• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Designated Survivor |OT| President Bauer Power Hour

Covfan

Ironically this is one of the first weeks that on Netflix in the UK the "product placement warning" didn't appear at the start.

FORD.

That type of product placement always kills me. Towards the end Bones would do it both frequently and WORSE if you can believe it. Guess now that it's gone Designated Survivor's here to pick up the advertising pieces...

Anything to detract from this turd of a show. Every time this show plays dramatic music and "reveals" something, I go "who?!" It doesn't deserve Sean Callery.

Apt101

I am losing interest in this show. It's the same formula almost every episode.

I say this as a fan of House, so I suppose my tastes are just changing or maybe this is even more rote.

I don't know why, but after tonight's episode I have the sudden urge to buy a Ford Fusion.....

Yeah, at first when I saw the app I thought "oh shit, they have a drone car?" and then a wave of disgust washed over me.

I've said this before, but it's ridiculous that she's staying at a motel when she has a secure facility at her disposal. They couldn't get a private room for her to sleep in and a shower? It's shit like that which does more harm to suspension of disbelief than the outlandish stuff.

pariah164

I know, no recap again; I am very tired today.

One question though? WHY keep Wells alive? Why not just air out her dome and be done with it?

Both the death of Jason and the "i'm on a boat!" reveal were telegraphed 30 seconds before they happened. The "oh it's just a deer ...nope you're dead" routine is the oldest trick in the book. And of course Lazano has become this bogeyman that pops up everywhere. Such lazy writing.

I hope at least whatever Jason did on his computer was uploading the data to a server.

I love how good and noble President Bauer is. Great with kids, diverse staff, idealised policy developments.

Ahhh, if only. It's total tosh but I still enjoy it.

sinkfla87

Advisor:"President Kirkman, can I speak with you about the music and fine arts program?"

Kirkman:"Ah yes, music... Fine arts. Did you know I played clarinet as a small child? Grandfather passed his down to me on his death bed on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Had to pawn it however during my first foreclosure. Wasn't very good at it, nor was I any better at painting."

What haven't you done, Kirkman?!!

no this is not real dialogue, and yes I'm sad Atwood is gone

dLMN8R

Ugh, them killing off Jason is the first story beat I'm really pissed off about in this show.

Killing off characters is so cheap and lazy.

Carn82

I hate many things about this series but I keep going on and I dont know why. But the whole conspiracy stuff is really CSI bad and cringe worthy, while most of the White House stuff isn't that bad. I would sign up for a House of Cards light edition with Kiefer.

Both the death of Jason and the "i'm on a boat!" reveal were telegraphed 30 seconds before they happened. The "oh it's just a deer ...nope you're dead" routine is the oldest trick in the book. And of course Lazano has become this bogeyman that pops up everywhere. Such lazy writing.

I hope at least whatever Jason did on his computer was uploading the data to a server.

This show feels like an early-90s-thriller time capsule so often but that's kind of its charm in the Age of Trump. It's a guilty pleasure for me.

HardRojo

I'd discuss the series more over here if Netflix in my region wasn't behind by 2 or 3 weeks, they should just do the same thing they do with Better Call Saul, where we get the episode the day after it airs in the US, it helps get the discussion moving along. Latam region BTW.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm bowing out. I don't care about anything Maggie Q does in this show, and now that the show is just a weekly "president mystically convinces people to do dumb shit he proposes" procedural I just can't anymore. It's so boring I can't even bring myself to watch to the end of the season, fuck it, I'm done.

I was half wondering if the finale was gonna be a situation on air force one. Bet Hannah's gonna get out and Catalan killed, everything looks fine, then final scene is someone being a traitor, cliffhanger for next season.

I don't understand the confusion on the trace. He knows exactly what computer, in what room, it came from. Why didn't the agent do an immediate lockdown of the west wing?

I wish they had used the 24 sound effect for the bomb counting down.

Gave up on this. Really terrible characters, the way it's filmed is cringe inducing and they wrapped up the only interesting (and that's generous) storyline around episode 12.

Sec0nd

I've just started to watch this series. Man... It's horrible written ADHD bastard child of 24 and House of Cards. It's so incredibly just not good. But for some reason it's a lot of fun to watch. You definitely need to not take it serious.

sazzy

This show would've done great during the Obama years; its just way more entertaining to watch CNN for political drama these days.

Gave up on this. Really terrible characters, the way it's filmed is cringe inducing and they wrapped up the only interesting (and that's generous) storyline around episode 12.
Nah. The story comes back around and the idea is to move away from the 24 style and have a balance between that and West swing drama. The opening storyline was good to just reset the board.

CloudWolf

I've just started to watch this series. Man... It's horrible written ADHD bastard child of 24 and House of Cards. It's so incredibly just not good. But for some reason it's a lot of fun to watch. You definitely need to not take it serious.
I agree. It's the perfect sequel series to 24 in that regard, which also more than once skirted that weird, confusing line where it's clealy not good, yet still fun to watch.

It's amazing how that finale doesn't set anything up particularly. Shadowy man in that shadows, that's it. Gotta admit I was waiting for the building to blow up again during the final speech.

Hopefully next series is more cohesive. It's fun to watch but it's gonna have to be better for me to watch next time.

Kirkman probably should've held up on his victory lap speech before finding out what Lazano did. It also seemed very obviously written as an anti-Trump speech, especially with the immigration line.

I appreciated the moment the writers gave Hannah to grieve over Jason. So many action shows just steamroll the characters through tragedy without any emotion.

I kind of appreciate that they didn't end it on a cliffhanger like mid-season. What they've set up basically allows them to go any direction they want.

legend166

Man this show really asks you to suspend your disbelief.

How do they not track the ID card of Lozano as he's using it in the Pentagon?

Man this show really asks you to suspend your disbelief.

How do they not track the ID card of Lozano as he's using it in the Pentagon?

Or even easier, just turn off its access privileges. I thought the same, but I've resigned myself to this show not caring much about the details.

watching this right now.

lol. they could have prevented agent hannah shaw from running off with the bomb if well, um, she was all tied up or dead.

so stupid.

Link

The Autumn Wind
watching this right now.

lol. they could have prevented agent hannah shaw from running off with the bomb if well, um, she was all tied up or dead.

so stupid.
They were obviously trying to frame her, Arlington Road style. Now leaving the keys in the van? That was dumb.

They were obviously trying to frame her, Arlington Road style. Now leaving the keys in the van? That was dumb.

she's in the middle of that much explosive, that if it had gone off, she would have been vapourised. even if she was already killed, I doubt there'd be a body to find.

Not a terrible finale. Part of me half wanted them to show the Secretary of State involved in the conspiracy and locked in the designated survivor room smiling as they finally blow up government then getbwhat they want.

End show.

But nope. We get another year and hopefully President Kirkbauer saying nukeulear instead of nuclear.

Top Bottom