• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines is out on Xbox One today, any impressions?

dc89

I take it there's no demo :(
Would be great to play this, I've not done that yet. Not sure I can warrant £30 to jump in

Tall Paul

Yeah I've been looking out all week for reviews. Think they drop today but the previews on YouTube seem to put it in a good light, looks like a good change of pace.

Gowans

I take it there's no demo :(
Would be great to play this, I've not done that yet. Not sure I can warrant £30 to jump in

There is the new 2 hour refund policy but I think you have to be an alpha ring insider or I would have pulled the trigger blind too.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

I've been playing the he'll out of this game on my PC recently.

Would really love to be able to sit back and play with a controller. Wonder if controller support will come to the PC version.

Caayn

Really interested to see the performance for this one. The PC version can be pretty heavy on the CPU.

Gowans

Its live now so hopefully some reviews and impressions pop up, I'm sure there will be some streams I can go and check out too.

Karak

My embargo was up at 1am.
Rated it a wait for Sale. ONLY because of the fps issues and lack of any real difficulty at all. Control is spot on, game works well. But the FPS issues bothered me a bit.

Rated it a wait for Sale. ONLY because of the fps issues and lack of any real difficulty at all. Control is spot on, game works well. But the FPS issues bothered me a bit.

Nice to hear controls work fine, shame there are performance issues.

danowat

Banned
Do we know if this is coming to PS4, and in particular with a Pro upgrade?

Tempted to pick it up for XBO, but not keen on the fps issues, so if it's coming for PS4, I might wait......

Karak

I will say this. How they handled control even if the FPS drops is really unique. Many games the control gets sluggish but it doesn't here. Very different.

As for FPS issues all I can say is if you stay mid to long distance your golden

Castef

Banned
I reviewed it for IGN Italy.

It is a quite competent port of a very good game.

You get the base game and the AfterDark expansion in a single package, which means that you start with a quite meaty game.

Tutorials are well done, while control over joypad is a bit trick (if you have a decent PC get it there), especially when you want to use the sharp design tool.

Graphically it is not very outstanding, yet everything is clear on screen and the way the details are removed when you build things helps a lot during the design phase (smart interface indeed).

Frame rate is fine, yet it takes a hit with very large cities filled with structures and traffic. Not a big issue, given the kind of game.

I think that if you are into city building you should check it, right now it is the best available on consoles.

Lucifon

Thanks for the review Karak. Game looks great. I expected performance issues given how the PC version runs but those performance issues are actually a lot less than I expected which is nice! Going to pick this up today, game was awesome on PC. Very little else really like it on consoles too and it's cheaper than full usual RRP.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It sucks that we won't get a PS4 version, because I wouldn't mind playing the game on the console especially after hearing positive stuff about the pad controls.

Rocketz

Great review. Just finished watching it.

As for the FPS I was going in thinking it wasn't going to be perfect. I knew there would be some issues. Glad to hear there is a way to mostly avoid the problem spots. Obviously hope for a patch for improvements. I played sim city on an awful laptop this will be an improvement in every sense.

I'm going to pick the game up after I get back from my honeymoon but my only worry is the DLC. XB1 is missing a few dlcs at launch compared to the current PC version and I hope this isn't a quick money grab and abandon soon after release.

luckyjj10

Neo Member
This game is ridiculously CPU heavy (like 5ghz i7 will become mediocre fps after a while). So unless it is nerfed from PC... there will be major issues in legit big cities. As the xbox one cpu is really not very good.

It sounds like what people are thinking is big in this game are just actually getting started.

Does it have the same maps? Can you purchase as many zones, are the zones as big as on PC?

Castef

Banned
This game is ridiculously CPU heavy (like 5ghz i7 will become mediocre fps after a while). So unless it is nerfed from PC... there will me major issues in legit big cities. As the xbox one cpu is really not very good.

Game is not a straight port of the PC edition, it has been tweaked to run "well" on console.

This means that even if you build quite large cities it will automatically scale complexity of certain elements/effect to keep things running properly.

Also, in some way, it renders the interface and the design elements at a different frame-rate from the 3D graphics, so even if things start to slow down this won't impact the controls.

All in all, it works quite well on Xbox One, even though you have to expect frame rate to dip on LARGE cities and when you zoom in on very populated cities.

Cities: Skylines is one of the few truly amazing games of this decade so it's nice to see it get ported. More people should be able to play this.

bman94

Oh shit really? I finally get a chance to play the game then. I bought it last year on Steam but it runs like ass on my laptop on lowest settings.

Top Bottom