a long time since I've played. And I don't have karkland.

Whelp. Reinstalling Origin.

Thanks y'all.

valeo

If this was on Steam i'd get it in a second. CBF dealing with Origin at the moment, though. Maybe later.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Does Origin have any sort of backup utility like Steam does? 20GB would be a pain to redownload in the future if I ever had to.

I had my eye on BF3 for quite some time when it was new, but these days I'm not so sure. Speaking purely as someone who plays large scale FPS casually (a few times a month) is there a draw that would make me buy & play BF3 versus Planetside2?

Mithos

Does Origin have any sort of backup utility like Steam does? 20GB would be a pain to redownload in the future if I ever had to.

There is an option to keep downloaded installation-files.

Code:
Origin -> Application Settings -> General Tab
Check: Keep game installers after games have been installed

Then there is an option below that, where you can pick location of those kept files.

Wait is BF3 AND Premium $30 total? If so, my GF has actually been looking at this and this would probably be a good point to get it for her haha.

vidcons

Banned
BFBC2 is really good and there are a lot of full servers running right now. Posting from Steam.

Y'all get this and play Conquest because Rush blows.

Zeth

Glad this isn't a 24hr deal. I'll pick up Premium at some point this week, and hope I'm not super terrible at MP. Premium includes all released DLC and access to the packs that release in the future?

Lots of positive comments here, that's encouraging. Maybe I'll get to play with some gaffers.

CatPee

Glad this isn't a 24hr deal. I'll pick up Premium at some point this week, and hope I'm not super terrible at MP. Premium includes all released DLC and access to the packs that release in the future?

Yep, though there's only one more. Really though $6 a pop for the DLC is a great deal considering the amount of content you get.

Yeah Premium is better than the main game. YEAH I WENT THERE.
If only because it takes a fraction of the time to load. >_>*

Decide to get GF BF3.
She needs Origin account.
Still having problems with Origin.

And so it begins!

naib

Took a test dip before buying premium. It's been almost a year since I've played. No origin on this rig.
And I do have Karkand. Only lvl 15 though. :lol

Bought and downloading...
Considering pausing d/l and playing vanilla for now; snag the rest overnight.
Aw yiss.

edit: Well, Origin/BF3 didn't like me pausing/canceling that.
Tomorrow then.

I am thinking on taking the $40 plunge but I need to know something first; are there any levels in which you can get a fairly good score even though you just started and don't have any unlocks? Kinda like team deathmatch on isla on BFBC2 where you can run around with saiga and not lose miserably to all the pro's.

CatPee

Every map requires knowledge of it, so no, not really. Just pay attention to your surroundings and check the minimap often. Of course, you could just grind out TDM and get unlocks, but that'd be no fun.

Top Bottom