• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony And Microsofts Next Generation Racers Rumored

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So, I can infer the PGR stuff from the partial quotes -- but what was the Sony rumor?

A GT spin-off that isn't a spin-off?

Lead PGR designer as well as several other team members are at Evolution and working a new racing IP for PS4 launch that'll be shown on the 20th. Lots of Liverpool people working on it as well.

So, I can infer the PGR stuff from the partial quotes -- but what was the Sony rumor?

A GT spin-off that isn't a spin-off?

Evolution is working on a PGR-style game for the PS4. They wanted to use the GT brand for it similar to Horizon, but Polyphony shot it down. They're apparently referring to it as the biggest racer to come out of Europe in a decade. And Ged Talbot (one of the lead designers on the PGR series) is leading up the project.

i-Lo

Does anyone have some quality pictures of the target render trailer of Motorstorm from E3 2005? I wonder if another Motorstorm (this time perhaps getting very close to that render) game is heading our way...

Leflus

Project Gotham Racing is the best kind of racing. I'd absolutely be down for PGR5 as a launch game for the Durango.

rdrr gnr

Lead PGR designer as well as several other team members are at Evolution and working a new racing IP for PS4 launch that'll be shown on the 20th. Lots of Liverpool people working on it as well.

Evolution is working on a PGR-style game for the PS4. They wanted to use the GT brand for it similar to Horizon, but Polyphony shot it down. They're apparently referring to it as the biggest racer to come out of Europe in a decade. And Ged Talbot (one of the lead designers on the PGR series) is leading up the project.
Excellent. If both games are so similar in nature -- we'll have an immediate metric*** by which to judge the implications of hardware decisions on 1st generation games. I could see Polyphony not wanting to rent out the name initially, but if the game delivers, it's a win-win for it to adopt the GT brand.

Thanks for the responses.

Loudninja

Sounds great.

jett

D-Member

Dicks.

I hope those couple dozen Lucid employees took the special sauce with them before they locked the doors on Bizarre. I would not want to follow in those steps just winging it. TOP MEN, or gtfo.

velociraptor

Missed opportunity by Sony here. The GT brand could really have helped this game. But then again, Gran Turismo is a 'sim game', so I can understand why PD may have said no. Or maybe PD are simply elitists? Lol.

Reiko

Banned
Well I think I threw up a little.

Still I am sure they can get around it. Doesnt MS also own a patent for Driving line and people including GT use that all the time.

Kudos is very early 00's sounding anyway. I bet they can come up with something equally dumb sounding to call there new points system.

There's a "kudos system" in Forza Horizon. It just doesn't say so.

So if that exists, it can exists for that new game.

malyce

Keep Sim and Arcade separated please. Don't want a GT:Grid/Horizon/Shift. Thank you.

A next gen Enthusia would be nice though, that game was way ahead of its time.

jett

D-Member
More like stupid. Would had sold a ton more with the GT name on it.

Pretty dumb of Sony to allow PD take the shot. And Kaz is just an asshole. Evolution/Ex-Liverpool/Ex-Bizarre needs all the help they can get at this point

If Sony doesn't want something too similar to GT, Evolution should do something like the ex Bizarre project. Real cars, but enough crazy witchcraft to make it different.

ibd3atfXvQRsWc.gif

velociraptor

Pretty dumb of Sony to allow PD take the shot. And Kaz is just an asshole. Evolution/Ex-Liverpool/Ex-Bizarre needs all the help they can get at this point
Yep.

If they did take on the GT brand name, what could the game be called? Gran Turismo: Street Racing? Lol.

Gran Turismo 6 is probably coming out 6 months or so after Evolution's racer. No need to dilute the GT brand[b/].

That's probably at the root of it. As I understand it the GT name carries considerable cache outside of the traditional gamer. While from a game point of view a GT spinoff may make perfect sense, if a large part of your audience is people who don't follow gaming, brand dilution could be a bigger problem.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I hadn't thought about this one in a long while.

Last time I remember talking about it was on a podcast a while back and I got a lot of "Nah, seems unlikely" comments back.

But yeah, there was definitely second-hand talk from people who own rare cars saying Microsoft approached them for that thing.
Lol I honestly don't know why people doubt you. I've hardly ever seen you be wrong in regards to what to keep an eye out for. You're one of the more subtle posters of this caliber though.

It flopped pretty hard. I remember it went down to 20 bucks a couple months after release. It was on sale, but still.

Using a Black Friday sale as proof of a price drop? Good lord. It went back to 60 dollars, where it still is, after the sale was over. They also sold Dragon's Dogma for 14.99 during the sale. Pretty sure that wasn't a price drop either.

velociraptor

It flopped pretty hard. I remember it went down to 20 bucks a couple months after release. It was on sale, but still.
According to ********, it sold 1.2 million worldwide. Not sure how accurate this website is.

edit: I guess not accurate at all since it appears to be a banned site, lol.

Top Bottom