• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

Kevin

Well that was an amazing pilot. If the entire series is of this quality then Starz will have something incredible on it's hands. Let's hope it performs well in ratings and lives to see another season.

Well...that sure was something.

A gorgeous fascinating top-notch something.

I only ever read part of American Gods and this was that translated to the screen as if it was pulled directly from my imagination. Fuller captured the grandeur and style of the page and brought it to the screen immaculately

Monocle

I'll be deliberately vague, but is it safe to watch this episode if I'm up to the part of the book where Shadow meets the sisters? I want to experience the book version of the story first but I'm starved for some Bryan Fuller goodness.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
can't wait to watch this hungover tomorrow
thats if I dont break and watch it before
glad to see the positive reactions

TheOddOne

Series premiere today:
Season 1: episode 1 "The Bone Orchard"

Shadow Moon is released early from his prison sentence, but has no job and no choices. The mysterious Mr. Wednesday approaches Shadow with an offer to become Wednesday's bodyguard, and Shadow accepts.

scarlet

I bought the 10th years Anniversary edition. It's 12k words longer than the original.

Is this show based on the original one? Or thhe 10th years edition?

Pixieking

Banned
I bought the 10th years Anniversary edition. It's 12k words longer than the original.

Is this show based on the original one? Or thhe 10th years edition?

Prooooooobablyyyyyy the 10th Anniversary edition, since that is also the Author's Preferred edition, and Gaiman has had a fair bit of input in the show, I believe.

Yaska

Have to wait 'til tomorrow before Amazon airs it in EU, judging from comments it'll be worth the wait.

Jag

Don't know Ian McShane from his other work, but he's just channeling Pacino from The Devil's Advocate. Fantastic job.

I'll be deliberately vague, but is it safe to watch this episode if I'm up to the part of the book where Shadow meets the sisters? I want to experience the book version of the story first but I'm starved for some Bryan Fuller goodness.

You'll be fine. The first episode is very faithful to the opening act of the book and doesn't have anything you haven't read yet.

Krowley

I haven't read the book in years and I am glad they're expanding on it. I trust Bryan Fuller to pull it off.

Yep, this is one of my favorite books, but I'm totally fine with them making lots of changes and beefing things up. There are a lot of really cool ideas in the book that could benefit from a more extensive exploration.

The underlying concept is a great platform for a TV series. You could go in all sorts of directions with it.

Mr. Hyde

Yep, this is one of my favorite books, but I'm totally fine with them making lots of changes and beefing things up. There are a lot of really cool ideas in the book that could benefit from a more extensive exploration.

The underlying concept is a great platform for a TV series. You could go in all sorts of directions with it.

I agree! I wish they'd also make a high budget Neverwhere series since the movie never happened. That's probably my favorite gaiman novel.

WHOA WHOA WHOA. There is a 10th Anniversary Edition? Should I stop my read-through now and go pick up that one instead? Has anyone here read it and the original who can comment on the new one?

Kahoona

Man, that was excellent. I remember not liking the book all that much, but the show is fantastic. It makes me appreciate the book more.

Fuck that was incredible. I don't really know what else to say other than as someone who places the book in my top 10 of all time, I'm super happy.

taoofjord

Holy shit that was so good. I so hope the quality of the first episode is maintained, they sure set the bar high already. It's got all the style of the director did Immortals and The Cell but it's way more competent. And fucking wow, Ian McShane is killing it as usual. Actually most the the performances are top notch. Really dig the casting so far.

I also think this show has serious potential to be huge.

Shy

Just watched the first ep. Really liked it.

Though i wished i could just marathon all the episodes right now.

I mean, i could be dead by the end of the season, then how will i know what happens. LOL.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ian McShane has such a commanding presence. As soon as he appears on screen, you just have to watch him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Notes about the premier, relative to the books.

1) They took care of the prison segment pretty quickly
2) Changed the nature of his crime, I'm not sure why
3) Introducing Wednesday with a grift was an interesting change and probably better than how it was handled in the book
4) I'm not sure what was the point of giving him an extra delay during his first flight, although it's pretty funny in light of United's recent shenanigans how an ex-con got bumped to first class
5) Shadow comes off as a bit of a meat head here especially when he tells Laura's grave how he spent prison improving himself for her, he was portrayed as more of a reclusive intellect (not learned, but not exactly dumb either) in the books, and Wednesday mentions as much that Shadow is the kind of person to look dumb on purpose
6) Sweeney's coin trick was fantastic and Schreiber did a great job with the role
7) Bilquis' scene made much more sense than I had thought it would, and also they updated her from a
hooker
to someone trawling Tinder
8) Audrey was improved as a character. In the books she just seems vindictive. Here she's more of a tragic figure
9) I remember people groaning over Robbie's casting but we haven't even seen him yet lmao
10) Ian McShane is great, I wish he had a beard but it's going to be so fun watching him pull off grifts
11) The buffalo vision was changed from a
minotaur like man-buffalo
to a straight up buffalo
12) In the book
Shadow was left off at his motel amicably
, wondering where they go with this

First impressions here got me hype! I have access to the epidode on demand already but I'm just going to wait and watch to join the discussion live

I wonder when this goes up on Amazon Prime (UK)? They have only said May 1st so far. I guess they will not go before the US airing... I would like it at midnight though... even if I know it won't happen.

Shy

I wonder when this goes up on Amazon Prime (UK)? They have only said May 1st so far. I guess they will not go before the US airing... I would like it at midnight though... even if I know it won't happen.
Probably 8am, like Vikings and some other shows.

hydruxo

I've had that
'Torture'
song stuck in my head all day that
plays when Shadow goes to that park to scream
lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That was great. Very Hannibal visually and musically. Not a real complaint. But I did think the opening narrator mangled a few lines.

Can't wait for next week.

Bonus: I have forgotten everything about the book.

It is definitely a feast for the eyes but the 1st episode seems more style over substance. It felt like a 30 minute episode stretched out way too long.

Man I'm finding it so hard to get into new shows, I got this and that other show the women in dystopian america. Hella hard to just start them for some reason

~Kinggi~

Banned
So as someone who knows nothing about the book, i have no idea what that was. I think this show is gonna have some issues in ratings. Thats not to say though that i didnt really like it, but im not a normal viewer. Plus i love Hannibal.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My neighbors are coming over to watch this cause they don't have Starz. Curious to see what their reactions will be, they're not familiar with the book at all.

I hope we get more of Jonathan Tucker. Very underrated actor. He plays these idiosyncratic characters so well. He was the the orderly who was obsessed with Will in Hannibal, and Boone in the final season of Justified. Dude can turn the creep factor up to 11 in a second. Very intense.

Top Bottom