• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale [Up: Sony registers domain]

I think the survey is fake. Why would Sony have an Xbox 360 controller headlining its survey?

playstation-all-starsdzxi3.jpg

Survey is 3rd party. That image is probably on their generic "game survey" template.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This seems like a terrible idea. Sony doesn't have the character IP to pull this off.

Come on, man, they got Kratos and Jack/Daxter/Ratchet/Clank, an ice cream truck, Wander, all the colossi, that horse, Ico and Yorda as a tag team character, the guy who plays the lounge music in the Gran Turismo menus, Mr. Syphon Filter, Sly and friends, sackboy, the rubber sackboy from Mod Nation, Nathan Drake and friends, a brown person who gets shot by the aforementioned mass murderers... the list goes on and on.

rouken

can they really pull this off?
i can't think of something they would do for this to be not a super smash bros clone. and the list character roster sony has are hilarious compared to nintendo.
i can't imagine kratos really being appropriate to play as given his nature to kill everyone
but now that i think about it, drake has a nature of killing everyone too. lol

Come on, man, they got Kratos and Jack/Daxter/Ratchet/Clank, an ice cream truck, Wander, all the colossi, that horse, Ico and Yorda as a tag team character, the guy who plays the lounge music in the Gran Turismo menus, Mr. Syphon Filter, Sly and friends, sackboy, the rubber sackboy from Mod Nation, Nathan Drake and friends, a brown person who gets shot by the aforementioned mass murderers... the list goes on and on.

Yes but only a few of them have real star appeal (Kratos, Drake, LBP kinda) in terms of general audience excitement. I know personally I wouldn't have mentioned half the characters you listed, not because I haven't played/enjoyed those games, but I don't really think of them as big Sony first party characters. Even then neither Kratos or Drake has the draw of a character like Mario or Link, heck I don't even think they have as much draw as Master Chief.

Edit: On second though you were probably being sarcastic so I feel dumb :X

KillerAJD

Not my photo. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was the one who leaked it to the blog. I'm just confirming that survey exists. I took the survey. Not the photo. I'm only talking about it because it's already leaked.

Also, I don't see how a printscreen would appear more legit. Wouldn't that be easier to fake perfectly in photoshop than an offscreen pic?

Also took the same survey. Said Drake, Kratos, Ratchet, and Parappa (at least anyways) are in the game. Also said each character had their own specials. I took pictures as well but decided to not upload them. And the reason you don't take screen caps is because some of the surveys are able to check for it, and if it catches you, it boots you out of the survey, lol.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Sarcasm aside, I do think they have good character for the game

Toro/Kruo (Playstation mascot),Sackboy (fake mascot) Alundra,Arc,Sir Daniel Fortsque,Spike (and Specter), Parappa the Rapper, Sweet Tooth,Kratos,Rau Utu,Nariko,Jennifer Tate,Kat, Ellen (and Keats),Ari (and Stan), Jak (and daxter),Sly Cooper,Cole McGrath,Ratchet (and Clank and Captain Qwark),Nathan Drake,ICO ..they are all pretty good imho (there are many more I can't remember right now),hell they can pull it even without any extra third party characters.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I'll agree that "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale" is at least better than "Title Fight."

Quite a mouthful though.

Playstation Battle Opera is still the best name

Doubt anything will top that. It just pops.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sarcasm aside, I do think they have good character for the game

Toro/Kruo (Playstation mascot),Sackboy (fake mascot) Alundra,Arc,Sir Daniel Fortsque,Spike (and Specter), Parappa the Rapper, Sweet Tooth,Kratos,Rau Utu,Nariko,Jennifer Tate,Kat, Ellen (and Keats),Ari (and Stan), Jak (and daxter),Sly Cooper,Cole McGrath,Ratchet (and Clank and Captain Qwark),Nathan Drake,ICO ..they are all pretty good imho (there are many more I can't remember right now),hell they can pull it even without any extra third party characters.

Sarcasm aside, I totally agree that they have enough to work with. It probably still wouldn't be as popular as Smash Bros, but not a lot of things are.

Playstation Battle Opera is still the best name

Pretend I'm an American who knows nothing about anything Japanese. WTF is a Battle Opera?

The current name is dull, but it's understandable without any additional context.

jett

D-Member
Mail Sony, and redirect them to this thread. Complaining here about it won't do any good.

Not like they're gonna listen to me. :p

They should just drop the Playstation name from the title. It's not like Smash Bros is called Nintendo Generic Fighting Name.

I still do not get this title. Who asked for it? Who thought it was a good idea? This is the title you point to when talking about developers going under for bad decisions or publishers losing money for bad decisons. This screams hey look, capcom is selling fighting games lets everyone make one and milk the genre to death again yayyy! I swear is the gaming industry fated to repeat every mistake over and over again?

Huh? Having a Smash Bros. Sony version would be incredible...

Acrylic7

wouldn't it be better for Sony to use "Sony" instead of PlayStation
PlayStation is restrictive because it only has to do with characters associated with PlayStation games. But if you use Sony then this opens the roster up a bit more, right? Maybe they can through in characters from their movies? I'm really just saying this because Sony sounds a hell of a lot better.

or Just drop PlayStation

Tuck

Title lacks personality.

Nintendo didn't call Super Smash bros 'Nintendo All-Stars Smash.' They didn't have to.

jiggle

PlayStation is restrictive because it only has to do with characters associated with PlayStation games. But if you use Sony then this opens the roster up a bit more, right? Maybe they can through in characters from their movies? I'm really just saying this because Sony sounds a hell of a lot better.

or Just drop PlayStation

you think sony actually have that kind of corporate synergy?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

or Just drop PlayStation

Sony's Grand Brand Slam?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Battle Opera is not Japanese....

Battle = fight

Opera = show

Not much context is needed.

I googled Battle Opera and all the results seemed to be related to Tougeki, which sounds pretty Japanese to me.

People know what a battle is an what an opera is, but putting them together is classic Japanese word salad and that's not how games are titled anymore. Personally I don't care what it's called, I'm basing my judgment solely on market considerations.

Now that I'm thinking about it, "Title Fight" is simple and mildly clever due to the two meanings (if you want to grant that "title" is an intentional allusion to the titles in the Sony library) and even if a person is too dumb to notice the second meaning, the single entendre is completely understandable and relevant.

Sony Entertainment Network Battle Masters and All-Star Commanders The Far Side of the World Royale The Online Multiplayer Battle Experience .com

Less is more I think.

or Just drop PlayStation

Using Sony characters instead of just Playstation is such a good idea that we will never see it come from Sony.

Loudninja

Also took the same survey. Said Drake, Kratos, Ratchet, and Parappa (at least anyways) are in the game. Also said each character had their own specials. I took pictures as well but decided to not upload them. And the reason you don't take screen caps is because some of the surveys are able to check for it, and if it catches you, it boots you out of the survey, lol.
Sounds about right I am sure we will see Sackboy,Cole and Kevin butler :p

No look crossbow attack!

SmithnCo

Sony vS Seeker (yup, ripped straight from PkMN)
Sony Thrash Bros, lol
Sony Thrash Tournament
Sony All-stare Tournament
lol I dunno

anythings better than PlayStation All-star Battle Royal

Thrash is a little too on-the-nose. Might as well call it Ultra Thrash Kin: Rumble.

This name is just kinda generic, but it's not terrible. "All-Stars" might be unnecessary (and reminds me of Sega All-Stars) but whatever.

The "Sony doesn't have a big enough roster" claims are still ridiculous. They have plenty of recognizable characters.

prwxv3

I want this to be real just for all the butthurt and rage it would cause from everyone that gets mad at the mere thought that a company other then Nintendo would make a crossover fighter similar to smash bros.

Top Bottom