• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Actually what bothers me about most Shonen is no matter how the main character looks on the outside, and what they do, they always have perfect abs when they go shirtless.

Why can't I get abs like Luffy?

luffy-now-and-then.jpg

:'(

Nairume

Banned
Actually what bothers me about most Shonen is no matter how the main character looks on the outside, and what they do, they always have perfect abs when they go shirtless.
And to that end, it's another thing that Hero Academia is neat about since it kinda addresses that for a change.

Weiss

Banned
Just sped through all the available chapters and this is one of the best comics I've read in a long time. I like how Midoriya has to work hard to succeed All Might, and doesn't just get the powers handed to him right off the bat.

Just got through the first couple of chapters; it's giving me serious Tiger and Bunny meets Eyeshield 21 vibes for some reason, so I'm of course loving the hell out of it.

The best part is I doubt the mangaka knows how popular Tsuyu (Frog Girl) is already becoming. Momo seemed to be his shot at a fan-popular character.

SalvaPot

The best part is I doubt the mangaka knows how popular Tsuyu (Frog Girl) is already becoming. Momo seemed to be his shot at a fan-popular character.

How long until we get a character popularity poll? I´m sure she`ll take first place, judging by the amount of fanart.

Nairume

Banned
He seems to be aware enough that she's showing up more now.

Does seem like he was expecting Creation Girl to be the breakout character, though :p

Nightbird

Not yet, series is fresh new, maybe in the second half of 2015 or if Shonen Jump alpha decides to offer it.

For now its legal to read fan translations until an announcement is made.

This is actually something that bugged me:

Am i, as EU-Peasant, able to use the US-Shonen Jump here? Even if it's just on the App, it would be ok.

daveo42

Banned
Hot damn is this good. One of the more solid shounens I've read in a while. I hope the pacing and plot keep up. I can definitely see how this could become popular in Japan.

Thanks for the heads up on this OP.

Nairume

Banned
Not yet, series is fresh new, maybe in the second half of 2015 or if Shonen Jump alpha decides to offer it.

For now its legal to read fan translations until an announcement is made.
I wonder if they are waiting to see how it pans out, because they immediately jumped on Horikoshi's last manga, Barrage, only for it to get cancelled within a couple months.

Speaking of which, I really recommend people check out Barrage. While it's easy to see why it got cancelled (particularly due to its nasty pacing issues), it definitely had a lot of the same creativity that Horikoshi's got on display for Hero Academia.

Puruzi

Banned
I really doubt that this is gonna be cancelled anytime soon. It seems to be doing very well right now, been in the top 5 since it started from what I heard.

Sou Da

Just started reading. I hate the explosive kid's archetype so god damn much, also the protag's costume should have incorporated All Might's eyebrow things a bit better so he could have kept it while still showing his face. Iida is the best character and the book so far is pretty enjoyable.

Popnbake

Glad I found this thread.

This manga currently feels like a great Naruto replacement.

As for comparisons with OPM, this seems to have a lot more potential given the main character. Saitama is just too strong for his superhero story.

Puruzi

Banned
Just started reading. I hate the explosive kid's archetype so god damn much, also the protag's costume should have incorporated All Might's eyebrow things a bit better so he could have kept it while still showing his face. Iida is the best character and the book so far is pretty enjoyable.

Yep Kacchan is an asshole. Died when I saw his thought process though
tumblr_nf7ahhm2OC1sxap1so1_500.png

SalvaPot

I wonder if they are waiting to see how it pans out, because they immediately jumped on Horikoshi's last manga, Barrage, only for it to get cancelled within a couple months.

Speaking of which, I really recommend people check out Barrage. While it's easy to see why it got cancelled (particularly due to its nasty pacing issues), it definitely had a lot of the same creativity that Horikoshi's got on display for Hero Academia.

Barrage was fun and I'm happy it got localized, but sad how it crashed and burned. I personally liked his previous work (Oumagadoki Doubutsen) better, it was so silly, i loved it. Its funny how all the main girls he had made so far look really similar.

tumblr_nf4fmdTUW41qhmbkio1_500.jpg

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I've been following this manga for the last few weeks. Definitely enjoying what I've read so far, the character interactions and synergy work so well in my opinion.
My favorite character so far would have to be
Minoru. Dude is a coward, but he sure speaks his desires lol.

SalvaPot

First time in ages I'm feeling the "vibe" from a new shonen series. Feelsgoodman.

I know exactly what you are feeling! Its that "Anything can happen"
feeling.

I've been following this manga for the last few weeks. Definitely enjoying what I've read so far, the character interactions and synergy work so well in my opinion.
My favorite character so far would have to be
Minoru. Dude is a coward, but he sure speaks his desires lol.

He reminds me of Lambo from KH Reborn!, Only pervy.
Minora_freaks_out.JPG

DaveH

I sped through this on a couple of lunch breaks.

I'm okay with the premise... although, honestly, I'm more curious about how the West is doing. Seems like they'd embrace the whole superhero thing more whole-heartedly. I feel like this is more like the "Naruto is about ninjas, but not really / One Piece is about pirate but not really" bait-n-switch... where "hero" can be a hunter, ninja, pirate, wizard, or interchangeable whatever. Not that there's anything wrong with that in this genre, but I went in hoping for more western superhero trope trappings, but got more of a Tiger Bunny corporate vibe.

The whole "use your powers in clever ways" thing is so okay... nowhere near Hunter X Hunter or even early Naruto... about One Piece level. That said we're not even two volumes in so I'm more than willing to let it grow.

If they're trying to setup the rivalry thing, they've made Kacchan too unlikeable so far... he needs more humble pie, I guess.

My only two pet peeves... the villains are all grotesque (I swear, it's like every other mangaka has serious demons to excise and can't just leave it in their trapper keeper like a normal doodler) and that too many of the characters look like Kacchan.

Just my impressions from the first 17 chapters. I don't regret reading it but I'll probably check back in after a couple tankōbon build up.

Corgi

Banned
so... is this super heroes world's mightiest disciple kenichi?

Miss that manga... and not just for the butts!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Barrage was fun and I'm happy it got localized, but sad how it crashed and burned. I personally liked his previous work (Oumagadoki Doubutsen) better, it was so silly, i loved it. Its funny how all the main girls he had made so far look really similar.

I'm gonna check this out. I love the character designs so much in this. All the hero costumes have a sort of over the top that I'd expect.

Nightbird

giphy.gif

I'm gonna check this out. I love the character designs so much in this. All the hero costumes have a sort of over the top that I'd expect.

You (and everyone else here) should definetly check out Oumagadoki Doubutsen. To me it's still better than Hero Academia (but the Gap is closing with each new Chapter). It was funny, very creative, and still had some Action going on.
Up to Today, this and Iron Knight were the only Mangas where i cursed Jump for cancelling them.

I just read through the series, and I'm really feeling it. I love Japanese interpretations of American style superheroes (like Onepunch-Man and Tiger and Bunny).
I feel like I am ready to let a shonen series into my heart again.

edit: and then I immediately made this avatar

Yep Kacchan is an asshole. Died when I saw his thought process though
tumblr_nf7ahhm2OC1sxap1so1_500.png

He's definitely an asshole, but he's an asshole in a really entertaining way. There's something about his ironclad sense of superiority that I find kind of hilarious, like he's sort of an ongoing deconstruction of the super-cocky style of Shonen hero.

Wow. The one on top is literally zero-gravity girl, lol.

Also, am I crazy or does the one on the bottom look a hell of a lot like Deku?

so... is this super heroes world's mightiest disciple kenichi?

Miss that manga... and not just for the butts!

Nah, it's not. If it was HSDK, there'd be a) about 80% more fanservice and b) they'd still be doing the "10 months of training" bit 17 chapters in XD

I miss it too :( Felt like it ended really abruptly.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I liked when All Might showed up for his class and one of the comments was "That costume is so cool, so tacky, so silver age!" lol

Top Bottom