• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSoup

Banned
Romulan Ale looks nothing like that...

giphy2.gif

Actually Romulan Ale looks different depending on the version of Trek we are talking about ;P

Was about to say..
I've only seen the movies, I thought Romulan Ale was translucent blue.

I just finished a comparison between the (alpha?) footage from april 2016 and this one. I couldn't find a good video so I used the glitched footage.

https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

The leaked clip already looks like it belongs in the last generation, and the retail product looks exceptionally worse. Jeez. I remember Mass Effect 3 was technically awful (fallen enemies disappeared and you could straight walk through them before they did). You really gotta wonder about the type of talent they're hiring.

i-Lo

I just finished a comparison between the (alpha?) footage from april 2016 and this one. I couldn't find a good video so I used the glitched footage.

https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

In one cutscène I had two characters following the exact same path and doing the exact same animations, like the game had only place for one teammember to put there and decided: what the heck, let's just mix up both.

Don't have a movie or a gif as I didn't think of saving it as a movie, but I do have the abomination in screenshot:

These are just pitiful. This reminds me so much of Star trek the video game from 4 years ago.

Wait, what are the settings of the final game there?

I'm gonna quote myself from another thread, because I'm curious as well:
Just to clear up something, because I'm not sure myself, but isn't the March 2017 portion of that comparison video taken from this glitched YouTube video? The glitched video has obviously some animation issues going on (and other like duplicated models in T-poses, maybe even possible lighting, texture or LOD problems), so I was just wondering if that's really a representative sample for comparison.

Or was that footage taken from a normal (not glitched) version of the cutscene? (I've no idea when the scene happens, if there's footage of it elsewhere from other sources etc.)

Not trying to detour the conversation at all, just curious if that's really how that particular scene looks like in the final build, since there are some glaring inconsistencies in at least texture and model detail, compared to other cutscenes I've seen (like Drack has some shitty detail and textures, compared to, say, this introductory cutscene).

I mean, the game looks like a mess in many respects, I'm just curious about the facts in this particular instance.

EDIT:
Just to make it clearer:

March 2017 example from the comparison video with glitches:

Another ingame cutscene showing the same character:

Slaythe

I'm gonna quote myself from another thread, because I'm curious as well:

You're entirely right but the "non broken" version isn't gonna magically fix anything.

The lightning is shit, the animations are shit, the models are shit. So in no way will it ever match the target render.

8c8Pcei.png

This is the norm.

RedRum

Banned
This thread is amazing. I think I'll enjoy the game regardless when I pick it up after a few patches.

You know.. Crowbcat is going to fucking destroy this game. LoL.

You're entirely right but the "non broken" version isn't gonna magically fix anything.

The lightning is shit, the animations are shit, the models are shit. So in no way will it ever match the target render.

8c8Pcei.png

This is the norm.

Oh no, I pretty much agree, there are certainly a lot of examples (like the one with the colorful protesters you provided) that look real bad, but I've also seen the game look very nice at times (like the introductory Drack cutscene, which again, it's a cutscene made to look good for a reason, compared to ingame walkabouts), so I'm wondering if maybe the coughing animation is borked in that particular example, since most of the animations aren't even playing because of the sheer fucked up glitchy mess in that cutscene.

Slaythe

Oh no, I pretty much agree, there are certainly a lot of examples (like the one with the colorful protesters you provided) that look real bad, but I've also seen the game look very nice at times (like the introductory Drack cutscene, which again, it's a cutscene made to look good for a reason, compared to ingame walkabouts), so I'm wondering if maybe the coughing animation is borked in that particular example, since most of the animations aren't even playing because of the sheer fucked up glitchy mess in that cutscene.

Outside of the Cora sex scenes, that coughing was more convincing that anything else in the game though :p .

Even if the dude does cough, it won't look similar. But maybe it does ! I don't have the game to check sadly.

If we're nitpicking water pouring animations we could be here all day with videogames.
Honestly though, this is really shitty. As another gaffer mentioned the liquid starts above where the hole of the bottle is and it continues to pour after the bottle is moved away it's just very poorly executed regardless of how the wine/liquid looks.

Beck

As the person who recorded the glitch video, I'll get a a non-messed up version of it right now. Luckily the game keeps loyalty mission saves for each party member.

Outside of the Cora sex scenes, that coughing was more convincing that anything else in the game though :p .

Even if the dude does cough, it won't look similar. But maybe it does ! I don't have the game to check sadly.

I mean, it might look a bit "better" if, say, the animations weren't playing properly, the textures and models weren't loaded in full detail, or the lighting wasn't maxed out/got glitched as well, won't help much with all the other glaring problems the game obviously has, but at least it might make the comparison more accurate to what the finished product looks like in that particular instance. Not crossing my fingers on much better results though.

As the person who recorded the glitch video, I'll get a a non-messed up version of it right now. Luckily the game keeps loyalty mission saves for each party member.

Thanks, I didn't really mean to bother anyone with this, I was just curious, and it kinda gnaws at the back of my brain when I notice stuff like that. I'm all for critiquing and exposing problems in games and all things related to the industry, I just kinda like seeing it done properly. :)

Beck

Thanks, I didn't really mean to bother anyone with this, I was just curious, and it kinda gnaws at the back of my brain when I notice stuff like that. I'm all for critiquing and exposing problems in games and all things related to the industry, I just kinda like seeing it done properly. :)

Yeah. I never expected the video would be used as a comparison, especially considering I hadn't seen the other alpha footage prior to today. But, here's a non-glitched version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ZjiDjnr40

Yeah. I never expected the video would be used as a comparison, especially considering I hadn't seen the other alpha footage prior to today. But, here's a non-glitched version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ZjiDjnr40

Much appreciated, sad to see there's nothing fundamentally better in the non-glitched version expect better textures and poly count. I now remember seeing that alpha footage at the time but had completely forgotten about it until today, and it's a shame at how much fidelity and detail is lost in the final version. You can even see them deliberately cut the camera when the coughing starts so you can't even see the character's face properly until he falls down since they've obviously cut/changed the animations drastically in the final product.

It's a shame to see a troubled project like this, especially one that potentially showed some promise, as a new and bright future for the Mass Effect franchise. I've had my beef with the original trilogy, but there was a lot of good stuff in there, so I'm kinda bummed when a big and interesting sci-fi series gets borked like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom