• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Magetta is a pretty irrelevant character so it doesn't really matter. Besides, I think they gave him a bit more personality. I would hate for Choo-po to be the only word in someone's vocabulary.

Moaradin

Yeah, I don't really care for the dub voice on Magetta, but he's also such a nothing character that I find it pretty humorous that someone could be outraged over it.

indeed the animation was good and the music as well
even though it is sprite based he put in some depth of feild and warping techniques

of course the plot is lol but seeing Goku Black with Baby Vegeta and ss4 broly showcases how good Goku black's design is to the others

Baby Vegeta's supersayain form is still hideous to this day

Dope
DL12NE9W4AAFOv7.jpg

nice to see a bit more future mai and gowasu
even deletion couldn't stop gowasu. frost on the other hand..

Holy shit, Herms98 just posted HUGE SPOILERS for episode 112.

and now I'm sad...

well. i guessed it would happen but still. a shame
to see hit go. hope he puts up a good fight

Holy fucking shit.

I just saw his fight with Vegeta in the English dub... What the fuck were they thinking?
not the biggest fan of it either. ah well

indeed the animation was good and the music as well
even though it is sprite based he put in some depth of feild and warping techniques

of course the plot is lol but seeing Goku Black with Baby Vegeta and ss4 broly showcases how good Goku black's design is to the others

Baby Vegeta's supersayain form is still hideous to this day

Most GT designs are pretty terrible for me.

I think the only villain design I actually like from it is Omega Shenron.

HeroR

Most GT designs are pretty terrible for me.

I think the only villain design I actually like from it is Omega Shenron.

Baby as a white-haired Vegeta was fine. It wasn't until he into his 'final form' that it became butt ugly. Super 17 would have been fine, if they didn't try so hard for that cool factor.

A lot of the Shadow Dragons looked fined outside of maybe two of them.

Ashodin

Man the part when Goku is sucked in the Spirit Black Hole was just some prime cinematography. The lack of music, the trippy visuals, Goku just falling in limply... it's amazing

What was so impressive with Pokemon Magetta that Funi trampled on?

Why does something have to be impressive for a dubbing studio to respect the original material and not completely change a character?

Magetta was a cute little character, now he's annoying meme trash that completely misses the point and I absolutely hate it.

Why does something have to be impressive for a dubbing studio to respect the original material and not completely change a character?

Magetta was a cute little character, now he's annoying meme trash that completely misses the point and I absolutely hate it.

Yeah, this right here.

They completely changed the character and ruined him.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dubs shouldn't change the original intent of the character. You might like it but it sets a dangerous precedent.

HeroR

That's the thing, Magetta was never cute to me. It was his animation and fighting style that made him interesting to me, not his speaking pattern which was a Pokemon. Funi didn't miss the point at all since even in the Japanese subs, characters thought he was a dumb robot by the way he spoke.

So the 'completely change a character', is BS. They changed little since Magetta's character wasn't in his voice since again, he just said the same thing over and over again and everyone thought he was robot.

Again, what was his best line, in your opinion?

Cho-po, perhaps?

So he went from a character that can only say "Cho-po" to one that talks in a robot voice. If a joke doesn't translate then it needs to be changed so it does, that's how translation works.

Again, what was his best line, in your opinion?

The lines are irrelevant in this case. The dub didn't even need to do the choo po. Just something that allows Magetta to express emotion through his voice instead of being text to speech

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The lines are irrelevant in this case. The dub didn't even need to do the choo po. Just something that allows Magetta to express emotion through his voice instead of being text to speech

I'm rolling my eyes. The joke didn't translate over so they adapted it so it did. The guy was literally a Pokemon in Japanese. You sound like they changed the core of the character.

Fj0823

Machine Robot kid -> text to speech meme machine

latest

Ugh, gonna have to agree

Adorable sensitive robot that goes "choo-po!" Who's Irrelevant to the plot > Generic "Affirmative!" Robot who's irrelevant to the plot

That said, I still think it's not that important.

Sanji is a major character so that was waaaaaay more egregious

HeroR

This is my thing about it.

Especially people going on about it being a "funny meme". Is the Japanese version not its own attempt at humor too?

OverallI don't think it's that important.

That's the thing. Even in the Japanese version they thought Magetta was a robot by his speaking pattern and other oddities. To me, it seems Funi took that quirk and made it more apparent, probably because just saying the same thing doesn't invoked 'robot' to people in North American.

I don't know and I think you should just asked Sabat about the change instead of jumping on the 'they copied TFS' or 'meme bot' train.

Although, I will still say that 'changing his character' is full of it since Magetta could have been mute and still be the same character since most of what Magetta is is in his animation and the way he carried himself, imo.

Ugh, gonna have to agree

Adorable sensitive robot that goes "choo-po!" Who's Irrelevant to the plot > Generic "Affirmative!" Robot who's irrelevant to the plot

That said, I still think it's not that important.

Sanji is a major character so that was waaaaaay more egregious

I think you miss joke then. Magetta being sensitive wasn't revealed until he lost to Vegeta. Before then, everyone in the cast thought he was a machine.

Top Bottom