• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Hawk269

Guy Legend said:
Really anxious to see what the $199 model will have. If it retains wifi and has a smaller hard drive, I might finally jump in.

I would think it would retain the Wi-Fi because the case does not have a place to snap on the wireless adapter and I doubt they will make a new case for it. I would think it would have Wi-Fi and maybe a 20gig HDD for 199.99 would not be bad.

Cheech

corrosivefrost said:
That's just about tragic that people are already having GPU problems.

ONE bad 360 out of the hundreds sold so far to forumgoers like you and me is "tragic"? You know quite a bit about tragedy, drama queen. :lol

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'm gonna bundle up my 60GB Zephyr and hope when I stop by the local Gamestop there's a Shorty available tomorrow. If not I'll put down a pre-order. Can't turn down 160 bucks for my nearly three year old system and controller. I was pretty close to buying an elite about a month ago, glad I waited.

Hawk269 said:
I would think it would retain the Wi-Fi because the case does not have a place to snap on the wireless adapter and I doubt they will make a new case for it. I would think it would have Wi-Fi and maybe a 20gig HDD for 199.99 would not be bad.

I predict it'll have a 2 or 4 gig internal flash drive.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Has anybody tried playing old Xbox games on it? Does the backwards compatibility work ok? I know it should since it's software based but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

stldave2

I almost took advantage of the gamestop trade in to unload one of my older 360's and wireless adapter today. They said they will guarantee the trade in values until the 17th of July. I keep talking myself into/out of it... I really don't need the upgrade, but I feel like a new homebuyer trying to take advantage of a tax credit before it runs out:lol

derder

Pagusas said:
Microsoft confirms $199 Xbox-S for fall. No details about HD or Wifi included.

http://www.stageselect.com/N5015-microsoft-confirms-199-xbox-slim-configuration-for.aspx
I knew it. They're just doing what both they and Sony have had to do to clear out old systems time and time again.

We should see both of these this christmas:

$299 Kinect+XboxSlim-lite (512mb wifi)
$299 Move+PSEye+wand+secondary wand+PS3 Slim-lite (120GB, wifi)
$299 XboxSlim-elite(250gb wifi)+2games
$299 PS3Slim-elite(250gb wifi)+1 bluray+1 3d-enabled game
$199 XboxSlim-lite(512mb wifi)
$199 PS3Slim-lite(120gb wifi)

RJNavarrete said:
Five, I think. Two upfront three in the back.

EDIT: Has anyone traded in a MW2 Edition 360 yet? What value did you get for it?

$150. $100 for the system with controller and cables and $50 for the HDD.

So, I'm thinking about getting a slim60 tomorrow.
Is there any place where I can see exactly how much I can get for trading in my hardware at gamestop? Or if someone just wants to tell me how much I could get for:
360 (no HDD, Pro model), wifi adapter (old one), Wireless controller?

Bonus question: Does MS sell HDD transfer kits without HDDs?

Troidal

Too bad I can't sell my old 360 for this new one. Japan no longer buys your used 360s as far as I know, Japan hates 360 :/

But I dont even have my 360 here in Beijing so its not like it even matters :/

Vormund

Vyer said:
I've always been used to powering on my 360 with my controller.

Interestingly, I noticed that the S doesn't fully power on the same way. It will only when I am on the right input on my TV. The lights will spin on the controller but it won't 'catch' until I have switched to the input. Not a big deal, but is this normal? I never noticed it before.

As others have said, earlier models do it. I think it only happens when hooked up via HDMI.

theultimo

Vyer said:
I've always been used to powering on my 360 with my controller.

Interestingly, I noticed that the S doesn't fully power on the same way. It will only when I am on the right input on my TV. The lights will spin on the controller but it won't 'catch' until I have switched to the input. Not a big deal, but is this normal? I never noticed it before.
It is waiting for an HDMI sync to boot. Its the odd thing about the 360: If it does not have a video feed, it with either give a 4 red light error (Composite) or no error, waiting for the HDMI EDID information from the monitor i believe. And considering my Zephyr did it as well, I think it might be using the same HDMI 1.2 spec.

kamspy

Am I missing something, or is the only fan in the new console the one on the HSF?

I don't see any others in the anandtech teardown.

derder said:
I knew it. They're just doing what both they and Sony have had to do to clear out old systems time and time again.

We should see both of these this christmas:

$299 Kinect+XboxSlim-lite (512mb wifi)
$299 Move+PSEye+wand+secondary wand+PS3 Slim-lite (120GB, wifi)

$299 XboxSlim-elite(250gb wifi)+2games
$299 PS3Slim-elite(250gb wifi)+1 bluray+1 3d-enabled game
$199 XboxSlim-lite(512mb wifi)
$199 PS3Slim-lite(120gb wifi)

The PS3 is not dropping $100 by Christmas, if at all. At best we'll see a $50 price drop and some bundling.

EDIT: In thinking about a $100 PS3 price drop, I realized for the first time how aggressively priced the $300 360 S really is. 250 GB systems were retailing $400 with a game and a controller before. Instead of a game and controller, we get built in wireless and a better engineered system for $100 less. So maybe a $100 PS3 price drop isn't out of the question, but I would still be surprised.

theultimo said:
It is waiting for an HDMI sync to boot. Its the odd thing about the 360: If it does not have a video feed, it with either give a 4 red light error (Composite) or no error, waiting for the HDMI EDID information from the monitor i believe. And considering my Zephyr did it as well, I think it might be using the same HDMI 1.2 spec.

I could have sworn I never had to turn on my TV or switch inputs before booting my 20 GB HDMI system. Maybe I just never tried.

theultimo

Gillian Seed said:
What? You telling me that you can not Install your games on the 360 S? And do the original X-Box games work?
What? I have over 50 installed right now!

I think he was talking about if you have 250GB, why not install it?

Just tried JSRF...xbox org is fine.

OK, I just turned on my system with my TV off and it booted up all the way to the dashboard. What's everyone talking about? What aren't I understanding?

EDIT: Oh, input... I'll try it with my TV off on another input?

EDIT2: Nope, turns on just fine with TV off on different input and TV on on different input. I even started a game without switching inputs by pressing up then A to confirm it was booting all the way.

theultimo

MegaKungFuRadio said:
OK, I just turned on my system with my TV off and it booted up all the way to the dashboard. What's everyone talking about? What aren't I understanding?

EDIT: Oh, input... I'll try it with my TV off on another input?
Unplug the HDMI cable. It won't boot until you plug it in i think. It might see a signal in some systems when it is off maybe?

theultimo

MegaKungFuRadio said:
OK, but why would I do that? Or are you trying to say it's a difference in how some TVs handle the connection?
Kinda, but this is how mine is set up: I have a splitter on mine and when I have it set to a different input, it has no connection. It doesn't boot until I select the 360 input.

theultimo said:
Kinda, but this is how mine is set up: I have a splitter on mine and when I have it set to a different input, it has no connection. It doesn't boot until I select the 360 input.

Oh, I see, like a component selector switch? Mine is plugged directly into the TV.

theultimo said:
Yup, exactly. My HDMI input is "unplugged" on the 360 when I select my PS3 for example.

OK, that makes total sense. I thought everyone was saying that they couldn't boot up their console hooked up to HDMI1 from HDMI2 or Component1 or whatever.

chandoog said:
What is this man talking about ?

No idea. If he's talking about the option to install, that's still there. If he's talking about the option to play the game without installing, that's still there. So who knows.

chandoog said:
What is this man talking about ?

I think he`s just saying it is too loud for him to play games on his 360 now, so he is "required" to install games. Honestly, I play most games with headphones on, so I`m all good, installs or no.

theultimo said:
Unplug the HDMI cable. It won't boot until you plug it in i think. It might see a signal in some systems when it is off maybe?

... yep... when my 360 is plugged into my receiver it does not work until that is on... but if directly into the tv it boots if the tv is off.

Guess it's some sort of handshake?

Dragon

Banned
CaseyTappy said:
You mean they didn't realize a exact 0% failure rate , really :lol

I think he just means that the last thing MS wanted was any news about hardware issues about this revision. Hopefully it's an outlier.

clav

Uh oh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7AMf92r5eI

Looks like the guy's power brick has an issue. He just needs a new powerbrick.

Microsoft continues to use an external powerbrick as with the Xbox 1 if the fuse blew out and you wanted to replace the power supply, you would have to open the Xbox up; thus voiding your warranty.

External brick is a smarter design for users.

th3dude

Reserved one at gamestop on Saturday. First one in line there. Called today only to hear that they aren't expecting any until the first week of July. I really hope I don't get screwed out of the trade in deal.

sn1pes said:
Reserved one at gamestop on Saturday. First one in line there. Called today only to hear that they aren't expecting any until the first week of July. I really hope I don't get screwed out of the trade in deal.

According to the link above, Gamestop's trade in prices are good through 7/18/10. I'm strongly considering upgrading now that my cost would be around $130 (with HDD transfer cable and another HDMI cable).

sn1pes said:

Damn those fucking assholes working at gamestop. Asshole bitch told me it will be available in a day or two. And now all locations are not receiving any shipments, looks like this is true.

I've had mine for a couple days now, but I just noticed that the *da-ding* noise the system makes when you press the power button sounds exactly like the noise when you first start Yoshi's Island on SNES. I can't unhear it.

I gave my brother my Elite. Traded in his refurbished Arcade w/ wired controller (plus an extra Wireless Controller, a 256MB Memory Card, a 20GB HDD, and a Wireless-G Adapter) for $214.

I made sure they took the wired controller with the system and gave me $25 for the wireless controller (rather than $20 for the wired controller), and I gave them the composite cables rather than the component cables that my brother had been using with it.

They didn't have any Slims in stock, so I guess I've got more time for the PS3 this week while I wait for the backorder...

Burai

shitonmychest57
Diablohead said:
I like the old design with the grey "stripe" but it works better on the white pads then the current black ones, the new design going all black... I wonder why microsoft are more or less removing the white colour from their xbox after the last 5 years?

I heard that once you go black, you can't go back.

Just a quick question for those who have one - does the system still have the IR receiver on the front? I can't tell from the pictures, and I'll be pissed if my remote doesn't work anymore!

Top Bottom