• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story is the most successful game in XSEED history

Kifimbo

Lock if old.

XSEED Games Releases New Standalone Version of The Last Story to replace the sold-out Premium Launch Edition

Highly Acclaimed Action RPG Title from Legendary Game Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Most Successful Title in Publisher’s History

Torrance, Calif., (November 20, 2012) – XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, is pleased to celebrate the success of its hit action RPG, The Last Story, by announcing that it is releasing an all-new standalone version of the Wii™ exclusive, which started shipping today to select retailers throughout North America at an MSRP of $29.99. In addition to this new standalone game package, any remaining copies of the premium launch units at retailers, which included a bonus 44-page softcover art book packaged together with the game in a custom outer box, are now available for $39.99.

“The Last Story has been an amazing title for XSEED Games and it has become our most successful title to date,” said Ken Berry, Executive Vice President at XSEED Games. “This is a must have title for RPG fans, and we’re looking forward to more players discovering the magic that lies in Lazulis Island.”

Malvingt2

Jonathan Holmes ‏@TronKnotts

The Last Story is XSeed's most successful game to date. Hope that helps us get a finely tuned sequel.

https://twitter.com/TronKnotts

Want some proof that Nintendo fans keep their word? All you have to do is look at the localization situation for The Last Story. While Nintendo wouldn't publish The Last Story here in the states, XSEED was willing to step in. Looks like the deal worked out for them, because The Last Story is now XSEED's most successful title to date. Hopefully we'll have some more concrete figures to go along with this story later today.

Banned site comment^

congrats to XSEED

Aeana

In terms of what? Profit? Perhaps that had to do with them not needing to actually translate the game?

I still have to pick this up. I've been meaning to, but I've been a bit preoccupied
and broke
to get it. Now I'll have to hunt down an elusive $39.99 copy...

Cool. Hopefully that will urge them to take more risks with future titles. Between them and Aksys, most of the niche games I want get localized.

Jay Sosa

Congrats, love companies like Xseed that bring us good stuff form overseas.

Never will play it though..for certain reasons.

Hiltz

In terms of what? Profit? Perhaps that had to do with them not needing to actually translate the game?

That is true, but it's still good news nonetheless. When Nintendo pulls this crap again on us, we can hopefully count on XSEED to save the day again.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hopefully the next time Nintendo doesn't want to localize something they kick it to Xseed again.

kunonabi

I'm very happy to hear that. Easily my game of the year. Any idea what the previous title (most successful) was for XSEED?

Seik

Banned
This is good news, I feared that it would not sell that much by the only fact that this is an RPG. The world isn't gone that bad after all. :p

BOTEC

Good news. I'll maybe pick up this second print to celebrate. It'll look nice on my shelf next to the Japanese and Euro versions.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
But.. but... Wii is not good for 3rd party games wah wah wah

I want you to take a ballpark guess how many copies The Last Story would need to sell to be XSEED's most successful game ever.

Then I want you to take a ballpark guess at how many games you think most publishers would consider a good total for an original title (IE not a title they simply licensed for US release).

UberTag

This thread makes me happy for The Last Story.
But sad for The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

You guys do know it is ESSENTIAL JRPG gaming like no other title aside from Xenoblade in the past 3-4 years, right?

Buy it on your PSPs. Your Vitas. Your Steam accounts. Your Vectrex systems.

XSeed should seriously look into picking up Pandora's Tower and Fatal Frame II Wii Edition imo. The games are already localized and there's still some life left in the niche Wii market as evidenced here.

I'm still sad they passed on Earth Seeker. Also Rodea, though they probably had little choice with that one.

Aeana

I want you to take a ballpark guess how many copies The Last Story would need to sell to be XSEED's most successful game ever.

Then I want you to take a ballpark guess at how many games you think most publishers would consider good.

I'm also wondering what the metric for success is here. Is it number of sales, or profit? Since the game was already translated and they licensed it, did it cost them less to release it?

LiK

SE should give their games to companies like XSEED or Atlus. Maybe we can finally play those good RPGs that they are depriving us while still shoving shitty ones down our throats here.

wrowa

I don't like the game very much, but it's great to see XSEED being happy with its sales. They are an awesome company, they deserve all the money they can possibly get.

Kazerei

Banned
Glad it worked out well for XSEED, and I'm super glad they picked up the game for localization! 'Cause stupid NOA wasn't going to. I did my part and bought a copy :)

Galang

Banned
Wow this is great! Everyone always talks about Xenoblade, but The Last Story was really good too. Nice to see it sold well, especially considering NOA didn't want to publish it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
NoE actually already localized the game.

Sure. Distribute something, then.

Xseed is already in the business of localization, so even if something is not already translated by NoE, it would probably be in their interest to do that themselves.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Thank you for going to the effort to sub license this from Nintendo, XSEED. I loved the game and you deserve the success for the effort of licensing it.

Not for the translation though. That's thanks to NoE. ;)

VICI0US

good to hear they found success with it.

xseed brought over some great games this gen and I look forward to seeing more from them in the future.

Top Bottom