• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3 multiplayer details leak [Update 4: Game Informer Can't Read]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Courtesy of deathberry

http://tbreak.com/megamers/29135/news/e3-11-exclusive-first-mass-effect-3-multiplayer-details/

seems to be true. May be it's the reason of delay.

Additionally, our source also detailed some parts of the multiplayer campaign. Here’s what we’ve been told:

The game will feature a Horde style multiplayer mode with “crap loads” of maps.
It will also have the regular modes such as Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag.
The Horde mode will have objectives like Capture The Flag, King of the Hill, and simple shoot-to-kill ‘waves’ as well.
Up to four players can play cooperatively in the Horde mode.
Maps are “fairly small” but well designed.
Players can choose from 6 different classes, or use a prebuilt one’s. Our source didn’t confirm what those classes were, but we reckon all those from ME2 will be present.
There will be a level cap of 60.
Some of the enemies were confirmed as well: Geth, Marauders, Husks, and a new enemy type called Brutes. The source described them as insanely “huge ass”.
The game will also feature a ‘multiplayer store’. The store will carry upgrades for weapons, etc. and other items.
Players will be able to buy said upgrades and items by earning in-game money based on their performance in the multiplayer. Our source wasn’t sure if the in-game money can be earned via the single player campaign as well, “but I doubt it. Seems like the (singleplayer and multiplayer) modes will be separate.”

Update:

Ray Muzyka has officially changed BioWare's stance on Mass Effect 3 having multiplayer to "we're not saying, but stay tuned."

CVG said:
Ray Muzyka: "We're exploring multiplayer modalities for all of our games. We're interested in the idea, but, you know, we have nothing to announce on that front on the show today."

CVG: "But, is it something you can say is definitely not in Mass Effect 3?"

Ray Muzyka: "No, we have nothing to announce today at E3. We're announcing a lot of features here, there's a lot of cool stuff, and we're always looking forward to the future where we can talk about more things."

CVG: "I look forward to hearing about it."
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...e-exploring-multiplayer-for-all-of-our-games/

You can also see Greg Zeschuk smile and look around nervously in the video when Ray is saying his last line.

Update 2:

Eurogamer has joined in with a very similar rumor.

Eurogamer said:
Four-player co-op for Mass Effect 3?
by Wesley Yin-Poole
16/06/2011 @ 14:07

Mass Effect 3 is strongly rumoured to feature a four-player co-op mode.

Eurogamer understands this four-player, online-enabled co-op mode is "standalone" and features "competitive elements".

The co-op component is said to not compromise the single-player portion of the game.

Current reports suggest Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is a Horde-style mode, which challenges players to shoot-to-kill waves of enemies.

A separate source has told Eurogamer that BioWare Montreal was creating a multiplayer Mass Effect experience, either as a standalone game or component of Mass Effect 3.

Is this still the case?

At E3 last week Eurogamer asked BioWare if Mass Effect 3 has four-player co-op.

"We haven't talked at all about multiplayer in the Mass Effect franchise, but we're exploring multiplayer in all of our games and all of our franchises," BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka told Eurogamer.

"It's always an idea we're interested in.

"The short answer is we have no comment on that. But we're interested in the idea of multiplayer."

Last month EA announced that Mass Effect 3 was delayed to early 2012.

"The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone's expectations," said executive producer Casey Hudson at the time.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-16-four-player-co-op-for-mass-effect-3

Update 3:

CVG actually claims they're co-op missions instead of horde mode, but as a warning, CVG's sources are all kinds of horrid: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...er-is-real-based-on-original-online-missions/

CVG said:
Eurogamer reports that the much-rumoured multiplayer feature will include "competitive elements" and "will not compromise" the single-player portion of the game.

A reliable development source has since informed CVG that the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer feature will be built around "original missions made for online", which will be totally unique from the solo campaign.

Our mole added there would "only be a handful" of co-op missions which have been created with the intention of being "played and played again".

Reports have suggested that the online offering will come in the form of a Horde-style mode, but our source was quick to play down the notion.

Update 4:

Looking back, BioWare never actually said there was no multiplayer. That was Game Informer's interpretation of Casey's vague statement.

Game Infomer said:
When the teaser for Mass Effect 3 first released, rumours were swirling that the project was actually a multiplayer title set in the Mass Effect universe. Those rumours turned out to be false, but it got many gamers thinking about how a multiplayer component would fit into the Mass Effect trilogy. Rest assured, the team has thought about this too,

Casey Hudson said:
"As a single-player experience, and just as a world that people want to immerse themselves in and share, we've been trying to think of a way that makes sense for people to experience Mass Effect with friends," says executive producer Casey Hudson. "We haven't yet come up with a way to do that, so we don't have anything to announce at this time. But obviously, multiplayer is something we want to do more of in the future as a company".
All he said is that they're not announcing it at the time of the article.

FacePalm%20(1).jpg

*throws in the trash can along with all the other multiplayer modes I played for 20 minutes and never touched again*

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Is the combat of Mass Effect good enough to support a multiplayer mode? I don't think it is, not if it stays so similar to ME2. It has always been stiff, basic stuff.

Van Buren

I can't say I've read any review of ME2 which clamored for multiplayer. I would have preferred those resources to have gone towards the single player aspect. Here's hoping that Bioware is very confident in ME3's SP, since the shoehorning of MP is bound to be a target for any drawbacks in the SP.

Zeliard

Bioware has been trying to make Mass Effect a shooter this entire time. This is just the natural next step.

I thought the day everyone realized Bioware were hurtling past redemption would be a gratifying one, but instead I just feel like Cassandra must have at Troy.

We told you. So many of us told you. You didn't listen, and you kept buying their increasingly bad games, and now here we are.

Dennis

Banned
So many games with multiplayer tacked on.....

I guess including MP must increase sales or else why bother?

But how many honestly had a yearning for Mass Effect as a MP shooter?

Kurtofan

Shake Appeal said:
I thought the day everyone realized Bioware were hurtling past redemption would be a gratifying one, but instead I just feel like Cassandra must have at Troy.

We told you. So many of us told you. You didn't listen, and you kept buying their increasingly bad games, and now here we are.
Please don't mistake your tastes for the truth, ME2 was an excellent game, and tons of games have MP now, who cares?

On MP, I thought Bioware confirmed that there were no MP in ME3, this sounds like bullshit to me.

Shake Appeal said:

Bleh.

Their games are more competently put together now than they have ever been. I didn't like their move to shooters at the outset, but if I'm going to play any shooter I'd rather it be Mass Effect than every other shooter that came out this gen.

Because I also get magic fairy mind powers.

I loved their older games, but they were always buggy as all hell, ran poorly, and had butt ugly graphics. Their new games I have to try to break.

Thunder Monkey said:
I loved their older games, but they were always buggy as all hell, ran poorly, and had butt ugly graphics. Their new games I have to try to break.

I want competent fun WRPGs with current bioware tech skills. Both Dragon Age and Mass Effect cross the line into the realm of "action/shooter with poor action/shooting mechanics supposedly excused by the fact that it's an RPG, but it's not an RPG, so it's just kind of a bad action/shooter with lots of dialogue"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I believe this rumor.

BioWare mentioned they were adding instead of just polishing content with the delay, EA has been massively switching off Unreal Engine 3, and BioWare Montreal has been making an Unreal Engine 3 multiplayer Mass Effect title for ages.

This only makes sense if BioWare Montreal's multiplayer title was either for the same project or a for a spin-off that was canceled and integrated back into the main game.

This would very likely mean that we are getting the extra singleplayer content from the expansion pack as well though.

Mass Effect on consoles ran worse, was more buggy, and had uglier graphics than every single one of their earlier games.

And Baldur's Gate II's 'graphics' hold up better today than Mass Effect 3 will in ten years.

Coincidentally, the gameplay will still hold up better than Mass Effect 3's will... in fifty years.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thunder Monkey said:
Bleh.

Their games are more competently put together now than they have ever been. I didn't like their move to shooters at the outset, but if I'm going to play any shooter I'd rather it be Mass Effect than every other shooter that came out this gen.

Umm outside of ME2...they still are.

Dennis

Banned
Nirolak said:
I believe this rumor.

BioWare mentioned they were adding instead of just polishing content with the delay, EA has been massively switching off Unreal Engine 3
In favor of Frostbite 2 or just in general?

What's the rationale behind this ?

Online shooters are a saturated market and ME's selling point is mostly its cinematic experience, which includes making your own sheppard, his/her choices and carrying them over from one game to the next.
If you want to make it more appealing to the shooter crowd, streamline the RPG elements, tighten the action and make it feel even more cinematic, that's pretty much what ME2 did.

I really have a hard time picturing a scenario where someone would pick the game because it has multiplayer elements and wouldn't have picked it otherwise.

Every single cent that goes towards this shit is wasted. This doesn't add any value whatsoever.

Smision said:
I want competent fun WRPGs with current bioware tech skills. Both Dragon Age and Mass Effect cross the line into the realm of "action/shooter with poor action/shooting mechanics supposedly excused by the fact that it's an RPG, but it's not an RPG, so it's just kind of a bad action/shooter with lots of dialogue"
I can accept that.

I'd personally love the modern skill of the ME team on a game styled like KotOR.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
In favor of Frostbite 2 or just in general?
Frostbite 2.

Army of Two is on Frostbite 2 now (formerly Unreal) and Mirror's Edge would inherently be off the engine as well.

There are signs that Medal of Honor 2 dumped Unreal entirely as well.

Frostbite 2 scales up to the next generation of consoles very favorably, which gives EA a *huge* competitive advantage out the gate next generation, so they want as many titles on it as possible.

The engine team is nearing 40-50 people at this point just so they can support all of the genres that are going on it, and it is even being customized by dedicated employees in house by studios like Black Box.

Thunder Monkey said:
Bleh.

I laughed at everything in your post, because all I had to think of was Baldur's Gate 2. Completely defuses every point you tried to make.

BoobPhysics101 said:
I laughed at everything in your post, because all I had to think of was Baldur's Gate 2. Completely defuses every point you tried to make.
I never actually played Baldur's Gate 2, so I really don't have it as a reference.

That might make me a bad gamer, but there it is.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thunder Monkey said:
I never actually played Baldur's Gate 2, so I really don't have it as a reference.

That might make me a bad gamer, but there it is.

You can buy it on gog for cheap

Enosh

Shake Appeal said:
Mass Effect on consoles ran worse, was more buggy, and had uglier graphics than every single one of their earlier games.

And Baldur's Gate II's 'graphics' hold up better today than Mass Effect 3 will in ten years.

Coincidentally, the gameplay will still hold up better than Mass Effect 3's will... in fifty years.
that nostalgia

Has anyone ever asked for versus multiplayer in Mass Effect? This just seems like a tacky add on which people might play for 10 minutes before ever touching it again.

Bioware please just concentrate on making the SP as good as possible and don't add in stupid multiplayer when it isn't needed in the slightest.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Enosh said:
that nostalgia

If ME had encounter design as good as BG II had, it would be the best tps on the market that wasnt called RE4.

*havent played Vanquish*

HK-47 said:
You can buy it on gog for cheap
Probably could, but I have none of the nostalgia for that era of RPG. Until the mid 90's I'd never even played an RPG. And it wasn't until KotOR that I'd actually beat one.

I tried stock Neverwinter back then and hated it with a firey passion. Barely ran on my computer and crashed during most fights.

I was pretty much an action gamer, and platformer during that time. Out of every Bioware game I've played ME2 was the most solidly put together. The least likely to stutter or crash.

Their heyday might have been back then, but I doubt I'd appreciate it now.

Lakitu

st5fu
Very disappointed with it's boring E3 showing and now they're adding multiplayer. Good show Bioware. This is coming from someone who loves the series. Who fell in love with the original game... now I almost can't recognise it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thunder Monkey said:
Probably could, but I have none of the nostalgia for that era of RPG. Until the mid 90's I'd never even played an RPG. And it wasn't until KotOR that I'd actually beat one.

I tried stock Neverwinter back then and hated it with a firey passion. Barely ran on my computer and crashed during most fights.

I was pretty much an action gamer, and platformer during that time. Out of every Bioware game I've played ME2 was the most solidly put together. The least likely to stutter or crash.

Their heyday might have been back then, but I doubt I'd appreciate it now.

Um you would I think. Neverwinter is a pos shit vehicle for mod tools.

you should at least play Planescape

HK-47 said:
Um you would I think. Neverwinter is a pos shit vehicle for mod tools.

you should at least play Planescape
Hmmm.

Well... it's not like I have a huge backlog right now.

Heh. I always find it hard to disagree with you man. Need to check me cards, but if I've got the spare coin I might as well.

Do either run well on Vista machines?

Dilly

Banned
Great, I have to wait longer to play the last part of the trilogy because of a Multiplayer I'll probably never play.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thunder Monkey said:
Hmmm.

Well... it's not like I have a huge backlog right now.

Heh. I always find it hard to disagree with you man. Need to check me cards, but if I've got the spare coin I might as well.

Do either run well on Vista machines?

Planescape is a bit rough to tweak sometimes, but BG II was never a problem. you can check out the gog threads for mods. I'm sure Minsc has them posted.

Top Bottom