• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade launches Kickstarter for more podcasts (lol) [110K Funded]

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/penny-arcades-podcast-downloadable-content-the-ret

This is just about the most vile and disgusting use of kickstarter that I've seen. These guys don't have the capital to start a podcast?

NvTcnKS.png

The thing is, if Michael Bay came along and wanted to do a Kickstarter we'd probably tell him, please don't. I would never want to scare the girl who wants to do a $500 lithography project, 'cause that's why we started this thing. We think we have a moral obligation to her.

source: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/174/why-kickstarter-wont-sell-or-go-public

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That... Huh.

I wouldn't say most disgusting, but it is a bit... Why do you need money to do this? Podcasts are, like, one of the easiest things to do creatively online. I don't think you'd need any money to do it, as all you have to do is be an interesting speaker.

Jarate

Banned
They might be looking at the fact that the podcast takes away the time they could be spending making actual money. Kickstarters also pay salaries. Not only that, but they could also be setting up an audio room so the podcast is more professional sounding.

This makes me want to say thank you to CheapyD. Dude has a site worth millions and will never ask for a dime for podcasting.

JDSN

Banned
Wow, a second Penny Arcade kickstarter, so shameless. Why do they say that its expensive to make if their project goal isa mere $10? Is that what the expensive equipment cost? Or do they set the goal so little that they would get whatever amount of money they gather?

But then again I thought this was gonna be about Richard Garriot Molyneux Zaff Brad Melissa Jhon Hart.

Atruvius

What's even more disgusting is that they don't have to worry about not hitting the goal, as the goal is only $10.

Gannd

Banned
They might be looking at the fact that the podcast takes away the time they could be spending making actual money. Kickstarters also pay salaries. Not only that, but they could also be setting up an audio room so the podcast is more professional sounding.

They can monetize it themselves. Penny Arcade is a hugely popular brand and they don't need donations to do this. It's tacky and cheap.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
they are not the first people to charge for podcasts

you are aware of that, right?

This is pretty bad... the ONLY way they are getting away with it is the fact of who they are. Anyone else trying this shit and wouldn't stand a chance in hell!

LevityNYC

Banned
I have trouble getting people to buy term insurance at 18 dollars a month to fund a half million dollar policy, or get people to put 35 dollars a month into a retirement plan so they won't be on government assistance when they are 65, yet these people are going to raise thousands upon thousands of dollars to "fund a podcast."

I'm in the wrong industry.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I didn't think they could possibly go this low. Is it Robert Khoo that has pushed them to become caricature scumbags with that fucking $10 goal? Jesus christ.

This is what Kickstarter is for now I guess. Free money for people that already have a shitload of it but want to sit on that for a rainy day.

Bsigg12

What's even more disgusting is that they don't have to worry about not hitting the goal, as the goal is only $10.

Yea, it's an easy way to make sure they pocket the money for it. Set the goal as low as possible and with enough followers and sites like GAF, people will see it and want in. They are already 1000x times over their goal....

ASIS

If you can get other people to fund stuff for you. Take advantage of it.

Pretty much how any business works. Ethics has no place in this.

In the real world though, that's looow.

Haunted

Never turn down free money.

Kickstarter...what has thou brought us to?
Like every good idea, a whole bunch of awesomeness, a whole bunch of mediocrity and a whole bunch of shit.

Up to the people which projects prevail.

bengraven

$10 goal?

That to me is basically saying "we don't have a goal".

"We just want your money".

Fuck them. This is the final nail in their coffin in my case: I've slowly been losing interest and respect in them over the last few years and this is just ridiculous and sick.

Edit: okay, I should probably calm down, but ha, seriously, fuck these guys.

Kajiba

Goal $10?

This shit is getting out of hand. Why are people just handing money over to people so easily.

pakkit

Banned
mom i need to borrow your credit card its really important.

the $10 goal shows that this is essentially a large donation pool.

Wow. if they don't get 20k they don't have a theme song. This is literally nothing but ripping off your hardcore fanbase. Maybe they're trying to get money while they still have one.

I want to meet someone that paid for their own college education and ask how many Kickstarter campaigns they've donated to.

Top Bottom