• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roommates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving in with some women this coming week.
Any experiences with non-romantic female housemates? In my minds eye this could lead to good things as they will bring more of their kind into our home.

Girl roommates are awesome. They tend to be more considerate than guy roommates, often have single friends and are an automatic "vouch" for your non-dickishness, assuming you're not actually a dick.

Axalon

Girl roommates are awesome. They tend to be more considerate than guy roommates, often have single friends and are an automatic "vouch" for your non-dickishness, assuming you're not actually a dick.

Is that so? I need a new place starting in June, and my only experience of this is from reruns of Three's Company.

Yeah, so dickheaded that I left a clause in there that they might be able to eat some of my food if they ask me. So dickheaded.

If you went to the bathroom at Burger King and some dude ate your food while you were gone, would saying "ask next time or i'm gonna get really fucking pissed" really be that dickheaded of a response? Nope. That would be fucking measured.

I'M GOING TO FREAK OUT. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS. IM GOING TO FUCKING LOSE IT

Screams of douchebagery. BTW, your Burger King analogy is horrible. Put some more thought into your posts.

Wiggum2007

What is happening in this thread everyone is angry at everyone its like you all fell in the pink slime from Ghostbusters 2 :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Alright. I laughed at that one.

Wrecked.

Yeah, he likely won't be back in this thread.
KuGsj.gif

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'M GOING TO FREAK OUT. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS. IM GOING TO FUCKING LOSE IT

Screams of douchebagery. BTW, your Burger King analogy is horrible. Put some more thought into your posts.

Then tell me why it's horrible. Someone's eating my food either way.

Rekubot

Except that (if you're the food thief) you could take the note to HR, and blame it on whoever wrote the note and had his or her name on the brownies. I call fake.
"Honestly, sir, it was Adam's brownies! He spiked them with marijuana! My proof is a conveniently computer-printed note!"

Works every time I'm sure.

Then tell me why it's horrible. Someone's eating my food either way.

Cottage cheese is an ingredient; a Whopper is prepared food you bought ninety seconds ago. There's obviously a difference. Would you really give a shit if one of your roommates spread half a tablespoon of cottage cheese on their bagel or something? I'm not saying you shouldn't be pissed if they regularly and significantly clean out food you bought, but the fast food restaurant analogy is silly. Are they eating sandwiches you bought and left in the refrigerator?

Is that so? I need a new place starting in June, and my only experience of this is from reruns of Three's Company.

I lived with a girl I only casually knew before moving in, and another friend from college for a few years. Reverse Three's Company, if you will. She was an awesome roommate. To be fair, she was a girl who liked Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, board games, and watching us play video games, but still.

Drencrom

What is happening in this thread everyone is angry at everyone its like you all fell in the pink slime from Ghostbusters 2 :(

It's just people showcasing our primal instinct to get grouchy (or pissed in this case) when inconsiderate people steal our nourishment.

If getting over puberty is having thousands of posts in My Little Pony threads and watching a fuckload of Moe, then no, I'm not getting over puberty soon.

Vheo3.gif

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Expected another useless Devodog thread, got a decent laugh out of the faux internet tough guy act though.

3/5

Shorty

Banned
I wouldn't put it on the fridge.
I'd feel the same way too if someone was stealing my food, but if you want them to stop doing that shit and preserve some kind of friendly atmosphere you should go about it a different way.

Depends on the girls of course, but in my experience, on average, they tend to be messier (far messier) than guy roomates. They will not take out the garbage with a man in the house, they will not clean the bathroom, they will sometimes do dishes, and clothes/underwear will be fucking everywhere, all of the time.

Moppet13

Moving in with some women this coming week.
Any experiences with non-romantic female housemates? In my minds eye this could lead to good things as they will bring more of their kind into our home.

Be prepared for some really passive aggressive notes being left on your fridge.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Cottage cheese is an ingredient; a Whopper is prepared food you bought ninety seconds ago. There's obviously a difference. Would you really give a shit if one of your roommates spread half a tablespoon of cottage cheese on their bagel or something? I'm not saying you shouldn't be pissed if they regularly and significantly clean out food you bought, but the fast food restaurant analogy is silly. Are they eating sandwiches you bought and left in the refrigerator?
So it's silly because it took someone else 2 minutes to prepare? It took me longer than that to walk through the store to buy it. I can wait 2 minutes for someone to make me another one at burger king, and pay for it again. Or I can walk over to the dairy aisle, then walk up to the register, and pay for my cottage cheese again. Either way it's food and it's mine.

Depends on the girls of course, but in my experience, on average, they tend to be messier (far messier) than guy roomates. They will not take out the garbage with a man in the house, they will not clean the bathroom, they will sometimes do dishes, and clothes/underwear will be fucking everywhere, all of the time.

Yes, her room usually looked like a bomb went off in it, haha. But she was pretty neat and considerate in the common areas.

So it's silly because it took someone else 2 minutes to prepare? It took me longer than that to walk to the store and buy it.

What's the endgame here? Will you insist he buys you more cottage cheese or just make it known, in verbal form, that you don't like having your food be eaten?

So it's silly because it took someone else 2 minutes to prepare? It took me longer than that to walk through the store to buy it.

Yes because there could easily be an unwritten understanding that you're allowed to use ingredients to make food, within reason. If I bought half a pound of sliced cheese I wouldn't expect each of my roommates to buy their own half a pound if they felt like throwing a slice of cheese on a sandwich once in a while. I would expect them to cover it themselves next time if they ended up using a bunch of mine. If you have three or four roommates, should there really be three or four loaves of bread in the apartment? Really?

oneils

That's so hilarious that it's almost hard to forget that the person that left the note is breaking the law

That's why I'm 99.99% sure that its fake. I hope no one is that dumb. Smarter thing is to go through with the plan and never tell anyone.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yes because there could easily be an unwritten understanding that you're allowed to use ingredients to make food, within reason. If I bought half a pound of sliced cheese I wouldn't expect each of my roommates to buy their own half a pound if they felt like throwing a slice of cheese on a sandwich once in a while. I would expect them to cover it themselves next time if they ended up using a bunch of mine. If you have three or four roommates, should there really be three or four loaves of bread in the apartment? Really?
I see what you're saying (although I disagree with cottage cheese being an "ingredient"). Ideally that would work with some items. When I moved in I said "hey I don't care if you guys use smaller stuff like spices or butter or cooking oil or condiments, but if you use a bunch of something replace it". That didn't work, no one replaces ANYTHING, they just wait for someone else to buy it again. Suddenly my hot sauce bottle is completely empty after I used it once and I wait two months to see if anyone will replace it and no one does so I have to. Same thing with every type of food item I have, prepared or not. Entire unopened packages of oatmeal, chips, meat, frozen meals, prepared leftovers get used and never replaced. Who the fuck eats someone's else's steak (leftover or not) and thinks that's okay?

Plus the fact that I have a specific diet because I lift weights and I don't need to be eating most of the stuff they have.

Oh man, that brings back memories. It's the hair everywhere.

<Walks into bathroom one morning, half-asleep>
"I don't remember a bath rug being there before."
<Flips on light switch, on closer inspection>
AGGHHH

I see what you're saying (although I disagree with cottage cheese being an "ingredient"). Ideally that would work with some items. When I moved in I said "hey I don't care if you guys use smaller stuff like spices or butter or cooking oil or condiments, but if you use a bunch of something replace it". That didn't work, no one replaces ANYTHING, they just wait for someone else to buy it again. Suddenly my hot sauce bottle is completely empty after I used it once and I wait two months to see if anyone will replace it and no one does so I have to. Same thing with every type of food item I have, prepared or not. Entire unopened packages of oatmeal, chips, meat, frozen meals, prepared leftovers get used and never replaced. Who the fuck eats someone's else's steak (leftover or not) and thinks that's okay?

Plus the fact that I have a specific diet because I lift weights and I don't need to be eating most of the stuff they have.

I can understand the frustration but have you honestly enforced the idea that this behaviour is acceptable to you? Your long list of already eaten foods suggested you haven't spoken up about it. You said you waited two months to see if they replaced it and you eventually caved. Why didn't you just ask them there and then to replace it? You sound as if you're expecting them to know it's not ok. It'll be ok for them as long as they feel there is nothing wrong with it. By not telling them it bothers you, you are reinforcing their behaviour.

This isn't to say this is what has happened, merely how it sounds to me.

You don't even need notes or anything. Just let them know it bothers you. Tell them how you've let if fly up until now but things need to change.

Barrage

If I had a roomate that wrote a note like Timedog's, i'd feel embarassed for them. Writing "You don't know what i'm capable of", Liam Neelson in Taken-like notes, while zig-zagging around the common sense solution of talking to your roomates like a human being. Ugh. Every awkward living situation I have seen-or been in-are always started by bullshit power moves like this.

yeah id be pissed off as fuck too but passive aggressive notes only make shit worse

just tell them all when they get back to stop eating your shit

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I can understand the frustration but have you honestly enforced the idea that this behaviour is acceptable to you? Your long list of already eaten foods suggested you haven't spoken up about it. You said you waited two months to see if they replaced it and you eventually caved. Why didn't you just ask them there and then to replace it? You sound as if you're expecting them to know it's not ok. It'll be ok for them as long as they feel there is nothing wrong with it. By not telling them it bothers you, you are reinforcing their behaviour.

This isn't to say this is what has happened, merely how it sounds to me.

You don't even need notes or anything. Just let them know it bothers you. Tell them how you've let if fly up until now but things need to change.
I expect people to not be assholes, yes. I'm talking with them about it when I see them, I already said that.

If I had a roomate that wrote a note like Timedog's, i'd feel embarassed for them. Writing "You don't know what i'm capable of", Liam Neelson in Taken-like notes, while zig-zagging around the common sense solution of talking to your roomates like a human being. Ugh. Every awkward living situation I have seen-or been in-are always started by bullshit power moves like this.

It would have been "started" by me writing a note, not by other people being fucking assholes? You sound like the terrible roommate that gets justifiably angry notes written about them, then complains about how the living situation is "awkward" for you, when it was awkward for everyone else except you prior to that point because of your rudeness.

Kwixotik

I'm studying abroad in an apartment with 5 other people. I have one roommate. This morning I woke up to a text from my friend warning me that the study abroad program director was going to come to my apartment later to yell at my roommate and me for not helping out with housework enough, in response to a complaint from one or more of the apartment-mates to her. The friend told me not to tell anyone she'd warned me because they didn't want to tell me.

The funny thing is that none of my apartment-mates had ever complained to me before that they thought I didn't do enough housework because they're all spineless vaginas. So, as I'm leaving with my roommate at 5pm to go get some food, we pass them and go out the door. They are unaware that we know about the meeting and don't say anything to us. We happened to run into the program director on the street while we were out. She asked why we're not at the apartment for our 5pm meeting. Of course, we tell her we had no idea that a meeting was supposed to take place today.

She tells us to follow her back to the apartment, so we do. When we walk in, I take a seat in the middle of the room. The most spineless pussy-footer of my apartment-mates is giving me this shit-eating evil grin, which is quickly wiped off his face as the program director confirms that none of them had even told us the meeting was supposed to happen and proceeds to chew them out for their passive aggression. It was pretty hilarious, except one of them guessed that my friend had warned me beforehand because she thought us "trying to escape" at 5pm was too much of a coincidence so now my apartment-mates are passive aggressively pissed off at my friend.

Anyway, that's my roommate venting for today.

LCGeek

formerly sane
How hard is it to not be an asshole? I'm about to put this on my shared fridge.

cxbAZ.jpg

It's not hard at all, but for most like that they simply don't care. Put it up and let it be known there consequences for this shit. Stealing food especially good food is like stealing it's worse since often enough take out or certain items I get from the store have nasty premiums on it compared to cheaper stuff.

If it gets bad just get another small fridge and lock it up had to do that during my college years. Believe me these types rarely change save yourself the trouble if the warning doesn't work.

DMeisterJ

Banned

If this has been going on for months, then you should have already had a conversation with your roomates. Or just put stuff in your room, especially stuff that doesn't need refrigeration. Oatmeal/Chips/Condiments can easily go in your room, and buy a mini-fridge for cottage cheese, frozen meals, and leftovers. And then make it clear that things in the freezer that are yours shouldn't be eaten unless asked.

The fact that you allowed this to become this big of an issue is an issue in of itself. Don't let things build up and then boil over in a conversation where you're bringing up stuff from months ago that has happened to you. Deal with issues as they come, and A) they won't build up, and B) they won't be issues in the future. In short, man up. And in shorter short, it shouldn't have taken this long for you to converse with your roomates about this.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I understand Timedog's course of action and agree with him. His tuff guy posts kind of make me want to start some shit with him at the same time though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm talking with them about it when I see them

?? Have you presented them with a notarized letter formally declaring your intentions for verbal communication yet? If not, I'd advise against jumping into such a drastic measure.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
?? Have you presented them with a notarized letter formally declaring your intentions for verbal communication yet? If not, I'd advise against jumping into such a drastic measure.

I texted them saying we need to talk about food eating issues. No clue when that will be since half the time after work they just go to bars and show up at 3am (probably when they're eating my food) to hit the sack.

I expect people to not be assholes, yes. I'm talking with them about it when I see them, I already said that.

Yeah but, to them, they don't feel as though they are being assholes. You let this behaviour become acceptable. Don't like it when they eat your goat's cheese? You tll them once it happens. You don't say nothing and let it appen time and time again (as you have done). How does a dog know not to shit indoors? By training it as soon as it makes those mistakes. You can't expect to teach the dog not to shit indoors when you haven't done anything about it for a few months.

So, when the dog shits in your house for the 10th tme, and you scold it, how is it supposed to know it had done something wrong the 100th time when really it was wrong for every other time too? It's your fault you haven't told them the behaviour bothers you. Expect resonses from them such as;

"Oh ok, I figured you'd have said something before now if it is a problem to you"

Edit: Saying "it's you fault" is a bit much I'll admit. I'm sure other roommates would simply not eat your stuff unless offered. It's they're fault for eating the food yeah.

Riggs

Banned
Seriously I don't know what's wrong with me but I love TimeDog.

Also OP , do your room mates know their living with TimeDog? Because that may make a difference in this situation. I am not sure if that difference will be a positive or a negative thing though.

Good post though this shit has me laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom