• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

I'm not worried - if Omaha can find a way to demolish something, by God it will!

If someone gave me 7 billion dollars to spend, screw using it to revamp 10 acres in downtown, I'd just buy South Omaha and rename it Fyrewulffsburg.

I said this on FB but I'm going to laugh if this just turns out like the old UP headquarters. A waste of a building and a dead plot in downtown.

Zophar

Omahan checking in, been living here since late 2007.

Took a while to warm up to it, but it's pretty much my home now. Protip: Get a place in Midtown and never, ever look back.

mollipen

Took a while to warm up to it, but it's pretty much my home now. Protip: Get a place in Midtown and never, ever look back.

If/when I go back to Omaha, Dundee is absolutely the place I'd want to live. Love that area and the architecture there the most. I mean, unless I can afford a sweet place downtown. Used to live on 16th & Farnam, and loved it.

FyreWulff

Omahan checking in, been living here since late 2007.

I tried living in Midtown but had to go back to South Omaha. I think I was just incompatible with that area though.

Keystone isn't bad if you want a house; kinda like an upscale Benson.

I can think of better things to do with $7B, and razing the Civic would still be part of it. :p That place has turned into a shithole.

*coughGAFmeetupcough*

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Never knew there was an Omaha ot. I grew up in Lincoln but gone right now for colleges and internships (if people think an Omaha OT is abmissmal, i should make a Lincoln one lol), occasionally went to the O. Nice place, but ill still take Lincoln personally.

stufte

Grew up in Bellevue and still go back to visit my parents a few times a year. Woodman tower isn't the tallest building anymore!?!

Grew up in Bellevue and still go back to visit my parents a few times a year. Woodman tower isn't the tallest building anymore!?!

Not for a long time actually. I think the FNBO building went up back around 2000 or so.

Glad the Millard bond issue passed as my wife works in one of those open concept schools.

Not sure what to think of Stothert (sp?) yet. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Not for a long time actually. I think the FNBO building went up back around 2000 or so.

Glad the Millard bond issue passed as my wife works in one of those open concept schools.

Not sure what to think of Stothert (sp?) yet. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Stothert is a blowhard.

But few could be worse than Suttle. I hope they roll back some of those egregious restaurant taxes...

Headed back to Omaha on June 29th to visit my wife's family. Gonna hit up a Stormchaser's game, Nebraska Brewing Company, Lucky Bucket, Library Pub and Krug Park. Should be a nice week.

Headed back to Omaha on June 29th to visit my wife's family. Gonna hit up a Stormchaser's game, Nebraska Brewing Company, Lucky Bucket, Library Pub and Krug Park. Should be a nice week.

If you like buffalo wings, you should stop by Oscars on 176th-ish and Center. They make "char-buffed" wings that are damn good. I usually order a mix of BBQ and Buffalo sauces and have them "char-buffed". They also have pretty good pizza. I'm a fan of the "Big O", which is pretty much a supreme.

http://oscarspizzaandsportsgrille.com/

If you like buffalo wings, you should stop by Oscars on 176th-ish and Center. They make "char-buffed" wings that are damn good. I usually order a mix of BBQ and Buffalo sauces and have them "char-buffed". They also have pretty good pizza. I'm a fan of the "Big O", which is pretty much a supreme.

Can't go wrong with Oscars, no doubt. That said, my preferred wings are at Tanners. So good.

Also, since we are on the food topic again, I'll say Red's Savoy Pizza out at 168th and Maple is a place worth checking out if you like thin crust pizza. Had it the other day and thought it was great.

Lastly, finally checked out Krug Park this last weekend. Very cool place with some great beer. That said, I like the Beercade just a bit more. Benson has some great places now, much cooler place than when I was growing up.

I'm not a wings fan, but thanks! I've been going to Omaha two to three times a year now since 2003 when my wife and I started dating. Actually got married there as well back in 2006. My wife grew up in Omaha and went to Central High before moving out to the Seattle area for college in 1999 where we met. Nice town.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

I live right around the corner of Nebraska Brewing Company. Hit me up if you are going alone and I will join you for a burger. :p

and Central High for Life! :p

I live right around the corner of Nebraska Brewing Company. Hit me up if you are going alone and I will join you for a burger. :p

Probably going with my father-in-law and brother-in-law before the Stormchasers game, but I'll let you know. In-laws live in Omaha (part of town near One Pacific Place) so we'll make a day of it heading out to Papillion.

and Central High for Life! :p

It's a very cool building. We thought about doing the wedding there, but ended up using my wife's childhood church and then had the reception at the Omaha Press Club.

FyreWulff

Nah man we're all about Connor Oberst. I swear we were best friends, like twice.

Oh yeah I forgot you're from Omaha. I just see you post in the Halo thread a bunch.

Just got back from a six month stay in Vancouver. It feels weird when you finally leave you home city just for long enough to see differences that happened while you were gone. When I came back I felt like a visitor for the first time in my city.

I also got used to Vancouver's busses being so quiet.. also noticed they leveled the old bus huts downtown and replaced them with standard metal benchless stops.

They're also now building ANOTHER Wal Mart in South Omaha. Across from the KMart on 54th&L-ish and just down the street from Hy-Vee on 36th&L and the No Frills on 54th & G. Apparently it's grocery only, but I guess they're going directly after Hy-Vee/No Frills's turf now. The question remains: why the hell does Omaha have like nine wal-marts now. And they're all 24hours. How do we support all these grocery stores. I feel like I'm in the middle of a grocery store war district or something.

seriously:

8 or 9 24 hour wal marts.
10 Hy-Vees, all of which are 24hour. I haven't found one that closes yet.
19 (NINETEEN) No Frills
10 Baker's. I think they're all 24 hours.
Within short driving distance of South O house: 3 No Frills (1 is 24hr), 3 Bag N Saves, 2 Aldis (one walkable), 2 Hy-Vees (one walkable).

Sprinkle in all the Whole Foods, Fairway, and other stores.

Nope, hasn't been for a while. First National playing for keeps

So we now have the first female mayor in the history of the city.

Boo. I'm staying at my parents house every few days since I don't have school at UNL until June, but I voted the other night. I was shocked only 720 people voted on the Millard Bond issue. I guess I care more about it since I went to MPS and am becoming a teacher but I was really surprised to see how few people voted.

And I understand that people didn't like Jim Suttle for whatever reasons, but I'd rather vote for him than someone who says it's okay for people to discriminate against LGBTQs.

And Firewulff it is kinda like a grocery store war. I worked at Bag N Save when Nash Finch bought them out and combined them or whatever with No Frills and the reason they did that was to be more competitive with Wal-Mart. No idea why there's so many tho.

Clockwork5

My old band played in Omaha all the time! We are from KC so we are pretty much neighbors... Always good crowds and I love your Zoo!!!!

zomaha

You graduate there?

I am an 02 alum, myself.

My old Latin teacher, Ms. Ryan is retiring after 30+ years! Meant to go up and see her sometime this semester, but I flaked it.

yeah, '05. best school in the land. i still remember the largest fight i had ever seen taking place during freshman year after school. crowd of at least 200 people standing around watching a few girls go at it. the whole crowd spilled into dodge street and stopped traffic until police showed up. that's the moment i realized "i'm in high school, and this is the big-time".

sucks that all of their athletic accomplishments started happening the year after i'm gone

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
yeah, '05. best school in the land. i still remember the largest fight i had ever seen taking place during freshman year after school. crowd of at least 200 people standing around watching a few girls go at it. the whole crowd spilled into dodge street and stopped traffic until police showed up. that's the moment i realized "i'm in high school, and this is the big-time".

sucks that all of their athletic accomplishments started happening the year after i'm gone

Tell me about it. We sucked in everything while I was there. Then I left and a few years later, state football, track, basketball. Top 10 by Sports Illustrated. LOL

distantmantra: Yeah, I remember I asked my sister if she knew your wife. I think they were in choir or something together. :p

I'm really impressed at the organization of the alumni association at Central. I work at my old high school and they said they had no idea where I went. :lol

FyreWulff

I went to North High for the first 3 years. Then OPS cut my bus route and I ended up going walking to South High and graduated there for my senior year. We couldn't afford the bus money or the gas to take me to North High every morning for an entire school year.

That was a very weird year.

I hope they roll back some of those egregious restaurant taxes...

I say we keep 'em. For so many people hating on that, there are still wait times at the various restaurants around town, and I'm not aware of any shutting down because of it.

It paid off the new stadium quicker than they anticipated, so that says something about people against it, too.

Plain and simple: if you don't like the $1-$3 tax added to your bill, then don't eat out.

Library Pub? Thats the closest neighborhood bar to me!

Anyone been to the game day at that comic store at 52nd & Leavenworth? Usually every Sunday. Thought about going, but haven't bothered yet.

Oh yeah, we also got our first Dunkin' Donuts (again)!!

Library Pub is great. Not too far from my in-laws, and they really know their beer. Makes this Seattle native feel a bit more at home in the land of wheat beers.

FyreWulff

I'm not against the restaurant taxes, as long as they legally hold up. People want stuff here in the city but not actually pay for it. Telling the city to lower taxes then complaining they have to shut down pools early because they ran out of money?

I think there's a smarter way to do the Wheel Tax though.

ianswoody

You graduate there?

I am an 02 alum, myself.

My old Latin teacher, Ms. Ryan is retiring after 30+ years! Meant to go up and see her sometime this semester, but I flaked it.

I almost want to come back for her retirement party! I was state JCL prez for a reason, dangit.

Kwixotik

I go to Omaha a couple times a year for day trips when visiting my girlfriend's family. We saw a Distant Worlds concert there in March and also checked out a couple local shops. I love the Beercade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom