• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

Anth0ny

Japan gets Mother 2, no one else does.

The VC library won't be there all at once, it'll trickle out over time. Again.

Sandfox

People are going to be annoyed by the price but at least its optional. Its better for games one hasn't purchased unless they are willing to pay the dollar for games they really love.

They're no longer roms (in order to get gamepad screen support + savestates + Miiverse or whatever options they add), hence dev time and cost to update.

I guess it's possible they could do some direct-dump games and update them later like on 3DS, though...

I'm actually okay with the discounts; my question is, I already transferred my VC games to a launch console that I got rid of. Will that make a difference when it comes to the discount, or will I simply have to add my Club Nintendo account to a future Wii U console that I purchase?

A buck or two each isn't too bad I don't think. Obviously I'd prefer free, but I think another $1.50 to play say Final Fantasy III on the gamepad is worth it.

Striek

They're no longer roms (in order to get gamepad screen support + savestates + Miiverse or whatever options they add), hence dev time and cost to update.

I guess it's possible they could do some direct-dump games and update them later like on 3DS, though...

Of course they're going to be ROMs. All of that stuff will be emulator side. Charging people again is ridiculous.

I'm actually okay with the discounts; my question is, I already transferred my VC games to a launch console that I got rid of. Will that make a difference when it comes to the discount, or will I simply have to add my Club Nintendo account to a future Wii U console that I purchase?

well your account is locked to that system you got rid of.

This is going to be an interesting thread. Curious to see how many are upset they have to pay a small fee to get the updated version. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I don't see how it's different then releasing HD games and charging for them. Just because you owned the original doesn't mean you get the new game with updated features for free. With this you can either play your original VC game in Wii Mode, or you can pay a small(seriously small, IMO) fee for the updated features to use the GamePad, and access it in Wii U mode, Miiverse Integration, etc.....

Sendou

Looks like about 80% discount. I guess you'll have to decide if ability to play them off-tv and Miiverse is enough to make you pay that. I'm not sure myself.

d_escudero

Neo Member
No Earthbound here :(
I will go to cry in a corner...

In other point, I didn't expect GBA on Wii U, I'm still waiting to be on 3ds, I have only a few of VC games (10 I think, and half are N64 games), not big deal for repruchase games If i buy a Wii U

sakipon

No you don't HAVE to do anything.

But if you want to add some awesome new features to your games it will cost you mere pennies.

It's a choice, and a very fair one.

I was actually expecting it to cost a nominal fee, like 20 cents or so. The discount is not good enough, I feel.

It's still great to have the chance to play VC on the GamePad, but they should've taken a plunge for the old customers.

leadbelly

Banned
Wait... aren't games on the Virtual Console emulated?

I don't have a Wii so I'm not so sure. If they are, then this is a straight up scam.

Madao

sounds like you're boned since everything was tied to the console, even the NNID.

Worth clarifiying in the OP that you don't have to repurchase your Wii VC games - they transfer straight over - but that to get the added features mentioned, owners of those Wii titles can upgrade for a fraction of the price new buyers will pay.

I expect some people will still object to that, but it's clearer than what seems to be coming across - that you have to rebuy to get your VC library on Wii U in the first place - at some sites...

sounds like you're boned since everything was tied to the console, even the NNID.

Sweet. So you can't tie your CN account to another console? It can't be removed from the original console? I sold my launch console to a friend so I can still get access to it, if it's possible to remove the NNID and CN account associated with it.

Where's my Gamecube and N64 games? Those will come eventually... Right?

Little annoyed that I have to pay to download again, but DK needs some gamepad support.

King_Moc

Banned
How much is the discount, and are they changed in any way beyond off tv play? HD-ification would be nice. If they're gonna recharge previous owners then they need to at least justify it.

BD1

Banned
At least Nintendo is adding features to VC games, so the $1.50 will actually net you something new.

That being said, I won't rebuy most of my games.

The Boat

Thankfully I don't have a lot of VC games on Wii, but it's still shameful that you need to buy them again. I realize they're fitting them one by one, but that's no excuse.

teeny

Im reluctant to transfer my Wii VC games to the Wii U at all, at least until every single game is available for me to download.

And even then it is going to cost me a lot. What would be better is if Nintendo allowed you to transfer all games to the Wii U properly, and then pay more to upgrade if you wish to. I don't like the idea of having some games sitting in one sandboxed mode that might die out sooner rather than later, whilst others are on the new machine.

Maybe Im just being OCD about it.

Also, GBA games on the Wii U before the 3DS is just weird.

Tunic

I am excited about GBA games. Also being able to play on the gamepad will be a very nice feature. Pricing isn't too bad if you previously bought the titles. Of course free is better but if it requires extra development to support the game to be playable on the gamepad only I will happily pay the $1.00/$1.50.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the wiiware games will appear as well, and if so, if there will be a similar discount system...?

Glass Joe

I have to re-purchase everything? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

No. You can play all your stuff in Wii mode like always.

The discounts at least are pretty significant. Upgrade each NES title you own for $1.00, or SNES title for $1.50. It's an acceptable compromise, considering they do offer "enhanced" features like off-tv and Miiverse, and obviously had to be totally reprogrammed.

I'm okay with this. For my collection, I can update everything for probably about $20-$30. I imagine it's still going to be a slow drip though when it does start this Spring, so my wallet won't be hit all at once. I'm sure I'll actually be excited to see Game X finally in stores again, actually.

Question on that 30 cent promotion, starting with Balloon Fight today. So is that like, a glorified rental, or will they let us *keep* it at that price?

Top Bottom