• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

AlphaTwo00 said:
NOTE:

SIRI CANADA FAIL: Siri cannot look for places in Canada.

I asked where the local starbucks is. NO REPLY!
what?! so it has no mapping capability, or it has no yelp-business-type finder ability?

lupin23rd

Mine went to Ontario, CA last night and arrive in Richmond, BC an hour ago.... I live like 10 minutes from the airport they had better get it to me today!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
First of six people in line here at a Verizon shop in Seattle. Pretty damn cold out and now it's just started to rain a bit. Oh well! Less than an hour now...

btkadams

AlphaTwo00 said:
Not sure about yelp, but I tossed in the following:

All returned with with "maps not available in Canada"
fucking fuck. my most-wanted feature was map directions while driving. GRRRR.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Snkfanatic said:
Should have mine in close to a hour, UPS always delivers around 11 here
Yes...YES!

btkadams

HTuran said:
Wow, can we get confirmation that Siri maps isn't just US?
i just searched twitter and a bunch of people are saying that maps/directions don't work for canada. it's most likely this is why siri isn't on the canadian site. it's kind of bs that the apple spokesman who spoke to bloggers said the only reason it wasnt on the canadian site was because it didnt have localized canadian english/french. fucking lies.

OR (unlikely), the maps function isn't working temporarily.

giga said:
Apple doesn't even advertise Siri on their Canada site guys.
an apple spokesman said siri would be available in canada and that the reason it wasn't on the apple site was because the languages weren't localized.

Aske

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Daaamn, Canadians. Was that not mentioned at all by Apple, anywhere? That's bullshit if there was no way of knowing that.

We're supposed to feel lucky we get Siri at all. Remember, it's not even mentioned as a feature of the Canadian 4S. No worries, it's in Beta, and it'll get official Canadian support soon.

btkadams

Aske said:
We're supposed to feel lucky we get Siri at all. Remember, it's not even mentioned as a feature of the Canadian 4S. No worries, it's in Beta, and it'll get official Canadian support soon.
hopefully! we better not have to wait until 2012 for map/directions.

Siri is still in BETA, is that too hard to understand. let it come out of Beta and then we can all complain why this or that does not work

Timan

Developer
Blah AT&T is being shit and won't activate :( so now the phone is stuck in a brick state till its completed.

FUUUUUUUUU

bbagwell

One of ours activated, the second one is waiting. Boo, but to be expected I guess. It's not like they were expecting a bunch of traffic today or anything.

Aske said:
The apple guys were showing it off to everyone in the line. You tell me if it's "included"

btkadams

Xater said:
Just tested it and the maps thing with Siri is also not working here in Germany. I guess it's US only.
isn't germany supposed to be one of the main localized countries with siri? maybe it's just a temporary error then.

google search shows no one outside us can use the directions. well that's lame. hopefully they can add that in soon. i thought it would be as simple as just using the map application on ios, but it must be more difficult.

Spruchy

So I was picking my dad's phone up (he's upgrading from 3GS) and I checked one last time to see if I was eligible for an upgrade (got a iphone 4 on launch day) and despite at&t telling me no three days ago, I was now eligible. I have no idea why but I'm now sitting here with a 64gb model ;]

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1559.jpg

iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1558.jpg

Xater

btkadams said:
isn't germany supposed to be one of the main localized countries with siri? maybe it's just a temporary error then.

The response of Siri is that it can#t help me out with maps, traffic or directions.

I also have trouble asking Siri to tell conversions. I always get the response that it doesn't understand what I mean.

Kunohara

AlphaTwo00 said:
The apple guys were showing it off to everyone in the line. You tell me if it's "included"

Showing what off? "Hey guys, look how it doesn't work, awesome right?"

And my status is still in progress. This is only a half hour after reservations went up Friday morning. Around 320 in line. Fucking retarded.

RubxQub

Shurs said:
UPS just delivered my phone.

Yay.
Yes...more UPS success stories!!! GO UPS! GO!

btkadams

yeah, looking at the siri pages on apple's uk site vs the us site. the us one shows yelp location stuff whereas the uk one doesn't. i guess it's us-only.

Chocoboko

Sooo, I have been silently following this thread and was going to hop in with the praises along with the rest of the people in here about my new iphone 4S that I would get today. Unfortunately there has been some type of "Exception" with UPS's shipping network.

I ordered mine from the Apple Store last Friday, a few hours after per-orders went live. It shipped from China to KY in 3 days. I live in AL so there was no doubt it would be here by Friday. Everything was fine when I went to sleep last night. But now it looks like during the night it has flown from KY to TN all the way up in Chicago IL.

The last update was:
"Chicago, IL, United States | 10/14/2011 4:57 A.M. | An exception in the sorting process has occurred. UPS has taken corrective action." The scheduled delivery date was pushed back to Monday.

Now this really makes me upset since I took the afternoon off from work today to run some errands and wait for the iphone.

Anyways, is this normal or should I be worried? It has now been 5 hours since it mysteriously showed up in Chicago. Do I just have to wait till Monday to get the phone or is there anything that I can do?

Sorry for the long winded response!

Aske

AlphaTwo00 said:

It's obviously "included". It's just more of a bonus feature for those without official support. There's a reason it's not listed as a 4S feature on the Apple Canada website. Hopefully the Canadian-English/French fine-tuning and lack of map support are the only facets of Siri missing from our Beta, but we should never have been expecting the same functionality as the officially supported countries.

Chocoboko said:
Sooo, I have been silently following this thread and was going to hop in with the praises along with the rest of the people in here about my new iphone 4S that I would get today. Unfortunately there has been some type of "Exception" with UPS's shipping network.

I ordered mine from the Apple Store last Friday, a few hours after per-orders went live. It shipped from China to KY in 3 days. I live in AL so there was no doubt it would be here by Friday. Everything was fine when I went to sleep last night. But now it looks like during the night it has flown from KY to TN all the way up in Chicago IL.

The last update was:
"Chicago, IL, United States | 10/14/2011 4:57 A.M. | An exception in the sorting process has occurred. UPS has taken corrective action." The scheduled delivery date was pushed back to Monday.

Now this really makes me upset since I took the afternoon off from work today to run some errands and wait for the iphone.

Anyways, is this normal or should I be worried? It has now been 5 hours since it mysteriously showed up in Chicago. Do I just have to wait till Monday to get the phone or is there anything that I can do?

Sorry for the long winded response!

looks like your phone is coming on monday.

RubxQub

Shurs said:
So, when I tap the back of the phone it makes an every so slight rattling noise. Is this common?
I'm gonna go ahead and say no :(

Eric WK

RubxQub said:
Yes...more UPS success stories!!! GO UPS! GO!

I really have no idea why you would think random stories from across the country (world?) of UPS delivering early means anything for your specific route. Unless the drivers have been instructed to deliver Apple/carrier packages first today or something, the very fact that the 4S released today likely means more packages for the drivers and longer delivery times.

PLEASE COME SOON, UPS. PLEASEEEEE.

And that vvvvv

Shurs

RubxQub said:
I'm gonna go ahead and say no :(

What's odd is, if I shake it, there is no rattling noise, it's only when I touch the top of the back of the phone.

I'm thinking it might be the camera lens.

Damn.

Thankfully, I live two blocks from an Apple store. They'll check it out even though I bought the phone from AT&T, right?

RubxQub

Eric WK said:
I really have no idea why you would think random stories from across the country (world?) of UPS delivering early means anything for your specific route. Unless the drivers have been instructed to deliver Apple/carrier packages first today or something, the very fact that the 4S released today likely means more packages for the drivers and longer delivery times.

PLEASE COME SOON, UPS. PLEASEEEEE.

And that vvvvv
I just want my phone! I'm sitting on my couch which has a clear view of my front door window...so I'm just fiendishly waiting for cars to drive by.

It's a healthy living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom