• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merry Christmas from Microsoft: 360 Warranty extended to 1 year

mildewproduction

Look for this news to hit tomorrow.

The 360 Warranty will be extended to a one year warranty.

Anyone who has had repairs done within the past year will get a refund.

Awesome news.

Newsflash:
Microsoft Extends
Xbox 360 Warranty to One Year

This holiday season, shoppers can buy with added confidence as Microsoft expands its warranty coverage of the Xbox 360™ video game entertainment console from 90 days to one full year. Microsoft has announced that any Xbox 360 purchased in both the United States and Canada will include this added warranty coverage, and it even applies to those who have already purchased an Xbox 360 console and who are still within their first year of ownership!

Effective today (December 22), the one year warranty is now the standard for all Xbox 360 consoles. Customers that experience hardware issues with their Xbox 360 within one year of purchase will have their consoles repaired at no cost. Moreover, the new warranty policy is retroactive, so consumers that may have already paid for out-of-warranty Xbox 360 repair within one year of the console's purchase will be eligible for reimbursement of their console repair charges.

"Our number one priority for the Xbox 360 is customer satisfaction," said Jeff Bell, Corporate Vice President of Global Marketing for Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business. "Now, in addition to Xbox 360 offering features such as jaw-dropping high definition graphics, an amazing variety of more than 160 games, and social online and entertainment experiences found on Xbox Live®, this warranty upgrade is an exclamation at the end of an already compelling home entertainment offering."

Customers who have already paid for repairs within their first year of ownership can expect reimbursement checks for the amount of their console hardware repair in approximately 10 weeks. These will be automatically distributed, so customers do not need to proactively contact Microsoft. Customers who have any questions regarding this policy change or who have experienced any hardware issues should visit: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/contact/ or call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and speak to an agent.

This warranty extension only applies to the hardware and software of the actual Xbox 360 console itself. It does not apply to any Xbox 360 accessories, including any that may have been packaged with the console at the time of its original purpose. Xbox 360 accessories retain their original 90 day warranties. For full information on the Xbox 360 warranty, click here.

Mrbob

MS pretty much had too considering Sony and Nintendo offer one year on their products.

Good news regardless.

bill0527

If true, I'd say that the supposed 3-5% defect perfecentage is getting into 'class-action lawsuit' type of percentages.

robo_robo

My 3 months warranty is going out at the end of the month so I'm glad I won't have to bother getting the extended one.

X26

Banned
Cerrius said:
what the hell?

you're such an MS tool, it's amazing

QFT

Anyways I hope this is true, got mine recently and given how much you hear about people's 360's breaking down the 90 day warranty does not seem like nearly enough

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If this is true, I know 3 people who in just the last week have lost their system to the RING OF FIRE (including myself). This would be GREAT news!

mildewproduction

GhaleonEB said:
I'd say the same for anyone working for Sony, Nintendo, Bethesda, the works. There's one guy constantly leaking stuff. I think it's bad form to support that; it's bad business. Linking to leaks reported from other sites? Fine. But this seems like a direct link from someone inside Microsoft trying to undermine them to GAF. I suggest it be cut.

and my post history does not support your accusation. what the hell back at you.

Well for one my source doesn't even work at Microsoft.

And two most of my leaks are from Press Releases. So the info hits GAF an few hours before anywhere else. It's really undermining Microsoft.

LukeSmith

mildewproduction said:
You can get banned for stuff like this???

I thought this type of info was what GAF was all about.

You're the guy who lives in Portland and knows someone at MS, right?

CREEPY ISNT IT. THEY ARE COMING FOR YOU, RUN.

mildewproduction

Linking to leaks reported from other sites? Fine. [/QUOTE said:
So it's ok if IGN gets the news first because they have a source.

It's also ok if EGM gets the news first because they have a source.

But it's not ok for GAF to get the news first, because I'm not hired by GAF as a journalist? What, I should start my own blog, post the crap there first, then link to GAF? Hey at least I could make a few pennies off of Google Ads.

Merry Christmas.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I don't know what the hell is going on between you ladies but...

QFT. It is like a kid stumbling upon a conversation between two parents discussing "Santa Claus".

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
If MS is going to extend the warranty, how does breaking the news first undermine them?

What difference does it make...it's not like it's insider trading or something. Shit.

mildewproduction said:
Look for this news to hit tomorrow.

The 360 Warranty will be extended to a one year warranty.

Anyone who has had repairs done within the past year will get a refund.

Awesome news.

Awesome news since I FREAKING BOUGHT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY !!!!!!!!!!

That's $40 down the tubes. I know EB/Gamestop will do an immediate replacement, but I could wait a few days .

Guess the legal issues were getting pretty heavy for them to have to do this.

But, overall, it brings the cost of ownership down, which is excellent news. I doubt many factor that cost when they buy the machine, but it's there and MANY folks buy the extended warranty.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm going to call and make them extend my warranty I bought though them (MS)

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:
Awesome news since I FREAKING BOUGHT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY !!!!!!!!!!

That's $40 down the tubes. I know EB/Gamestop will do an immediate replacement, but I could wait a few days .

Guess the legal issues were getting pretty heavy for them to have to do this.

But, overall, it brings the cost of ownership down, which is excellent news. I doubt many factor that cost when they buy the machine, but it's there and MANY folks buy the extended warranty.

EB/GS was doing a deal where you got CoD2:GotY edition and a year warranty for free.

mildewproduction

ms1year.jpg

okay, my 360 died a while back and I have it registered with MS and everything. So when/if they announce this, do I just call and tell them I need it repaired? Do I need anything else like my receipt? I hope not. :$

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
So my 360 doesn't have any warranty now...if it breaks I'm safe right? It was made in April but it's a refurb so I got it in September. So this applies to me right?

Pedobear said:
So my 360 doesn't have any warranty now...if it breaks I'm safe right? It was made in April but it's a refurb so I got it in September. So this applies to me right?
yessum.

But I have to have a receipt to get my 360 fixed?

DJ Sl4m

I just took mine apart 2 days ago :(

It's nice to see them do the right thing, although I doubt I can get a MSFT replacement now that I've disassembled mine. ROFL :(

Methodis

Banned
Guess all those lawsuits caught up to them.

So I'll be getting my $180 back I spent last week on getting my 360 repaired?

Top Bottom