• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

What do you get for killing a Phantom? One time while I was invading as a Forest Hunter, I received 170k souls when another Forest Hunter killed a Phantom.

I've noticed that as well, if you invade that way, I think you get half of what the host gets, kind of like a co op phantom. I've invaded as Darkwraith in forest and a blue phantom gets killed, I get souls as if I was a co op phantom.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just found that I've been making my life so hard for no reason. After meeting the giant blacksmith that I completely missed somehow, I upgraded to a Lighting Zweinhander. I was able to beat the Crystal Cave boss on the first try. I also made more progress after opening the giant gates at New Londo.

I was doing great but then a stupid message said illusory wall ahead, so I rolled expecting to see a treasure or a bonfire but instead fell from a cliff to my death. Fuckers.

Guevara

Just found that I've been making my life so hard for no reason. After meeting the giant blacksmith that I completely missed somehow, I upgraded to a Lighting Zweinhander. I was able to beat the Crystal Cave boss on the first try. I also made more progress after opening the giant gates at New Londo.

I was doing great but then a stupid message said illusory wall ahead, so I rolled expecting to see a treasure or a bonfire but instead fell from a cliff to my death. Fuckers.

I was just here. I can't get that last
blue slab
on the weird invisible path. Otherwise Seath was pretty easy with a lightning weapon. Not only is lightning overpowered in this game, but I believe dragons are especially weak to lightning.

Is it worth to go for Darkwraith+4? Just got level 2, wondering if the rest levels have any worthwhile items. Or should I just switch to some other covenant? Invading is very fun but I might prefer co-oping.

Sullichin

Is it worth to go for Darkwraith+4? Just got level 2, wondering if the rest levels have any worthwhile items. Or should I just switch to some other covenant? Invading is very fun but I might prefer co-oping.

The good news is you can co-op with the white stone no matter your covenant. Your Dark Hand can grab more humanity at level 3; I think that's the last reward. Unless you already have 99 active humanity i'd just keep the humanity you get from invading active to up your defense. Or get the lost izalith shortcut if you wanna skip the beginning of that area.

The good news is you can co-op with the white stone no matter your covenant. Your Dark Hand can grab more humanity at level 3; I think that's the last reward. Unless you already have 99 active humanity i'd just keep the humanity you get from invading active to up your defense. Or get the lost izalith shortcut if you wanna skip the beginning of that area.

Yeah, I know I can co-op with the soapstone but I was talking about Sunlight/Way Of White/Princess Guard etc. things. I guess I'll switch to something.

Booshka

Yeah, I know I can co-op with the soapstone but I was talking about Sunlight/Way Of White/Princess Guard etc. things. I guess I'll switch to something.

Best thing to do is to join Darkwraiths, buy 198 Cracked orbs, then join Sunbros. That way you can invade and enjoy jolly cooperation. Darkwraith +3 is pretty awesome, if you can Dark Hand someone and steal 10 Humanity at a time, you will get some very angry messages from people that had all their humanity sapped while they were AFK.

Sunlight covenant is definitely the one to join for co-op then. What SL are you?

80, finished everything expect DR/TOTG/Archieves/Crystal Cave, first playthrough.

Best thing to do is to join Darkwraiths, buy 198 Cracked orbs, then join Sunbros. That way you can invade and enjoy jolly cooperation. Darkwraith +3 is pretty awesome, if you can Dark Hand someone and steal 10 Humanity at a time, you will get some very angry messages from people that had all their humanity sapped while they were AFK.

Yeah Sunbros sounds like a good idea! Thanks both of you.

dosh

I was just here. I can't get that last
blue slab
on the weird invisible path. Otherwise Seath was pretty easy with a lightning weapon. Not only is lightning overpowered in this game, but I believe dragons are especially weak to lightning.

They are :)
As for your
slab
problem, I'd go back to the female undead merchant and buy 99 prism stones. They're really super useful for that particular part. And if you really just want to get it and call it a day, you can follow this map. IIRC, the path displayed on the official guide map is not really accurate. This one is.

I totally didn't expect to breeze through NG+ like i am right now. I've played for about 4 hours and i'm already at Anor Londo. None of the bosses have presented any issue at all - not that i'm complaining. :) It's so much fun to go through the game with little stress and take in the atmosphere. I'm sure i'll hit a wall at some point, though.

Guevara

I totally didn't expect to breeze through NG+ like i am right now. I've played for about 4 hours and i'm already at Anor Londo. None of the bosses have presented any issue at all - not that i'm complaining. :) It's so much fun to go through the game with little stress and take in the atmosphere. I'm sure i'll hit a wall at some point, though.

What kind of built are you going with?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
winged spear +10 and im at the blacksmith in undead parish. when i try to ascend the spear i can only go back down to +5....why cant i make it a lightning based winged spear? what am i missing, or am i at the wrong place

Sullichin

I still have to beat the Seath dragon myself. But I suppose I'll try there right after I beat him.

You can always co-op in someone else's world for practice/humanity first. But yeah I'm laying my summon stone there at SL83 on PS3 right now, and I'm getting summoned pretty frequently.

hao chi

That's what NG+ was like for me. Then I got to Ornstein and Smough.

dosh

And you shall find that wall in New Londo Ruins. Four Kings has been my worst nightmare on ng+. I had read on Gaf that it would be hard, way harder than the ng version. The kings delivered.

Wowbagger

I'm playing through NG+6 atm, with the goal of eventually beating all rounds where enemies scale up. I thought I'd read that NG+7 is the last round where they do that, but now I can't seem to find info on this anywhere (checked both wikis). Does anyone here know?

Edit: Found the answer in the strategy guide. NG+6 is the last with harder enemies.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
lol so i spend a bunch of time farming shards to get my spear up to +10 so i could hopefully then turn it into a lightning spear at the blacksmith before Sens Fortress. Wrong...that blacksmith doesnt create lightning weapons. So i took a chance and went through some of Sens Fortress and got to the 1st mimic, and when i killed it, he dropped......a lightning spear.

Damn i love this game....hahaha

MrWisker

I'm playing through NG+6 atm, with the goal of eventually beating all rounds where enemies scale up. I thought I'd read that NG+7 is the last round where they do that, but now I can't seem to find info on this anywhere (checked both wikis). Does anyone here know?

Edit: Found the answer in the strategy guide. NG+6 is the last with harder enemies.

What SL are you? Just curious as I am planning on this type of play through as well. Currently on NG++ with a SL 41 character.

dosh

whats the reasonning behind that ? whats the advantage of stayin low level ?

I don't know about MrWisker's reasons, but if you're into coop, having a low level character is a great way to have a lot of people summoning you, whether they are on ng, ng+, ng++, etc.
I'm on my second ng++ with a SL55 character, and when I want to help other players, I rarely have to wait more than two minutes before being summoned, regardless of the level or location.

Wowbagger

What SL are you? Just curious as I am planning on this type of play through as well. Currently on NG++ with a SL 41 character.

I was level 100 until the start of NG+6. Now I'm level 120. Part of me wish I had resisted the temptation to go beyond 100. 80-120 seems like the perfect range for high level co-op. I've been too busy going through the game to find out how frequently I will be summoned at 120, though.

Is this "painted world" I keep hearing about part of the main game?

Something like that. It is an important part of the story for me, even though its optional. Read if you want to know how to get there.

From Wikidot:
To access this area, you'll need the Peculiar Doll. With that, you will be able to enter the very large painting in Anor Londo. The Doll is in the cell where the game started, in Undead Asylum. the doll can be acquired without fighting Stray Demon, so long as you don't fall in.

Pakkidis

MEGA newbie here, never played demon souls or dark souls and I'm about to jump in for my first time in a few weeks. Best class to start with? Tips? recommendations?

MEGA newbie here, never played demon souls or dark souls and I'm about to jump in for my first time in a few weeks. Best class to start with? Tips? recommendations?

I suggest pyro as some of the early bosses are vulnerable to fire. Also pyromancy flame does not scale with any stats. So you can shape your character as you like.

Sullichin

I agree with valentine71 that pyro is a good starting class.

Is there no way out of Anor Londo until I beat the two bosses at once?

You can go back the way you came and the gargoyle will take you back to Sen's Fortress.

Solo

You can go back the way you came and the gargoyle will take you back to Sen's Fortress.

Thank christ! Otherwise I would be completely boned - I have no humanity and have never upgraded my Estus flask, so I'm trying to beat the two baddies with only 5 Estus shots, without success.

Soulhouf

Thank christ! Otherwise I would be completely boned - I have no humanity and have never upgraded my Estus flask, so I'm trying to beat the two baddies with only 5 Estus shots, without success.

You can also be summoned and get 1 humanity when you succeed at beating the boss with the host.
It's a good way to practice and get humanity/souls.

Booshka

Created a few new characters for the sole purpose of co op with friends. Pretty fun to jump from character to character to play with different friends through every boss.

Booshka

Besides Four Kings, is there any good spot for coop with a level 151 sunbro? Anor Londo is giving me nothing these days.

You might have better luck at earlier places like Gargoyles and Quelagg, players on NG+'s with high level characters might get you there. It's tough though, most players aren't at that level if they have 120 PvP characters that are going through NG+'s. You can also try other late game areas like Demon Ruins, Duke's and ToTG. I'm surprised that Anor Londo is not more active though.

Solo

Finally beat Ornstein, get Smough down to one hit til death, then he kills me...........FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Inanna

Not pure anymore!

When it says Illusionary wall ahead, you're supposed to hit it with your sword not roll into it!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Holy fucking crap, what a great session I just finished. I made it to the bottom of the catacombs, then pretty close to the boss' hideout I got invaded by some dude who I just nailed with the almighty Zweinhander and I got 24k souls. Then after that I proceeded to destroy Nito on my first try.

Goddamn, after so much work put into my character, it's awesome to finally feel like a badass. I also finished the Great Hollow Part and joined the Dragon covenant (whatever that means).

Looks like my quest to finish the game this week is on a solid track. Now on to the Four Kings.

MrWisker

Being a bit of an asshole right now. Gravelording right in front of the Seth boss door. Figure if people want to fight me they should have to go through some black phantom critters first. May not get many hits (or none at all), but I need to clean the room so at least I will be busy.

Grinchy

Banned
A few times when someone has put the "illusory wall" message in front of a wall that isn't, I hack away at it a few times before I feel stupid. Then I get my revenge on other unsuspecting folks by doing the same thing.

The thought of someone slicing at a wall for no reason just cracks me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom