• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

S1kkZ

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Thats another issue, seems some reviews claim the game is too easy and wish it was harder. So who to beleive here? :lol
maybe it gets easier later on, but so far (5 hours in) its pretty challenging.

but i am only having trouble with the standard enemies, the puzzles and bosses are pretty easy.

S1kkZ said:
maybe it gets easier later on, but so far (5 hours in) its pretty challenging.

but i am only having trouble with the standard enemies, the puzzles and bosses are pretty easy.

Well I'm thinking of just starting the game on hard if thats an option. Or does it have to be unlocked?

Truant

FunkyPajamas said:
Oh, god, you just unsold me on this game. I played Shadowman 2 on the ps2 and I hated that game to death. It was supposed to be a cool tomb raider/soul reaver-like exploration game with vodoo elements thrown in the mix, but oh god I hated hated hated that game.

Sorry if that came out the wrong way, I'm not attacking your tastes or anything, I just couldn't get into the game for some reason (maybe all the cursing and the gameplay and levels felt bland to me, I don't really remember).

There's no demo coming for this, right?

Dude, Shadowman 1 compared to Shadowman 2 is like comparing Terminator 2 to Terminator 3, or something. The first game is basically an awesome dark Zelda/Soul Reaver game, while the second is truly awful.

About an hour in on the US PS3 version, and holy shit is the game fun.

This wasn't really even on my radar, but I saw it at Wal-mart early and figured I'd pick it up.

Combat is fluid and fun. The lock-on targeting is almost exactly like OoT's Z-targeting, and I'm a big fan of it so far.

Technically, I don't see any of the problems that people are talking about on the 360 version. No screen tearing and frame rate seems pretty solid. Looks great on my HDTV.

The game's awesome. Buy it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
IGN UK Review

8.9 (both platforms)

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1057715p1.html

Closing Comments
It's this level polish and creative assuredness that really make Darksiders such a delight in the end. It's bold and recklessly inventive in ways that games rarely are these days, and virtually ever aspect of Darksiders shines with quality, making for an experience that, while not exactly original, still feels fresh, satisfying and, above all else, enjoyable. It's far from the soulless fighter THQ's marketing would have you believe and the deft mix of combat, platforming and puzzle-solving makes for an action adventure that genuinely does feel like an epic endeavour. It's a genre too few developers try their hand at these days and one that's rarely done well. Despite some flaws, Darksiders is an expertly designed, frequently dazzling spectacle - and if it really is the first in a series as Vigil suggests, we're genuinely looking forward to seeing more.

9.0 Presentation
It's an incredibly polished game that's of consistently high-quality in virtually every area.

9.0 Graphics
Vigil has crafted a stunning world that's brought to life with colour, imagination and minute attention to detail from character design to animation.

8.0 Sound
Music is suitably bombastic in battle, atmospheric elsewhere and voice work is rock solid, if largely unspectacular.

8.5 Gameplay
Huge variety means that while some aspect aren't as strong as others, the core components of fighting and puzzling are masterfully handled.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
On average difficulty there's a 15+ hour adventure here and plenty more if you want to hunt out Darksiders' myriad secrets.

OsciBosci

Neo Member
Review in PSX EXTREME ( polish biggest consoles magazine )

Graphics 8
Sound 8
Gameplay 7

Overall 7+

The Good:
- Game time
- logistic elements
- interestng theme

The bad:
- Not smooth graphic
- simple fight system

Overall:

Good new IP, good perspectives for the future.

Feindflug

S1kkZ said:
like i said, they could do it with a patch (saints row 1 did it as well).
but hey: if you only have a 360 and you can live with the heavy tearing, its ok.
if you have both plattforms, you should wait for a comparison, maybe the ps3 version has other flaws?

i played for 3 hours now and the framerate gets a little better (or i got used to it).

I didn't know that Saints Row added the v-synced option with a patch - well there is still hope I guess to fix it (hopefully the Vigil's dude account will be active soon to give us some answers) because from what I played it's a really cool game and it's a shame to be plagued with these technical issues - and yes it has maybe the worst tearing I've seen this gen - it's even worse than Call of Juarez: BiB or Battlefield: BC.

Anyone with the two systems should wait for a comparison from DigitalFoundry or Lens of Truth.

Amir0x

Banned
ZealousD said:

IGN UK said:
Borrowing heavily from Zelda's structure, you traverse the land, work your way through a dungeon, find a magical item, kill a boss then start the whole process over again. There's a deft split between high-quality combat, platforming and more cerebral puzzle-solving throughout and it ensures the game always moves along at a brisk pace. It's impressive in its level of sheer inventiveness too and - steering clear of too many spoilers - this is nowhere more apparent than in Darksiders' labyrinthine, elaborate dungeons. They're all uniformly excellent, featuring increasingly clever puzzles that make use of your ever-expanding arsenal in some ingenious ways. From simple block-shifting and lever-pulling to sprawling cavern-sized puzzle rooms that tax the grey matter with their brain-crushing complexity, it's yet another area where Vigil displays superb design prowess.

Oh fuck me. I don't care for IGN, but just the DESCRIPTION makes me drool. It sounds like it totally is my Zelda fix! OH BOY OH BOY!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I'm basically in the same boat as you.
This game's hidden awesomeness blindsided me, and now I'm super-hyped for it.

Amir0x

Banned
On the one hand, I'm super hyped now.

On the other hand, I don't think people understand the gravity of comparing a game to Zelda. If I get Darksiders and the dungeon and puzzle design is weak shit compared to Zelda, I'm gonna be PISSED :lol

sheeeit.

I had both this and bayonetta in hand at sears tonight and their register denies the sale..

Who would have thought sears with their back assword 1982 computer registers would know better!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Would it be too late to pre-order this and get the artbook and all that good stuff from EB? It seems like there's even an in-game weapon you can only get that way -_-.

Tokubetsu

Snapshot King said:
Would it be too late to pre-order this and get the artbook and all that good stuff from EB? It seems like there's even an in-game weapon you can only get that way -_-.

The weapon is a reskin of an already ingame item with a bonus attribute. The code is universal though and Zealous will add it to the OP once it's out.

bdouble

SonOfABeep said:
sheeeit.

I had both this and bayonetta in hand at sears tonight and their register denies the sale..

Who would have thought sears with their back assword 1982 computer registers would know better!

I would have been pissed. That is dumb. They shouldn't have put it out then.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amir0x said:

On the other hand, I don't think people understand the gravity of comparing a game to Zelda. If I get Darksiders and the dungeon and puzzle design is weak shit compared to Zelda, I'm gonna be PISSED :lol

Reviews seem to be pretty unanimous in their praise.
For the most part. It's a good sign.

KevinCow

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
The weapon is a reskin of an already ingame item with a bonus attribute. The code is universal though and Zealous will add it to the OP once it's out.
It's already in the OP.

Well, I still want that artbook, and they're doing free shipping and I got a gift card, so I did it anyway. But thanks for the quick reply guys!

dani_dc

Oh wow, I had no idea this game existed.

I had seen the cover of the game before but I had no idea what it was,much less that it was supposed to be good.

Basically, title and the comparisons with Zelda sold me on this though, there aren't enough adventure games in the market :D

Will get :D

Phenomic

You are not alone Sonofabeep, local Wal-mart also had the game on the shelf they also denied me a copy. Yet evidently someone overrode it and sold a copy to Ando a few posts above. I understand it was put out in error and they are not suppose to sell it but I still feel like Wal-mart does me wrong with customer service anytime I go our local locations. Wish I could just skip the middle-man and go hand 65 bucks to the developers over at Vigil and offer them cash with a Thank You for developing what looks like an amazing title.

Next week cannot come soon enough now.

Nemesis_

I CAN'T TAKE OUT THE HELICOPTER AT THE BEGINNING AND GET MY SWEET SWEET FIVE GAMERPOINTS.

Anyone got any pointers? I just can't lock on to it? >_>

KevinCow

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
I CAN'T TAKE OUT THE HELICOPTER AT THE BEGINNING AND GET MY SWEET SWEET FIVE GAMERPOINTS.

Anyone got any pointers? I just can't lock on to it? >_>

I think clicking the right stick goes into manual aim mode.

Spike

MacBosse said:
There is really no reason to say that here is there?

Sure there is. Bastard pirates get to play this almost a week earlier than legitimate customers. Pisses me off to no end.

Canova

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
sheeeit.

oh that's a mean joke Sears playing with their customer. I would've screamed bloody customer mistreatment in the register. I would go all out with threats to the customer protection agency, media, radio station. I would go all apeshit.

I have to many games on my backlog, but im gonna go ahead a purchase this next week in support of vigil games. I havnt read a single thing on this game, only know it works off the zelda formula, dungeon, item, puzzles, boss. I wanna go into this game fresh. Cant fuckin wait!!!!

Smokey

The game looks pretty damn good from the footage I saw.

Just curious, what would I need to directly stream in HD like they are doing?

SamBishop

Banned
Amir0x said:

The dungeon designs are exceptional -- particularly some of the final ones. It's one of the biggest reasons why I loved the game.

glaurung

Has there been any word on new game+ features?

I mean, is it possible to grind through the game on normal and then carry over all items and moves into the final difficulty setting (apocalyptic iirc)?

koji

K, so this was slipping under the radar (probably due to that name and boxart etc), but those RPGesque features and Zelda references peaked my interest.

Hype level rising!

(pre-order placed)

Amir0x

Banned
SamBishop said:
The dungeon designs are exceptional -- particularly some of the final ones. It's one of the biggest reasons why I loved the game.

If it's not too much to ask, how many dungeons are in this game would you say?

All these impressions are making killin' me. All this time to think nothing of this Darksiders game for it to go almost immediately to one of my most anticipated games in the span of a week, and only shortly before its release, is crazy.

Top Bottom