• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

shingi70

Banned
Any confrimed price point on those upcoming Joellle Jones Statues?

Teen Titans 4/5: These two issues were a good end to the first arc. I have to shout out Khoi Pham whos artwork works and lives up to kindly Meyers artwork more than I thought it would. These two issues have had alot of character development that Damirn hasn't really gotten in the old universe. Even there all of Damien's relationships were all in the bat family. Looks like Ra's is going to show back up down the line and I'm wondering if it's building up to connect with the events of Detective Comics.

Teen Titans #6 This is the first issue of the new story arc and it mostly serves to get the team to interact with some downtime. The meat of the issue is Jackson Hyde coming to term with his powers as a metahuman and his sexuality. It's clear his mother knows more about his past then she's letting on.

Kicking off my return to comics, I read Deathstroke Rebirth Vol. 1 on Hoopla yesterday. Interesting book. The writing very much expects the reader to fill in the gaps. It's almost... puzzle-esque? As opposed to a lot of "mysteries" where you're not supposed to know until the reveal, here, if you're not making some effort to figure out and fill in the gaps you're gonna have a bad time lol. Right up my alley tho. Slade is such a shitty parent it's incredible, but Wintergreen's talk with Rose about how he's a supervillain and what that implies about his character and parenting makes a lot of sense. I also find myself in weird agreement with Slade about Rose's status. She's not ready. She's got the combat skills, but that's easy when you're a precog. She doesn't have either the paranoia or ruthlessness needed to follow Slade's path, or the sheer dedication and idealism to end up more like Batman (or Nightwing, if you want to make that connection, him being her mentor and all). As such, she's staking out sort of an uncomfortable middle ground as a hero for hire doing stuff she's really not suited for. Very interested in catching all the way up and seeing where this goes; hell of a place to end the volume lol.

Also, I will forever treasure Damian shittalking Slade. Shit was golden, and actually did a really great job of selling the book's driving "Slade is a supervillain" angle. Even in his focus series, he's still getting out-bantered by the heroes. As it should be.
Speaking of Slade, the BC rumor is he's going to start his own team again for the next arc. Still Priest.

No worries dude I'll be careful.

Cheers man, I hate posting things like that haha, it comes off so arse-y. I wasn't sure what I was going to read after Dept H though and you've totally put me in the mood to catch up and read vol 4. I think vol 5 just dropped but that'll have to wait a few weeks on my end

Kill or be killed #7: I liked it but it just ok. Can't wait to see more of the main character and Russian mob. I don't care much for else.

Motor Crush #4: Needs more Lola. Great issue.

The Wild Storm #2: Remind me of all the Tom Clancy books I read in middle school. Its better then those because of all these characters seem more interesting. They look like subdued characters from Metal Gear.

Mother Panic #4-5: Best to issues in the run now. Love the mom and Violent a lot. The art change looks really good. Wouldn't mind it if it stayed that way.

It's been confirmed that Mother Panic will be using a new artist for each arc. So on #7 we're gonna have John Paul Leon.

dan2026

Deadly Class 15

There are no breaks on the
suffering train.

Also these kids really do a lot of drugs.
You'd think the teachers would want them to be clean.
I imagine drugs would tend to fuck with your assassin skills somewhat.

Dusknoir

Picked up my first Valiant book the other day.

X-O Man of War #1: Holy shit was it a great issue. It was pretty action packed with amazing art but it manged to give me a sense of what the character Aric is all about. Last page is enough to convince to try the next issue.
The only negative is that I didn't see the the blue tail his wife was talking about.
Bummer. You guys should try it.

Man they really let it all hang out with Deadly Class right from the get go huh. Even the 4tj or 5th time through, it's hard to find any cracks in #1. They hit the ground running from day one, I wouldn't say that's true even for a lot of books I like. The entire sequence through
the day of the dead festival
is just incredible. The colours too.

Picked up my first Valiant book the other day.

Still haven't read a valiant book, but the previews for this book look fantastic, reminds me of a Conan book.

Owzers

Floppies watch you when you sleep and think about giving you paper cuts every night.

They are not our friends, all these years they've just been waiting, and we kept buying despite price increases and worse paper quality...we were fools.

Also Valiant books would never hurt you because they are happy just to be in a home.

Dusknoir

It looks like Conan in the previews but at the end of the issue it goes full alien weaponry.
Shads of D-Day in the last half of the book.

It looks like Conan in the previews but at the end of the issue it goes full alien weaponry.
Shads of D-Day in the last half of the book.

Cool, sounds interesting. Hinging of whether I enjoyed Dept. H or not (first Kindt book), which I did, I had made some considerations lately to try some valiant stuff. Pretty much Rai looked cool and then just whatever Kindt & Lemire have did since The Valiant mini, Bloodshot & Ninjak.

Why...... a Sunday.....

Haven't seen any articles on Judas Contract so I guess problematic crisis averted...

The event's name is Lazarus Contract, so there'll probably be at least a couple Judas Contract callbacks. Hopefully they don't turn Slade into an ephebophile this time around >_>

tim1138

Why...... a Sunday.....

Haven't seen any articles on Judas Contract so I guess problematic crisis averted...

It'll be streaming on Facebook Live on the DC and Batman pages.

The event's name is Lazarus Contract, so there'll probably be at least a couple Judas Contract callbacks. Hopefully they don't turn Slade into an ephebophile this time around >_>

He means the animated movie...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just read up to Issue 5 of Civil War 2.
Its fine so far, just that Tony Starks seems to suffer von a mental breakdown and everbody else also acts totally out of character

Ohhhhh

There's a movie?

Releasing in 3 days.
Teen_Titans_The_Judas_Contract.jpg

Vic_Viper

Daken as Wolverine. Yay or nay?

Please god no! I really hope this isnt a thing lol. Daken has never been the "cool" villan in anything (imo), and id never accept him becoming Wolverine. Even Sabbertooth shouldnt ever be in the running for the title either. Daken's best moment was when he tried to kill Logan in Uncanny X-Force and that should still be canon right?

Anyone here have any good Podcast recommendations? Id like something that delves into entire arcs or runs. Something that goes in depth on a complete arc and not just single issues. Even delving into individual characters would be a plus. Something like View from the Gutters (even though they are pretty much done from what it seems) or even the Spotlight episodes from Comic Geek Speak. Searching on iTunes isnt the greatest as I only find the handful of podcasts that I already know about and have the word Comic in the title.

Dont want a podcast that spends most the time just talking about the individual issues released each week. I already have a few of those that I like and not enough podcasts that delve into specific runs/arcs per episode.

The ones I already listen to and highly recommend for anyone else:

The Comic Conspiracy (old 1up journalist and guest on the Geekbox!)
View from the Gutters
Fatman on Batman (Kevin Smith)
Comic Geek Speak
The Word Ballon (interview podcast with writer or artist)

Please god no! I really hope this isnt a thing lol. Daken has never been the "cool" villan in anything (imo), and id never accept him becoming Wolverine. Even Sabbertooth shouldnt ever be in the running for the title either. Daken's best moment was when he tried to kill Logan in Uncanny X-Force and that should still be canon right?

Anyone here have any good Podcast recommendations? Id like something that delves into entire arcs or runs. Something that goes in depth on a complete arc and not just single issues. Even delving into individual characters would be a plus. Something like View from the Gutters (even though they are pretty much done from what it seems) or even the Spotlight episodes from Comic Geek Speak. Searching on iTunes isnt the greatest as I only find the handful of podcasts that I already know about and have the word Comic in the title.

Dont want a podcast that spends most the time just talking about the individual issues released each week. I already have a few of those that I like and not enough podcasts that delve into specific runs/arcs per episode.

The ones I already listen to and highly recommend for anyone else:

The Comic Conspiracy (old 1up journalist and guest on the Geekbox!)
View from the Gutters
Fatman on Batman (Kevin Smith)
Comic Geek Speak
The Word Ballon (interview podcast with writer or artist)
X-Plain The X-Men is pretty good if you like X-Men stories. The special episodes with guests like Claremont, Ewing, Soule, Spurrier etc are really nice.

Vic_Viper

X-Plain The X-Men is pretty good if you like X-Men stories. The special episodes with guests like Claremont, Ewing, Soule, Spurrier etc are really nice.

Thanks, ill check it out!

Any other similar style podcasts that delve into more recent runs though too?

Are they shutting down or something?

Is the Marvel Retailer Summit over? Is there any chance they will announce their Reboot/relaunch plans there? Heard they were talking about it the other day but it was behind closed doors and was under an NDA or something and the retailers were super happy about it but werent allowed to discuss.

Sandfox

Are they shutting down or something?

Is the Marvel Retailer Summit over? Is there any chance they will announce their Reboot/relaunch plans there? Heard they were talking about it the other day but it was behind closed doors and was under an NDA or something and the retailers were super happy about it but werent allowed to discuss.
The summit was last week, which lined up with the Generations announcement. It's possible we hear whispers from Wondercon, but I doubt it. It's too early for Marvel to announce stuff like that.

I don't know about recent ones, but there are also podcasts similar to Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men with different franchises. There's Fantasticast (I think) which deals with the Fantastic Four, and there's another one with Teen Titans as well. The latter two are hosted by friends of Jay and Miles.

Holy shit. I wonder how much this would go for?

That thing would go for thousands. I have no doubt someone out there would fork out $20k for that.

Deadly Class 14

'It all comes tumbling down

Tumbling down~~

Tumbling down~~'

Those words take me back to Evangelion.

Floppies watch you when you sleep and think about giving you paper cuts every night.

They are not our friends, all these years they've just been waiting, and we kept buying despite price increases and worse paper quality...we were fools.

It was a trade-off. The paper quality has changed to be worse for reading, but better for giving paper cuts. Rebellion was the goal all along.

Finally got Gravity Rush 2. Love the style of this game. It started pretty slow but it seems to be picking up now.

Don't forget to grab the free Raven DLC that came out a couple weeks back.

tim1138

DC is going to publish a Wildstorm 25th anniversary comic with all new stories:

Abernathy broke some news at the panel, that DC will publish a WildStorm 25th anniversary comic, including work from creators such as Fiona Staples, Sean Phillips and Lee Bermejo.

“The title features some new stories, for instance Brandon Choi and Jim Lee are going to revisit their classic creation WildC.A.T.S.,” Abernathy said. “Jeff Scott Campbell’s going to join us briefly for a new Gen 13 story. Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch will have a new Authority story. Brett Booth is going to revisit Backlash. It’s going to be a really great lineup.” Nguyen will contribute a Wildcats 3.0 story.

Lee said the original idea was just to use material “from the vault,” but quickly creators wanted to get involved with new material. Lee said he was surprised by the “enthusiasm and passion” creators had for the WildStorm characters and concepts. “It actually has a fair amount of new stuff in it,” Lee said of the book.

“If you’re a fan, this is a book you’ll want to pick up,” Abernathy said. “It’s 200 pages of WildStorm excellence.”

Cover art - https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/848252451874627587?s=09

Top Bottom