• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Showed Something at GDC...Made People Excited. [Seemingly Not HL3]

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
We noticed a few things that was happening last night that involved Valve...apparently, Valve showed something off at GDC? Could be Steambox or Half-Life 3?

We stumbled across a few interesting tweets today from GDC that fired up the Pixel Enemy rumour mill. David Goldfarb, lead designer on Battlefield 3, tweeted that he saw some “nice things” after a meeting with Valve. Almost immediately, Mojang’s Marcus Persson jumped on the tweet asking, “hl3 confirmed?’, so which Goldfarb replied, “my silence must be interpreted as silence…” @notch pushed it just a little further saying, “Reply to this tweet if hl3 is confirmed.” Goldfarb replied, “I will show my answer with some interpretive dance. Look closely.”

Around the same time, Interceptor Entertainment’s Dave Oshry tweeted, “Just got out of a meeting with Valve that was single-handedly worth the trip out here. You guys are gonna love me for this. #SOON #GDC”.

Now, we know our brains are mathematical by nature, and tend to look for patterns in everything. We all want these to indicate Half Life 3 or even Episode 3 is on the way, but without much to go on, we’re left conjecture, imagination and whole lotta wishing. We know something is coming, but no idea what or when.

What do you think? Could this be an indication of Half Life 3? Episode 3? Some hardware announcement? New IP? Or for Steambox?

We’ve reached out to Valve to get an official statement, and will update the post once they’ve replied.

Sorry, if this seemed like I'm self-promoting, just for ease, I've attached the entire text here but we also have a few images of tweets in the post.

cjAWDUd.png

So, Half-Life 3, Steambox or something else?

UPDATE: Dave Oshry, marketing man for Interceptor, and one of the people we know has seen what this "Valve thing" is tweeted this recently:

In light of recent rumors and speculation, later today I will make an official statement about what I saw yesterday with Valve at GDC.

I would have said something sooner, but I need time to prepare said statement and have been quite busy. Stay tuned.

MormaPope

Banned
Source 2 shown or rather demoed, it's a big improvement over original Source, nice strides with physics and modeling, "look forward to this being part of many future titles" was probably said.

MooseKing

Banned
New engine I am sure would be shown before HL3.

My guess is a fully Open world Left 4 Dead 3 so Valve can take all that Day-z money.

Perkel

Banned
More like Source 2. It has been in development for years. HL3 on S2 is only natural thing to showcase what engine is capable to do.

Sendou

Did they talk about the TF2 Oculus Rift development already? Could this be that?

EDIT: Oh nevermind. That would be an interesting talk to see nevertheless.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Source 2, ultra-high definition, real-time hat render.

IHaveIce

Banned
Source 2 shown or rather demoed, it's a big improvement over original Source, nice strides with physics and modeling, "look forward to this being part of many future titles" was probably said.
My bet aswell, source 2 will be shown before we see HL3...there should be a new engine for it at least

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GoldSrc engine demoed for "Project Quiver".

Source 2 running a demo/reel of HL3.

Steambox wouldn't make sense as something you'd really get excited about, and Valve seems to have mostly killed off any 1st-party version (they wouldn't be showing it themselves). Nothing else they have in development is surprising.

Salsa

hopefully Source 2 stuff, maybe related to those Havok happenings

maybe Steambox

but do you really think they'd reveal Half Life 3 at GDC? lmao

Zeknurn

Hopefully it's hardware like one of the different input devices they have been working on for a long time. I'm ready to replace my 360 gamepad for something with much better latency and precision.

Salsa

I really dont mean this as a particular stab or anything but at this point every single joke in the book has been done

like I dont even have humor for this stuff anymore

"HL3 steambox exclusive!" "hats!"

like yeah that's the 100th time ive heard that. Im like a bitter old man when it comes to this game. I just want it done and released and DONE

it's tiring. Same cycle over and over again

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
"hey guys we have something and it has a 3"

actually is Team Fortress 3

That wouldn't be that bad... :D

maybe Steambox

Possibly, behind closed doors for devs only as a "tech demo" of sorts?

Hey, if something as big as BF4 can be revealed there, anything's possible. :)

Salsa

Hey, if something as big as BF4 can be revealed there, anything's possible. :)

you are way off if you are even beggining to compare something like BF4's "reveal" (wich we knew was coming since a year ago at least) and fucking Half Life 3

To showcase Source2 - why not?

because that shit would get out

it just would

there is no point in showing it privately or any crap like that. Game is either gonna be straight up revealed as an announcement they make on their own, or they'll do a whole ARG thing again.

ekim

you are way off if you are even beggining to compare something like BF4's "reveal" (wich we knew was coming since a year ago at least) and fucking Half Life 3

because that shit would get out

it just would

It did in form of this tweets. :p

MormaPope

Banned
To showcase Source2 - why not?

At most they showed updated or redesigned Half Life 2 character models doing goofy things or interacting with the environment, they most likely showed none of Half Life 3. And of course they may of used a portal/gravity/hybrid gun to demonstrate in game stuff.

StuBurns

Banned
Why do people still care about Half-Life 3? It's just a potential sequel to a game that's not even great.
I will cut you.

HL3ZOMGZOMG

Funnily, my mate is playing EP2 today for the first time, I shall be miffed if he finishes and HL3 is announced, he'll never know the pain we all carried.

duckroll

maybe Steambox

They're not "revealing" anything though. They're showing select industry people stuff behind closed doors. It could be anything - Source 2, Half Life 3, etc. And no, it wouldn't get out if they only show it to a few people and they know those people personally.

paully

Banned
HL3 would be disappointing. Sure, it's been ages since Episode 2, but a sequel is still a sequel.

I don't think this line of thought applies to the Half Life series. Half Life differs from the typical sequel, and I assume Half Life 3 (if it exists) will be no different.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't think this line of thought applies to the Half Life series. Half Life differs from the typical sequel, and I assume Half Life 3 (if it exists) will be no different.

Well I hope so. If anything, I hope they scrap the first-person cutscenes or at least make them skippable. That stopped being cool years ago.

Top Bottom