• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Designated Survivor |OT| President Bauer Power Hour

BBboy20

God, that General is your standard asshole so much.
latest

Also the last bad guy Jack literally faced.

It's weird seeing Kiefer show emotion, after watching all those years as Jack Bauer.

Good start though, I'm in for the ride.
And overtly way out of his league.

I started laughing when I saw that. They know who their target audience is.
That was the moment I realized this was the fantasy of Bauer becoming president

Also a 24 namedrop when that guy was one the phone. :D
Also by a 24 actor.

So what's your take on Maggie Qs character? is she the new Jack Bauer type?
I figure she'll represent the deductive part of the plot.

Between this and Jessica Jones, he's killing it.
Heh, I forgot he scored that. Dude has range.

devilhawk

Thought it was decent.

I did get a chuckle out of the designated survivor being a mile or two away in sight of the capitol.

Zalasta

I'm not too keen on the premise of the show, why would you even name someone you're about to remove as the designated survivor.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Thought it was decent.

I did get a chuckle out of the designated survivor being a mile or two away in sight of the capitol.
Hah, that's a good point which I didn't even consider.

"Oh, shit, somebody just bombed the President, Congress, SCOTUS and all of the Cabinet members."

"Quick, enact the continuity of government act! Secure the designated survivor!"

"Yeah, about that. He was in the blast radius, so..."

Jarmel

Banned
Hah, that's a good point which I didn't even consider.

"Oh, shit, somebody just bombed the President, Congress, SCOTUS and all of the Cabinet members."

"Quick, enact the continuity of government act! Secure the designated survivor!"

"Yeah, about that. He was in the blast radius, so..."

They did a ton of tweaks obviously for dramatic effect.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...201a9e-7a95-11e6-bd86-b7bbd53d2b5d_story.html

In reality, he probably won't be in DC nor would he had found out that morning.

mre

They did a ton of tweaks obviously for dramatic effect.
Obviously. :p It was just something funny that I hadn't considered while watching the show.

Thanks for the link, though. Interesting to read about there being 2 designated survivors: executive and legislative. I wonder why they don't have 1 member of SCOTUS sit out as well?

Kin5290

Wait a minute.

A terrorist attack levels the Capitol Building and kills everyone in the Continuity of Government chain down to SecHUD, and he is not immediately rushed aboard Air Force One and sequestered in flight for the next 24 hours?

Wait a minute.

A terrorist attack levels the Capitol Building and kills everyone in the Continuity of Government chain down to SecHUD, and he is not immediately rushed aboard Air Force One and sequestered in flight for the next 24 hours?

while that might happen in reality for a variety of reasons, in a fictional setting the idea of just flying off into the sunset would strike viewers as 'odd', I think.
Also would produce immediate associations with Independence Day, even more so because we recently had a sequel to it. If they had done the Airforce One thing they should have gotten Bill Pullman and gone full ham.
I suspect Pullman kind of hates ID4 for the effect on his career now. Also that show with him as president didn't work out. :(

But basically the writers couldn't do that even if they wanted to, because of ID4.

Vengrim

Promising start. 2 things I really...really hope the show won't do;
- Bauer turns out having an affair with Maggie Q or anyone else.
- Filler episodes involving his son's drug deal.

As soon as I saw the hot Chief of Staff chick that's immediately what I thought. I'm like please don't have Kirkman in an affair with her. Low hanging fruit for a plotline.

Wait a minute.

They have no clue what happened at first.
Air Force One and Marine One could already be rigged/targeted.
And in crazy Hollywood land enemies might have anti-air missiles ready the second they get in the air for all they know.

Its basically a 10~ minute unsafe drive to a nuke proof fortress
vs
A 10~ minute unsafe drive to a potentially unsafe plane, hours of a potentially risky flight /and then safty at a separate bunker

Think about it unless you have a MOLE!! or a stealth enemy aircraft if the White House wasn't already hit it isn't likely to be hit.
It isn't randomly going to blow when a random secret service group arrives there with some dude enemies have no clue about.

On the other hand enemies wouldn't attack AF1 randomly parked with nobody there,
they'd wait till it was ready to go with important people onboard if it was a target compared to a symbolic target like the White House when their other plan succeeded.

It bothered me at first as well till I thought all the scenarios out.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
And in crazy Hollywood land enemies might have anti-air missiles ready the second they get in the air for all they know.

Surface-to-air missiles are of no concern to Air Force One once it's in the air, to be honest. That thing is a flying fortress that uses a bunch of undisclosed tech to defend itself.

In real life, they would have put the designated survivor on AFO until they sorted things out on the ground, most likely.

It's OK, though. It's a fictional show, and keeping him on the ground to interact with people is more interesting to watch than having him chill in the air talking on the phone.

Surface-to-air missiles are of no concern to Air Force One once it's in the air, to be honest. That thing is a flying fortress that uses a bunch of undisclosed tech to defend itself.

Not sure if there are really anti-missile countermeasures that are that effective if the plane is still in SAM range. I remember reading that when Air Force One was approaching DC after 9/11 that fighter jets flew in tight formation so that they could intercept missiles by flying into their path.

Kin5290

Its basically a 10~ minute unsafe drive to a nuke proof fortress
vs
A 10~ minute unsafe drive to a potentially unsafe plane, hours of a potentially risky flight /and then safty at a separate bunker

Think about it unless you have a MOLE!! or a stealth enemy aircraft if the White House wasn't already hit it isn't likely to be hit.
It isn't randomly going to blow when a random secret service group arrives there with some dude enemies have no clue about.

On the other hand enemies wouldn't attack AF1 randomly parked with nobody there,
they'd wait till it was ready to go with important people onboard if it was a target compared to a symbolic target like the White House when their other plan succeeded.

It bothered me at first as well till I thought all the scenarios out.
If Air Force One and Marine One are vulnerable, than the White House is even more so. The big thing is that the White House's location is known, and if you know where a target's location is, with sufficient allocation of force you can kill it.

The Presidential aircraft are far more difficult targets. They're stored in secure, classified locations surrounded by armed guards. Marine One is loaded with anti-missile countermeasures and travels as part of a pack of identical aircraft, and Air Force One is also extremely hard to shoot down with SAMs. The only SAM that can kill a jet aircraft cruising at high altitude is a big vehicle mounted SAM of the Russian SA or U.S. Patriot kind, and those are understandably hard to acquire and transport. Nevermind the difficulty of identifying Air Force One's flight path ahead of time to put SAMs in front of it.

sazzy

Hey, wanted to add that in Australia, its airing as a Netflix Original. So might wanna add that to OP.

Enjoyed the first episode, hope the season is good.

Joni

There is a precedent for bringing the president to the white house after a huge terrorist event in the states. Bush demanded it. In this case we don't know the status of air force one, or if they could secure it well enough and fill it up to fly nonstop. It would also break the link between the president and the people at the worst moment. A secure bunker seems better for the circumstances, like bush claimed after 911.

mre

I liked it a lot, I'm stiking around. I just hope they have story to explore...
I think it's only 13 episodes, so hopefully they have enough material to fill that amount of air space without stretching it thin.

After watching first episode I am hooked. But I think the who done it is probably cliched. I get the feeling that General guy probably knows who did it as he really wants to drop nukes and go to war so hard and implied he wants to kill Tom Kirkman.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Finally watched it. Loved it. I can't wait for the next episode.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I've watched the pilot and it reminded me why I watch a lot less tv shows these days. It didn't really surprise me or catch my attention at any point, the impatient general plotting to take control is one of the worst cliches ever and I had to fast forward the kids scenes as usual. I don't think I'll be tuning in next week even though Jack Bauer's in it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Heads up for UK watchers, this is a "Netflix Original" here and they're airing new episodes every week.

I just watched the first episode on Netflix this morning. Pretty good so far, some of the story beats are a little predictable, and I'm not sure how much focus will be placed on the huge amount of panic and grief that the majority of the country will be facing, but it's decent enough that I'll keep watching.

dLMN8R

The weirdest part about watching this show is that every time someone says "Do this in <x> <minutes/hours>!!" I keep thinking I'll need to wait that long in real-time, only to remember this isn't 24.

jfkgoblue

I enjoyed the first episode, Kiefer Sutherland as confused nobody that gets thrust into President is strange considering what he known for, but by the end we see his inner Jack come out.

The setup was was non-sensical but, it'd be pretty much impossible to get it to make sense that it wasn't a big deal
Designated Survivor &#8207;@ABCDesignated 19m19 minutes ago

Give him 100% or give him nothing. #DesignatedSurvivor

"How much more?"

"25, DAMNIT!"

Almost expected a counter at the end

That's the reaction I'm sure they wanted us to see after he was able to talk to that foreign leader.
Jack would have screamed.

Here we go, profiling, these two cops have no idea who they're on.

Top Bottom