• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Reeks

I'm so stoked. Gonna see a double feature of Suspiria and Opera on the 2nd. Oh, and Dario Argento will be giving a Q&A!!!

lordxar

Wither is my favourite Evil Dead movie. It's a 2012 Swedish film that claims to be nothing to do with the franchise, but it's totally a remake of the first movie. Well worth a watch if you don't mind subtitles. It's better than the 2013 remake, IMO.
Also, you Army of Darkness people are nuts!

Shit! I'm so watching this...now how to fit it in...

kevin1025

Banned
Ok, there's no way that these are all first time watches, right? That would have to be the craziest month of movie watching ever if true.

Pretty much all of them actually are! The only ones on the list I've seen are the first Friday, Halloween, and Nightmare films. The rest are brand new to me! I'm fairly new to horror, so I plan on making this month count, haha.

Pretty much all of them actually are! The only ones on the list I've seen are the first Friday, Halloween, and Nightmare films. The rest are brand new to me! I'm fairly new to horror, so I plan on making this month count, haha.

That's a pretty insane list of first time films. Hope you are good with graphic violence and gore because you are throwing yourself into the deep end with the Italian stuff and the Savini Romero films. Fulci especially can be tough for people not used to modern horror violence. For movies 35+ years old, they still stand as some of the most violent horror films ever.

All right, I have my list. It's all locked in (except for some of the Italian recommendations, which I have put in place but hopefully I can find them all in time). I even ordered them since I'm a nerd, and plus I decided to put the Nightmare/Halloween/Friday films in release date order so I don't go nuts watching the same franchise 10 movies straight, at least then there's a little variety. Plus then Freddy vs Jason is more fun.

Sorry for the long list, haha. I plan on watching at least two a day, since so many horror movies are 90-ish minutes.

Dude, your list is amazing. You are going to have a blast watching a good portion of those films as first time viewings. Can't wait to hear your reviews on them. I wish I could go back and experience many of those films again for the first time.

Please tell me you're going into Society totally blind. No watching a trailer, no reading a synopsis, anything. That movie sure is... something.
I only have been spoiled on "the" scene near the end, but I otherwise have stayed blind on the rest of it.

I'm so stoked. Gonna see a double feature of Suspiria and Opera on the 2nd. Oh, and Dario Argento will be giving a Q&A!!!

You lucky SOB. I got to meet him at Texas Frightmare back in May, and it was worth every penny I spent getting there. He makes for a great interview now that his english is solid.

Steamlord

You, More_Badass, and Aizo are going to have one hell of a month.

kinggroin

Banned
Definitely, don't know the order yet but I'll start a letterboxd list and keep it up to date as we go.

Link to profile?

Here is mine

20170918_163916iikrf.jpg

Quite a few of us actually.

Yep, you and I already follow each other

Yeah. It’s very useful

Profile link?

kevin1025

Banned
That's a pretty insane list of first time films. Hope you are good with graphic violence and gore because you are throwing yourself into the deep end with the Italian stuff and the Savini Romero films. Fulci especially can be tough for people not used to modern horror violence. For movies 35+ years old, they still stand as some of the most violent horror films ever.

I should be okay with the violence. Unless there's teeth stuff, that is always my tough one to sit through, haha.

Dude, your list is amazing. You are going to have a blast watching a good portion of those films as first time viewings. Can't wait to hear your reviews on them. I wish I could go back and experience many of those films again for the first time.

Super excited for it! It's going to be a wild time!

gabbo

No mandatory movies. We're trying this year without them.
Always were my favourites from previous years. Trying to fit them in somehow if I had a theme.

This and last year are going to be "show my girlfriend movies she hasnt seen yet", so it'll be fun to do that again. My general theme is going to be "zombies", but I need suggestions for non-Romero/Return/Evil Dead zombie films, as theyre already on the list as she hasnt seen any of them. Resident Evil I don't see as horror, just as an fyi.

Always were my favourites from previous years. Trying to fit them in somehow if I had a theme.

This and last year are going to be "show my girlfriend movies she hasnt seen yet", so it'll be fun to do that again. My general theme is going to be "zombies", but I need suggestions for non-Romero/Return/Evil Dead zombie films, as theyre already on the list as she hasnt seen any of them. Resident Evil I don't see as horror, just as an fyi.

City of the Living Dead, Zombi 2, REC 1&2

Train To Busan
The Horde (French, 2009)
The Dead (2010)

I should be okay with the violence. Unless there's teeth stuff, that is always my tough one to sit through, haha. /QUOTE]

No teeth but Fulci has a love for various head and eye trauma and there is one particular scene in City of the Living Dead which is notorious for its gruesomeness.

kevin1025

Banned
I should be okay with the violence. Unless there's teeth stuff, that is always my tough one to sit through, haha.

No teeth but Fulci has a love for various head and eye trauma and there is one particular scene in City of the Living Dead which is notorious for its gruesomeness.

That will definitely be interesting to see. I always think of older films as more tame, so this will be blowing that thought up by the sounds of it, haha. Can't wait!

hampig

No way in hell will I get 31 movies done, but I'll probably do a mini version. Maybe 8-10 movies, probably classics.

My wife loved IT, so she's seemed a little more up for horror the last week.

lordxar

That will definitely be interesting to see. I always think of older films as more tame, so this will be blowing that thought up by the sounds of it, haha. Can't wait!

New York Ripper was fucking broootal. I'm good with most violence, except dick and eye trauma but there were some scenes in NYR of things done to chicks that made me wince. Damn good movie but yeesh. So yea some older flicks are as bad or worse than modern stuff.

Ridley327

Anyone that claims that movies are more violent these days than they were back in don't strike me as the type that dug into Italian, Japanese and Hong Kong films. Dem boys don't play.

Anyone that claims that movies are more violent these days than they were back in don't strike me as the type that dug into Italian, Japanese and Hong Kong films. Dem boys don't play.
I’ve only seen Zombi, but modern zombie make-up, aside from some really good ones on The Walking Dead, can’t compare to how gross Fulci’s undead were

I’m watching City of the Living Dead now

I’ve only seen Zombi, but modern zombie make-up, aside from some really good ones on The Walking Dead, can’t compare to how gross Fulci’s undead were

I’m watching City of the Living Dead now

The rough low budget effects of the 70's and 80's always had a rough, gritty quality that made them jump out at you. Coupled with the uncanny valley of some of the more ambitious effects always gives older horror films and unnerving element that serves them well. Modern fx are way to clean and to perfect and they lack the aura older practical stuff does.

Also I want to hear your reaction to that "scene" you will know it when it happens.

I leave my letterboxd list is blank and then add the films as I watch them. I set up a spreadsheet on google sheets to keep track of the films I have on my list.

crimnos

Oh man, wife and I do this every October anyway, so this should be a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is watching.

kevin1025

Banned

I've never been more excited to be proven wrong, it's gonna be great! All of the recommendations and movies everyone is watching over the month will probably be my November watches. I don't want to miss out on some of this excellent stuff.

I've never been more excited to be proven wrong, it's gonna be great! All of the recommendations and movies everyone is watching over the month will probably be my November watches. I don't want to miss out on some of this excellent stuff.

Don't feel you have to rush. I'd actually recommend taking it slow, and introduce certain sub genres or directors as you go. I'd say start with the classics like the Universal horror films. Almost any horror filmmaker will always come back to Dracula or Frankenstein as the root of their interest in Horror. Psycho is a good starter as well since it progenitor of multiple sub genres. Then go with the slasher franchises they are your "modern" pop horror films. Though they also can start preparing you for the more gruesome stuff you will encounter once you get into the Italian and underground horror. The Elm Street films are the most violent of the slashers and often pushes into body horrors. They are a good barometer if you are ready for Cronenberg or Yuzna. If you like the bug slasher franchises then also look into he lesser known ones ie The Burning, The Prowler, Happy Birthday to Me, The Mutilator, Blood Rage.

Wanderer5

I watched it on YouTube a few years ago. Not sure if it's still there, but you may want to check.

Yeah still seems to be there, so I keep that in mind, but will check my local libraries first.

Edit: Yeah looks like I could get it via putting in a request to be sent to my local library for pickup. I am probably going to end up doing that for John Carpenter films too.

You've got an insane month ahead of you.

Alright, going to need some suggestions to fill some gaps.

So far, I have...
1. Insidious
2. ???
3. ???
4. Nightmare on Elm Street
5. [REC]
6. The Orphanage
7. Evil Dead (1981)
8. Evil Dead: Unrated (2013)
9. Martyrs
10. The Poughkeepsie Tapes
11. Friday The 13th
12. 28 Days Later
13. The Descent
14. The Blair Witch Project
15. Rosemary’s Baby
16. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
17. Dead Silence
18. The Exorcist
19. Begotten
20. Scream
21. Paranormal Activity 3 (Hey, this one was good!)
22. ??
23. Raw
24. Lords of Salem
25. Strangers
26. The Others
27. The Omen
28. Child’s Play
29. Event Horizon
30. Trick ‘R Treat
31. Halloween
If anyone has some suggestions to fill up those gaps, it’d be appreciated. I’m completely lost.

Alright, going to need some suggestions to fill some gaps.

So far, I have...

If anyone has some suggestions to fill up those gaps, it’d be appreciated. I’m completely lost.

Don't know why, but Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), An American Werewolf in London, and The Wailing were the first ones to pop in my head. Probably because they are all great.

Top Bottom