• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

KlotePino

I really love the setup and structure for this game but I feel it's criminally underused. I know this is supposed to be high-school drama but the writing for this game could and should be so much better. All the s-links follow the most basic of arcs with no twists and turns so the characters stay extremely basic. Right and wrong, good and bad are all so straightforward and predictable, there are so many chances here to do more with these themes but it stay so cookie-cutter.

That's almost a crime to me when you think about how many hours they have to develop these characters into something more interesting and meaningful. They can't even stick to their own flimsy arc such as in Ann's S-link
wanting to become a actress and dropping it immediately after
The thing I do like about the writing is how dark some of the antagonists have been so far, that's the one thing that really sticks out for me.

I agree with others here who say the game could use some serious editing in both the dungeons and day to day life to really elevate this because its starting to feel like a slog to me 40 hours and reading that other people are feeling this way at 80-100 hours is making me worried. I'm saying this because I love the setup and structure of this game but would love to see it come to fruition a little more. In a time where we expect more of games than ever in terms of writing for a game that relies on it so heavily, it's extremely weak. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on this and I know I might be looking through an overly critical lens to this game but I don't think it needs a pass on this front.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How do you use the game console? I bought it and games but nothing happens when I click the tv.

silva1991

what's that?

mementos requests bosses

What persona were you using?

I used Kohryu
Kohryu-persona.jpg

Mine had spell master(halves SP cost) and he has alot of luck.

I gave him Pulinpa through strengthening him with that chicken onion thing(had both pulinpa and confuse boost)

Yeah nobody should play P4 vanilla and p3 fes was also horrible in many ways...could only finish on portable.

I don't agree with the meme that P3 FES is bad. Not controlling your team mates is a pain sure, considering it's the only game in the entire series that doesn't allow you to do so, but I found plenty of ways to get characters to work if you adjusted their tactics. P3P is nice, and the female route is way better, but I feel like it should be played after the male route. Also the point and click style and lack of animated cutscenes is a little bit of a bummer for me.

New game + question

So the Christmas item I got says that I can rank up confidants if I have a persona of the same arcana. Does that mean it will rank up every time as long as I have that persona? Because normally it just boosts the points, so this item should be even stronger right?

Well shit. I guess I'm buying one. Does DS4 work?

God dammit Sony, why can't it use SD cards.

Its basically a vita without the screen. It still uses the vita memory cards. At this point though i would recommend considering a vita itself. Playing persona on the go is a magical experience.

Chaos17

Welp destroyed the latest memento area (adyeshack or something) at lvl 53, I didnt even have requests there, just wanted to clear the zone for the fast travels.

How many more zones are in there? Cant be many more.

There're 7 if my memory is correct.

Chaos17

Since this is my first Persona game I have been thinking about buying P4 and P3 for ps2 as well. I still have a nice PS2 slim I could play them on, but they are pretty expensive for ps2 games :( (then again so was Godhand)

I didn't checked the prices but if they're too high, I advice you to download ps2 emulator, it has been stable for many years and they're great games like Lunar eternal blue who deserve to be played.
I don't usually advice people to use emulator except for old games.

kromeo

You get used to the no character control in 3 pretty quickly, the only time it really caused a problem for me was the final boss

PK Gaming

I really love the setup and structure for this game but I feel it's criminally underused. I know this is supposed to be high-school drama but the writing for this game could and should be so much better. All the s-links follow the most basic of arcs with no twists and turns so the characters stay extremely basic. Right and wrong, good and bad are all so straightforward and predictable, there are so many chances here to do more with these themes but it stay so cookie-cutter.

I don't disagree that the writing can get pretty rote, but most of the confidants have had interesting twists (Star, Temperance) or generally solid writing throughout (Sun, Hanged Man, Emperor, Empress, Hermit, Hiero). It's not cutting edge stuff, but I feel like the game does a great job of getting you invested in these characters and their story.

That's almost a crime to me when you think about how many hours they have to develop these characters into something more interesting and meaningful. They can't even stick to their own flimsy arc such as in Ann's S-link
The thing I do like about the writing is how dark some of the antagonists have been so far, that's the one thing that really sticks out for me.

Ann's desire to become an actress was half-assed and her arc was literally about not approaching model (ie: life) in such a half-assed manner. You can even call her out on her previous desire to become an actress.

Its basically a vita without the screen. It still uses the vita memory cards. At this point though i would recommend considering a vita itself. Playing persona on the go is a magical experience.

I had a Vita, played Golden and loved it. It was probably 80% of the time I spent on it, the other being FF related games. I just don't care for portable gaming. I don't have long commutes, I drive. On planes, I read, I don't game in bed. I just prefer my gaming on my couch or office chair.

Yea, it's compatible. My suggestion is to see if you can find second hand PSTV+4gb card if you want to spend as little as possible.

Thanks.

you can use a dual shock 3 or 4 but i reccomend a dualshock 3 since the ds4 has quite a bit of input lag on the ps tv while the 3 does not

Thanks, I have both DS3 & 4. DS3 might be dead though as they haven't been used in a long time :lol

I can't be the only person out there who almost never found the dungeons tedious. The only time that started to happen for me was right around the end of dungeon 5 and a bit of (ENDGAME)
Mementos Depths, because it was sadly pretty flatly designed.

I really like dungeon crawling though. Etrian Odyssey would be a favourite series if the stories and context were less generic medieval fantasy. As it is I really enjoyed both Strange Journey and Persona Q. Even Palace 7 didn't bother me because I kind of enjoyed the feel of sneaking around in a big maze like that.

Chaos17

I agree with others here who say the game could use some serious editing in both the dungeons and day to day life to really elevate this because its starting to feel like a slog to me 40 hours and reading that other people are feeling this way at 80-100 hours is making me worried. I'm saying this because I love the setup and structure of this game but would love to see it come to fruition a little more. In a time where we expect more of games than ever in terms of writing for a game that relies on it so heavily, it's extremely weak. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on this and I know I might be looking through an overly critical lens to this game but I don't think it needs a pass on this front.

Don't worry you're not alone, we're many that think the story and S-links lack of consistency in general. The game is so long and you wonder why with all that time they didn't added more layers to the story instead of taking player for an idiot by repeating the same stuff over again and again many times (I've never been spamed so much in my life, lol)

That's the reason why P4 tend to be liked more, each arc was fleshed out and the serial murders was the main link between all cases even if it was basic. In P5...
you will have to wait till chapter 6 to see/feel that "link"

I'd say 90% of the time in p3 fes the ai would do exactly what I wanted them to do since persona combat is fairly automatic with exploit weaknesses for one mores. 5% of the time they did something I wouldn't have done and it worked out or was nbd (debuff or alignment on enemy, hit enemy for resist/null), 5% of the time it did stupid af things (prioritized healing someone other then the mc, tried to spam status magic on a boss).

Is it me or is Makoto the biggest victim of "it can't be helped"? I feel like she says in in every other group chat.

If you got rid of all of Mitsurur's skills besides Marin Karin in FES, I don't think I would notice.

SomTervo

Obligatory since we are talking about P3 AI

Lol I never finished this version and I'm tempted to replay it and finish it.(only finished P3P)

Once unlocked, in P3 I pretty much set one character to 'support/heal' no matter what battle I was in and that's all they ever did.

I'm probably not even halfway through P3: FES, and I've still got P4 to go before I try out P5...

Persona 4: Golden is pretty much said to be the best version of P4, right? Like, I don't want to buy a Vita literally just to play that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nah, zero chance ill max out all confidants. Oh well.

I use my PSTV far more than my actual Vita. Been playing Atelier. I would hate playing Persona away from home. Its a series to fall back and get absorbed into, not pick up and play.

I'd say 90% of the time in p3 fes the ai would do exactly what I wanted them to do since persona combat is fairly automatic with exploit weaknesses for one mores. 5% of the time they did something I wouldn't have done and it worked out or was nbd (debuff or alignment on enemy, hit enemy for resist/null), 5% of the time it did stupid af things (prioritized healing someone other then the mc, tried to spam status magic on a boss).

That was pretty much my experience with it. It was just a matter of making sure the correct tactics were set, and having to deal with emergency healing if the dedicated heal/support decided to use a single target instead of multi target heal.

StereoVsn

Once unlocked, in P3 I pretty much set one character to 'support/heal' no matter what battle I was in and that's all they ever did.

I'm probably not even halfway through P3: FES, and I've still got P4 to go before I try out P5...

Persona 4: Golden is pretty much said to be the best version of P4, right? Like, I don't want to buy a Vita literally just to play that.
You can play P4DAN, P3P, and plenty of other games on Vita though, including older Persona games.

daveo42

Banned
12/24 (massive post boss spoiler):
Final boss was insane. Felt like a true final boss too with all the crazy stuff to deal with. After that fight tho...Mona ;_;

Then Joker turning himself in?! Fuck me and this guy...dude is a boss

Top Bottom