• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://i.minus.com/jZa8eRsOqNon5.png[/im

[B]How can we can go from the Dreadnought in Halo 2 and 3 to the Metapod in Halo 4[/B] I will never understand. At least the Forerunner ships in Halo Wars and Legends still looked good and Forerunnery.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm in the minority here, but with that comparison you helped me nail down my problems with the Forerunner designs in Halo 4. Dreadnought was simple and elegant while Composer is bulky and busy. Forerunner designs in Halo 4, for the most part, were too busy for my tastes. They need to be more simple and elegant.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Snopocalypse 2012, this is the side of my parents' house.

3D0D155F-4DF7-41B9-B403-573FB953DB49.JPG

Can't really agree with what he's saying. According to him, we should just accept the new things in Halo 4 that for some people ruin the Halo aspect because it's a new game. They're not going to remove ordnance, or AA's or perks. They'll maybe tweak some things like the boltshot or certain AA's but the things that really ruin the Halo aspect will stay. No matter how much time I'll give 343, those things won't change. We'll maybe get an MLG playlist and slayer pro will return, but those playlists are still a small part of the total offering and will probably have a low population.

If I would listen to him, I should just drop the franchise I've cared about for 10 years.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Can't really agree with what he's saying. According to him, we should just accept the new things in Halo 4 that for some people ruin the Halo aspect because it's a new game. They're not going to remove ordnance, or AA's or perks. They'll maybe tweak some things like the boltshot or certain AA's but the things that really ruin the Halo aspect will stay. No matter how much time I'll give 343, those things won't change. We'll maybe get an MLG playlist and slayer pro will return, but those playlists are still a small part of the total offering and will probably have a low population.

If I would listen to him, I should just drop the franchise I've cared about for 10 years.

Dude, I said this before. He's doing the same shit the Gears 3 pros did after launch. He's desperate for Halo 4 to go "MLG." He doesn't see the writing on the wall. He's clinging to this desperate hope that his time spent with Reach and now Halo 4 won't be wasted.

Time for him to apply to Wendy's.

Do you give up on Metallica after Load?

Why stay connected to games you don't like? Play it or don't. Ain't no one gonna give a shit if you've bought all the novels, games and DLC in the world. Game no fun? No play gaem.

TheOddOne

I don't agree with him either, that's why I found it funny. He is usually really critical, but that video just is uhm..

I just finished it tonight, actually. The ending was indeed amazing, it blew me away. That being said, if you didn't like the demo, I'm not sure if you'll like the rest of the game (I haven't played the demo though). The game is pretty consistent throughout, you're pretty much doing the same thing for the whole game, which is stumbling around the world looking for puzzles to solve. But the world is so pretty and interesting that the exploring is pretty cool. There are some cryptic puzzles thrown in, though (not required to finish the game), but they're so obtuse they're not fun to solve if you ask me. Overall, I really liked the game though.

Hmm is it something you would recommend experiencing first hand or could I just watch a YouTube vid for some of the more interesting moments? The demo gameplay didn't really grip me but I do really want to see what other one off tricks the game has up its sleeve.

Saving my ms points for trials evolutions I think!

Dude, I said this before. He's doing the same shit the Gears 3 pros did after launch. He's desperate for Halo 4 to go "MLG." He doesn't see the writing on the wall. He's clinging to this desperate hope that his time spent with Reach and now Halo 4 won't be wasted.

Time for him to apply to Wendy's.

You realize he's one of the few (only?) Halo pros to actually make a living streaming right? His viewership has only grown, even as Reach was dropped from MLG's circuit. He only just recently won his first tournament (an exhibition). He's fine. Most of the time, he's playing matchmaking anyway, so MLG or not, people will watch him.

GhaleonEB

We had some snow on Tuesday, well, perhaps not in the boonies where you are, but in the Portland area at least.

There was a little bit on the pass, but I worked from home so I missed it. Up here we just got slightly lumpy rain.

Going to Idaho for Christmas next week, hoping to romp in some snow there.

Why stay connected to games you don't like? Play it or don't. Ain't no one gonna give a shit if you've bought all the novels, games and DLC in the world. Game no fun? No play gaem.

That's what I'm trying to do right now, but it's not easy to say goodbye to a franchise I used to love. Plus there is the fact that there is no other multiplayer game I like to play right now. (Though Far Cry 3 should keep me busy for a while, I hope)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You realize he's one of the few (only?) Halo pros to actually make a living streaming right? His viewership has only grown, even as Reach was dropped from MLG's circuit. He only just recently won his first tournament (an exhibition). He's fine. Most of the time, he's playing matchmaking anyway, so MLG or not, people will watch him.

Yes, but that won't last forever. Plus he still lives with his parents.

That's what I'm trying to do right now, but it's not easy to say goodbye to a franchise I used to love. Plus there is the fact that there is no other multiplayer game I like to play right now. (Though Far Cry 3 should keep me busy for a while, I hope)

Why would one game in a series of far more render your love for the franchise void somehow? If someone asks you if you like the Halo series, do you tell them you no longer like it? Why can't you simply like what you like and not like what you don't?

More like St. Anger, but even then I didn't give up on them as much as I decided they were doing (really, really horrible sounding) things I wouldn't support. Some Kind of Monster was a very interesting look at what they were going through during that time, but it didn't make me like that album any more. To my utter surprise, I ended up really enjoying Death Magnetic and I'm glad that I didn't completely write them off and just eschew everything else they did.

What I'm saying is, Frankie needs to grow out some Hetfield facial hair, and David needs to start learning drums and be really annoying during interviews. Then I'll end up really enjoying Halo 5.

JB1981

I played some Halo 3 matchmaking a bit last night. I'd be into playing some more with Gaffers - my GT is the same as my Gaf name.

Some thoughts on Halo 3:

-god I've missed these maps
-equipment is rare! how refreshing
-the flamethrower is fucking AWESOME. Please Halo 5, please.
-the incendiary and spiker grenades are far more interesting and useful than pulse grenades.
-Longshore is boring
-gameplay is slower than Halo 4 and feels floaty but that's not a bad thing
-seriously, where is the flamethrower, that thing was unique and fun to use
-low population makes finding matches a chore. wish these playlists would be consolidated a bit and all of them require all DLC.
-bad textures. amazing lighting. so colorful. this game looks 10000x better than Reach.
-water engine is coooool

are the population numbers accurate for halo 3? there was 414 players in ranked team slayer last night and 800 players in social slayer. there were 16 players in BTB.

i played halo 3 last night and had a blast. netcode w/ prefer good connection was actually pretty good.

I don't the look of it either, but we could find Pokémon equivalents or similar insulting nicknames for everything.

The Origins pieces of Legends did seem to be the first artistic Forerunner explorations by 343, before they took it "grittier" and more "complicated" in Halo 4.
I think 343i did a great job with the Forerunner architecture in Requiem, Reclaimer and Shutdown. But the design of Mantle's Approach and the indoor design of Shutdown and Mantle's Approach were a big letdown.

I believe they didn't include the flamethrower or flame grenades in 3's MP because of netcode concerns. Simulating flames for everyone consistently wasn't feasible or something.

More like St. Anger, but even then I didn't give up on them as much as I decided they were doing (really, really horrible sounding) things I wouldn't support. Some Kind of Monster was a very interesting look at what they were going through during that time, but it didn't make me like that album any more. To my utter surprise, I ended up really enjoying Death Magnetic and I'm glad that I didn't completely write them off and just eschew everything else they did.

What I'm saying is, Frankie needs to grow out some Hetfield facial hair, and David needs to start learning drums and be really annoying during interviews. Then I'll end up really enjoying Halo 5.

This is a text Gazzawa sent me earlier;

"Suicide, I've already died.
Was a fool for buying Halo 4.
Regicide? Game is dead inside.
Break this Crimson shell
Forever bored"

But yeah, it's easy to hate on one or even a few parts of a franchise. I can still like Metallica for having tried those things and coming out the other end with Death Magnetic and all their awesome live shows as of late.

Metallica sucks listen to good music hydra

-1000 cool points for real

Metallica is like the only band I know people are mostly likely gonna relate to with this. I can tell you there are some Sonata Arctica or Children of Bodom albums I ain't fond of but then no one would know what I'm on about (except a small few).

Metallica is like the only band I know people are mostly likely gonna relate to with this. I can tell you there are some Sonata Arctica or Children of Bodom albums I ain't fond of but then no one would know what I'm on about (except a small few).

That's another 1000 cool points gone from you sir

Hatebreeder is still the best CoB album, digga. AYDY is pretty catchy but hell it is boring too. And they suck live. At least if you see them on a open air stage.

Homeboyd

There was a little bit on the pass, but I worked from home so I missed it. Up here we just got slightly lumpy rain.

Going to Idaho for Christmas next week, hoping to romp in some snow there.
Where in Idaho? Was in Sun Valley not long ago. God I love that place.

Hatebreeder is still the best CoB album, digga. AYDY is pretty catchy but hell it is boring too. And they suck live. At least if you see them on a open air stage.

Ireland doesn't really do open air stages for metal acts (besides Metallica lol) :p Saw COB in a small enough venue. Was up front. Very cool.

I believe they didn't include the flamethrower or flame grenades in 3's MP because of netcode concerns. Simulating flames for everyone consistently wasn't feasible or something.

It was in MP, but I remember they said it was too powerful along with the fire grenades so they removed it from MM.

Anyway my youtube feed its a little messed up because of the new layout desing so I saw Project Phase - Long Night of Solace today, looks awesome that hidden details.

I defintely think BTB is most popular because its what people need to play. Its the only playlist with an appropriate amount of maps right now. Another great example of casuals will play whatever you give them. So aim towards the non-casuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom