• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER |OT| THE BEETLE'S ROCK BAND - HIGHWAY TO HELL!

So heads up that on Steam, builds of this game seem to expire after a certain amount of time. I was keeping Steam in offline mode because my internet is slow, and the game suddenly started crashing on startup.

I did a bit of googling and someone suggested changing the computer's clock, and... well, it actually worked.

I consider this kind of thing malicious. My purchase is basically on a time-bomb. I generally expect better from indie developers.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So heads up that on Steam, builds of this game seem to expire after a certain amount of time. I was keeping Steam in offline mode because my internet is slow, and the game suddenly started crashing on startup.

I did a bit of googling and someone suggested changing the computer's clock, and... well, it actually worked.

I consider this kind of thing malicious. My purchase is basically on a time-bomb. I generally expect better from indie developers.

Wow, should bring attention to it on the Steam forums... if it's indeed done on purpose I would find that disgusting.

FyreWulff

i don't think they got around to making steam offline mode consistently for all games yet

VanWinkle

I have to be honest, the OP kind of turned me off from the game, but I LOVE rhythm games. I just don't know if I want to be uncomfortable and sweating and all this crazy stuff.

Dipship31

I just finished the first level getting S-rank in handheld mode and yes I can see why this game is getting so much praise and exactly why it would be so amazing in VR

EDarkness

I have put in a couple of hours and I'm not very good at this game. The end of level 3 wrecked me and I was about to give up after more than 20 minutes of trying to break the three barriers. I managed to do it, but I didn't feel good about it. Seems like there's a lot to know about the game that it really doesn't tell you about. I still don't know how people get some insane multipliers, because jumping over the checkpoint didn't seems to do anything for me but flash my track red.

Gonna try level 4 at some point, but I'm worried I'll never make it past level 5. Heh, heh.

Seems like there's a lot to know about the game that it really doesn't tell you about. I still don't know how people get some insane multipliers, because jumping over the checkpoint didn't seems to do anything for me but flash my track red.

Gonna try level 4 at some point, but I'm worried I'll never make it past level 5. Heh, heh.

...Like what? And what's this about jumping over the checkpoint? Is that some kind of risk/reward thing where you keep your score going but risk losing it all if you die?

Downloaded this for Switch earlier this evening and I'm impressed. Played through the first two levels and I have to say, this game is damn intense! It moves so nicely, looks and sounds fantastic, and there is some serious challenge happening in it. I can only imagine what it would be like to play in VR.

I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow!

J@hranimo

Banned
I thought someone said OP was gonna update the OT to reference the Switch's release and XB1 coming soon?

Also they did an AMA on r/Nintendo today. Really interesting stuff.

...Like what? And what's this about jumping over the checkpoint? Is that some kind of risk/reward thing where you keep your score going but risk losing it all if you die?

The way this game works mechanically, I always had this feeling that there were some more advanced techniques to get higher scores. I think jumping over the checkpoints may allude to some sort of jumping technique to hit more of those blue rings for a better multiplier.

Geg

Started today and my thumb was hurting after just the first two levels lol. The HD rumble is great though, this is the kind of game that was made for.

Also I don't know if it's because of camera differences or maybe input lag, but the game feels much easier for me to play and understand in handheld mode than on my tv.

Fumpster

So far I'm really loving this game! I've been meaning to play it for a while, but as soon as they announced a Switch port I decided to wait for it, and I'm glad I did. Having this portable is going to be huge for me. I'm currently on level 4.

A couple questions:

Beyond breaking shields and a satisfying bass drop, is there a reason to use the pound move?

Am I meant to rely on audio cues for the turns or is it better just to register them visually? I can get the audio cues for everything else, but the sound for the turns blends in a bit too seamlessly with the music and as a result I have a hard time seeing them coming occasionally.

Is there ever a penalty for restarting at an earlier checkpoint?

Thanks!

Started today and my thumb was hurting after just the first two levels lol. The HD rumble is great though, this is the kind of game that was made for.

Also I don't know if it's because of camera differences or maybe input lag, but the game feels much easier for me to play and understand in handheld mode than on my tv.

You can assign the action button to two different buttons in the options menu. Might alleviate your thumb problems.

NateDrake

Jumping and pounding can create opportunities for higher scores. Take the opening of Level 3 as an example. If you Jump and pound to break the shield and then play the area clean with an S-rank you should end with about 8,000 pts. If you combo the jump and pound at every opportunity presented, you will end that same sequence with an S-rank and 10,000 points.

derFeef

I was always interested in this game but never bought it. I can see this being a cool Switch game for me despite me having a Vive - it seems to fit that portable game well. But looking at videos - I do not dig the music at all - it does not seem to flow very well? Maybe I watched the wrong videos and someone could sell me more on it? :)

teokrazia

As a huge WipEout fan back in the day, this game really feels like the spiritual successor. Very different in many ways, but it gives me that same feeling of exhilaration and requires those same twitch skills - as well as also having awesome music and an incredibly stylish, futuristic bent.

My exact feelings.
Best WipEout since the end of the 90s.

Jumping and pounding can create opportunities for higher scores. Take the opening of Level 3 as an example. If you Jump and pound to break the shield and then play the area clean with an S-rank you should end with about 8,000 pts. If you combo the jump and pound at every opportunity presented, you will end that same sequence with an S-rank and 10,000 points.

Ok, I wasn't aware jumping and pounding is a thing. I haven't started Level 3 yet.

Are there any tutorials for the pound mechanic? I just got S on every single part of Level 3 and I'm still only in the 50s on the leaderboard.

Okay, I found one. Makes sense, I actually did that once at the final boss. Does the jump/pound combo only work with bosses or do you do that for every single thing you can hit?

EDIT: You can do them with every one. Holy shit I never expected this gameplay to be so dense, this game is bliss

Geg

I think this game is a bit out of my skill level lol. The difficulty spike between levels 3 and 4 is kind of ridiculous; level 4 was fucking brutal for me. I can't imagine what the later levels are like lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I was always interested in this game but never bought it. I can see this being a cool Switch game for me despite me having a Vive - it seems to fit that portable game well. But looking at videos - I do not dig the music at all - it does not seem to flow very well? Maybe I watched the wrong videos and someone could sell me more on it? :)

It fits what you're doing very well. Might not be something you want to listen out of it.

In the moment though it creates an atmosphere like nothing else.

Bought this on the Switch and I'm really enjoying it despite being really bad at rhythm games in general. Every time a new section starts I'm pretty much guaranteed to explode. All the same, it's fun. I just wish my TV had better sound.

Realeza

Banned
This game is sick and feels amazing on a portable. If you guys haven't done it, make sure you increase the volume from within the game.

Kangi

Me in level 2: "How could you possibly get lower than a B?"

Me in level 5: "How could you possibly get higher than a C?"

Finished level 7 earlier. It's gotten to the point where I just internally scream all throughout.

Wozman23

I thought someone said OP was gonna update the OT to reference the Switch's release and XB1 coming soon?

I DID ADD THE SWITCH RELEASE UNDER RELEASE INFO! I GUESS I COULD ADD THE TENTATIVE DATE FOR XBOX ONE AS WELL!

(UPDATE!: I DID!)

I have to be honest, the OP kind of turned me off from the game, but I LOVE rhythm games. I just don't know if I want to be uncomfortable and sweating and all this crazy stuff.

IT DEVOURS ALL OTHER RHYTHM GAMES! IT CHEWS UP THEIR FLESH AND SPITS OUT THEIR BONES! GOING IN EXPECTING SUNSHINE AND ROSES IS LIKE TRYING TO HIDE FROM A TORNADO UNDER AN UMBRELLA! MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY ONE OF THOSE HANNAH MONTANA SINGING GAMES, BUTTERCUP!

phanphare

Banned
just finished the first level and bosses

what the fuck is this game?!?!?! holy shit, I love it. I've seen a ton of gameplay footage and I did not even grasp what it would actually be like to play, glad I purchased. shit was messing with me initially because it feels like for the best execution you have to anticipate the normal subdivisions and hit just a touch early which fucks me up when thinking about it but allows for extreme satisfaction once I get a groove going. it feels like what I imagine on the fly lighting feels like for a concert where you have to account for input lag when hitting changes with the band on stage but you're watching and hearing what's happening and it's so right.

Cerium

I DID ADD THE SWITCH RELEASE UNDER RELEASE INFO! I GUESS I COULD ADD THE TENTATIVE DATE FOR XBOX ONE AS WELL!

If you put a simple banner at the top welcoming new Switch owners, it's sure to make the new players feel more at home.

Wozman23

If you put a simple banner at the top welcoming new Switch owners, it's sure to make the new players feel more at home.

THERE IS NO SAFE PLACE IN THIS |OT|, JUST AS THERE IS NO SAFE PLACE IN THUMPER! THERE ARE NO WELCOME MATS IN HELL! NO BILLBOARDS! THEY WOULD MELT FROM THE EXTREME HEAT! NO ONE SHOULD FEEL AT HOME HERE!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This game is sick and feels amazing on a portable. If you guys haven't done it, make sure you increase the volume from within the game.
Thank you for this. I was wondering why it was so low on volume. Never thought I'd have to check in options to increase the volume. Makes a huge difference!

Loving this game!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can someone explain how scoring works?
Looking at the leaderboards I see people with A rankings double my S ranking score...

J@hranimo

Banned

Great, thanks!

Also I'm at the Level 6 Boss. My god these laser gates are getting tough to deal with at times. Still loving the game, gonna push through Level 7 as much as possible today.

edit: S-Rank Level 6 Boss!

Regiruler

So on level 5-6 there's a bunch of rings right after a turn and no pad to jump off of. There's a pad before it (that's already tricky enough because you have to land before it to jump off it), but nothing after.

HOLY SHIT YOU CAN FLY

Geg

Just beat it today, the final level was some wild shit.

Here's my ranking on the Switch version when I completed it; I expect to get knocked down the rankings as more people finish the game lol

DAjfNYKWAAIOJxe.jpg

CPCunha

I find really interesting how difficulty spikes vary from people to people. You can get stuck on a level for a couple of days while someone else just breezes by...and then its their turn to hit a wall and you're like "...really? I don't even remember that part... did it on my first try."

...subjective rhythm nightmares i'm having with lvl6 boss.....

Disktrasa

Banned
This is one of the easiest games ever made.... said no one ever...

Bought it yesterday on the Switch because the option to take it with me wherever i go.

My brain melted but damn this game is legit, soooooo good!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Firmware 3.0 on Switch significantly increased the volume, and it's magnificient in Thumper: I feel like the Switch will explode in my hands, with the visuals, the Rumble and this sound :-D

RedToad64

Finished the game a few days ago. It was a lot of fun, but the difficulty is definitely a turn off. By the end it was just memorization.

I am taking this game slow but love it. I prefer to play it in handheld mode rather than in docked mode, having the screen closer to me is much more immersive and my reactions are faster than on my 42' TV.

The other day I beat world 3 and half way through 4 and it was really amazing. But yeah, it's getting pretty difficult.

Mr. Hyde

I just grabbed this on Switch and played it handheld with headphones. Wow. The final boss of the first world took me 3-4 tries but it was such a good experience! I love this game. It has great oppressive atmosphere both through sound and visuals.

dickroach

ok, just played this for like 2 or 3 hours with PSVR. A, A, A, and C in the first four levels.

1) using the D-Pad and R1 is so much better/easier than using the analogue stick and X. I didn't realize this till like 20 minutes ago.

2) I REALLY REALLY reaaaaaly wish this was more of a rhythm game. there's like 10 seconds in every level where you really get into a groove, and it feels so good. and that rhythm isn't even dictated by the music, but by the noises of the obstacles you're clearing. and then when those 10 seconds are over it's back to seemingly random track hazards.

3) I don't get those turns that have one of those hoops that generally indicate "jump + hover here" right before them

4) this games really frustrating.

5) playing it in VR is awesome

Link_enfant

I eventually got the game on PS4 Pro, looks insanely good and as expected, I love it.

I just finished level 4 but I was actually wondering if using the left analog stick had any advantage?
I'm always using the D-pad and it seems to be fine but just to be sure :)

deadfolk

I eventually got the game on PS4 Pro, looks insanely good and as expected, I love it.

I just finished level 4 but I was actually wondering if using the left analog stick had any advantage?
I'm always using the D-pad and it seems to be fine but just to be sure :)

I prefer the dpad. For a game like this, the unambiguous input is advantageous.

Top Bottom