• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

KevinCow

Banned
My new favorite weapon, just got 17 kills on FFA!

KoSgN.jpg

Doesn't hit very hard (for about 130 charged dash shoot), but shoots and charges very fast and has good build in homing.

What's your take on it, GAF?

Your powers grid is bothering me.

sGi1C.jpg

There we go.

I just got the last idol in the game! Appropriately, it was the End-All Arm.

Now I can go back to spending my play coins on puzzle pieces and SSIV figurines.

Insaniac

My new favorite weapon, just got 17 kills on FFA!

KoSgN.jpg

Doesn't hit very hard (for about 130 charged dash shoot), but shoots and charges very fast and has good build in homing.

What's your take on it, GAF?

IMO the violet palm is probably my favorite palm. Thats a pretty good palm, I always enjoy speed modifiers and range boost is great for palm.

clemenx

Banned
I want to love this game but I can't, completely. I feel the later levels all have some gimmicky part AND they're way too long. I understood Chapter 9 as
it was a fake ending, and I was in a blackout so I appreciated it
but I don't see why thay have to get longer and longer. Really, chapters 1-9 were the perfect game for me.

Good thing Viridi is the greatest character in anything ever so I am loving everything else in here.

clemenx

Banned
I want to love this game but I can't, completely. I feel the later levels all have some gimmicky part AND they're way too long. I understood Chapter 9 as
it was a fake ending, and I was in a blackout so I appreciated it
but I don't see why thay have to get longer and longer. Really, chapters 1-9 were the perfect game for me.
Though, it has improved since the Chapter where I'm Magnus. I really, really disliked all those levels with the Aurums or whatever they're called.
I'm in chapter 22 right now.

Good thing Viridi is the greatest character in anything ever so I am loving everything else in here.

Uhh what happened here >.< Sorry, I was sure I had clicked on edit.

StAidan

I want to love this game but I can't, completely. I feel the later levels all have some gimmicky part AND they're way too long.

The only gimmicky part that bothered me was (uhh, late mid-game if I remember right?)
riding the lightning chariot. It just changed up the flying section WAY too much

I agree about the chapter length on some of those later ones though. I don't usually have a lot of time to sit and play an extended session, so there are a handful of chapters where I basically have to run through and miss out on a lot of content just to fit the game into my life schedule.

jokkir

I might get this game today. Is the online broken yet/any unbalanced combinations of equipment? Without spoilers, how's the campaign? I heard great things about it so far.

McNum

I might get this game today. Is the online broken yet/any unbalanced combinations of equipment? Without spoilers, how's the campaign? I heard great things about it so far.
I haven't played online yet, but the campaign is nuts. In a good way. And the way it handles difficulty levels is pretty smart. Do spend a little time getting used to the controls, though.

jokkir

Ah yeah, a question about controls. If you were more than okay with the controls of Metroid Prime: Hunters for the DS, would the controls, in a way, be no problem when playing this game?

I wish there were demo stations with this game instead of Mario Kart :(

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I picked this up yesterday. Five chapters in so far, overall the experience has been nice and by looking at things, plenty to go back to.

Man oh man, why did I hold off.

Ah yeah, a question about controls. If you were more than okay with the controls of Metroid Prime: Hunters for the DS, would the controls, in a way, be no problem when playing this game?

I wish there were demo stations with this game instead of Mario Kart :(

Actually my first comment about the controls in this thread was that "if you could handle MPH then you should have no problem here". I still feel it fits well enough.

Anteo

The controls are fine, ymmv of course. I think it's easier for those who have played shooters before. In my case, I know that in a shooter (1st or 3rd person view) you never see all of the action and can be hit by something you didn't see. Good positioning (back to wall) and quick camera turns are your friends if you like close combat. You can aslo take it slowly and snipe everything from afar so the camera may not be a problem then.

The online is fine too, if you want to play a balanced game, play Light vs Dark. Free for all is more chaotic and rewards overpowered weapons as far as I can tell. In LvD you can play with low level weapons and still be usefull to your team. I like to play with low value high speed claws for example, the risk for going close on the enemy team is mostly negated by the low value so the team life bar won't suffer that much from my death.

Edit : Up to chapter
_22_
GOTY

Edit 2 : And the final boss is down! What an amazing ride! Loved every second. Team Sora :bow

abasm

The online is fine too, if you want to play a balanced game, play Light vs Dark. Free for all is more chaotic and rewards overpowered weapons as far as I can tell. In LvD you can play with low level weapons and still be usefull to your team. I like to play with low value high speed claws for example, the risk for going close on the enemy team is mostly negated by the low value so the team life bar won't suffer that much from my death.

As I understand it, the points you earn/lose in FFA are also based on your weapon value.

Been trying to clear levels on Intensity 9 (and if not, I'll settle for 8). But I'm having a bitch of a time on Chapter 9. Do the three sacred treasures suck? Should I be avoiding using them? I like killing Ornes... :(

Re-asking. Anyone? Opinions on the three sacred treasures?

I tried to buy it today but it was sold out yet again. Just how well is this game selling anyway. >>

I dunno about the US, but it's selling like angelcakes here in Canada. I walked to Best Buy the other day to buy a new stylus, and got 6 KI StreetPasses on the way there. Out of curiosity, I checked their stock once I arrived to find that they were sold out. I asked a clerk about it and he said that the last 4 shipments have all sold out in days.

So yes, it is rather popular.

Freezie KO said:
Anyone? Opinions on the Three Sacred Treasures?

Skip 'em. If you're serious about attempting any Chapter on 9.0, Ornes should be nothing more than a mild nuisance to you. The 3STs simply don't have the power nor the abilities necessary to easily beat the chapter. If you don't use the weapon you're best with, you're gonna have a bad time.

Skip 'em. If you're serious about attempting any Chapter on 9.0, Ornes should be nothing more than a mild nuisance to you. The 3STs simply don't have the power nor the abilities necessary to easily beat the chapter. If you don't use the weapon you're best with, you're gonna have a bad time.

Thanks. I was doing well with 8's and 9's leading up to Chapter 9. I failed miserably a couple times on that Chapter and I couldn't tell if I started sucking or if it was the treasures.

Korosenai

Thanks for playing sephiRK!

I forgot what your name was on here.

The guy on my team, mitch, is my friend who just got the game today. Thats why I was playing.

likeGdid

Dropped my entire 250k+ heart savings into an offering
for Viridi
on a whim.

feelsliberatingman.jpg

And just found the Kid Icarus Uprising Weapon Fusion FAQ.

This stuff is even more headache-inducing for me than EV stuff in Pokemon. It looks like it would take a ridiculous amount of farming/grinding/fusion chain planning just to get a weapon you want, with good attributes to boot. Luckily I was able to get the weapon I wanted for attempting lvl 9 solo missions (6*R Laser Staff) .

Anteo

for Viridi
on a whim.

feelsliberatingman.jpg

This stuff is even more headache-inducing for me than EV stuff in Pokemon. It looks like it would take a ridiculous amount of farming/grinding/fusion chain planning just to get a weapon you want, with good attributes to boot. Luckily I was able to get the weapon I wanted for attempting lvl 9 solo missions (6*R Laser Staff) .

Ummm wow.. I didn't excpet the fusing to be that complicated

My partner and I sit next to one another and try to get into online games together......I think we've been successful 3 times out of millions of tries.

I wonder why this game won't allow you to play online with strangers and friends......kinda sad really.

My partner and I sit next to one another and try to get into online games together......I think we've been successful 3 times out of millions of tries.

I wonder why this game won't allow you to play online with strangers and friends......kinda sad really.
You mean why you can't ruin people's times by curbstomping them with friends?

StAidan

Yeah, I fuse weapons all the time trying to work myself up to something I like using, but my single and multiplayer weapons are still ones that I got within the first week of release. This fusion deal is one of those "never stop trying" types of things.

Chopper

for Viridi
on a whim.

feelsliberatingman.jpg

Oh man. I tried reading that FAQ, and my brain just sort of shut down. Hoovered all the fun out of the fusing I've been doing. I think I'll stick with mindless luck.

jokkir

I'm going to try getting this from future shop today. I might as well just price match too with the Walmart price. Hopefully it's not sold out -__-

Korosenai

Oh man. I tried reading that FAQ, and my brain just sort of shut down. Hoovered all the fun out of the fusing I've been doing. I think I'll stick with mindless luck.
I prefer mindless luck as well. Its how i got my six star range melee/range magnus club.

StAidan

Yeah, I don't think there's much point in knowing all the numbers behind the process anyway. The weapon type conversion chart that we got early on is enough for my fusing needs. Breaking out a spreadsheet and running all the other digits is just too much like work :)

One useful thing that does come out of that faq, though: I hadn't really noticed that some chapters have a higher chance of dropping certain weapons over others. That might help me pick up some more stuff useful for fusion.

You mean why you can't ruin people's times by curbstomping them with friends?

That's pessimistic and definitely not how every or even a majority of situations would work.

There are many solutions if that's what you are afraid of besides just not allowing you to play with friends online.

As it stands now you can only play with a friend online against bots, which gets boring quickly, human opponents are much more interesting to play against. Perhaps another mode so those who get angry and frustrated at losing games can still feel insulated by the idea of illusory fair play?

Not only that, but I get curb stomped regularly just by picking free for all, it's just how games work, people will be better than you. Perhaps a level based matchmaking could have been implemented ala Mario Kart.

There are many solutions, I hope something changes for a (hopefully) sequel. I'm a huge fan of this game, warts and all.

Chopper

Yeah, I don't think there's much point in knowing all the numbers behind the process anyway. The weapon type conversion chart that we got early on is enough for my fusing needs. Breaking out a spreadsheet and running all the other digits is just too much like work :)
Fancy reposting that for us latecomers? :)

That's pessimistic and definitely not how every or even a majority of situations would work.
That's exactly how it tends to work.

There are many solutions if that's what you are afraid of besides just not allowing you to play with friends online.
You can play with friends online, you just can't mix friends and randoms.

As it stands now you can only play with a friend online against bots, which gets boring quickly, human opponents are much more interesting to play against. Perhaps another mode so those who get angry and frustrated at losing games can still feel insulated by the idea of illusory fair play?
Who cares about losing games? It's not about losing, so why bring it up?

Not only that, but I get curb stomped regularly just by picking free for all, it's just how games work, people will be better than you. Perhaps a level based matchmaking could have been implemented ala Mario Kart.
It's not an issue about skill, so why bring up skill?

If you want to play with your friend, there's a really simple option: expand your friends list. Go on places like GAF and GFAQs, and add frequent players to your list. Enjoy.

nron10

Neo Member
After seeing the results from Team IcarusGAF's first game, I think everyone else in the tournament should be wetting themselves. The points they managed to put up dwarf everyone else.

As the person running the tournament (and a member of the Round 1 losing Nintendo World Report Staff Team), I'm looking forward to seeing some kick-ass Kid Icarus players duel. Second Round should be interesting...

Korosenai

After seeing the results from Team IcarusGAF's first game, I think everyone else in the tournament should be wetting themselves. The points they managed to put up dwarf everyone else.

As the person running the tournament (and a member of the Round 1 losing Nintendo World Report Staff Team), I'm looking forward to seeing some kick-ass Kid Icarus players duel. Second Round should be interesting...

Haha thanks man. We only became angels in two out of our three games, and i'm pretty sure our angels health never dropped below 75% health either time.

And to answer your email, i'm glad we were able to play as well. It was looking like we weren't going to be able to, but we finally got a chance to today.

Korosenai

what attributes out of curiosity?

I'll have to check later when I get on my 3ds.

And also an article with Sakurai talking about the controls

http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1224194p1.html

I couldn't agree more with this quote

"If a player used to touchscreen-based aiming played against someone used to right-analog control, the first player would probably dominate. The speed is on a whole different level."

The way you have to move and aim in this game, it just will not work with a second analog stick.

Insaniac

I'll have to check later when I get on my 3ds.

And also an article with Sakurai talking about the controls

http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1224194p1.html

I couldn't agree more with this quote

"If a player used to touchscreen-based aiming played against someone used to right-analog control, the first player would probably dominate. The speed is on a whole different level."

The way you have to move and aim in this game, it just will not work with a second analog stick.

yeah let me know.

Also, the difference in the controls is as simple as comparing mouse vs dual analog. a dual analog would never compare to a mouse

Veni, vidi, vici.

I just want to win so I can go on the podcast and troll everyone with my
horrible
Hades impression.

Top Bottom