• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

BeeDog

Figured this is big enough to post in its own topic. Vampire Hunter Vizier in the OT linked to this page:

http://www.mycrysis.com/dx11

Minor update:

Since the page went 404, I'll upload a screencap of what the page said before it went down:

39HmP.png

Update 2:

scitek said:
So, if any of you want to go ahead and download the texture pack and DX11 files, they're available. You still need to wait for patch 1.9 to be able to install them, though.

DX11 (546 MB)
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2014/mirrors.php

High-Res Texture Pack (1.7 GB)
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2015/mirrors.php

Despite what the links say, they aren't 4.5 and 5.7 GB.

MNC

Meh. It's not on steam anyway. :(

I so totally went there.

Edit: Why the fuck are these optional downloads instead of patched in settings.

LQX

This game already looked miles better than anything out there so cant imagine how insane this will look. Going to need a new card though.

beast786

LQX said:
This game already looked miles better than anything out there so cant imagine how insane this will look. Going to need a new card though.

I am not sure about that. I still think JC2 has the best IQ. Especially in 3D.(IMO)

Steam did give me a notification of something about crysis 2 yesterday. Was it this patch?

Zimbardo

multiplayer maps were probably the best looking that i've ever seen.

with these new addons it'll be a true 'Holy Shit' moment.

Dennis

Banned
Why the fucking hell are they releasing high res textures now instead of having them as an option at release?

Now I had to play through with inferior textures.

Sick and tired of this shit. The way things are going I have to shelve most new games for 6 months before I can play them.

sp3000

DennisK4 said:
Why the fucking hell are they releasing high res textures now instead of having them as an option at release?

Now I had to play through with inferior textures.

Sick and tired of this shit. The way things are going I have to shelve most new games for 6 months before I can play them.

Yeah, the textures in this game were like an xbox 1 game at launch. What's even worse is they've been sitting on these high res assets the whole time but have been too busy releasing garbage DLC to actually release them.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Not to sound too pessimistic but the differences aren't shall we say... spectacular :

ekukW.jpg

YtHmQ.jpg

BeeDog

Tried to extrapolate the download links based on other files on the site, but no luck. :( Hope they're released ASAP. More hyped about the new textures rather than the DX11-specific stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! Now if it will only come back to Steam for $30 or less, I'll finally buy it.

BlackDove

Banned
Does it...

Does it make the level design not mimic Call of Duty?

Does it put in better non-Marines related story?

Because it sure as shit doesn't look like it makes the game any better visually, outside of running a few cheap filters.

I'll pass.

Red

BlackDove said:
Does it...

Because it sure as shit doesn't look like it makes the game any better visually, outside of running a few cheap filters.

I'll pass.
Filters? What?

Corky

Stallion Free said:
Did you look at the other shots?

Yes, yes I did. The one of the ground was just as non-impressive and I've seen tesselated bricks before. The other options I can't really say anything about since I haven't heard about some of them.

edit : again don't take this as being unhappy or anything I'm all for free upgrades like this but tesselation can be used abit better than that really.

BeeDog

BlackDove said:
Does it...

I'll pass.

I mean, you know perfectly well that these updates won't change any of that, so I don't see the point in you venting your dislike of this game in this very specific topic. We have the OT for that. :p

sp3000

Corky said:
Yes, yes I did. The one of the ground was just as non-impressive and I've seen tesselated bricks before. The other options I can't really say anything about since I haven't heard about some of them.

POM and SSDO were in Crysis 1 but now for some reason its a DX11 feature. WTF. Sounds like the same thing they did with DX10 back in 2007, sometimes I really hate this company.

epmode

LOL @ this not being patched into the game proper. I'd say I was surprised but didn't EA do this with Dragon Age 2 as well?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BlackDove said:
Does it...

I'll pass.
Amazing amounts of ignorance.

Corky

Wait what do they mean with SSAO off vs SSDO on?

edit : also does the game have an in-game updater or do I manually have to download the previous patches from some other place?

BlackDove

Banned
BeeDog said:
I mean, you know perfectly well that these updates won't change any of that, so I don't see the point in you venting your dislike of this game in this very specific topic. We have the OT for that. :p

No, no, I was really gunning for the all inclusive commentary.

My main point was that the paper-as-thin filter pack they included here (tessellation lol, get the filter to do your work for you, couldn't actually include high-poly models with your game because it has to be optimized for consoles first) won't make the game look any better, it'll just do what the CSI Miami filter does on shots of real life. Make it look YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That's OT.

sp3000

Corky said:
Wait what do they mean with SSAO off vs SSDO on?

SSAO approximates one light pass, which is why its shadows are always gray. SSDO simulates multiple passes that include color values, so a green wall thats lit up will cause a room to have a green hue.

Stallion Free said:
EA def. rush C2 out, that much is clear now.

Looking forward to this and these patches better work with my Steam copy.

Even on consoles it feels unfinished (PS3), I still like the game but say 6 more months in the even and this game would be perfect, instead of the janky and glitchy mess we got now, I hate it when publishers rush games, gah...

Corky

sp3000 said:
SSAO approximates one light pass, which is why its shadows are always gray. SSDO simulates multiple passes that include color values, so a green wall thats lit up will cause a room to have a green hue.

Oh I see thanks, I thought they misspelled it or something at first.

BeeDog

BlackDove said:
No, no, I was really gunning for the all inclusive commentary.

My main point was that the paper-as-thin filter pack they included here (tessellation lol, get the filter to do your work for you, couldn't actually include high-poly models with your game because it has to be optimized for consoles first) won't make the game look any better, it'll just do what the CSI Miami filter does on shots of real life. Make it look YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That's OT.

First of all, tessellation isn't the only "filter" that's included. Several other improvements are bundled in the package which may add a lot to the overall graphics quality. Also, a high-res texture pack will be released which should improve the graphics considerably, if done properly.

mr_nothin

Banned
sp3000 said:
SSAO is basically "shadows within shadows"
Also, SSDO is probably just a typo on that page as it would make no sense to have 1 effect on and then have a completely different effect off....
That wouldnt show the difference between having 1 effect on/off at all.

It's a very subtle effect but it adds TONS of depth to any given scene.

randomwab

WanderingWind said:
Sweet! Now to wait for the Steam sale!

Oh, you!

Glad I reinstalled this over the weekend though. I ended up playing through the game on 360 despite buying it on PC at launch. The game was decent, I guess this gives me a reason to dick around with it more.

robotrock

Banned
Some pics of the building tessellation
crysis2building7hp0.jpg

pretty darn cool

edit: i'm sorry, i think it looks better than it originally did.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MikeE21286 said:
Not if I have to play through that helicopter battle again
You mean that helicopter fight that's really easy and take 5 minutes to complete?

I'm very excited for the DX11 patch. Guess I'm going to play through this a third time!

BlackDove

Banned
robotrock said:
Some pics of the building tessellation
crysis2buildingaj8b.png

pretty darn cool

Really?

Really?

Please, in detail, describe exactly what you refer to as "cool" in that image.

It better not be the polygon re-distribution which makes the bricks re-align and make it appear as if they've been altered in any significant manner.

Because that is not cool. Not cool at all my good friend. Not cool at all.

BlackDove said:
Really?

Really?

Please, in detail, describe exactly what you refer to as "cool" in that image.

It better not be the polygon re-distribution which makes the bricks re-align and make it appear as if they've been altered in any significant manner.

Because that is not cool. Not cool at all my good friend. Not cool at all.

You crazy

Top Bottom