• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

I have to say, I thought it would be silly, but I actually like playing with voice commands on the mic. I'm curious to see if it's as good at recognizing in English as it is in Japanese, though.

That's how I'd play it.

Games like Lifeline and Deka voice on the PS2 always looked cool. Rainbow Six (I think) on the Xbox too.

Aeana

There's a test mode where you can test out the recognition of all of the different words, and it gives you a score so you can find out exactly how well it's going to understand you in the heat of battle.

MightyKAC

Demo is solid and boss battles are fun. The inconsistent frame rate is about the only thing keeping it for being a grand slam. Also the character designs are indeed a breath of fresh air. Both the team mates as well as the enemies.

MechaX

Played through the first mission.

The game is... solid. Nothing really blew me away, but it doesn't really do anything wrong either.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not seeing it at all, going alphabetically... Is it gold only? Also, is search gold only? It seems to be.

It's on the front page now

When you first go in the store on the side you'll see selections with dates. It was the top one for 02/01 when I got it

Aeana

can you yell " go motherfucka GO !" ?

There are preset commands that it recognizes. It's a fairly long list, but no, it's all in Japanese in the demo. You can tell your team to GO (行け in Japanese), and you can tell them they're idiots or that they're annoying, and stuff like that. However, I think it only recognizes certain commands at certain times. You can press L2 to get a list of the ones applicable to the certain situation. I admit, I didn't try too many that weren't on the current list, but the ones I did try did not work if they weren't on the list. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.

EDIT: Did more testing, I'm not right on this. Maany words it does recognize regardless of context, like calling your teammates idiots, telling them to run, telling them to get down, etc.
You can speak directly to a particular teammate if you say their name first.
Current observations tell me that it'll be way better to play with the mic, because you get way more options.

MightyKAC

Also, it seems that head shots aren't really the way to go in this game unless you have the sniper rifle. The hotness seems to be shooting the legs out and then finishing them off while their stunned on the ground.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Also, it seems that head shots aren't really the way to go in this game unless you have the sniper rifle. The hotness seems to be shooting the legs out and then finishing them off while their stunned on the ground.

I believe you do get points for headshots though, which is used as a form of currency/exp in this game

MightyKAC

I believe you do get points for headshots though, which is used as a form of currency/exp in this game

True dat. But my favorite trick is to knee cap them then run up for the DUDEBRO SMASH!!!!!! Which also gets you points.

(it actually says smash!! in the game and your team mates acknowledge your greatness for it :D)

Does the demo have a time limit? My demo just stopped during the middle of the fight with the giant red mech. It ended when I finally took the cover for his head off.

Aeana

Okay, did more testing, disregard my earlier post. I think I was just getting some recognition glitches. Fact is, the game recognizes just about every word at any time with the mic, and the teammates have responses for each one. In that case, it is WAY more advantageous to use the mic, because you have access to far more commands at once than you do if you're in the menu, which is limited to 4. This is particularly useful, because 下がれ wasn't on the list, but I needed them to quit being dumb, so I told them and they did it.

MightyKAC

It's gonna get pretty weird in this game if I'm playing it with Japanese voices on but issuing commands in english for the US release...

MightyKAC

Does the demo have a time limit? My demo just stopped during the middle of the fight with the giant red mech. It ended when I finally took the cover for his head off.

Same exact thing happened to me as well. It might just shut down shortly after you expose the Mecha ape's weak spot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
HAHAHAAH There was a robot crawling towards me with no legs while his buddies shot standing up. I threw a grenade and he starts crawling incredibly fast in the opposite direction

Goddamn I love how detailed the enemies are.
I knocked an enemy down and shot off every single bit of its armor plating.

Also something I noticed. Started the first stage and I chose the two female characters. One of them asked me a question.
One lady liked my answer, the other disliked it.

Hmm...

MightyKAC

What do you mean? The English release is in English.

Yeah but I play most of my Japan made games in with Japanese voices on as well as english subtitles. So sooner or later I'm gonna say "Shoot that guy!!" and then the game's gonna respond to me "Yokai!! Taiicho!! or something like that.

Edit: unless of course J voices aren't an option in which case I may just cry.

Aeana

I really like the "procedural damage" as duckroll calls it. I'm a terrible shot with a controller, in all honesty, but being able to cripple enemies in many different ways is really helpful. If I can manage to take a dude's legs out, he's much easier to hit period.

Just finished it - hey it's pretty good! I like the variety of guns and enemy types. I also like how you can chisel away at the enemies' armor/limbs which can lead to their attack patterns changing; this made the combat feel pretty fresh to me.

I liked using that sniper rifle in Stage 2 because the scope animation is hot, reload is fast, and it's powerful (on normal difficulty anyway). My highpoint was definitely shooting the legs off one of the red robots and having it grab onto me and starting a mini-game where I had to shoot it in the head with my pistol.

This game is good!

The little details are so awesome.
I capped a bot a couple of times, then it starts rushing me, I clip it with the machine gun and it flops over and slides across the ground.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just started and off the bat, the game is running sub 720p, but without scaling so there are borders. Kind of like BF3 on PS3.

I'm still in the middle of playing the demo still so I'll report back.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yup, demo is solid and the little details are pretty nice. The bot animation and metal falling off as I pump them with lead is dope.

JPKellams

Yeah but I play most of my Japan made games in with Japanese voices on as well as english subtitles. So sooner or later I'm gonna say "Shoot that guy!!" and then the game's gonna respond to me "Yokai!! Taiicho!! or something like that.

Edit: unless of course J voices aren't an option in which case I may just cry.

Yokai! Taiicho!! Kappa on your six.

Nagoshi!

the enemies are sooooo much fun to destroy. very impressed with the A/I

FUCKING NAGOSHI i love you buddy. he gets me every time. this is just god like stuff right here, and i can't even understand anything.

if this is a taste of what the next yakuza game, fine by me. BRU BRU SKYYYYYY, BRU BRU MOTHERFUCKIN SKAAAAAAAAASSS I SEEEEE

TqygX.jpg

MechaX

Played through the second stage. I have to give the AI some credit even on normal mode; enemies are always trying to flank you. And it seems like they never give up until they are completely destroyed (others crawl, I saw one guy hop, etc). Demo seemed to time out on the boss or I pressed something wrong.

Either way, the demo was solid enough that it moved the game up to a "Might buy" on my list.

anddo0

Awesome demo. Not day one material, $40 maybe.

It doesn't do anything particularly special. But has a nice feel to it. I enjoyed it more than I did the initial Vanquish demo. I felt more in control of the action.. In addition, to add to the AI talk. I found it rather good, which is surprising for this sort of game.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just finished the demo.

Solid game, shooting and moving feels good, the AI is pretty good too.

My issues are the handgun sound effect sounds weak- needs more oompf,no shoulder switching, and framerate inconsistency.

duckroll

Finished the demo. Pretty solid representation of the game. It shows that the voice commands work well, the squad AI is relatively good and much more competent than usual companion "AI" in shooters, combat is fun, animations and models are very detailed, and most importantly the game is actually fun.

Nagoshi vindicated?

Aeana

my only issue so far is the somewhat wonky melee, and the diarrhea framerate.

vindicated? from what? please don't say yakuza man.

Well, I haven't played it, but people said Of the End had terrible shooting. So in that case, I'd say Binary Domain is a dramatic upgrade.

lostxii

Just finished the demo.

Solid game, shooting and moving feels good, the AI is pretty good too.

My issues are the handgun sound effect sounds weak- needs more oompf, no shoulder switching, and framerate inconsistency.

You can switch shoulders by pushing the left analog stick in the opposite direction.

i see.

well, i can understand that. yakuza gunplay isn't exactly perfection. i've only ever expected ps2 feeling gameplay on even the ps3 yakuza games

but still, it's more of a celebration of the franchise. i can't wait to get my hands on it, TWO weeks after binary.

but after binary, it's easy to see they are stepping it up.

Tiktaalik

Fission mailed.

The language barrier is clearly an issue. Not sure how to direct my mates. Against this boss I'm clearly supposed to use this electric wire somehow..?

I'm really digging the robot bad guys. Blowing their body parts off is really well handled.

duckroll

I would say Nagoshi is mostly vindicated because when they announced that the studio was tackling the third person shooting genre seriously, most people did not believe they were capable of it, especially because of Dead Souls. Now they seem to have really done it. The game is tight, it controls well, it feels good, and they've injected a good amount of Japanese game design elements into it which you don't tend to find in most western shooters.

I would say Nagoshi is mostly vindicated because when they announced that the studio was tackling the third person shooting genre seriously, most people did not believe they were capable of it, especially because of Dead Souls. Now they seem to have really done it. The game is tight, it controls well, it feels good, and they've injected a good amount of Japanese game design elements into it which you don't tend to find in most western shooters.

That's all I needed to know. Will DL when I get home from work but if the controls are good, I'm in.

Top Bottom